Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

uranus posted:

think im gunna make an invite only game and only take people i know will be active

Save it for next week please (and invite me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Pretty much this.

Also scum should kill lurkers and be cool people, IMO.

This is my scum tell.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

uranus posted:

i think there is a problem with mafia though really, it seems worse since i got back from my 'haitus'. people who actively play and try to make cases and post a lot... get killed. constantly. i notice it even when its not me. scum just chillax and dont post while all the active players die. then the thread dies and limps along with a few posts per day and maybe a few no lynches then the scum win.

or has it always been this way, and i'm just being an old mafia man remembering the 'good ol days' with beer colored glasses?

I apologize for contributing to this trend

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i want to do a 10 player game. if i use the f11 model and just add one vanilla townie would it be balanced?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Slightly balanced against scum, but not too bad. It just turns LYLO into MYLO.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Making it even numbered might give scum an advantage actually

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Byers2142 posted:

Here, it's a nice background song, a little dark but not angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM

i just listened to this whole thing without noticing. i always thought they were a death metal band or something

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Let's talk about how bottle knight's game has been open for a week and only has four sign ups. Let's support bottle knight and play his game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731340&perpage=40

Uranus, you should invite the aforementioned people to BKs game instead of making your own

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

uranus posted:

i just listened to this whole thing without noticing. i always thought they were a death metal band or something

Nope; all of their songs are great background music while doing something else.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Now recruiting for Toto Mafia: 1978 - The Beginning, a game for 10 players. Pm me if interested, and also if you're feelings wont be hurt if you end up not being selected. Limited positions, apply now!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

uranus posted:

technically GY!BE fits into 'desolation' post rock. *props nerd glasses up on nose*

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also i dont mean to be disparaging toward any of the players in the game i was just killed in. there isnt a lurker problem there, i just realizdd that i'm probably sounding like a real rear end in a top hat to all those people. i just felt that i was at the core of it 'killed for posting'. so sorry to everyone if i just sounded like a real jerk in my past few posts.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

so today i down-graded my phone from a 2013 smartphone to a 2011 half-as-smart-phone. i'm trying to be less phone dependent. my brother is already betting i'll be back to my old, newer phone in a month.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is complimenting someone by saying they look beautiful with a smile creepy?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

bowmore posted:

is complimenting someone by saying they look beautiful with a smile creepy?

one of the common cat-calls/sneers women hear on the street is 'smile more!' - a carryover from bad opinions on how women should always do their best to be attractive, and that even in walking down the street they should appeal to men

while your compliment might be sincere, it unfortunately fits into a very ugly social space nowadays. it's the equivalent of asking a black guy if they play basketball, basically.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

one of the common cat-calls/sneers women hear on the street is 'smile more!' - a carryover from bad opinions on how women should always do their best to be attractive, and that even in walking down the street they should appeal to men

while your compliment might be sincere, it unfortunately fits into a very ugly social space nowadays. it's the equivalent of asking a black guy if they play basketball, basically.
hmm yep didn't know that

idk man on the thread where you rate people's clothing they are wearing someone had two photos side by side and I said that they looked great with a smile and I got called a creeper for it by someone

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
smiles make everyone more attractive regardless

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ernie. posted:

I think he meant he says, "You look beautiful" while he smiles, not that he says, "You look beautiful with a smile." Either way, the context of the situation matters.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's like, usually accurate in that smiles are attractive but yeah it always gives off this uncomfortable hitting on somebody vibe

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

bowmore posted:

hmm yep didn't know that

idk man on the thread where you rate people's clothing they are wearing someone had two photos side by side and I said that they looked great with a smile and I got called a creeper for it by someone

Oh, yeah, I was wrong. Hmmm, maybe a little creepy then.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

bowmore posted:

hmm yep didn't know that

Yeah it is kind of creepy to say it to a stranger.

Honestly I think it is good to avoid statements about another person's body unless you are really confident it wouldn't be weird.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

Yeah it is kind of creepy to say it to a stranger.

Honestly I think it is good to avoid statements about another person's body unless you are really confident it wouldn't be weird.

Keane's body is the perfect marriage of the physiques of a corporate banker and a schoolyard bully.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ernie. posted:

Keane's body is the perfect marriage of the physiques of a corporate banker and a schoolyard bully.

Yeah this is pretty accurate, actually.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 27, 2020

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Wide Eyed smiles are not attractive.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't like, smiles are smiles, I didn't know it gave off a creep vibe

they are like extensions of your personality/emotions

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

bowmore posted:

I don't like, smiles are smiles, I didn't know it gave off a creep vibe

they are like extensions of your personality/emotions

Unfortunately, societal baggage ruins a lot of things that should be pure and innocent. You didn't mean it as creepy, but because of things beyond your control it feels creepy to others.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that's unfortunate

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I hit reply without having anything to say.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somber pm me

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Sexual/gender politics are in a very big state of flux atm, intentions are extremely important and honestly much more important than the compliment itself. if you can be misread you will be misread. It's one of those vacuums where guys are like "I was just trying to pay you a compliment" and it is never that simple. It goes from 0 to fedora so fast.

It's not a good system, but whatever.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I weep for anyone who has to interact with a 'nice guy' (which, as someone who was in high school fairly recently, DO EXIST. THEY EXIST A LOT.)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i find it less awkward to compliment the clothing than the person. 'wow that is a cool necklace' seems better than 'wow you look great in that necklace' etc

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why compliment strangers anyway.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it's pretty sad you can't say something nice about someone with innocent intentions without it being automatically seen as creepy

*sigh*

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I just found a CD I got in the early nineties (I think because I really liked the theme to Gettysburg and couldn't find the soundtrack) of The American Film Orchestra doing movie hits of the day. The American Film Orchestra is two dudes with MIDI keyboards.

Man, this poo poo is hilarious. I'm gonna have to upload it if it's not already online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-jxRlXAB0

oh my GOD

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 24, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
just imagine if it was you and someone said 'wow you look great in that shirt'. doesnt it feel a bit.. forward? dont you feel a bit, i dont know, uneasy? even if its an attractive person saying it? counter that with 'wow, i really like that shirt' and its a whole other thing.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
or i could be a socially malformed hermit who shouldn't be advising anyone about how to interact with another human