Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just moved in with a new roommate who's also a sucker for survival games, so I'm back to modding MC. But there's a slight problem: he runs on a 32-bit processor/OS. While it can handle modded MC just fine, his Java is throttled at 1 gig which makes adapting my existing pack (based on Resonant Rise 3) drat near impossible thanks to the orgy of mods you can't remove without breaking it. What would be a good, light pack to start slapping things onto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
There is only so much Mojang can do to stop someone from repeatedly popping up new servers with the same garbage pay addons on them. Also I'm pretty sure 32 bit java can do more than 1 gb of memory, but he may have to update it to a newer version. If he only has like 2 gb of memory though, that's a different story.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just moved in with a new roommate who's also a sucker for survival games, so I'm back to modding MC. But there's a slight problem: he runs on a 32-bit processor/OS. While it can handle modded MC just fine, his Java is throttled at 1 gig which makes adapting my existing pack (based on Resonant Rise 3) drat near impossible thanks to the orgy of mods you can't remove without breaking it. What would be a good, light pack to start slapping things onto?

Laugh at him for running a 32-bit OS in TYOOL 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I thought mojang was trying to crack down on this kind of thing?

I have never heard of them cracking down on it. It's definitely against the TOS but despite servers like them being reported I've never heard of one being taken down.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The biggest thing is the wording on it, you're not buying anything, it's a donation "perk" which, in most people's mind (whether or not that makes it legal is another thing..) makes it ok. They just use these cosmetics and keys like PBS tote bags, as a "thank you," for donating.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

He could buy a computer for $200 that annihilates his current one.

Laugh at him.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Every time I install shader mods, my mouse starts hiccuping really badly. Instead of being able to turn 360 degrees in a smooth circle, I get small stutters and jump the entire time. The game is at 30-50+ fps, so it's not like my machine is grinding to a halt. Is this common, and is there a fix?

I'm on 1.8-Forge11.14.3.1450, with OptiFine_1.8.0_HD-U_D5.jar and ShadersMod-v2.4.12mc1.8.jar in the mod folder, and Sildurs Vibrant Shaders v1.08 High and Lite in the shaderpack folder.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 23, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Use fastcraft instead of optifine

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Taffer posted:

Use fastcraft instead of optifine

It appears the latest version is for 1.7.10 and was updated in August 2014. http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=165893 This wouldn't work, would it?

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm on 1.8-Forge11.14.3.1450

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Oh, I assumed you were on 1.7. No, it won't work.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I have never heard of them cracking down on it. It's definitely against the TOS but despite servers like them being reported I've never heard of one being taken down.

Actually selling items normally available in the game is against the tos, but lots of servers are selling stuff like claim blocks or ranks that allow extra chat or other online server options that are not part of the Minecraft system persé

as long as you cannot get the item normally in Vanilla minecraft then its not going to violate the Mojang TOS as you are selling something they don't make....

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Actually selling items normally available in the game is against the tos, but lots of servers are selling stuff like claim blocks or ranks that allow extra chat or other online server options that are not part of the Minecraft system persé

as long as you cannot get the item normally in Vanilla minecraft then its not going to violate the Mojang TOS as you are selling something they don't make....

No, the TOS specifically forbids selling items that affect gameplay. It's not limited to vanilla items.

Edit: On an unrelated note, it's half depressing, half amusing seeing parcel31u gently caress up ME^4 worse and worse the more he updates it. Fluxed Crystals isn't even in the modpack anymore, and that was like one of the core mods.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 23, 2015

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone have suggestions for a cheap mc server host for Baby's First Space Race? (preferably in EU)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

roxservers.com have been good to me. They're insanely cheap too if you go for the user-limited package. A server with 6 CCUs is around €5 per month, and they run moderately heavy modpacks just fine. They'll even install the mods for you if you ask nicely.

Actually that reminds me - is there any chance of Hexxit being updated in the near future? Or is there a similar pack around for 1.7 or 1.8? I'm looking for something that encourages exploration more than building up one enormous base, with reasons to fight mobs and hunt for stuff in the world, and ideally with self-documenting mods (that seems to be mostly magic for some reason). I'm trying to introduce some less hardcore players to modded minecraft, and I know they've played hexxit in the past.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

roxservers.com have been good to me. They're insanely cheap too if you go for the user-limited package. A server with 6 CCUs is around €5 per month, and they run moderately heavy modpacks just fine. They'll even install the mods for you if you ask nicely.

Actually that reminds me - is there any chance of Hexxit being updated in the near future? Or is there a similar pack around for 1.7 or 1.8? I'm looking for something that encourages exploration more than building up one enormous base, with reasons to fight mobs and hunt for stuff in the world, and ideally with self-documenting mods (that seems to be mostly magic for some reason). I'm trying to introduce some less hardcore players to modded minecraft, and I know they've played hexxit in the past.

Supposedly one of the new Technic packs coming out this summer is Hexxit 2. Assuming they ever get the art assets done.

Of course, it's been two weeks since the last time they posted any news, so who knows what the hell is going on over there.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, Hexxit 2 is nice and all but I want updated Blightfall.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
So we just discovered today that Redstone Arsenal has a slight bug. This bug being that Fluid Transposers cannot accept diamonds in order to turn them into Flux Crystals.

Flux Crystals that are ingredients for MAKING THE THINGS THE MOD ADDS. :argh:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Howmuch posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap mc server host for Baby's First Space Race? (preferably in EU)

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/

This is basically the best way to host a MC server for a small group of friends. You can get as good a server as you need for your mod pack that is local to just about anywhere, and you can just chain free trials till your done with the mod pack or run out of friends with email accounts.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

So we just discovered today that Redstone Arsenal has a slight bug. This bug being that Fluid Transposers cannot accept diamonds in order to turn them into Flux Crystals.

Minetweaker the recipy so you can craft flux crystals with a block of redstone and a diamond.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Black Pants posted:

Unable to make Flux Crystals (Redstone Armory 1.7.10-1.2.0-35) #689 is fixed in Redstone Arsenal [1.7.10]1.1.1-89, at least with all of the updates as tested for Modderation: Permabanned 1.1.5 (and FYAD).

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Black Pants posted:

The bug was in TE and it's been fixed for over a week.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

The bug was in TE and it's been fixed for over a week.

Without ChangeLogs, how are we to know which release has which fixes? :)

Though in the case of TE, we have this which has:

quote:

FIXED:
-Fixed an issue with the Fluid Transposer not handling certain OreDictionary names.

It doesn't refer to the Bug # (nor does the bug # refer to a release) and the minor updates don't have release notes, just the major. ;)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Not exactly a modding question, but I can't find the general MC thread. I'm looking for a way to have cheats available for more only SOME of the players in a LAN world, rather than the way the settings seem to work at this point which is to have either the host with cheats or everyone with cheats.

Unless you can think of another way to achieve this in an educational setting. Computers are locked down so modding isn't exactly an option. I'm trying to explore ways to easily give some students "superpowers" and others not in order to talk about justice, democracy, religion, and stuff like that. What kind of options do I have in LAN worlds?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I suppose there's always /give-ing super-enchanted diamond gear to the chosen Powers That Be and a single wood pickaxe to the proles :v:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

tuyop posted:

Not exactly a modding question, but I can't find the general MC thread. I'm looking for a way to have cheats available for more only SOME of the players in a LAN world, rather than the way the settings seem to work at this point which is to have either the host with cheats or everyone with cheats.

Unless you can think of another way to achieve this in an educational setting. Computers are locked down so modding isn't exactly an option. I'm trying to explore ways to easily give some students "superpowers" and others not in order to talk about justice, democracy, religion, and stuff like that. What kind of options do I have in LAN worlds?

might be worthwhile checking with your It department to see if they'd let you set up a server for the duration of the lesson. Its not like you'd need a ton of resources. on a proper server ops have access to cheats.

That said, you'd need accounts for everyone in that case.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

tuyop posted:

Use KCauldron and PermissionsEx to setup a group with access to the /give commands, along with the default permissions everyone else has.

e.g. Permissions Ex - Basic Permissions Setup.

For a simpler option, if you trust those certain users you can just give them Operator (/op PLAYERNAME) as the host (or from a dedicated server, which is easy to setup). If you have a spare computer (or virtual machine) you can use MultiMC to set up a simple hosted server.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, it's half depressing, half amusing seeing parcel31u gently caress up ME^4 worse and worse the more he updates it. Fluxed Crystals isn't even in the modpack anymore, and that was like one of the core mods.

Good, that mod was total grindy garbage next to a (mostly) good modpack otherwise.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So I'm playing Mindfold Paradox now. I really like it, the spaceship is well put together (with vents you can break into and walk around in, even), the Paradox mod is an interesting way of making resources out of nothing, and the quests give a good sense of progression. There's even room for you to do clever things like scavenging certain parts of the ship to gain access to more resources.

I ran into a couple of problems though. First off, I made a darkroom on the top of the spaceship and nothing spawns in it so there must be some special spawning rules in play. Second, I can't get passive mobs to spawn on the top or inside the ship. I think this might be because 90% of the ship is Ocean biome and the part that isn't is Beach. Animals can't spawn in Ocean or Beach, so it looks like in the map given with the latest update you have to go off and build a floating platform to get passive spawns. I also can't seem to get squid to spawn but that isn't really a problem since I can manufacture ink and there's a squid spawn card too.

Edit: oh, it's worse than I thought. The only nearby biomes are Ocean, Deep Ocean, River, Beach, and Desert. All of which cannot spawn passive mobs. There's a Savanna way back behind the ship all the way out near draw distance. Take my advice and just spawn in breeding pairs of the animals once you have access to grass.

Taffer posted:

Good, that mod was total grindy garbage next to a (mostly) good modpack otherwise.

Are you talking about the same mod I am? Fluxed Crystals was like an alternative to Magical Crops that used RF and had some configs for changing how the "crops" grew. I don't see how that could be considered grindy, and it compensated for minechem being nerfed to hell. Now, the quests relating to Fluxed Crystals, THOSE were loving grindy garbage. Seriously, those compressed theobromine quests... That said, it WAS a laggy, buggy mess, and only after a third party patch was it playable on ME^4 1.0.4.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 24, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lolmer posted:

Use KCauldron and PermissionsEx to setup a group with access to the /give commands, along with the default permissions everyone else has.

e.g. Permissions Ex - Basic Permissions Setup.

For a simpler option, if you trust those certain users you can just give them Operator (/op PLAYERNAME) as the host (or from a dedicated server, which is easy to setup). If you have a spare computer (or virtual machine) you can use MultiMC to set up a simple hosted server.

I do have VM software in the lab to test some server stuff on since it sounds like LAN play won't work for what I have in mind. Last year I tried running a server and there was some kind of firewall in place that restricted us to LAN play. Is it possible to make a server work like a LAN somehow, if that makes sense?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Works fine on Crackpack

Darcat
Sep 25, 2014

Yo guys me and some buddies tried to play some mod packs over a LAN server, over the two we tried (ftb infinity and then omp) we kept having the annoying rear end issue wherein opening up the inventory causes a crash. It works fine in single player so I assume its the server hosted by me but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. We talked about it for a while trying to figure it out and the only thing we could really figure is that Tinkers Construct had something vaguely to do with it just based off this line here in the crash log

at tconstruct.client.tabs.InventoryTabKnapsack.shouldAddToList(InventoryTabKnapsack.java:23)

Other than that I can't really think of any other info to offer to help solve this but anyways any help would be immensely appreciated after that waste of a night

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Are there any big modpacks with tech and magic stuff that have HQM to push you in directions and progressions that aren't frustrating "hardcore" experiences?

Didn't there used to be a yogs pack that was basically this? That was forever ago though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I do have VM software in the lab to test some server stuff on since it sounds like LAN play won't work for what I have in mind. Last year I tried running a server and there was some kind of firewall in place that restricted us to LAN play. Is it possible to make a server work like a LAN somehow, if that makes sense?

"Open to LAN" feature requires very specific mods if you want to actually do "advanced" things like op a guy. Just run a dedicated server on your pc, then have people join that, it'll end up being much easier than the alternative.

And yes, other people should see the server like normal if they're on the same LAN.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Signed up for roxservers and they are indeed insanely cheap and awesome. Thanks for that!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

Are there any big modpacks with tech and magic stuff that have HQM to push you in directions and progressions that aren't frustrating "hardcore" experiences?

Didn't there used to be a yogs pack that was basically this? That was forever ago though.

Material Energy 3 and 4 are really fun, minus a few grindy quests. They're guided in a custom made map that sets everything up almost like it's own game in itself. Impact Flux is also really fun, and takes place in a normal open world so you can mix doing your own thing and doing the quests as you please.

McFrugal posted:

Are you talking about the same mod I am? Fluxed Crystals was like an alternative to Magical Crops that used RF and had some configs for changing how the "crops" grew. I don't see how that could be considered grindy, and it compensated for minechem being nerfed to hell. Now, the quests relating to Fluxed Crystals, THOSE were loving grindy garbage. Seriously, those compressed theobromine quests... That said, it WAS a laggy, buggy mess, and only after a third party patch was it playable on ME^4 1.0.4.

Yeah. I dislike mods that let you get any resource through the same method, especially when they have so many pointless manual steps, and leave behind so many intermediate items. Plant the seeds, break the plants with a custom tool, then place those crystals and break them again with a custom tool, then place THOSE crystals into a machine that refines them, then finally place the result into a final machine that will produce your output with an unknown number of crystals.

Conceptually, it's just really bland. Make anything with crystals!... Just because. There are lots of ways to gather resources in MC, and many mods have their own unique take on it. Being able to get almost any important resource all through growing it from the ground even when it makes no sense is basically the bottom of the barrel from a design perspective. Unlike some other things that have Conceptually or thematically interesting steps, e.g. ore to dust to ingots with metals, which makes sense and adds an interesting progression, fluxed crystals just goes seeds to crystals to crystals to crystals to.... Anything.

Not only that but automating it is, depending on the step, either really annoying or not possible, at least with what ME4 gives you. So it's just a ton of busywork, where if you need a resource badly you basically just sit around waiting for it to grow so you can manually take it through all the steps, or leave and come back later and be really annoyed by all the steps it requires. On top of all that, the steps just leave you with a bunch of junk. You get shitloads of extra seeds which you don't need, then after all the refining processes you're left with a bunch of leftover crystals because each thing takes a different arbitrary number of crystals to "balance" it, instead of balancing with something like power consumption or growth speed.

And yeah, it's definitely not helped along by the grindy quests that ME4 added for it.

Minechem and magical crops have many of the same problems, but they at least don't have ALL of the flaws that fluxed crystals does. Generally I hate Minechem, but overall I feel like ME4's use of it was pretty good (except when you needed a ton of soul sand).

Taffer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Taffer posted:

Material Energy 3 and 4 are really fun, minus a few grindy quests. They're guided in a custom made map that sets everything up almost like it's own game in itself. Impact Flux is also really fun, and takes place in a normal open world so you can mix doing your own thing and doing the quests as you please.

I got quickly fed up with me3 when I tried it last, it didn't start with enough basics and there was no exploration. I'll look at Impact Flux though, thanks. :)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

lolmer posted:

Without ChangeLogs, how are we to know which release has which fixes? :)

Though in the case of TE, we have this which has:

It doesn't refer to the Bug # (nor does the bug # refer to a release) and the minor updates don't have release notes, just the major. ;)

I don't understand. You just quoted the changelog and then said we don't have changelogs.

But in general, here's how it works - mods should remain up to date. That's really it. Whatever the most recent release is, that should be the one you use.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwUm2a_Fplo
That was made using vanilla minecraft. How compact could he have made that using some mods?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

I don't understand. You just quoted the changelog and then said we don't have changelogs.

But in general, here's how it works - mods should remain up to date. That's really it. Whatever the most recent release is, that should be the one you use.

The ChangeLog doesn't mention the bug # for easy tracking, but I mentioned the intermediate updates, e.g. 3.03B1-89 to 3.03B2-98 don't tell us what changed. You guys are getting better at ChangeLogs and at least have them for the full revisions (e.g. 3.0.2 -> 3.0.3) now, which is nice. :)

My ChangeLogs for Modderation: Permabanned often look like this, using files marked as "Release" on CurseForge:

quote:

• CoFHCore updated from 3.0.3B4-302 to 3.0.3-303.
    • Insert repeated snarky comment about lack of ChangeLogs here.
  • CoFHLib updated from 1.0.3B4-174 to 1.0.3-175.
    • Insert repeated snarky comment about lack of ChangeLogs here.

So what changed? Who knows, it may fix a bug or not, but both CoFHLib 1.03B4-174 and 1.03-175 are (were, the B* named files which were marked as "R" appear removed now) marked as "Release" in CurseForge, but neither have ChangeLogs to know what changed. That's what I was referring to about no ChangeLogs. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tuyop posted:

You can set offline mode in the server's config and it will allow people to connect without authenticating. This works from LAN.