Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CCKeane posted:

2) My logic is inconsistent, but goes something like this: "My read on this guy is X, but I'm terrible at reading, so I must be wrong. Therefore, they are actually Y." Again, that logic has been used inconsistently without me noticing until now.

Can you explain this a bit more? It is pretty confusing, and I tend to quickly lose interest in things I find confusing.

That was my reasoning on the Opop and MMT.

Basically, I know from previous experience that I am absolutely terrible at reading scum. I'm ok at townreads, but poo poo at scumreads. So, whenever I think someone must be scum, I figure I'm wrong and use that as a weak townread.

On the other hand, in a misguided attempt to improve, I decided to stick with a pair of scumreads I had without considering that I could have been wrong. Thus, Keane and PMom.

Anyway, a misguided OMGUS is still an OMGUS. ##unvote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I am having a hard time getting into this game!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

QuoProQuid posted:

you are just mad because i ate you

and my point is, "why defend yourself for something that doesn't need to be defended?" Saying "oh noooooo, i didn't really want to win" just comes off as superficially townie to me imho.
I don't agree with the Roy case. It's just an explanation of his strategy-- scum could want both prize or lynchproof so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Roy iirc also said he likes to ~think out loud~ for the benefit of the town so he just comes across as a player who wants to explain things ... which isn't scummy.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Segur says that I must make a decision today.

So I must wade into this battle of words like I stride into the middle of an arena: with no fear. Today I have the luxury of knowing that I will still be standing when the dust settles, but the future is uncertain and ever changing.

Gambler, who is your trifecta for today?

PMom, you seem focused on ANarc but do you have other targets?

I must admit I have been aloof and unconcerned about today since winning the challenge. However, that must change because danger is all around and though I will embrace death when the time comes, I wish it to be in glorious battle!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I have a draft on Ecco but gtg now bbl~

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

OmegaGoo posted:

4) I have explained my stance on Keane. Apparently that's a "silly" case.
My case on Pmom is approximately the same. Apparently not explaining a vote isn't inherently scummy, though, so perhaps I am wrong.

Your vote on Keane wasn't necessarily bad. Your defense of the vote was bad since you brought up his not giving his reasoning after he gave his reasoning.

Not explaining your vote to the person you're voting for makes sense because if they are scum, you aren't letting them know how to avoid more suspicion.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Yeah, I realized that after I had time to cool off. Frustration does stupid things to my brain.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Guys, its ecco.

I feel it in my bones.

I was right about Ecco last time and is posting the same way.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

garthoneeye posted:

Your vote on Keane wasn't necessarily bad. Your defense of the vote was bad since you brought up his not giving his reasoning after he gave his reasoning.

Not explaining your vote to the person you're voting for makes sense because if they are scum, you aren't letting them know how to avoid more suspicion.

Whoa what? You called me out for this.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

garthoneeye posted:

no!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TMMadman posted:

PMom, you seem focused on ANarc but do you have other targets?
opop

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
A Story of the Game:

EccoRaven posted:

##vote capitalist pig

CapitalistPig posted:

OMG, YOU SCUM #vote ecco

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

A Story of the Game:

Tbf, you are scum IRL.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I agree w/pmom about opop.

##vote opop

I would also and have vote(d) for Good re: the keane case.

I think Birdstrike is really townie.

These are my thoughts.

CCKeane posted:

Tbf, you are scum IRL.

well I mean I am an attorney...

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CCKeane posted:

Whoa what? You called me out for this.

Right, but then you explained your vote.

His defense made no mention of your subsequent explanation.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

But I thought you said I didn't have to explain my vote, because that would tip off scum as to how they are acting scummy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

A trifecta?

Well, ok, here's what I'm going to throw out there:

As established, I am terrible at scumreads. So instead of "who do I think is scum", I'm going to tell you "who do I think is the least town". Same results, different thought process.

PMom: posting, but giving little information, occasionally empty-quoting him(her?)self. Does that make them scum? Not necessarily, but I don't see how that actually helps town regardless.

Merk: I understand this is normal for him? Whatever, I still don't like it.

imgay: PMom, except even less relevant. The one content-related thing he's said is "I don't like cases on D1 because needless rhetoric tends to be townread, even though scum do it all the time." Which, while an actual good point, is still the only thing he's said.

garthoneeye posted:

I was asked to "explain my vote using information that occurred before I made my vote". While my explanation occurred after his explanation, his explanation occurred after my vote.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

I was asked to "explain my vote using information that occurred before I made my vote". While my explanation occurred after his explanation, his explanation occurred after my vote.

Goo is correct in this interpretation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this isn't normal for merk, and i have tons of content tyvm :colbert:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

this isn't normal for merk, and i have tons of content tyvm :colbert:

You have two cases, one of which is the majority of your content... and it's a slapfight with opop.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

sure, but my cases are on scum.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

sure, but my cases are on scum.

I have no problem with the cases; I have a problem with the slapfight.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

how so?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CCKeane posted:

But I thought you said I didn't have to explain my vote, because that would tip off scum as to how they are acting scummy.

I don't think you have to explain your vote to the person you're voting for if they press you.

I think explaining votes in general supports town, but I don't care if you explain your vote if the only person asking is the target.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Because during the slapfight, you said even less than you're saying to me now in more posts. How do you even do that?

Again, this is not a scumread. This is a "possibly not town" read.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

Because during the slapfight, you said even less than you're saying to me now in more posts. How do you even do that?

Again, this is not a scumread. This is a "possibly not town" read.

This is continuing the trend I highlighted before of Goo qualifying his reads and walking them back.

Note his read on PMom isn't scum, but "not town"

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CCKeane posted:

This is continuing the trend I highlighted before of Goo qualifying his reads and walking them back.

Note his read on PMom isn't scum, but "not town"

To be fair, he has said he doesn't trust his scum reads so he instead talks about people he isn't sure are town.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't want to dunk Goo today. His reads are self-conscious, but they don't read like scummy self-conscious.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don't mind PMom's style. He gives reasons he thinks people are scum, then lets the targets potentially hang themselves.

There's no use in continuing to pound the same case; just let your cases stand for themselves and remind people of who you think are scum.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't want to dunk Goo today. His reads are self-conscious, but they don't read like scummy self-conscious.

I agree. Right now I lean towards ANarc.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

garthoneeye posted:

To be fair, he has said he doesn't trust his scum reads so he instead talks about people he isn't sure are town.

I did say this.

OmegaGoo posted:

3) No matter what I do at this point, I am going to look like I am waffling on my opinions, and that's my own drat fault for not thinking things through.

OmegaGoo posted:

A trifecta?

Well, ok, here's what I'm going to throw out there:

As established, I am terrible at scumreads. So instead of "who do I think is scum", I'm going to tell you "who do I think is the least town". Same results, different thought process.occurred after my vote.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

Regardless, it speaks of the same reason I am voting him, continued qualifications in statements and walking them back. Saying you don't trust your scum reads is also performing the same action, it is setting yourself up as merely confused and mistaken once your target flips town.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to stick on Pmom but I'd go for Ecco

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ecco because?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

I agree on Ecco, looks like a smokescreen to defend Pmom against me.

Don't like their defending you and the points on me are super weak and strechy.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Pinterest Mom posted:

Ecco because?

Because OMGUS clearly

EccoRaven posted:

I agree w/pmom about opop.

##vote opop

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Because OMGUS clearly

This is the first time you comment on opop, do you think his vote on Ecco is scummy?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Gambler, Segur admires your enthusiasm and energy but feels you lack direction. He is reminded of a kitten with a ball of yarn.

PMom, Segur is not quite sure about ANarc yet but he does agree that Opopanax smells fishy. I could agree with this vote.

For now, the search continues.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Because OMGUS clearly

Yes. I omgused Ecco by saying they were scummy the day before they voted me. I'm a precog, it's how I'm so good at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

yuming posted:

Ecco is also giving me ~vibes~

Did anyone do anything scummy during the challenge?

I'm gonna ##vote Ecco because of the feeling her posts give me.

yuming posted:

She did clarify~

Does anyone else think Ecco is scummy? Take a look please.

yuming posted:

I have a draft on Ecco but gtg now bbl~

I'm getting a scum vibe on yuming. If she was town I'd expect more of an effort to actually confirm/explain what it is about Ecco that she finds scummy; this seems more like an attempt to visibly have an opinion for the sake of not arousing suspicion.

• Locked thread