Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

In Resident Evil Remake, Jill's boobs jiggle if you move, shoot, get attacked, anything. It kind of ruins the mood for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

In Resident Evil Remake, Jill's boobs jiggle if you move, shoot, get attacked, anything. It kind of ruins the mood for me.

They need to show off how capable the Gamecube was.

Also obligatory "This is the dragging things down thread"

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

In the PS3 version of Two Worlds 2 you can map abilities to the face buttons. Using a physical ability is simply a matter of pressing the button but with spells the button merely selects it, you have to press R2 which adds an extra button press for no reason and leaves that button unavailable for melee attacks which would be the only useful option if the enemy is right in your face which they will be because they run right towards you. You can still melee attack if you're blocking but you can only block if the left analogue stick is in exactly neutral position which it won't be if you're using an older pad. The block button is also the run button so when you want to run your character will stand there blocking for a second or two which isn't very effective in the first place against the kind of enemies you want to run away from.

IIRC there isn't a way to map anything to the default potion button (or at least I couldn't find one) and if you craft too many spells it will get overridden.

I also remember that the most detailed versions of some objects would not appear unless my character was stood right next to them and looking at them from the right angle and even then only momentarily. This is arguably the game's worst crime, giving you a reason to pity artists.

The final annoying thing that I can remember is that a large portion of what is by far the game's largest continent is (meant to be) inaccessible in single player giving the false impression that the game world is bigger than it actually is. The single player map is invisible and inaccessible in multiplayer mode anyway and since multiplayer mode is a separate thing, these is no good reason to have it's area smack bang in the middle the single player map.

It's a shame. The game actually has some good features; they just belong in a better game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

In a lot of games it feels less like my character is walking somewhere and more like the entire world is just sliding around.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's dragging down every Koei Warriors game prior to Samurai Warrior 4 is the lack of Hyper-dashing. :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SirPhoebos posted:

What's dragging down every Koei Warriors game prior to Samurai Warrior 4 is the lack of Hyper-dashing. :negative:

I just picked up Bladestorm Nightmare and its a loving awesome game, finally feels like Koei and Omega Force decided to use their experience to branch out a bit more (not talking about samurai warriors vs dynasty warriors, comeon guys) and they made something that's a good bit different. Its got a great style european medieval thing going on, it has more strategy and tactics than dynasty warriors (without turning into dynasty tactics / romance of the three kingdoms). And the nightmare expansion adds some proper Berserk style demons and whatnot.

BUT, and this is a gigantic Kardashian butt,
While having control over squads and being able to lead the charge and command them is cool as gently caress,

Replacing the basic and amazing tried-and-tested combat from Dynasty Warriors with simply holding down R1 to auto-attack in-between using squad tactics is completely killing this game for me.

If only you could still fight 1-on-1 as good as dynasty warriors but could ALSO command squads of dudes it'd be the best Musuo game they ever made. But instead its just more of a strategy game overall than a fighting game. Its a huge loving drat shame.

Also, for that matter, which one was it? Dynasty Warriors 6 where they experimented with that weird control scheme? That sucked. Glad they reversed course for later titles. The whole X-T X-X-T X-X-X-T combo system is perfect and you shouldn't fix what ain't broken.

Bladestorm could have still let you fight using the face buttons while you could command your squad by holding down L1 while pressing face buttons. It would have worked SO well. I wouldn't even mind if they reduce your personal fighting capability so you get your rear end kicked if you try to go solo, just being able to actually fight would make the game so much more engaging.

Instead its "Charge attack!" "sweep attack!" "other special attack!" .... okay, everything is on cooldown now? Welp.... better hold R1 for about 5 minutes and just watch netflix...

Either let me fight by myself while the squad is on cooldown, or make the cooldowns shorter so I can always be doing something.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Daggers are the highest damaging weapons in the entire game if you've been using combos properly. I have no idea how you can be doing such piddly damage unless you've invested nothing in your stats and are using a weapon too high level for you. :psyduck:

Can you upload save states for Lords of the Fallen to others? I want you to check this out.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Jastiger posted:

Can you upload save states for Lords of the Fallen to others? I want you to check this out.

Take screenshots of your character and gear.

Also, did they fix the load times in the PC version? I loved the gameplay, but waiting for up to a minute after dying was just waaaaay too much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inco posted:

Also, did they fix the load times in the PC version? I loved the gameplay, but waiting for up to a minute after dying was just waaaaay too much.

I don't recall the load times but the framerate starts chugging hard whenever you're in a room that isn't a corridor or you're outside.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wow, Jastiger is really terrible at this game that I've never heard of. He keeps doing 1 damage before immediately dying. I am surprised but proud that no one so far has told him to git gud.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Inco posted:

I'll do this when I get home.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Any time a game has a home base that you visit throughout the game and it has conspicuous locked doors, grapple points, or other gameplay elements they may as well just put up a big flashing neon sign that says "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A FIGHT HERE AT THE END OF THE GAME" and get it over with.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Any time a game has a home base that you visit throughout the game and it has conspicuous locked doors, grapple points, or other gameplay elements they may as well just put up a big flashing neon sign that says "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A FIGHT HERE AT THE END OF THE GAME" and get it over with.

What game(s) are you talking about? I can't think of any where that happens.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mycot posted:

What game(s) are you talking about? I can't think of any where that happens.

Wolfenstein TNO comes to mind.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

Wolfenstein TNO comes to mind.

I thought the plot/setting of that game telegraphed you having your home base invaded way harder than any gameplay elements.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Leal posted:

They need to show off how capable the Gamecube was.

Also obligatory "This is the dragging things down thread"

Not that remake, the recent remake of that remake.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the plot/setting of that game telegraphed you having your home base invaded way harder than any gameplay elements.

That's one of the things dragging TNO down for me. I know it's a dumb on rails shooter but it lacks any and all subtlety and it constantly shoves it's terrible story down your throat.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kazil posted:

That's one of the things dragging TNO down for me. I know it's a dumb on rails shooter but it lacks any and all subtlety and it constantly shoves it's terrible story down your throat.

Wolfenstein kind of reminded me of Dishonored in that the world and characters are all really compelling and lovingly made but the plot itself is the bare minimum "this guy wronged you, go kill him" needed to string a bunch of missions together and give you an excuse to go to all the cool places they made. I could give less of a poo poo about Deathshead killing your buddy 16 years ago, I'm too busy listening to the Beatles performing in German, talking my autistic mentat down from her existential crisis, and musing about what a funny word "buoy" is.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I don't understand the way notes/lore/info/whatever are logged in ANY of the Dragon Age games. It's really annoying! They should have lists or something, where the newest piece of information gets bumped up to the top. I just live with perpetual asterisks on every tab because I can't be bothered scrolling through to find whatever had updated.

Also - there was no pay off at all with Curly and his lyrium addiction. That was disappointing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Really, any game with a home base is going to have that base get invaded. It's as near-inevitable as getting betrayed by your allies for a half-thought out reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kazil posted:

TNO's setting and plot are so over-the-top and one-dimensional that I subconsciously started viewing it as a parody of Allied propaganda and had to remind myself that yes, the Nazis really were that bad.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Really, any game with a home base is going to have that base get invaded. It's as near-inevitable as getting betrayed by your allies for a half-thought out reason.

Let's not forget about how helicopters are doomed to crash or be shot down, without fail.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

Wolfenstein kind of reminded me of Dishonored in that the world and characters are all really compelling and lovingly made but the plot itself is the bare minimum "this guy wronged you, go kill him" needed to string a bunch of missions together and give you an excuse to go to all the cool places they made. I could give less of a poo poo about Deathshead killing your buddy 16 years ago, I'm too busy listening to the Beatles performing in German, talking my autistic mentat down from her existential crisis, and musing about what a funny word "buoy" is.

The thing dragging Wolfenstein down for me was the inconsistent effort on the german. Most of it was perfect, the posters on the wall were correct german, the german characters had german people voice them so they didn't sound like americans who never spoke german in their life.
And then suddenly theres the poster with some Google translate level of german gibberish on it, or "Max Hass" who can only say those two loving words and still pronounces "Max" like someone from america and not like someone from germany.
They went through so much effort to get the german right and then gently caress up on such easy to fix things. Just annoyed me.

Not as annoying as having to pirate the game to actually get a game where they didn't scratch of any and all references to nazi germany. Because if a german ever sees a swastika in a videogame his brain will explode or turn into full nazi mode...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There are nazis in wolfenstein??

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shai-Hulud posted:

Not as annoying as having to pirate the game to actually get a game where they didn't scratch of any and all references to nazi germany. Because if a german ever sees a swastika in a videogame his brain will explode or turn into full nazi mode...

That one's on Germany, not the developers.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Coincidentally, Wolfenstein TNO had a really well-executed betrayal fakeout. The surly, disinterested loner member of the resistance isn't standoffish because he's about to betray you, he acts that way because he's bereaved, depressed, and preparing to blow himself up in a suicide car-bomb .

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Shai-Hulud posted:

We tried trusting you fuckers twice. That one's on you.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
FFXIV yet again hates people who want to fish.

With the newest update you can "collect" things and trade them in for special money. The three gathering classes, Miner Botanist and Fisherman, all have different things they have to hand in. Miners simply have to go to a special set of rocks at the right time and get 1 item per hit. Botanists do the same.

Fisherman? You have to go find the water (hope that it's both the right time AND weather) and stand there like a dildo pulling up worthless fish until you get the ones you need. They also have to be the highest quality you can get in order to be handed in, so you'll be using what few skills you have while these bastard fish snap your line and eat 25-55k lures. Or you can use your special money to buy one time use live bait instead of saving it for gear. You also have to have a few million gil worth of gear to get anything worthwhile, which you can't get because nobody buys fish except other fisherman trying to level. A rock or bit of silk can go for 500k+ but fish rarely go above 10k each.

On top of this, you need over 4900 of the special money to buy a book for an area so you can gather really rare things. Miners and Botanists can get a book done in a day if they time it right. Fisherman? Hahaha good luck gently caress you, you only get 40-50 of the special money per fish handed in.

I just want to wear a terrible out fit and fish giant god fish, stop making it so hard Square Enix.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Maybe you need to establish a fishing pact.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

The thing dragging Wolfenstein down for me was the inconsistent effort on the german. Most of it was perfect, the posters on the wall were correct german, the german characters had german people voice them so they didn't sound like americans who never spoke german in their life.
The Saboteur is frequently made hilarious by this.

"Wenigstens kriegen wir guten TabaKCHCH."

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

That one's on Germany, not the developers.

Well yeah i know. I think its pretty ridiculous though. Showing nazi symbols in movies, comics, and pictures is fine. But not in games! That's a step to far!

It goes as far as you not being able to play the international version in Germany even when you buy and activate it in another country.

Oh yeah, another thing. At the beginning Deathshead (why they didn't just call him Totenkopf is beyond me) makes you choose which of your comrades he gets to kill. And I knew that if I pick the young dude I'll get an "it should have been me! He was so young!" Scene with the Scottish dude later on.
No it loving shouldn't have been you!
The Scottish dude was flying bombers, lead the whole drat mission and was generally kicking nazi rear end all the time.
The young dude was pretty much just stumbling along getting rescued by the Scott.
There's no shortage of young inexperienced soldiers, I made the right choice!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah if you save the young dude instead that's pretty much what he says to you in his version of the "why did you pick me? I feel so guilty scene!"

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Oh yeah, another thing. At the beginning Deathshead (why they didn't just call him Totenkopf is beyond me) makes you choose which of your comrades he gets to kill. And I knew that if I pick the young dude I'll get an "it should have been me! He was so young!" Scene with the Scottish dude later on.
No it loving shouldn't have been you!
The Scottish dude was flying bombers, lead the whole drat mission and was generally kicking nazi rear end all the time.
The young dude was pretty much just stumbling along getting rescued by the Scott.
There's no shortage of young inexperienced soldiers, I made the right choice!

IMO that belongs in the other games thread - if you let Deathshead kill the Scottish guy, the young soldier calls you out when you reunite using precisely this argument - he's got serious issues because he was thrust into a position of responsibility in the resistance he was completely unprepared for, and you can't convince him that the Scottish guy wouldn't have been better. The game treats it exactly like the horrible choice it is. IIRC if you refuse to make the choice, Deathshead just kills you all. It's a really brutal bit of storytelling.

Compare that to, like, Mass Effect, where you're just let off the hook regardless of who you choose to die.

e; beaten by a minute

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The Nazi thing rarely comes up though, the censored low violence versions are much more aggravating to the point where I just don't buy a game if it's censored. I got Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam and the censorship kind of kills the mood entirely because zombies just despawn the second they die. And it's pretty arbitrary too or takes a while to be implemented in places. For example my Fallout 3 version on Steam is censored while New Vegas is not. And in Payday 2 it's apparently completely okay because cops aren't people or whatever.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Shai-Hulud posted:

One language aspect I found quite funny is that I think theres a subtitle option for "non-English" or "foreign only". I picked it thinking it would allow me to understand any background dialog between Nazis.

Nope, its just the Scottish guy that's subtitled.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Fergus is the best companion just for his aw shite piss-and-vinegar voice but if you pick Wyatt then you get alternate-unverse Jimi Hendrix chilling out at your base and jamming between missions while Fergus leaves you with a neurotic genderbent Nikolai Tesla (creatively named Tekla) who mouths off at you constantly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You guys are all making me really annoyed that I haven't beaten TNO yet.

Edit: What bummed me out about the game was that I knew the premise of it. I think I would've loved it more if I had gone into the game thinking that this last-ditch assault on the compound would be this huge experience where you make your way through a massive Nazi labyrinth of laboratories and super weapons, before taking on the big bad - only to be sideswiped by the failure and subsequent alternate history plotline. I would've been floored.

DoubleEdit: Same thing with Final Fantasy 6. I had read the Nintendo Power strategy for that game long before I played it, and knew what would happen on the Floating Continent. If I didn't know that...holy poo poo my little 9-year-old brain would've popped when Kefka became victorious.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jul 24, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morglon posted:

The Nazi thing rarely comes up though, the censored low violence versions are much more aggravating to the point where I just don't buy a game if it's censored. I got Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam and the censorship kind of kills the mood entirely because zombies just despawn the second they die. And it's pretty arbitrary too or takes a while to be implemented in places. For example my Fallout 3 version on Steam is censored while New Vegas is not. And in Payday 2 it's apparently completely okay because cops aren't people or whatever.

Payday 2 doesn't have gore like those other games, which is what got them censored (although that doesn't keep a lot of pretty creepy people in the thread from asking for it to be added)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sleeveless posted:

Fergus is the best companion just for his aw shite piss-and-vinegar voice but if you pick Wyatt then you get alternate-unverse Jimi Hendrix chilling out at your base and jamming between missions while Fergus leaves you with a neurotic genderbent Nikolai Tesla (creatively named Tekla) who mouths off at you constantly.

Tekla is the best, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, while Jimi blasts out a rad-as-gently caress rendition of America the Beautiful, Tekla actually kills a bunch of Nazis. I know which one I want in my underground resistance bunker.