Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Soon im moving to a farm where even the landline is patchy. The one satellite providers best plan is like 1gb data for $110 a month and performs about as good as 56kb most of the time.

I've seen setups using a 'yagi' directional antenna that can pick up a signal and send it back down to the farm but im not sure how to even go about it. Do i get a sim card for every provider and wander round the hills till I get a signal?

This is a description of what I want to do http://www.milkwood.net/2011/07/08/diy-remote-area-internet/ . But I know so little about cellular signals that its hard to get started on a plan. Is there a kind of buisness that could come and work these things out? Are there any tools I can use to find where will get what signal from which provider? Currently my folks are so frustrated with their current internet and phone that they'd be willing to pay alot of get it improved, and at the moment small buisnesses can make purchases up to $20000 and have them tax deductible so money isnt much of an issue.

Im having a hard time getting started as any google search i can come up with mostly just are articles about how bad the service is and how sometime in the future it will be better. Is there a site that could teach me some basic concepts about doing this?

SE Australia btw

Isaac fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

You sure there aren't any WISP providers in the area?

http://opensignal.com/coverage-maps/Australia/

That should show you the location of the cell towers in your area. It looked like they simply got a wireless modem for their cell provider (I assume they're talking about something like Telstra when they talk about mobile signal) and hooked it up to an external antenna and router. I don't know if this is a good company or not but they deal with exactly what you want to do http://onwireless.com.au/faq.html so they might be a good start. The hardest part is going to be dealing with power if the modem site doesn't have it. Otherwise if you have a tower you can use, it should be simple to setup. How reliable it is could be your biggest unknown and you won't find that out until you've spent all the money.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Open signal has a small patch of medium signal in the nearby town maybe 10-20km away through bushland. There are no towers for maybe 50km. Apparently there are some spots on the farm where you can pick up signal. So would I buy one of these directional antenna and stand on the hill rotating it around till i pick up a signal then work on beaming it down to the farm?

Both phone and wifi would be tremendously helpfull either if its one or the other.

Edit: Thanks for your links as well

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Isaac posted:

Open signal has a small patch of medium signal in the nearby town maybe 10-20km away through bushland. There are no towers for maybe 50km. Apparently there are some spots on the farm where you can pick up signal. So would I buy one of these directional antenna and stand on the hill rotating it around till i pick up a signal then work on beaming it down to the farm?

Both phone and wifi would be tremendously helpfull either if its one or the other.

Edit: Thanks for your links as well

You might be better served by giving the Onwireless people a call to get their thoughts. They might be able to look at the open signal map and tell you right off the bat if what you want to do is possible given the distances and antennas available. With that much distance line of sight might be your biggest challenge.

• Locked thread