Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

:d: What are Gacha Games?
http://www.serkantoto.com/2012/02/21/gacha-social-games/

quote:

Gashapon is a Bandai brand trademark widely used throughout the world for their capsule toys. It is also referred to as gachapon. Both gashapon and gachapon are Japanese onomatopoeia, made up of two sounds: “gasha” or “gacha” for the turning of a crank on a toy vending machine, and “pon” for the sound of the toy capsule dropping into the receptacle.

It is used to describe both the machines themselves, and any toy obtained from them.

Gashapon machines are similar to the coin-operated toy vending machines seen outside of grocery stores and other retailers in other countries.

:d: What's Hot?

Dragon Ball: Dokkan Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ljJeimIiM

:d: In-Depth Game Posts

The Devil Tesla posted:

This poo poo is loving awful.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One Piece: Treasure Cruise
Available for: iOS and Android devices in English, French and Japanese

Form your own pirate crew and set sail for adventure!
Use the simple tap controls to pull off powerful combos!
The world of One Piece awaits you!

- An All-New Battle System Made Just for Your Smartphone!
ONE PIECE TREASURE CRUISE features intuitive tap controls that’ll have you sending foes flying in no time! Tap your characters at the right time to form combos and deal massive damage! What’s more, each character possesses unique special abilities that make battles even more exciting! Re-enact thrilling showdowns from the original story using your favorite One Piece characters!

- Relive Your Favorite Moments from the One Piece Storyline!
The tale begins in Fushia Village, where a young Luffy has his fateful encounter with Red-Haired Shanks. With each Quest you complete, another chapter of the epic tale unfolds, allowing you to experience the magnificent story of One Piece all over again!

- Form a Crew with Your Favorite One Piece Characters!
Collect WANTED posters in battle and head to the Tavern to recruit new characters for your crew! There are tons of recruits available, including both major and supporting characters! Gather your favorite pirates and train them to become the mightiest crew to ever sail the seas!

- Perform “Tandem” Attacks to Deal Huge Damage!
Chain together attacks with certain characters in a specific order to perform a Tandem attack that deals incredible damage to all enemies!

Questions
Q: How does the game play?
A: The closest analog I can think of is the Super Mario RPG series - you pick a character to attack with and time a tap with their animation to maximize damage. You can attack with all six of your characters per turn, with multipliers affecting how much damage each subsequent character does. Each character has a base element that trumps another element (think Pokemon) and a special move that is charged over time.

Q: How much grind/F2P bullshit is there?
A: Most of the game's best units can be farmed and aren't locked behind paywalls. You earn 1 unit of in-game currency (gems) per day, plus ~10 per Grand Line island you complete. Rolling for Premium characters costs 5 gems, and there's a rate-up event once per month that increases the odds of rolling a rare premium character. As with most F2P games, playtime is limited by a stamina meter that is spent on missions - the higher the mission rank, the more stamina spent at once. ***99% OF THE TIME, DONT SPEND YOUR PREMIUM CURRENCY REFILLING THIS METER***

Q: How much of One Piece's story is covered?
A: The Worldwide version of the game is currently on the first half of the Alabasta arc and the Japanese version is at Water-7. However, it's possible to acquire characters from any part of the manga/anime that happened before the timeskip (including stuff like Strong World Luffy and Fat Usopp).

Q: Will I understand what's going on if I don't follow One Piece?
A: The game does a pretty decent job of telling OP's story through animated manga panels that are shown before each level in the story mode. However, the unlockable character roster is chock-full of spoilers.

Beginner tips
- If you collect a named character (i.e. not a pirate/marine goon), use the 'Favourite' function to prevent them from being sold/used as a power-up.
- Over the course of the story mode, you'll unlock Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Nami, Sanji and Chopper. Don't get rid of any of them!
- Use turtles, skill books and nameless goons to power up your characters. Feed duplicates of named characters to themselves for an XP boost and chance at an improved Special attack.
- Build your teams around your Captain's ability - for example, Luffy gives a x2 multiplier to Strength-element units. Use him as the captain of an all-STR team for big damage!
- After unlocking Usopp, don't evolve him into Sogeking - check the Wiki and find out how to evolve him into Golden Hammer Usopp (known as God Usopp to TC fans) - one of the game's most powerful units.
- After unlocking Nami, don't evolve her into Thunderbolt Tempo Nami - choose Mirage Tempo Nami instead. Not quite GH Usopp, but still a useful unit.
- At first, use your Gems to unlock more space in your character box. Otherwise, save them for SUGOFEST, which is a once-a-month event where it becomes easier to roll (known as Rare Recruit in-game) for premium characters.

I want to keep re-rolling until I get good beginner characters - who's worth it?
- Balloon Luffy / Gear 3rd Luffy
- Shanks
- Arlong
- Stream Wolf Zoro / Lion's Song Zoro
- Alabasta Tempo Nami / Towel Nami
- Nico Robin
- Any of the 9 Supernovas (Killer, Law, Kidd, etc.)
- Any of the Whitebeard Commanders (Ace, Marco, Vista, Blamenco, etc.)
- Silvers Rayleigh (only available on SUGOFEST day)
- Whitebeard (only available on SUGOFEST day)

NOTE: You by no means have to keep re-rolling characters at the start until you get 'good' ones, the game is perfectly playable without :spergin:

Useful links:
Global Wiki - http://onepiecetreasurecruiseglobal.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Treasure_Cruise_Wiki
One Piece Treasure Cruise WIkia - http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/One_Piece_Treasure_Cruise
Treasure Cruise subreddit - http://reddit.com/r/onepiecetc

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 23, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Here's a pretty good FAQ/guide to Dokkan Battle from Reddit:

http://xg.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/3dkuih/dbz_dokkan_battle_ios_android_guide/

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Thanks for your input, Something Awful Forums User The Devil Tesla

OP, can we have that added to the OP?

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Gatcha!

e: apologies, wrong thread

.jpg fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 23, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

They're fun time-wasters when you're on the bus/toilet/dentist waiting room :shobon:

OPTC is honestly more fun than most licensed console One Piece games too

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Got a SR 1st form Frieza and SR 1st form Cell last night basically one after the other. Cell has links with like 4 of the characters I've been using (including my SSR SSJ Goku) so he's a must-use once I get him leveled up some. Frieza is replacing the R Nappa I've been using which is a nice upgrade.

Is the cyborg Tao from the event any good? The drop rate on Vegeta was so awful I didn't even get one before it ended so I'm not sure if I want to waste my time or not.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Kelp Plankton posted:

Got a SR 1st form Frieza and SR 1st form Cell last night basically one after the other. Cell has links with like 4 of the characters I've been using (including my SSR SSJ Goku) so he's a must-use once I get him leveled up some. Frieza is replacing the R Nappa I've been using which is a nice upgrade.

Is the cyborg Tao from the event any good? The drop rate on Vegeta was so awful I didn't even get one before it ended so I'm not sure if I want to waste my time or not.

Does the drop rate depend on which level you do it at? The hardest configuration just demolished me (a bunch of level 60s).

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
My Dokkan Battle Friend ID: 664601242

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Webbeh posted:

Does the drop rate depend on which level you do it at? The hardest configuration just demolished me (a bunch of level 60s).

Yeah, higher difficulties give better drop rates for these type of events.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I've been trying it on Hard and it's a cakewalk. Very Hard obliterates me. It's a decent grind though, doesn't take too long, great drops, decent cash.

I beat the story on Normal, going back through on Hard. I'm at the Ginyu level and it's a bit rough but I'm forcing my way through.

I desperately need an Int character who isn't garbage. I'd love a Piccolo or one of those new Gohans...

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

New Leaf posted:

I've been trying it on Hard and it's a cakewalk. Very Hard obliterates me. It's a decent grind though, doesn't take too long, great drops, decent cash.

This was my exact experience too. Hard? Fine. Very hard? I went through 5 dragon stones.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Finally pulled a SR Int character! ...unfortunately, it's loving Zarbon, but beggars can't be choosers.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think the Z-Hard difficulty is intended to be tackled by a full team of Z-Awakened SR characters or better. It's just absurdly difficult.

Finished the story mode on Normal, going through it again on Hard now for more dragon stones. I figure by the time I finish that I'll be good to go on Z-Hard now that my whole team is SR except for my Int guy, who I need to replace at some point but he's good for now.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

I think the Z-Hard difficulty is intended to be tackled by a full team of Z-Awakened SR characters or better. It's just absurdly difficult.

Finished the story mode on Normal, going through it again on Hard now for more dragon stones. I figure by the time I finish that I'll be good to go on Z-Hard now that my whole team is SR except for my Int guy, who I need to replace at some point but he's good for now.

I'm doing the same. Slow going but I really dig this game. Wish I could just pay real moneys and turn off the stamina system.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Dokkan really needs a colorblind mode. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to notice the differences in orbs and to figure out which attribute corresponds to what color, and I still get tripped up occasionally.

And after my first twenty stones netted me three Tiens and a Raditz I've become too scared to spend stones anymore so they're just piling up. Dokkan is still a lot more fun than PAD so far though.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I'm having fun but it really feels like the SR draw rate is really low (let's not even mentioned SSR). I basically never get to see Super Saiyan Goku.

Can anyone explain how the ki balls drop btw? I wish I could manipulate future chains better.

Also, is there a way to tell if a boss is about to use a super attack?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Esroc posted:

Dokkan really needs a colorblind mode. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to notice the differences in orbs and to figure out which attribute corresponds to what color, and I still get tripped up occasionally.

And after my first twenty stones netted me three Tiens and a Raditz I've become too scared to spend stones anymore so they're just piling up. Dokkan is still a lot more fun than PAD so far though.

I've gotten two things twice- a R Krillin, and a SSR Vegeta.. You've probably used up all your bad luck, give it another go :)

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Esroc posted:

Yeah, I still frequently have trouble differentiating some orbs from one another or occasionally giving someone the wrong color.

We just need symbols for each color inside the orbs and next to the character portraits. Something small would be good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So is this thread gonna link up to the other gatcha game threads in Games? Admittedly there's a bunch of them.

Also I'm still hoping on Bamco to localize one of their Gundam gatcha games.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ChronoReverse posted:

Can anyone explain how the ki balls drop btw? I wish I could manipulate future chains better.

As far as I can tell they always drop in the way least beneficial to you.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Finally drew a decent orange guy, a rare Android 17, out of the Friendship draw. Got him to 40, can't wait until tomorrow when I can get the Awakening tokens I need for him. Glad I finally have all five colors handy.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I've gotten two things twice- a R Krillin, and a SSR Vegeta.. You've probably used up all your bad luck, give it another go :)

Five more stones, got R Android #19 :smugjones:

Dokkan has the most malicious RNG of any game of it's type I've ever played.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I've gotten everyone on my team, except the event Goku, out of friendship draws. I don't think I've gotten anyone useful out of stone draws.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Allarion posted:

So is this thread gonna link up to the other gatcha game threads in Games? Admittedly there's a bunch of them.

Doubtful. This thread's mainly to keep Dokkan poo poo out of the DBZ thread.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
After getting 18, 19, and Videl out of my first draws, I decided to make a team of half androids and half wives. After that I got Burter and Jeice (really lucky since they both link up doubly) and then... another 19 (you can only have 1 of each character in your party) and the exact same Jeice.

I wish we could trade with our friends, I'd gladly trade for someone's duplicate Dr. Gero.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You should be feeding duplicates to the same ones you have to power up their super moves FYI

But yeah trading would be cool.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

After getting 18, 19, and Videl out of my first draws, I decided to make a team of half androids and half wives. After that I got Burter and Jeice (really lucky since they both link up doubly) and then... another 19 (you can only have 1 of each character in your party) and the exact same Jeice.

I wish we could trade with our friends, I'd gladly trade for someone's duplicate Dr. Gero.

Combining two of the same character makes their super move level up, so you actually got kinda lucky :)

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i have been playing treasure cruise since around the time it launched and i think its okay

i thought about startin the dbz one too but my phones internal storage is tiny and it wont fit

well,thanks for reading my poste

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I just started Dokkan Battle and got an SSR Vegeta off the bat with my initial set of Dragon Stones. Here's to hoping I can enjoy this game. Anyway, here is my friend ID: 2665602435.

If anyone's curious, you can play this on an emulator (droid4x) and it works fine.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

New Leaf posted:

Combining two of the same character makes their super move level up, so you actually got kinda lucky :)

Only if they're identical.

If you got 'Fatty Combatty' Android 19 and 'Harmless and Armless' Android 19, combining them would not level his super. If they're both the exact same variant, it will.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yeah I got two types of 19 and two of the same Jeice. Thanks for the tip though, I fused my Jeices and got another Chinese Prince Gohan to do the same with him.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Playing Dokkan, its great. When is the next sugofest thing? I'll probably start OPTC that day to try to get a fancy god character for my free roll.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

BurningDance posted:

I just started Dokkan Battle and got an SSR Vegeta off the bat with my initial set of Dragon Stones. Here's to hoping I can enjoy this game. Anyway, here is my friend ID: 2665602435.

If anyone's curious, you can play this on an emulator (droid4x) and it works fine.

You lucky bastard. So many people rerolled so many times to try to get him.

(I got him randomly early on too :) )

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
great now i have to add these games i didn't even know existed to my rotation of school idol project, terra battle, and final fantasy record keeper.

but seriously these look fun.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dragon Blaze is pretty good if you're into this garbage.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamevil.dragonblaze1.android.google.global.normal&hl=en

Add me if you start playing.

KimbapQQ

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Anyone know if there will be a padx-like wiki site for Dokkan?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Esroc posted:

Anyone know if there will be a padx-like wiki site for Dokkan?

i don't know what the puzzle and dragons wiki is like, but the dokkan reddit is trying to get some sort of wiki thing going i believe https://www.reddit.com/r/DBZDokkanBattle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Someone should tell the devs that in-app purchases only work if you give the player incentive. Because after about 50 stones the best I've gotten is an SR Chiaotzu, and if that's the kind of drop rate they want to offer I'm not at all compelled to spend real money on their game.