Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Opop: how feasible is it to pop over to Seattle for a night to catch a show and come back in time for work hours the next morning?

Asking for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Gin is an alcoholic's drink.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

Opop: how feasible is it to pop over to Seattle for a night to catch a show and come back in time for work hours the next morning?

Asking for me.

Pretty long trip from mtl

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Alcohol is an alcoholic's drink.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

My favorite drink is the blood of my foes.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

Semi weighted keys means you can do some stuff with dynamics but you're still gonna lose a lot of subtlety and range with those. My dude is sleeping in the room where by keyboard is so I can't look at the model but it's not terrible for a beginner. Still, since I started school I haven't played my keyboard at all, just the actual pianos at school. It's a whole different feel and I've had to build stamina in my hands and arms.

You said that you think learning might be difficult. My best advice is to skip beginner piano books and learn theory. There are tutorial videos online about piano technique and you can buy or download sheet music anywhere, but the thing that's gonna be crucial in making all of it stick is knowing music theory.

I started playing when I was six and I've never taken lessons. My mom used to buy me piano books for movie scores I liked, like I think I had the Prince of Egypt and Titanic and the Charlie Brown scores. I was never strong at reading music so I'd figure out half the notes from music and half from playing by ear. In high school I got more serious about it and played a bunch of Ben Folds and Tori Amos by ear -- I remember one day where I figured out "Cigarette" note by note for five hours straight. Then I wrote a bunch of songs on the piano and played them over and over, but basically my process for learning was "hmm this interval/chord sounds great together, what if I inverted the chord"

Now I'm taking a basic theory course and I've gotten much stronger without really practicing much more. Understanding key signatures and relative minors has been amazing -- until now I thought I really liked playing in E flat major, but what I didn't understand is that I actually like playing in A flat major and doing smooth transitions into and out of c minor/E flat major. Finally grasping that has made poo poo so fun, it's like I'm finally driving with a road map.

Chord theory and key signatures are incredibly helpful if you're just starting out. Also if you want a single piece of music to learn that's accessible to intermediate/strong beginner level and will grow you SO much to learn, try Nuvole Bianche by Ludovico Einaudi. I'm learning it by ear right now and listening for the right intervals is so maddeningly fun.

Thank you for the suggestions! Yeah I did choir for a long time so hopefully I'm not too rusty on reading music. Learning chords will be a bitch though. I'm going to try to get some books that help me with that stuff. Should be fun!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

My favorite drink is the blood of my foes.

List your foes, Keane!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

List your foes, Keane!

Just look in my fridge, they're labeled.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6htQAxTNF0g

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

Asking for me.

From Vancouver this is definitely possible.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I hope President Trump outlaws PMoms from entering the country.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

CCKeane posted:

So when you were saying "martini" you meant "not a martini"

Gin supremacy.

This is the correct opinion.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

From Vancouver this is definitely possible.

And I figure it probably is from Victoria, because you can (probably?) see the US from your house and Seattle is just across the (bay? strait? sound?), but I'd like to know if there's actually frequent or convenient enough transit before I pull the trigger on tickets to a show on a Wednesday night.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
So like, at my job, for a prominent rental car company.

I got a call just now.

First thing the guy says.

"Ya'll rent cars?"

That's like calling up a local chain restaurant and saying "Ya'll make food ?"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

BottleKnight posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! Yeah I did choir for a long time so hopefully I'm not too rusty on reading music. Learning chords will be a bitch though. I'm going to try to get some books that help me with that stuff. Should be fun!

My little brother taught himself piano by working through Music Theory for Dummies. The way I play is kind of a cheater method but basically you would want to learn key signatures, then intervals, including diminished and augmented, which is super easy if you can even kinda sorta read music. Going from there, a basic triad is a third with a fifth over it. You can play an open chord with your left hand by playing an octave with the fifth in the middle, which allows you to switch from major to minor really easily. Step it up by playing the third with the fifth below instead of over, which gives a piece depth and allows you to rapidly change chords. Presto, you can play keys for an indie band.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Gin is my favorite :sun:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Personally, I've never gone for the taste of pine pitch, but it's fine if other people like it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

I got a call just now.

"Ya'll rent cars?"

'Hello?'

'Hi, how can we help you?'

'Is this the internet?'

'... Yes, this is the internet. How can we help you?'

Then she bought a jigsaw puzzle. True story.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I have been having such a struggle with scarlett this week. :( on sunday the electric starter just WOULDN'T work, and the only shop in town wasn't open until tuesday. When I took it in they said there was an issue with the right brake lever. They fixed it Wednesday and I was $60 lighter (for a $10 part, gorram), but today when I tried to drive to dinner the entire battery had kicked it. I had to go back inside, put on a boot, and kickstart it like a savage (and I was half an hour late for dinner!!).

A new battery is ~$50 more down the drain. :mad:

oh well it still beats having a car.

Oh man, if only I had those sorts of problems. I just got mine back out of the shop, the clutch face-plate and rollers needed to be replaced, along with the drive belt that they destroyed in their failure. That's $740, on top of the $300-plus I just paid for new tires a month or two before.

BottleKnight posted:

the one I'm looking at is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P03P778/

the reviews say it's keys aren't full-weighted but they are somewhat and aren't plastic

I didn't even know keyboards had less than full keys but for the price this 88-key seems pretty good

that'd be awesome! and if she has any advice about brands that'd be great too, I am a blank slate on this other than google searches and amazon reviews.

Meyer suggests a vintage Yamaha CP-35 or -25 so you become accustomed to weighted keys and back-breaking labor trying to move the loving thing. Also for giving kitty a place to be tall from.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

Personally, I've never gone for the taste of pine pitch, but it's fine if other people like it.

It's very, very much an acquired taste, and I completely understand why people don't like it, taste is very subjective (for example, I'm not a huge fan of whiskey, even though I get why people are).

All that said, you make a drat martini with gin, not vodka.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

CCKeane posted:

It's very, very much an acquired taste, and I completely understand why people don't like it, taste is very subjective (for example, I'm not a huge fan of whiskey, even though I get why people are).

All that said, you make a drat martini with gin, not vodka.

Vodka martinis are for when you want to drink straight vodka from a glass and look respectable rather than pathetic. That's why I drink them, anyway. Also the boozy olives.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Gin just sends me straight from sober to puking my guts out without any buffer in between those two states, so I just stay away from it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

ecco hair update (hairpdate):

I managed to fall asleep with the towel wrapped around my head like a turban for warmth; the earthy smell from the dye got incorporated into my dream, where I was a little kid out at night, running through rich people's backyards, climbing their fences and falling into their gardens, getting covered in dirt, and washing off in this wooded area with a creek. Following the creek I managed to find a giant cave shaped like a skull, and approaching it I could see smugglers inside with a treasure map. I knew in the context of the dream I'd be getting that map later and going on an adventure... if I hadn't woken up covered in my own drool. I uh drool a lot when I sleep and having a garbage bag over my pillow meant it pooled so um gross yeah.

Anyway I washed it out and now my hair is super soft. I will try to get a lot of sun today to really bring out the dyes :sun:

Oh cool. I also drooled a lot last night. I don't know why, I usually don't.

I used to be pretty into gin. I still like it but I'd rather just have a whiskey. I don't know much about whiskey but I like it and am fortunate enough to know people who know it better and have money so I tend to drink good whiskey. I think.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I used to be pretty into gin. I still like it but I'd rather just have a whiskey. I don't know much about whiskey but I like it and am fortunate enough to know people who know it better and have money so I tend to drink good whiskey. I think.

100yr have you tried the whiskey brand of "paint thinner" I think you'd like it a lot.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

I got a call just now.

"Ya'll rent cars?"

Every time I call a pizza place I open with "can I get a pizza?" Because I'm a bit nervous about starting the pizza purchasing process not because I'm confused about whether I'm able to get a pizza, maybe it's like that?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Every time I used to call a taxi company I'd say "I'd like a taxi" for the same reason. I don't know what informtion you want first, so ask me something, taxi operator.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Last time I called a taxi I stammered for a good 30-60 seconds before the operator said "would you like a taxi?"

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Is it that hard to say "I need a ride from X to Y, when will it be here?"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

100YrsofAttitude posted:

One time my friends and I went to Chicago to see a Night Vale show. Four of us stayed in a hotel in downtown Chicago. I had a really horrible virus that had made me vomit almost nonstop for nine hours by the time we got there, so I went straight to bed and two of them went out drinking. They ended up each getting a couple whiskeys in the bar, and they were like WOW THIS WHISKEY IS SO GOOD and then when they got their tab, those whiskeys were $21 apiece

I have never let them live it down because one of them takes huge pride in being a cheapass, so he'd come home from work and have his nightly dinner slop bowl containing two packs of ramen and three Kraft singles, I'd be like "WOW THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS, SURE YOU DON'T WANT A $21 WHISKEY SHOT WITH IT?"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Goons

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Remind us of the time you met carp :allears:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
At least Taste has de-evolved back to trolling Taste. We've come full circle.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I think if anything it's better to not approach every girl at a venue asking about Internet and carpet but hey

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I am 100% sincere in all things I say in this thread

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Look Under The Rock posted:

One time my friends and I went to Chicago to see a Night Vale show. Four of us stayed in a hotel in downtown Chicago. I had a really horrible virus that had made me vomit almost nonstop for nine hours by the time we got there, so I went straight to bed and two of them went out drinking. They ended up each getting a couple whiskeys in the bar, and they were like WOW THIS WHISKEY IS SO GOOD and then when they got their tab, those whiskeys were $21 apiece

I have never let them live it down because one of them takes huge pride in being a cheapass, so he'd come home from work and have his nightly dinner slop bowl containing two packs of ramen and three Kraft singles, I'd be like "WOW THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS, SURE YOU DON'T WANT A $21 WHISKEY SHOT WITH IT?"

Yeah whiskey is really expensive. Or at least it can be. I don't buy it.

I also saw Night Vale! I was really thrilled when they actually came to Paris to put on a show. It was a lot of fun.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Except for this statement, I am 100% insincere about everything I say in this thread, and also your haircut looks good today, wow!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't regret seeing Night Vale in Chicago at all, but I felt done with it afterwards. I was into the spooky scary bits, once it became more about continuity and tongue in cheek humor I was less interested.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
apparently i've been screaming in my sleep a lot and i'm not sure what to do about that. suggestions?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

apparently i've been screaming in my sleep a lot and i'm not sure what to do about that. suggestions?
Get rid of the mirror above your bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Record it for a hot sample