Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

hand of luke posted:

There are frogs! Ice frogs. You're right that there should be *more* frogs.
Er...rats then? Although I guess snapjaws are kinda like kobolds or skaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Yarrington posted:

Qud: Anybody played on a MacBook? I saw some steam reviews that mentioned the laptop key mappings were nearly unusable, is that accurate?

I played it on a netbook for years, just re bind stuff.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We need a psychic frog, clearly.

Welp, guess I'm going to have to do a Hypno-Toad run next time I play.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
So many new posts, and none of them are that Towerclimb Chapter 2 is out :negative:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I feel like I'm missing something in Cud. Is there an easy way to compare my armor/weapons to ones on the ground? Right now if I don't know if the item I'm looking at is better I hit E and unequip that slot and then look through the items to check. I feel like I'm doing this the hard way.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in Cud.

I think it's the Q.

Harminoff posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in Cud. Is there an easy way to compare my armor/weapons to ones on the ground? Right now if I don't know if the item I'm looking at is better I hit E and unequip that slot and then look through the items to check. I feel like I'm doing this the hard way.

To answer your actual question, not as far as I know. Honestly, though, just pick up everything, then when you're full return to town and sort through the poo poo there. Dump what you don't need on the merchants.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Unormal posted:

One of the initial techpatches should have fixed that. Though I'd be interested to hear otherwise. You can remap everything, so at worst it's only an issue till you remap stuff, which should only take a few minutes. If it needs it and someone makes one, I'd be interested in getting a macbook default keymap file.

The laptop keybindings completely break navigating menus, it's really really annoying to play with anything but a numpad. It's not unusable per say but it slows down play dramatically.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

The laptop keybindings completely break navigating menus, it's really really annoying to play with anything but a numpad. It's not unusable per say but it slows down play dramatically.

Hrm, ok, I'll take a look, that shouldn't be so.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Unormal posted:

Hrm, ok, I'll take a look, that shouldn't be so.

What is happening right now is yuhjklnm stay bound to up/down/left/right/etc/etc in menus when they should revert to their respective letters. So if you want to loot item 'b' from a chest you need to scroll to it and select it with space and then 'g'et it. If you wanted to loot item 'd' you just press 'd'.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

What is happening right now is yuhjklnm stay bound to up/down/left/right/etc/etc in menus when they should revert to their respective letters. So if you want to loot item 'b' from a chest you need to scroll to it and select it with space and then 'g'et it. If you wanted to loot item 'd' you just press 'd'.

Well, but then how do you you want to navigate the menus, if not your movement binds? Just arrow keys?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That's how every other roguelike does it.

e: I guess the other option would be to remove yuhjklbn from the list of items so the item list would go acdefgimop etc etc
e2: on further investigation this is the only roguelike I've played that even lets you scroll in your inventory/menus to select things with a cursor. Everyone else just lets you press the key for the item or to scroll the entire screen down with the arrow keys/pgup/pgdown if your inventory is larger than a-Z

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 23, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Sorry to steer the conversation away, but I just downloaded ADOM to give it a go and I can't get the tutorial to start, neither in the graphics version, nor the console version. In the graphics I click Start Tutorial and it takes me back to the main menu, in the console, the 's' key just does nothing. Anyone know anything about this?

e: NVM, I'm a dumb, after not finding anything in google, i discovered their bug forum, it's a known issue. Sorry...

The LP Megathread has a playthrough of the tutorial if you wanted to know what was inside of it (well, most of it, it misses the searching/quick move bits due to dying). It also has a winning ultra-ending playthrough if you want to read and learn from it until you don't want to be spoiled anymore.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mr. Wednesday posted:

So many new posts, and none of them are that Towerclimb Chapter 2 is out :negative:

It may have been drowned in Qud love, but I saw Davio tweet a few days ago that they're like 99% of the way to release :neckbeard:

I'm pretty excited, it's taken a long time.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I don't use the laptop binds (I'm used to using top-row numbers for diagonals after years of roguelikes on laptops, don't judge me) but I will note a problem with keys in CoQ on my Macbook Pro, which is that it doesn't recognize the delete key on the continue-saved-games screen so there's no way to get rid of old saves that the current version won't run.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

2: Not a big fan of that mutation overall, it caps out at ~25% chance to attack with your extra limbs.

Multiple Arms were significantly better in the non-Steam version where you inherited non DV/PV/Resistance qualities from the things you stuck in them, so you could shove a set of Ulnar Stimulators on your extra arms for the extra +1 Str +1 Agi. Same with all the multiple (X) mutations. Physical mutations are already generally weaker outside of a few standouts like Carapace, so I'm not sure why that feature was removed. I don't think 'four armed four legged guy has a couple extra points in stats lategame because he can safely use ulnar stimulators and the like without losing any PV' is a huge issue.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

CoQ: What do the dots in angle brackets <***> indicate? I don't think I've seen them before.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Glimpse posted:

CoQ: What do the dots in angle brackets <***> indicate? I don't think I've seen them before.

They're the tinkering bits the weapon consists of. You can disassemble that weapon to get doohickeys to make more gadgets.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

The LP Megathread has a playthrough of the tutorial if you wanted to know what was inside of it (well, most of it, it misses the searching/quick move bits due to dying). It also has a winning ultra-ending playthrough if you want to read and learn from it until you don't want to be spoiled anymore.

Thanks, looks quite detailed.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Happylisk posted:

I seem to recall the dev saying that the perk wheels have over legs or flight units is abundance. They're just easier to find generally.
Yup, wheels aren't really meant to be used except in an emergency where nothing else is available--easy to find because you can take them off almost any non-combat bot. Their advantage isn't in their stats. (Also, by design you can theoretically take pretty much anything from any robot, so there are a few parts that are inherently worse than all others.)

Happylisk posted:

Speaking of cogmind propulsion systems, I'm pleased with the buff to treads with regard to recoil. One day I'll get to the surface with a pure blaster build... one day.
You'd be the first. It hasn't been done yet because it falls on the very hard side for now, but it's getting increasingly possible with each release. Canceling recoil was one change aimed at making that approach more viable, and I'd like to buff treads even further since they're slow enough that you'll be forced to stand off against anything you encounter. Haven't come up with any other good ideas yet. Suggestions?

Unormal posted:

Since each character is a tile on an 80x25 grid, it would look very strange. It's not just rendering responsively on a blank canvas.
Funny, I have the exact opposite problem because I use a 80x60 grid, so one of the more frequent complaints is Bigger Font Please! All I can say is get a bigger screen to fit a bigger font :/ (I did just add a big batch of more readable terminal fonts which helped a number of players, but it's not a perfect solution for those with poor eyesight who might have trouble reading a small grid at all.)

Ah, traditional roguelike design meets modern gamers... I don't suppose Qud players would be satisfied running the game in a window rather than fullscreen? At least with Qud there's that solution (that's how I play any roguelikes with a smaller grid, but then :stare: I also play Cogmind this way, too).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kyzrati posted:

Yup, wheels aren't really meant to be used except in an emergency where nothing else is available--easy to find because you can take them off almost any non-combat bot. Their advantage isn't in their stats. (Also, by design you can theoretically take pretty much anything from any robot, so there are a few parts that are inherently worse than all others.)

You'd be the first. It hasn't been done yet because it falls on the very hard side for now, but it's getting increasingly possible with each release. Canceling recoil was one change aimed at making that approach more viable, and I'd like to buff treads even further since they're slow enough that you'll be forced to stand off against anything you encounter. Haven't come up with any other good ideas yet. Suggestions?

Funny, I have the exact opposite problem because I use a 80x60 grid, so one of the more frequent complaints is Bigger Font Please! All I can say is get a bigger screen to fit a bigger font :/ (I did just add a big batch of more readable terminal fonts which helped a number of players, but it's not a perfect solution for those with poor eyesight who might have trouble reading a small grid at all.)

Ah, traditional roguelike design meets modern gamers... I don't suppose Qud players would be satisfied running the game in a window rather than fullscreen? At least with Qud there's that solution (that's how I play any roguelikes with a smaller grid, but then :stare: I also play Cogmind this way, too).

I run qud windowed now, the launcher screen for steamqud is a godsend.

Edit: I've been thinking recently, i have no idea how feasible it would be but i would really love it if i could specify running qud with a longer x axis so that the UI panel doesn't have to cover a third of the map.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

I read all of the requests for "smaller font please" as "your message log sucks", which is a very valid complaint.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Message log is perfectly servicable until you get your 4 armed death tornado going, in which case it dramatically shits the bed.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Unormal posted:

I read all of the requests for "smaller font please" as "your message log sucks", which is a very valid complaint.

A seen foes list would also be neat if you could find the room for it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

A seen foes list would also be neat if you could find the room for it.

One of the sidebars has one, in theory, if I didn't break it in the steam version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I want a way to see detailed attack rolls with terse everything else.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Unormal posted:

Qud's messages are already fairly short; I think the most serious issue is that the log is crammed into a narrow 24-cell strip on the right side that forces a lot of newlines, making it harder to follow than a wider topside log. Not something you're likely to redesign at this point, though :/

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

Qud's messages are already fairly short; I think the most serious issue is that the log is crammed into a narrow 24-cell strip on the right side that forces a lot of newlines, making it harder to follow than a wider topside log. Not something you're likely to redesign at this point, though :/

No, I'm def. not redesigning the actual console UI... but I can probably start moving pieces of UI out into the unity shell and do some really cool stuff. For instance imagine a small font message log just sort of scrolling up from the very bottom of the screen and fading away.

I could probably go so far as to do things like paperdoll inventory and stuff... but not this week.

V LOL

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

My wife, 'what are you playing?'
'caves of qud'
'what's a qud?'
'uhhh'
'and why is it in a cave?'
'uhhhh'

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Maelephant posted:

My guess is you accidentally named yourself '', and spawned an Evil ''.

This happened to me as well. I think if your evil twin spawns on the first turn they dont get a name

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Unormal posted:

No, I'm def. not redesigning the actual console UI... but I can probably start moving pieces of UI out into the unity shell and do some really cool stuff. For instance imagine a small font message log just sort of scrolling up from the very bottom of the screen and fading away.
I think that would go over really well and can see you doing some cool stuff once the engine setup you've got is ever so slightly less hackish.

Also, I was just browsing the Qud forums on Steam and... oh my I'm glad I'm not on Steam yet :suicide:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The steam forums for Qud are even more of a horrible cesspit than most steam forums.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Oh crap, I think I might be stuck in Qud. I'm in the Rust area and went down to the bottom of one of them, then went back to the top but apparently the stairs to the surface are just gone; searching for them gives me a message that none are nearby. Can enough amoeba slime 'bury' stairs or something? I killed a couple around them. Do I have any debug options or something?

EDIT: Got back to the world with the noclip; glad those commands are there! Looked like the upstairs and downstairs spawned in the same tile on level 2.

ellbent fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 23, 2015

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ellbent posted:

Oh crap, I think I might be stuck in Qud. I'm in the Rust area and went down to the bottom of one of them, then went back to the top but apparently the stairs to the surface are just gone; searching for them gives me a message that none are nearby. Can enough amoeba slime 'bury' stairs or something? I killed a couple around them. Do I have any debug options or something?

EDIT: Got back to the world with the noclip; glad those commands are there! Looked like the upstairs and downstairs spawned in the same tile on level 2.

Ive also had this problem in the red rock. I came back to the top level and the stairs were gone. I went exploring the cave system and got very lost and dead.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."

Isaac posted:

This happened to me as well. I think if your evil twin spawns on the first turn they dont get a name

Better than what used to happen if they spawned on the first turn -- you'd load up Joppa to see hundreds of Evil Twins occupying almost every tile.

Maelephant fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 23, 2015

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

MJ12 posted:

Multiple Arms were significantly better in the non-Steam version where you inherited non DV/PV/Resistance qualities from the things you stuck in them, so you could shove a set of Ulnar Stimulators on your extra arms for the extra +1 Str +1 Agi. Same with all the multiple (X) mutations. Physical mutations are already generally weaker outside of a few standouts like Carapace, so I'm not sure why that feature was removed. I don't think 'four armed four legged guy has a couple extra points in stats lategame because he can safely use ulnar stimulators and the like without losing any PV' is a huge issue.

Non AV/DV bonus on items equipped on extra limbs are supposed to work. They may be broken, though.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Maelephant posted:

Better than what used to happen if they spawned on the first turn -- you'd load up Joppa to see hundreds of Evil Twins occupying almost every tile.

(+10 mutation points) Philandering Evil Father

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

hand of luke posted:

Non AV/DV bonus on items equipped on extra limbs are supposed to work. They may be broken, though.

So you're saying that going quad shields doesn't and isn't intend to work? I DEMAND A REFUND :byodood:

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

Uh. Ow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep. Even if you have a lot of AV they roll enough dice to gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Unormal posted:

I could probably go so far as to do things like paperdoll inventory and stuff... but not this week.

V LOL

Or use your smoke animation code to have the damage numbers "float away" from the player (and target). It's where the player is looking, so it's arguably the best place to put them.