Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Max posted:

After Scotland I am traveling to Iceland. Should I do anything / eat anything / drink anything exciting while there?

also, you better make it a plan to drive in to iceland to catch some northern lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I officially take everything bad I said about the U.S. back, you guys aren't that bad.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
no we are, just learn to take everything for granted like us and you'll see hiipfire

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

BottleKnight posted:

no we are, just learn to take everything for granted like us and you'll see hiipfire

I'm going to make sure I never take anything for granted so I never have to see hiipfire.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

BottleKnight posted:

I saw an ad on TV about same-sex marriage which confused me cause same-sex marriage hasn't been an issue for years over here

but then i realized that the us is confusing sometimes

as in bad

but the people in said bad country seem to be chill so I like it

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

CCKeane posted:

I'm going to make sure I never take anything for granted so I never have to see hiipfire.

:(

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

join my game, please, I beg of you, my children are starving

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

BottleKnight posted:

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

HiipFire posted:

I saw an ad on TV about same-sex marriage which confused me cause same-sex marriage hasn't been an issue for years over here

but then i realized that the us is confusing sometimes

as in bad

but the people in said bad country seem to be chill so I like it
Yea we got our good and bad over here just like everywhere else.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I have been watching the Swedish adaptation of the girl with the dragon tattoo on netflix and it is really good. I read the book years ago and it's great but since I never got around to the rest of the trilogy I think this may be the way to go.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
it really grinds my gears that hollywood feels the need to 'remake' movies that have been out for not even a few years just because they weren't made in america. the people are even speaking english ffs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like Skins USA lol

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

uranus posted:

it really grinds my gears that hollywood feels the need to 'remake' movies that have been out for not even a few years just because they weren't made in america. the people are even speaking english ffs.

Why do you hate america so much

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am thinking of starting another mafia game soon. I will wait for BK's game to fill up first.

This game will be called... I do not know yet. I want it to take place on an island and be about fish mongers, so I just need to come up with a stupid fantasy name for it. It'll be a minigame, played fairly straightforward, with none of my usual tricky gimmicks and misdirection.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Make a sequel to the BottleKnight game imo

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Make a sequel to the BottleKnight game imo

Something's Fishy on the Island of Manakin?

A Surplus of Salt

The Mongers of Manakin

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

EccoRaven posted:

Something's Fishy on the Island of Manakin?

A Surplus of Salt

The Mongers of Manakin

The French angelfish Connection

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

I am thinking of starting another mafia game soon. I will wait for BK's game to fill up first.

This game will be called... I do not know yet. I want it to take place on an island and be about fish mongers, so I just need to come up with a stupid fantasy name for it. It'll be a minigame, played fairly straightforward, with none of my usual tricky gimmicks and misdirection.

The Perils of Pescatore Island

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hi friends, so i ran a quick statistical analysis on fantasymovieleague's week 10;

our league elected to show Adam Sandler's Pixels 5 out of 96 times at a ratio of 5.2% of total screenings; this is lower than the site's overall average of 6.25% - yay us

if left up to random chance, the movie would have been screened 6.67% of the time, meaning both us and the average human being on FML may have had an axe to grind with the movie's potential - i haven't run a proper statistical analysis on the accuracy of the majority on FML but considering the sample size of ~6000 active theaters: SUCK IT, SANDLER

the five screens showing Pixels in our league were selected by four people, meaning someone (asiina), decided that they alone are going to quadruple the average screening rate of Pixels - HOW EVIL

pixels is projected to gross $39,000,000, which is GREAT, but its performance per fantasybux ratio is (39,000,000/302)/100,000 (for cleanliness) which gives us an expected return rate of 1.29 (now this is not scientific but you can expect that this is how FML plan their fantasybux price). here's how literally every other movie stacks up:
Ant-Man: 1.28
Paper Towns: 1.46
Minions: 1.59
Trainwreck: 1.49
Southpaw: 1.59
Inside Out: 1.59
Jurassic World: 1.6
Mr. Holmes: 1.3
Terminator Genisys: 1.28
Magic Mike XXL: 1.57
data not available for other filler movies but they all should be around ~1.0 exactly
what this means is that four of us intentionally picked one out of three movies that are expected to perform horribly, but gross massively - THUS FOLLOWING THE TRUE SPIRIT OF ADAM SANDLER

conclusions: we are 1.05% less likely to make stupid, irrational decisions than the average human being, this is what our constant practice of reading people and trying to be logical has given us

until next time, this was Stats With Ernie

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
Unemployed.txt

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

saturday.txt :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think Pixels will be awful.

I also think that it will be wildly popular.

Basically I have very little faith in humanity.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

I think Pixels will be awful.

I also think that it will be wildly popular.

Basically I have very little faith in humanity.

but that's what i find interesting about this analysis!

allow me to get super nerdy for a second!

if the average person on FML ranks Adam Sandler's success potential as being less likely than random chance would have it, then maybe the tide is turning. maybe not with Pixels or the next movie, but he's been consistently under-performing save for the Grown-Ups movies, which means people are starting to expect his being awful unless proven otherwise!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Ernie, I would expect better of you and your stats are doomed from the beginning.

Your sample is skewed all to hell. The kind of people who would engage in a fantasy movie league online is far from a random sampling of all moviegoers.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

the five screens showing Pixels in our league were selected by four people, meaning someone (asiina), decided that they alone are going to quadruple the average screening rate of Pixels
:raise:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

asiina is showing pixels on 2/8 screens
overall site-wide 0.5 screens are showing it per person.
2/0.5 = 4

Asiina posted:

Ernie, I would expect better of you and your stats are doomed from the beginning.

Your sample is skewed all to hell. The kind of people who would engage in a fantasy movie league online is far from a random sampling of all moviegoers.

actually, i considered this briefly, but the kind of person who would make an inefficient selection is already an average person or as in your case is trying their best to predict what the average person will do. scientifically and historically speaking, large numbers of people actively predicting what large numbers of people will do is incredibly accurate in sports betting, for example.

very few people statistically analyze what they should do on FML and there are very few sources of statistical advice. for example, the winning movie-combination this week will be something like 5x Minions, 1x Southpaw, 1x Mr. Holmes and 1x Trainwreck. It would be 6x Minions, 2x Southpaw, but the two million bonus for best performer isn't easy to figure out this week. As for why it's Minions gaining the most screens: because Inside Out's momentum is a statistical anomaly for how late it is in its release cycle, meaning Minions will likely capitalize on that same market that's already more active than expected. That said, Minions is only screening 15% of the time (!) which is silly and uninformed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Can I join this movie thing? This is interesting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The Merkplex 31 wants to open.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

Can I join this movie thing? This is interesting.

merk posted:

The Merkplex 31 wants to open.

Asiina posted:

Movie Fantasy League - Open a theatre, populate your screens, try to make the most money each week. League: SAMafia, Password: rollingstart

it's fun! although i'm limiting myself to running a movie theater for fun this season and next, but the season after that i'm going to use numbers to win.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Perils of Pescatore Island

The Pearl of Port Lourde will open sometime this week.

It is about poor fisherman who find a giant pearl and are driven by greed and desire to destroy each other over it.

This is a wholly unique idea that has never been seen before by anyone ever.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to go buy balloons and make this for my cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekK7peRxKGc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ernie. posted:

asiina is showing pixels on 2/8 screens
overall site-wide 0.5 screens are showing it per person.
2/0.5 = 4

Gotcha. The presence of "alone" in that sentence made it hard to parse - like you were saying that her contribution alone contributed to overrepresentation of Pixels in the league. Otherwise, of course Asiina alone chose what went into her theatre.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

The Pearl of Port Lourde will open sometime this week.

It is about poor fisherman who find a giant pearl and are driven by greed and desire to destroy each other over it.

This is a wholly unique idea that has never been seen before by anyone ever.

I will play.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Adam Sandler took the premise behind The Producers, and made a career out of it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Insert that Half in the Bag about how Happy Madison movies are all a big scam.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Gotcha. The presence of "alone" in that sentence made it hard to parse - like you were saying that her contribution alone contributed to overrepresentation of Pixels in the league. Otherwise, of course Asiina alone chose what went into her theatre.

oh whoops, you're right i should not have put 'alone' in there

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Adam Sandler is bad and should feel bad.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Is capps dead?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Meinberg posted:

Is capps dead?

Yes: BK occasionally channels his ghost for us, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
capps is now a topping on the great pizza in the sky