Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Boston sports radio has been absolutely amazing and hilarious though between the red sox being terrible and deflategate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Meinberg posted:

As You Like It

One of his comedies? GODDAMNIT MEINBERG!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Someone told me about the Lava short from Inside Out and I found it on youtube and now I can't stop humming it. It feels like a camp song since it tells a simple story and is very easy to sing.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Puntification posted:

One of his comedies? GODDAMNIT MEINBERG!

Shakespeare's comedies are vastly superior to his tragedies.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EXAKT Science posted:

Shakespeare's comedies are vastly superior to his tragedies.

My favorite Shakespearean comedy is Macbeth.

A moving forest! What a fine jape!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My theater company is starting up work again this fall, in a space that just opened this spring. I'm always tempted to just go and drop Macbeth into as many conversations as possible because I am galled and annoyed by superstition.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

There is a play involving witches that is known to be cursed.

This play is The Crucible.

There has never been a good production.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I shared a smoke with pat stickles~

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I took that personality test but it came back negative :geno:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JakeP posted:

Boston sports radio has been absolutely amazing and hilarious though between the red sox being terrible and deflategate

Wait, Boston sports radio? Are you telling me the whole country isn't holding its breath waiting Goddell to admit he was wrong about Brady?

Also lol Hanley is lazy and Pablo is fat.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I like that ballghazi happened because Boston sports are poopy.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

All Boston teams should have their uniforms just be covered in dancing anime poopies IMO.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Murmur Twin posted:

Are you telling me the whole country isn't holding its breath waiting Goddell to be strung up by a lynch mob, and burned alive

fixed to be more accurate for Bostonians

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
also something something something something Rick Porcello

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JakeP posted:

also something something something something Rick Porcello

WEEI is like cigarettes: I die a little when I listen to it, but can't stop

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
My game This is Complete Bullshit just needs 4 more players to get going. If it doesn't fill up by Monday, I'm starting it with whoever I've got, so this is your last chance to play a game that welcomes you posting the word "Bullshit" in every post. I promise it won't get old.

Also, I got INFP-T, so that's a thing.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
what is the -letter at the end, i got one too but have never seen it before.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

uranus posted:

what is the -letter at the end, i got one too but have never seen it before.

Either Assertive or Turbulent, it's a general emotional state kind of thing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have a dissertation committee! I had asked over half a dozen people and they had all said they were too busy, but I finally found someone! I can actually do stuff related to my thesis now!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Should have asked me, I'd do it

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Working on your Masters Degree really sucks even when it's internet based and primarily a frustration mid and end of week, especially when it involves applying current education theory in ways that aren't super relevant to your highly specialized Choral Music and AP Music Theory classrooms.

BOOO HOMEWORK.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also I got ENFP-A. I've been an ENFP since I first took one of these tests at 17, no surprises there!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also this is clearly all a procrastination break xD

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The xD many times on my phone will autocorrect to "Dad" and it makes things especially awkward when I'm talking to my friends and I'm all "but sometimes you just gotta do some butt play dad"

Especially since my father has passed on.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Quidnose posted:

Working on your Masters Degree really sucks even when it's internet based and primarily a frustration mid and end of week, especially when it involves applying current education theory in ways that aren't super relevant to your highly specialized Choral Music and AP Music Theory classrooms.

BOOO HOMEWORK.

Ooh tell me more! This sounds really interesting to me!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Ooh tell me more! This sounds really interesting to me!

I'm getting my Masters of Education in Best Practices (BUZZ WORDS WOO) and the class I am taking right now is focused on Interdisciplinary Vocabulary Development, 20th Century Education, and something else we haven't started reading that book for yet (as an aside I am a FANTASTIC student). The Interdisciplinary Vocab stuff was basically "the old way was the elementary or language arts teacher taught vocab and everyone else taught their own poo poo but studies are showing that students with better vocabularies perform better in school and since we use words like 'table' in so many different contexts depending on the discipline it's every subject teacher's responsibility to bring context to vocabulary and have students develop their vocabulary while comparing and contrasting and examining different things" etc. Talking about cross curriculuar Tier 2 words and subject specific Tier 3 words (Tier 1 words are like basic words like adjectives and crap). It was interesting and as music educators we have so much subject specific words that go hand in hand with our Tier 2 words that it was fairly easy to create stuff.

Last week we were looking at "Infolinking" and integrating 20th (21st? old books?) century technologies into our classrooms. The video I watched regarding this was interesting but made in 2008 and was talking about Digg and RSS feeds being great tools so it was a liiiitle outdated, but it did give me the idea of creating a classroom wiki for all the subjects we cover in class that students have the ability to edit and discuss the changes of pages on and the like and I am definitely going to swoop that for my AP music theory class next year as I'm ditching our terrible textbook in lieu of printed Prezi presentations and now this. I can't tell you at this point what Infolinking is without going and getting my textbook because, again, great student, and I am a lazy person.

So far this week we're looking at the linear thinking model for problem solving (here is how 1 connects to 2 which then connects to 3 which then connects to 4, etc.) vs. the "necessary for the 20th century" non-linear model (brainstorming how 1 connects to 3 and 5 connects backwards to 4 or whatever) and my assignment right now is to design a research project that ties in to Common Core standards (which haven't been written for music yet, if ever. we are considered a technical skill so I have to use that) and involves this circular model of Brainstorming questions regarding a topic, integrating facts from texts (aaaa music), planning a hypothesis (again, aaaa music), studying results and organizing data (ibid), and then asking new questions on the topic to circle back to the beginning.

Again, a super interesting model to explore that i think is incredibly valuable to integrate into traditional classes such as math and science and history and the like, but I would be sooooooo hosed if I didn't have this AP Music Theory class to apply this to because as important as it is for me personally as an educator to go into the historical details of the period from which we are singing this particular song I'm certainly not going to make my choirs do a big ole research activity with the internet and crap unless it's after our concert blocks and I really need a project for finals :v:

I hope you have enjoyed this highly specialized information for discussion by me and forums user AnonymousNarcotics, Mafia thread.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yeah that's certainly valuable for general music and music theory classes, but not so much for chorus. As for modern day useful technology, do you use Edmodo? My dad is a middle school chorus teacher and uses it to upload mp3s and sheet music for the kids to access at home and for other stuff I can ask if you're interested.

You know you can integrate Common Core into everything, right? The CC standards for English are pretty universal. I'm Elementary so maybe it's different at the high school level, but a lot of it is just ability to use English correctly, which can be integrated into a research project easily.

Does the assignment have to be project based learning? Or more like a research project?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I've seen Edmodo before but I'm actually going to be playing around with the CHARMS system which not only has part uploads and things like Noteflight integration but also is an account management system so I can have an easy place for parents to see fundraising and trip funding information and the like. We use SchoolLoop for our grading system currently.

Our fuill staff PD sessions last year waere completely based on Common Core english standards but that was really my first exposure to it. I ended up doing a student run Inquiry Center project for our final after the test project in AP Music Theory that was super successful thanks to stuff from there, but it's all still pretty new to me, and I'm still finding ways just to integrate reading into the class beyond what essentially boil down to technical manuals (beyond, like, analyzing grammar in lyrics, I guess?)

The assignment is literally "create a research project based on the Common Core standards using this model." I'm having my Theory students review their rules about Common Practice part writing, talk about why they exist in terms of "what they thought sounded good," then work backwards from a completed "correct" harmonic progression to try different choices and analyze the errors, then discuss whether or not the errors sound better musically even if they are "wrong."

We'll see?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I don't even really know if what I am typing is English to non music people so I apologize!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

I don't even really know if what I am typing is English to non music people so I apologize!

No apologies necessary as I didn't read it

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I am not offended in the least that you ignored my text walls :v:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

I am not offended in the least that you ignored my text walls :v:

You know me very well! :)

Hope you've been well since your absence from this thread.

Are you still doing The Thunderdome? When I read that thread I always enjoyed your entries.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Magnus Gallant posted:

You know me very well! :)

Hope you've been well since your absence from this thread.

Are you still doing The Thunderdome? When I read that thread I always enjoyed your entries.

Not at the moment! I got too busy at the end of the school year to write and I feel great shame when I have thunderdome failures, and what usually happens is the week I am excited enough to return to the 'dome I am able to produce something, which makes me excited for the following week, and then I get lazy or busy and produce nothing, at which point I vanish for a while.

I'm working on putting together a cyberpunk FATE Accelerated campaign to introduce my friends and my girlfriend to the system because we're trying to tabletop roleplay more, and writing up flavor stuff is itching my writing bone, so I might come back in August!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

Not at the moment! I got too busy at the end of the school year to write and I feel great shame when I have thunderdome failures, and what usually happens is the week I am excited enough to return to the 'dome I am able to produce something, which makes me excited for the following week, and then I get lazy or busy and produce nothing, at which point I vanish for a while.

I'm working on putting together a cyberpunk FATE Accelerated campaign to introduce my friends and my girlfriend to the system because we're trying to tabletop roleplay more, and writing up flavor stuff is itching my writing bone, so I might come back in August!

Awesome! I was thinking that I might get back to it to, especially since I am planning on freeing up a lot of free time from my schedule in the near future. I probably cant do any worse than I did last year, when I lost like twice out of 4 tries haha.

I have never played any tabletop RPGs but I've always been interested. I just can't find the motivation to go out and meet people who play and make friends with them haha.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seeing stuff like this always depresses me because it basically means I failed at becoming educated and my teachers failed at providing education. I get similar vibes when my girlfriend talks about the poo poo she had to do to complete her degree (and the stuff she's doing now for the technical certs on top of it) because, well...

...let me put it like this. I got to college not knowing I didn't know how to write a research paper. I just thought you rambled on the same old bullshit but cited when there was something you got from a book. It wasn't until a decade later, when I was explaining how hosed my poo poo always was, that someone explained that I was basically doing the whole thing backwards, didn't know how to come up with a proper thesis, etc. I got through three (or so) years of college with lovely grades and literally no idea what I was doing.

Basically, I'm just smart enough to know I'm a loving idiot.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 24, 2015

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Magnus Gallant posted:

Awesome! I was thinking that I might get back to it to, especially since I am planning on freeing up a lot of free time from my schedule in the near future. I probably cant do any worse than I did last year, when I lost like twice out of 4 tries haha.

I have never played any tabletop RPGs but I've always been interested. I just can't find the motivation to go out and meet people who play and make friends with them haha.

Yeah, don't feel bad about losing at all, the whole point is to write and get better. If you wrote something and submitted it, you are already a winner~ I think Thunderdome is one of the coolest places on SA and another awesome community like this one.

I'd honestly try to do some Play by Post or bug some of the mafia peeps here to run something over Skype rather than trying to meet new people to play since I always found it kinda awkward to be playing nerd games with random people I never met and had no personal connection to beyond our interest in nerd games but YMMV!

Allen Wren posted:

Seeing stuff like this always depresses me because it basically means I failed at becoming educated and my teachers failed at providing education. I get similar vibes when my girlfriend talks about the poo poo she had to do to complete her degree (and the stuff she's doing now for the technical certs on top of it) because, well...

...let me put it like this. I got to college not knowing I didn't know how to write a research paper. I just thought you rambled on the same old bullshit but cited when there was something you got from a book. It wasn't until a decade later, when I was explaining how hosed my poo poo always was, that someone explained that I was basically doing the whole thing backwards, didn't know how to come up with a proper thesis, etc. I got through three (or so) years of college with lovely grades and literally no idea what I was doing.

Basically, I'm just smart enough to know I'm a loving idiot.

I am biased as a liberal educator by No Child Left Behind royally skewed education heavily in the wrong direction and a lot of places are totally hosed still. Too many rewards for standardized testing that resulted in too much focus on teaching to the test and finding teachers who weren't necessarily good educators but good at hitting the right numbers. The first thing I was told in my AP Training for my AP Music Theory class was "the test results are not in any way meant to be an indicator of your ability as a teacher" and I know in a lot of places they are, along with every other test that exists.

It's great to want to try to create a unified equal playing field so that every student gets a sound education but we have been doing it wrong for many many many years now. It is very sad.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quidnose posted:

No Child Left Behind royally skewed education heavily in the wrong direction and a lot of places are totally hosed still.

I was out of high school a full year before NCLB was even a thing, so I don't even loving know.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My new job is super boring. It's wonderful

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Power went out at work. Internet is up but our network stuff is down so I still can't really do any work. This doesn't really change my work output :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hey jerk, join Kumba's game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732012

It's right there

Do it.