Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Was Geelong deserted in '89?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Was Geelong deserted in '89?

I reckon I was nominally an Essendon fan at that point. And three years old.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shmoses posted:

Weren't you not a Hawthorn fan in 91? Don't do this.

Hey, I wasn't going there. I remember seeing footage of Perth being deserted and I thought it was of 91. I wasn't even alive in 91.

fwiw, I tend not to talk about the Hawks because it's suuuuper hard to not come across as a bandwagoner.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
is it just me or did people forget the eagles played the hawks in the 91 grand final? i think that was the point.

i cant remember watching the 91 grand final but i remember watching the 92 grand final, but i was only 6 at the time so its pretty hazy

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Every grand final day I worked in a Tassie supermarket was busier than usual until about 2pm then it was dead for the rest of the day. And we don't even have a team, hope that helps.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snaeksikn posted:

is it just me or did people forget the eagles played the hawks in the 91 grand final? i think that was the point.

i cant remember watching the 91 grand final but i remember watching the 92 grand final, but i was only 6 at the time so its pretty hazy

I went to the 92 GF but I cannot recall the 91 GF. I only have veryyyy hazy memories of the footy before the age of about 8.

TG-Chrono posted:

That's like 9000 so whatever.

13000. Our baby club is learning to walk.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

You're reading too much into it.

I'm pretty sure Perth looks like a ghost town on that day in September if the Eagles are in it. I'd imagine it is when Freo's in it as well.

hiddenmovement posted:

13000. Our baby club is learning to walk.

If you think someone who supports the Hawks and has done so since 2013 is bad, Canberra when GWS is winning is going to be unimaginable.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I was at a Devonport roller rink during the 1991 grand final and was excited when the quarter time score was announced with West Coast in the lead.

It should be a notable grand final because it was the first featuring a non-Vic team and was held at Waverley, but I reckon it's forgotten because it's less notable than 1992, the year the cup actually left Victoria, or 1990, the year Collingwood finally buried the wobbles. To most people it was just, oh, Hawthorn again, and this time against a team nobody (that I knew) cared about.

West Coast had a top year in '91, though, finishing minor premiers three games clear.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
my earliest football memories are 1) the 94 finals series, I think we beat the dogs and carlton? 2) spending hours kicking the footy in the street, we had a built up fence on both sides of our driveway so I had a goal and everything 3) playing against loving caulfield bears and hampton rovers :argh:

e: oh and 4) probably the funnest game of footy I've ever played, playing against Ajax and it was pissing down with rain the whole time so the entire field was just a mudbath

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 24, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Keep in mind that the Super Rugby is finished, that tempers the achievement a bit.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I thought the 91 GF was most remembered for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7J2madZVFA

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Doctor Cave posted:

I thought the 91 GF was most remembered for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7J2madZVFA
I bet that car wasn't even a V12.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

That was very thoughtful of you. I picked few outside chances, I can see this ending badly.

Some of you guys tried to do worse than me last week but you've gotta pick it up, muyb I'm looking at you (welcome back)!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I'm not clicking that link because its Angry Anderson in a Batmobile and it should be forgotten

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gough Suppressant posted:

3) playing against loving caulfield bears and hampton rovers :argh:

Bears Rule. I loved playing for the bears, same club song as Carlton (with a few word changes) Ajax always seemed to be kids two years older than the division and St. Beads were annoying too.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

What was that team with the red and green jumpers that people keep talking about here? Basin Bears or something?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

drunkill posted:

Bears Rule. I loved playing for the bears, same club song as Carlton (with a few word changes) Ajax always seemed to be kids two years older than the division and St. Beads were annoying too.

gently caress you buddy, I was murrumbeena, we wore the brisbane v strip and I think had the fitzroy song?

e:wrong account but oh well

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 24, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hiddenmovement posted:

I actually kind of like Harvey for being a bit of a dick. I don't get all the vitirol towards him, it's not like he did something worthy of real hate ala Milne

Right! It's not like he bullied a small child, like genuine bad guy Adam Goodes!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My earliest memory relating to footy is Darren Millane dying after the 1990 season. I remember mum explaining that he was drunk and drove in to a truck

My first memory of actual footy is watching the 1991 grand final though, and specifically Angry Anderson in the bat mobile.

EDIT: Actually, turns out Millane died after the 91 season. So my first memory either way is the 91 GF.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My earliest memory is being at a match between, I think, Port and Collingwood, (dad's a Port man) and we had Collingwood fans nearby who thought the umpiring was bad, and then the woman made a complaint about the young child behind her who was kicking her, and the child's parents seemed unsympathetic to her plight, and then some police officers (one of them was aboriginal and that's the only thing I remember about them) came around and told everyone to Hakuna their Tatas.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I think I had a friend up my street who was a mad crazy Richmond fan - at 7, so yes they're born like that - and I was messing around at his place while the 1980 Grand Final was on.

So yes, I can barely remember Richmond winning a premiership. :corsair: I didn't really get into footy until a couple of years later, and I'd gone through brief Footscray and Geelong phases and bandwagoned onto Hawthorn during 1982.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
The first game I remember watching was this one, which was remarkable in that a grand total of 1.4 was kicked at one end for the day, and 12.21 at the other end. I was pissed off because I secretly wanted Hawthorn to win because my junior team was the Hawks. It was about 10 degrees and I wore a plastic poncho.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Perth wasn't deserted in '91-'92, it was just a shitload smaller than it is today. They'd only just finished building the (gently caress whatever it's called now) R&I/Bankwest tower and opened a year before, making it only one of two buildings prominent in the skyline. Now you've got all these mining buildings going up and they're ugly as gently caress (I'm looking at you BHP.)

I remember the WACA days and sitting on the grass banks. Good times. Back when Melbourne actually made the finals.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 24, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The first match I clearly remember watching was the 1989 grand final, and the first AFL game I remember going to was at Waverley to see Hawks v Demons where Dunstall had his skull fractured. I'll never forget that big V mono screen.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mine was the 1987 Grand Final

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

childhood football related memories - craig turley taught a couple of classes of my phys ed class when i was in primary school

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

You Am I posted:

Mine was the 1987 Grand Final

I watched footy before then but that is the first game I can clearly remember.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Stupidly hot day for late September. Rhys-Jones beating the crap out of Brereton. Hawthorn ran out of legs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hawthorn shouldnt have even been in the loving 1987 grand final :argh:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

My earliest memory is being at a match between, I think, Port and Collingwood, (dad's a Port man) and we had Collingwood fans nearby who thought the umpiring was bad, and then the woman made a complaint about the young child behind her who was kicking her, and the child's parents seemed unsympathetic to her plight, and then some police officers (one of them was aboriginal and that's the only thing I remember about them) came around and told everyone to Hakuna their Tatas.

This means that your earliest memory is from 1998 or later and thus I feel old

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

But then Melbourne would've been pounded in two successive grand finals.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dickwit? Is that you?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I think my first footy memory is of Mark Graham signing a thing for me when I was pretty young. This was around the time of the merger or a year before. First game I remember going to would be Chris Langford's 300th (I know I had been taken to a bunch of Hawks/Saints games but I can't remember them).

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tom Barass makes his debut against the Swans. Thank gently caress Tippett isn't playing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
:toxx: If the Saints beat the Dees in the last minute of the game this week I'll donate $200 to Beyond red and Blue.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

as much as the saints loss pissed me off last time, there was no way in hell we wouldve beaten the cats at kardinya without that rocket up the playing group's asses. would really like to beat the saints this go round tho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

if you drink then tip dees youre a bloody idiot

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I swear to god nobody who writes for afl.com.au uses spellcheck or revises for grammar... ever.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Hawthorn in with a sniff here tonight I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
I dunno. Carlton are Friday night experts.

• Locked thread