Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
new email, who dis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Symbolic Butt posted:

vagrant is garbage poo poo for idiots

seems OK for development environments
pity it's rubby

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i guess they never heard of sqlite3? does mysql have any features worth using other than "silently changing table types from innodb to myisam to gently caress you over" or "silently casting nulls to empty strings to gently caress you over" or

the fact myisam still exists is terrible
innodb has its own brand of stupid though, like not defaulting to file-per-table, and even then requiring the entire ibdata1 file for the entire database so you have to use hacks like xtrabackup to take consistent partial snapshots

you can tell it to be 'strict' to avoid the silent php-style casting but lol that's not the default. php-style database.

been doing too much dba janitoring lately. mysql replication is so easy to break too sigh

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

my stepdads beer posted:

seems OK for development environments
pity it's rubby

it's amazing how fragile it is, the integration with virtualbox is super dumb

the easiest solution most of the time seems to be to delete the .vagrant directory and start all over again

I'll fight anyone here who says vagrant "JUST WORKS" instead of "arbitrarily creates a bunch of nonissues and wasting everybody's time" vagrant experience

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
god this software is a tremendous piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use docker instead ftw

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
after all these years i have finally watched someone unintentionally do an rm -rf * on a bunch of important data

unix, the user-friendly os

the surprising part is that we turned out to actually have regular backups, and someone knew how to restore them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

i used evolution for sometime, it supports exchange, but i prefer webmail anyway.

evolution's exchange "support" was screen-scraping owa.

it no longer works

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

vagrant is garbage poo poo for idiots

vagrant is the de facto cross platform standard. if i don't want to send someone a 16 gb ova/ovf file, it's vagrant or nothing

it doesn't matter if it sucks because it's not really a choice

that said docker + test-kitchen can be a really nice combo if your target audience can be relied upon to figure out how to get those lovely docker wrapper scripts to work on osx

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

evolution's exchange "support" was screen-scraping owa.

it no longer works

uh, no? it has had a maintained mapi plugin for quite some time: https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-mapi

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vagrant is the de facto cross platform standard. if i don't want to send someone a 16 gb ova/ovf file, it's vagrant or nothing

it doesn't matter if it sucks because it's not really a choice

that said docker + test-kitchen can be a really nice combo if your target audience can be relied upon to figure out how to get those lovely docker wrapper scripts to work on osx

uhh brew and boot2docker make this trivial

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

uh, no? it has had a maintained mapi plugin for quite some time: https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-mapi

well, raw mapi is also dead, so this code doesn't work either

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
https://github.com/GNOME/evolution-ews

this is new (to me) and cool tho

ews is actually supported and enabled by default on modern versions of exchange, so if this code works it's likely to work for most people most of the time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, raw mapi is also dead, so this code doesn't work either

I wasn't aware of that. The document here describing Exchange's architecture (last updated earlier this year) definitely suggests that MAPI is definitely still used.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee157205%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wasn't aware of that. The document here describing Exchange's architecture (last updated earlier this year) definitely suggests that MAPI is definitely still used.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee157205%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

mapi is still used internal to exchange, but for client access it runs the mapi stuff over some weird fuckin RPC over HTTPS layer.

there exist microsoft-rpc-over-https libraries for linux but it basically requires you to build samba 4 from git to get started.

ews is a lot simpler, but until today, i didn't know of a linux mail/calendar app with ews support

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, you're simply talking about autodiscovery, not actual mail delivery. OK, yeah, then that's still under development.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, you're simply talking about autodiscovery, not actual mail delivery. OK, yeah, then that's still under development.

no, the actual mail stuff requires msrpc/https support.

direct mapi is dead as a doornail.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i learned this stuff very painfully a few jobs ago, even tried to hack on some of the code. stuff was very, very, very broken at that time.

now it looks like evolution sidesteps all the bullshit with an ews backend. that's a huge step forward (if it works)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just set up a smtp relay idiots

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
yeah lemme just run loving davmail that's an awesome solution

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

uhh brew and boot2docker make this trivial

just use docker cli on mac and have it talk to a headless linux running docker elsewhere, i.e. in a datacenter or a closet or anywhere that's not on your desktop or lap

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what the gently caress is nixos

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i had to boot up the linux desktop for the first time in a month or so and it took a half hour or so of reboots and plugging and unplugging before my usb keyboard and mouse would work (the keyboard would work fine in the bootloader selection screen but as soon as it got into the login screen: nope)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just use docker cli on mac and have it talk to a headless linux running docker elsewhere, i.e. in a datacenter or a closet or anywhere that's not on your desktop or lap

you putsyour dockers inside of your vagrant box

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress is nixos

a package system that thinks it has it all figured out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a package system that thinks it has it all figured out

I might install it on a yostop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

I might install it on a yostop

i thought about it until i realized that neither puppet nor chef supports nix worth a poo poo

the nix people imagine that their package system is a replacement for configuration management (it is not) so they sneer at the whole idea and write nasty essays

go figure the community responds by politely ignoring them

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah or. you know, the obvious. the fact that no one uses it

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the nix people imagine that their package system is a replacement for configuration management (it is not)

lol

that's literally everything i need to know about nix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

yeah or. you know, the obvious. the fact that no one uses it

chef natively supports at least two package systems i've never heard of, in addition to such widely used formats as solaris "ips" (11.0-only), macports, and openbsd ports.

in other words, it only really takes one user to get changes mainstreamed

nix must have literally 0 users who also have an interest in configuration management. i am imagining a community made up exclusively of smug weirdos who think packaging is the hard part

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

nix literally is a replacement for other config management tools... if you're willing to write nix

if that's too hard for you, then yeah, you should probably stick to chef

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nix must have literally 0 users who also have an interest in configuration management. i am imagining a community made up exclusively of smug weirdos who think packaging is the hard part

mostly true

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://www.nixlice.com/

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i thought about it until i realized that neither puppet nor chef supports nix worth a poo poo

the nix people imagine that their package system is a replacement for configuration management (it is not) so they sneer at the whole idea and write nasty essays

go figure the community responds by politely ignoring them

hmm it sounds pretty good for my needs then

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
We are halfway through the year. How is linux on the desktop coming along? Has the endless reached 100k shipped? Will Smythe ever abandon gnome 3? Burning questions that need to be answered.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows 10 is basically linux sooo

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wow, I googled this and yeah - command line package manager. How are those shady download sites that pay for google ads going to get crapware on ur pc now?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yikes, this dude says its as good as dead. RIP.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

windows 10 is basically linux sooo

emerge excel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

emerge excel

same but again after I change use flags to enable numbers