Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

BloodBag posted:

Also, GEMorris... if you are thinking you'll ever get that car quiet, You're going to have a bad time. Top up in a ragtop seems defeaningly loud, the prht is probably better. I'll echo changing to the stock mounts and go from there.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to get it quiet, I just want to reduce the excessive vibrations from 2-3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GEMorris posted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting to get it quiet, I just want to reduce the excessive vibrations from 2-3k

I wonder if yours has the gear rollover noise from 1000 to 2000 like mine does. It sounds completely agricultural and different from lugging the engine. I mean my car sounds like a little diesel if I shift in such a way that it's trying to put power down between 1000 and 2000 RPM.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm waiting on a guy to move a soft top and frame from one NA to another before I can buy his HT. He seems to be having trouble - how hard of a job is it? Anyone have a walk through?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every time HTs come up I get super bummed that this one never made it to market

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Anyone care to share their preferred online parts retailers?

I'm looking mostly for a good source of OEM parts (dealer catalogue stuff), as well as a good place for things like bulk filters, brake pads, etc.

I know Good-Win is a good place for performance stuff, but thanks to the previous owner I don't think I'm going to need too much from them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GEMorris posted:

Anyone care to share their preferred online parts retailers?

I'm looking mostly for a good source of OEM parts (dealer catalogue stuff), as well as a good place for things like bulk filters, brake pads, etc.

I know Good-Win is a good place for performance stuff, but thanks to the previous owner I don't think I'm going to need too much from them.

Do two autocrosses and sign up for Mazdaspeed. Rosenthal is more expensive, but shipping is fast since they're up in Arlington.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Every time HTs come up I get super bummed that this one never made it to market

Yeah that's hot.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

Do two autocrosses and sign up for Mazdaspeed. Rosenthal is more expensive, but shipping is fast since they're up in Arlington.

Thanks for the info.

Semi-Related:

I DD my NC, but generally shift around 5k-ish and for the most part drive the car "spiritedly". Should I be following maintenance schedule 2 from the manual?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My cruise control doesn't work. The previous owner claims it worked on his vacation. He replaced the battery after he got back from said vacation. Could these things be related? I have no clue how to diagnose cruise control issues. The control switch on the inside doesn't even light up (is an aftermarket cruise I think).

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

upgraded :D

Sitting in grid this weekend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I still love your wheels.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Never heard of STD coils and am not about to google "miata STD" and hope to get anything except :nms: results.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
What seats are you guys using with your rollbars? Looking for a combination that won't require tons of modification to fit in but also will reduce the chance of cracking my head on the bar in an accident.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

GEMorris posted:

So, I made the happy discovery that my loaded and modded PHRT NC2 also came with a smart top module that was not documented by the dealer. Raising and lowering the roof while cruising at 15mph is the raddest.

Holy poo poo, that's a thing? How easy is that to install and set up?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

What seats are you guys using with your rollbars? Looking for a combination that won't require tons of modification to fit in but also will reduce the chance of cracking my head on the bar in an accident.

Sparco Sprint V, and a PCI version 2 seat mount. (http://kazespecengineering.com/shop/procar-innovations-race-spec-seat-mount-version-2/)

I'm 6', and pass a broomstick test with a helmet on.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

lookslikerain posted:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1060.html

Its plug and play, I dunno how much effort it takes to get to the plug location tho.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
We had one of our pre-orders come in today at the mazda store. Car looks pretty good in person

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

TrueChaos posted:

Sparco Sprint V, and a PCI version 2 seat mount. (http://kazespecengineering.com/shop/procar-innovations-race-spec-seat-mount-version-2/)

I'm 6', and pass a broomstick test with a helmet on.

Seconding this. I got a universal seat mount and just made some brackets from 90* bent steel i got from a blockbuster video sign. I'm pushing my luck with a helmet on as far as the broomstick test, but i mainly wanted to make the car safer for helmetless street driving. If i could do it again i'd get this mount to get some more recline (mine is bolt-straight upright), but perhaps this would expose you to the brain hammer. Truechaos do you have a photo that shows how much space is between the headrest and roof?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

GEMorris posted:

I DD my NC, but generally shift around 5k-ish and for the most part drive the car "spiritedly". Should I be following maintenance schedule 2 from the manual?

Pretty sure that's the expected driving style. Unless you're racing it (or in any of the conditions listed in the manual), you'll probably be fine with schedule 1.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

lookslikerain posted:

Judging by the posts on m.net, it would seem that poo poo breaks all the time and the top gets stuck halfway.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Seconding this. I got a universal seat mount and just made some brackets from 90* bent steel i got from a blockbuster video sign. I'm pushing my luck with a helmet on as far as the broomstick test, but i mainly wanted to make the car safer for helmetless street driving. If i could do it again i'd get this mount to get some more recline (mine is bolt-straight upright), but perhaps this would expose you to the brain hammer. Truechaos do you have a photo that shows how much space is between the headrest and roof?

Here's two pics - shows how the headrest extends high enough to protect your head from the rollbar.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A 99 NB just landed in the largest pnp in the city. Miata's never land in junkyards around here so it's kind of a thing. It was posted to two FB groups I'm in just as the JY was closing and the groups quickly descended into chaos over people calling dibs on parts and then calling each other faggots and making vague threats until the entire post was deleted.

I'm going out there at 10am tomorrow just to watch the chaos.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

TrueChaos posted:

Here's two pics - shows how the headrest extends high enough to protect your head from the rollbar.

You are vastly underestimating how much that seat is going to move in a collision.

Rhyno posted:

A 99 NB just landed in the largest pnp in the city. Miata's never land in junkyards around here so it's kind of a thing. It was posted to two FB groups I'm in just as the JY was closing and the groups quickly descended into chaos over people calling dibs on parts and then calling each other faggots and making vague threats until the entire post was deleted.

I'm going out there at 10am tomorrow just to watch the chaos.

Get me the intake manifold. :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FatCow posted:

You are vastly underestimating how much that seat is going to move in a collision.

Have any pictures for an example? Honestly curious, I don't doubt it. How could I make it safer? It has to be better than the stock seat, which with my height would just snap my neck.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I just grabbed the first two I found.

Here is an OEM style seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orl8J5gyAt0

and a racing seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djsrCUnTINE

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

FatCow posted:

I just grabbed the first two I found.

Here is an OEM style seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orl8J5gyAt0

and a racing seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djsrCUnTINE

This is exactly how a roll bar or cage will kill you without a helmet and padding.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Someone should hop on this killer deal: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=583575

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phone posted:

Someone should hop on this killer deal: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=583575

If I had the cash (and was nearby) I'd buy it and turn it into a spec racer or stance it simply to gently caress that guy off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Low serial number or not is still a 1990 with a "minty " interior (read: not mint) and needs a paint job and a lot of miles. $8500 for a less than showroom quality NA is crazy.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

But you guys, he's owned Miatas for way longer than most people, that makes him totes more important than all of us. We should feel honored that he is offering us this great deal on a clearly better car. :downs:

Really, I'm surprised that site doesn't have a minimum years of ownership check for the way all the crazy old guys act.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I bet my 90 is in as good of shape and has way less miles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, a mod deleted a comment I made in the ND maintenance subforum on OCIs because someone waltzed in giving break in advice from the 1960s for a car that's being built in 2015. Apparently asking for people's petrochemical credentials isn't allowed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FatCow posted:

Get me the intake manifold. :v:

I showed up after all the drama but I guess a tool kit was swung into someone's face and another dude tried to push the neighboring car over onto another guy. They were all ejected from the yard and continued to fight, going so far as to smash each other's windshields. I rolled up about ten minutes after it all cooled down. I talked to the guy I know who works there, they're so pissed they're gonna roll the car into the closed lot, strip everything good that's left and crush it.

Fuckin Miatas.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I showed up after all the drama but I guess a tool kit was swung into someone's face and another dude tried to push the neighboring car over onto another guy. They were all ejected from the yard and continued to fight, going so far as to smash each other's windshields. I rolled up about ten minutes after it all cooled down. I talked to the guy I know who works there, they're so pissed they're gonna roll the car into the closed lot, strip everything good that's left and crush it.

Fuckin Miatas.

:lol::lol:
What the gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Oh yeah, a mod deleted a comment I made in the ND maintenance subforum on OCIs because someone waltzed in giving break in advice from the 1960s for a car that's being built in 2015. Apparently asking for people's petrochemical credentials isn't allowed.

Well you have a track record and all so.....

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Fuckin Miatas.

What is wrong with your loving state?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Well you have a track record and all so.....

you're drat fuckin' right

I remembered that I had my helmet in the car from this weekend's autox

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is wrong with your loving state?

The allure of cheap as gently caress parts brings out the best of us!

Seriously, this place has the best rates so people got loving ravenous over it. A nearly clean tan interior for $100, seats included? Any body panel for $30? I can understand going nutty and trying to grab the parts first but violence is pretty crazy.

But for the record, it's not the only time someone tried to knock a car over. At Pull-A-Part in Indianapolis a guy did push a car over onto another guy who had beat him to car he wanted parts from on Half-Off day. I guess that's the go-to reaction for junk yarders in Indiana.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Rhyno, we've come to a conclusion.

It's not your friends that are terrible. It's the entire region you live in. We have no choice but to launch MIRVs at the place - we're giving you and your family alone advance warning so you can have 8 hours to evacuate; then Indiana will become not the state it wants to be, but the parking lot it deserves to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Rhyno, we've come to a conclusion.

It's not your friends that are terrible. It's the entire region you live in. We have no choice but to launch MIRVs at the place - we're giving you and your family alone advance warning so you can have 8 hours to evacuate; then Indiana will become not the state it wants to be, but the parking lot it deserves to be.

You'll kill at least 4 other goons.