Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Man despite the OG characters being generic I actually really like that mech. It's style reminds me of an Eldran or Yuusha series, so I think it'll fit in with Raijin-oh and GaoGaiGar. And the graphics look a lot better from UX judging from the scans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Man despite the OG characters being generic I actually really like that mech. It's style reminds me of an Eldran or Yuusha series, so I think it'll fit in with Raijin-oh and GaoGaiGar. And the graphics look a lot better from UX judging from the scans.

If they had made the protagonist a little kid to fit into that archetype that would have been cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kinda weird how resistant to using older Super Robot aesthetics in OG stuff they are, Granteed is one of the only ones I can think of and he's more mid-80's in design than anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Mostly posting these because, yes, Akatsuki finally gets a combo attack with someone. Oh, and Kouji gets a second portrait, too.
holy poo poo, akatsuki might actually be usable? finally. I've always really liked him but SRW has basically given you no reason to use him whatsoever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's got to be a way to pandet without relying on the exact same protagonist mold they've had for... I think 5 games running.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

holy poo poo, akatsuki might actually be usable? finally. I've always really liked him but SRW has basically given you no reason to use him whatsoever.
I expected that Akatsuki would have a semi-useful Tatician Bonus (like, a boost to money earned or something like that). But now? Akito potentially has two combo attack options to call on, although Double Gekigan Flare is more than likely going to be the stronger option.

That said, the combo attack comes from...the Jovian Railgun episode. Which if you've played Advance, you know that mission is not fun at all because of bullshit insta-death.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I hope whenever OG finally finishes the Alpha 3 plotline, the next game will cut to a highschool with literally all of the recent Originals in it.

And then all of their plots happen at once.

Also the new OG mech actually looks pretty great! Congrats Banpresto, now don't screw it up with the upgrade please.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

I hope whenever OG finally finishes the Alpha 3 plotline, the next game will cut to a highschool with literally all of the recent Originals in it.

The Sphere Reactors all take up staff positions around the school just to mess with them, like Ryouma did in Z.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

This is why I think they should just drop Original units entirely from the licensed games, at this point they seem to cause more problems for the games they're part of then they solve
Eh, I don't really see how it hurts enough to warrant removing Originals entirely. Yeah, the current batch are bland, but actively pulling down the game when most players don't focus on them anyway... nah.

I suppose "Originals" are more useful to provide a "final boss super antagonist" according to some people because "putting e.g Anti-Spiral as the final boss" would show favoritism to one series over another or something like that... their argument, not mine because I would love to see them go back to the early hilarious days of things like "Gosterro from Layzner in the Devil Gundam is the final boss"

HitTheTargets posted:

You have to have a dude as the playable character for the reasons MarsDragon outlined, but why bother with the extra step of creating the girl?
To provide an extra Spirit Bank, obviously.

AradoBalanga posted:

That said, the combo attack comes from...the Jovian Railgun episode. Which if you've played Advance, you know that mission is not fun at all because of bullshit insta-death.
Is that the one I'm thinking of? Don't you only get shot down if you fly?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wasn't anti-spiral the final boss of Z3.1?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Akatsuki gets a move that presumably can actually deal good damage and you might have to have him and Akito in the loving Artillery Frames to use it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Davzz posted:

To provide an extra Spirit Bank, obviously.

The robot could have one!

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

The robot could have one!
Nothing wrong with having another

(OE did Guy/Girl/Alien thingy as Spirits so I am in fact guessing that BX is going to do Guy/Girl/Robot)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Also the new OG mech actually looks pretty great! Congrats Banpresto, now don't screw it up with the upgrade please.

All the girls have a club. They sit in a circle and announce their gimmick. Amnesiac. Robot. Amnesiac Robot. And Suzune's the teacher.

The boys have a club. "... ... ..."

I like the OG Knight bot, I look forward to the upgrade having huge shoulder pads and the big blades that go on the shin come loose and become big toe knives because we haven't had those since the last every single OG mech.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

AradoBalanga posted:

On the flip side, the jovian railgun episode was possibly one of my favorite stages in ACE 2. It was nice to have a level that favored low altitude units for a change.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

EthanSteele posted:

All the girls have a club. They sit in a circle and announce their gimmick. Amnesiac. Robot. Amnesiac Robot. And Suzune's the teacher.

The boys have a club. "... ... ..."

I like the OG Knight bot, I look forward to the upgrade having huge shoulder pads and the big blades that go on the shin come loose and become big toe knives because we haven't had those since the last every single OG mech.

It will suffer from being in the same game as the clearly superior Knight Gundam.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I want to see SD Knight Huckebein.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Davzz posted:

Is that the one I'm thinking of? Don't you only get shot down if you fly?
Yep. Regardless of unit HP, if you decided to take to the air for that stage (or at least until the rival character shows up, I forget when it stops), instant death for that unit. Lost a couple of units that way, mostly through me accidentally selecting "Fly" instead of "Spirit Commands" due to the options being right next to each other.

On the flipside, that stage is where my bromance with the Dragonar trio was finally cemented. Kaine and especially Tapp carried the day during my playthrough of Advance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fu6Ot9IJKI

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WHAT. :swoon:

Oh right, I suck at Metal Gear games. :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

WHAT. :swoon:

Oh right, I suck at Metal Gear games. :smith:

It's okay, no one will judge you if you play on easy and have fun that way.

OKay, assholes will, but their opinions don't matter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In less exciting news, check out this smartphone game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kURXzRVfvRc

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
On the one hand, the game looks kind of phoned in, no pun intended.

On the other hand... It's got Grendizer.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
And ZZ.

Too bad I don't own a smartphone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The ZZ and Unicorn Gundam game we all wanted, at last.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Son Ryo posted:

Too bad I don't own a smartphone.

There are several emulators that let you run Android on your PC. Three off the top of my head are Bluestacks, Andy, and Genymotion, though I don't have any personal experience with any of these. I just got the names from the Android gaming megathread.

If you set up a Japanese Google account to link to one, you could probably obtain the game and perform legitimate transactions in it as you would on a regular phone.

I'm debating whether or not I want to go to that much trouble. I probably won't bother.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

BX is like only a month away. Wheres PV2 and OG reveal and whatever else they usually do as their last bit of PR before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1jKRNv0II8

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait... Zegapain? Can't say I ever expected that in any SRW game, even a throw away title like this.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Wait so... the hero bot in this one is actually sentient? Why do I feel like this concept is gonna be underused?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay that actually looks kinda interesting, also never thought we'd get debuts in a Cell Phone game of all things, hope this means that Zegapain and Star Driver will show up in a Mainstream SRW game eventually

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope if you don't do the Dunbine route splits all of the characters die. I want it to do what UX does and make pretty much all the rival characters secrets.

Also did not expect that King J-Der Hammer.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
If anyone is curious about where Silverion Hammer comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsowrRGz8e8

Zegapain surprised me as well. I really enjoyed the series but the setting makes me wonder how they'll integrate the storyline. Though I suppose we've had weirder things already.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Kind of surprised they actually debuted 2 series here, so maybe it won't be completely effortless, maybe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zegapain and Star Driver will probably show up in a mainline game somewhere, if they went to the effort of grabbing the rights and making some assets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, I know why Zegapain is in that.

quote:

A new project for the upcoming 10th anniversary of the anime has been announced

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess they really needed to dig to give King J-Der a finisher with no J-Phoenix in sight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahaha, poor Zegapain. It's debut is in that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My guess is the license fees for this game were next to nothing since the game appears to use the licences for next to nothing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh hey, original SEED is finally back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Ahaha, poor Zegapain. It's debut is in that.

I dunno man, it looks better than BX.

• Locked thread