Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Counterpoint: Expert mode is for punching yourself in the dick repeatedly and if you are starting out the game and don't know if you will enjoy it why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

kazil posted:

Counterpoint: Expert mode is for punching yourself in the dick repeatedly and if you are starting out the game and don't know if you will enjoy it why bother?

There's a certain type of person who are incapable of enjoying a game if A) they know there's a higher difficulty level, and B) they're not playing it.

I don't really get it either. :shrug:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Apparition posted:

Is this jut the whole world carved out?

Not even close. It's only about ~475 blocks wide and 420 blocks tall. Mostly just wanted to clear a large area so I can build something huge and partially underground.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Krittick posted:

Not even close. It's only about ~475 blocks wide and 420 blocks tall. Mostly just wanted to clear a large area so I can build something huge and partially underground.

Scrooge mcduck money vault? Missile silo?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do mimics have some different spawning than regular enemies? I'm trying to get the toy sled for my brother but I'm so sick of grinding these stupid ice chests when they spawn so rarely. I have a setup where I just drop through a ton of layers of an ice biome but mimics still only spawn once every 5 minutes on average which sucks. It doesn't seem like I can just wait in place for them too spawn offscreen like every other enemy though so I can't really afk farm them either.

VVV I'm running around with a battle potion, water candles set up all over the place, and another water candle in my hand :negative:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 25, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

Do mimics have some different spawning than regular enemies? I'm trying to get the toy sled for my brother but I'm so sick of grinding these stupid ice chests when they spawn so rarely. I have a setup where I just drop through a ton of layers of an ice biome but mimics still only spawn once every 5 minutes on average which sucks. It doesn't seem like I can just wait in place for them too spawn offscreen like every other enemy though so I can't really afk farm them either.

Try using battle potions or water candles. I find that rare enemies show up way more often when they're in effect. I even see double Mimics a lot when I chug a battle potion.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV I'm running around with a battle potion, water candles set up all over the place, and another water candle in my hand :negative:

The only thing they need is a natural wall from world gen and the respective biome. I also read that they need total darkness to spawn but that might be baloney.

Try digging out a large tunnel just below ground level with dart traps, a lava pit and a water candle.

Azzents fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 25, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Azzents posted:

The only thing they need is a nature wall from world gen and the respective biome. I also read that they need total darkness to spawn but that might be baloney.

Try digging out a large tunnel just below ground level with dart traps, a lava pit and a water candle.

They don't. They just need to be offscreen, like most other enemies in the game.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

kazil posted:

Count counter point: expert is harder for a little bit near the start and then kind of the same later on as far as i could tell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Indecisive posted:

oh thank gently caress corruptors no longer spread corruption everywhere, that used to be such a pain in the rear end.

Really liking all the quality of life improvements since 1.0 - is it true that corruption no longer fucks the jungle too? Seems that would mess with there being an important world boss there so I'm guessing yes

Nowadays the jungle can eat the corruption faster than the corruption eats it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My jungle is getting wrecked by the crimson. Don't really care since its huge but it definitely doesn't feel like the jungle is fighting back at all. Though honestly I don't get why they didn't just make hallow/corrupt/crimson variants of the jungle so this wouldn't even be an issue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

grancheater posted:

I thought I was ready to take on the Golem.

Turns out my Golem room intersects a marble biome :negative:

Lots of sticky bombs will make quick work of that lovely biome. :hellyeah:

Just beat golem in my multiplayer world and holy loving :lol: I can't believe how easy he still is. Farming the hardmode dungeon is more challenging than killing the golem in multiplayer. Especially when one person has turtle armor and vampire knives and can pretty much outpace the golem's damage while the other tow hit it for 500-1000+ DPS.

Maybe they still think people don't disable traps or something. I bring wire cutters and snip the lines while my minions tear through the enemies. Then once I get a picksaw I go back and collect all the traps. Dozens of spears and spike ball traps for a glorious deathpit for frost and pumpkin moons. :getin:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Today's newbie lesson while grappled onto wooden platforms.

Trying to thrown down dynamite, good.

Trying to throwing down sticky dynamite, bad. "Hey where did it go-oh gently caress"

Also I wonder if Meteors spawn less near the ocean because while my first meteor basically clipped the ocean and I had to carefully carve it out so as not to drown myself, this one in that hit the snow biome I've swiftly ramped through 50th kill to 250th.

Unrelated painful lesson: With auto pause on, The big map view cancels the pause.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright I've never afk grinded in this game before since I hate that poo poo but spending 3+ hours trying to get a stupid snowman is making me question my life choices so I set up this instead;

Is there any reason this shouldn't work for killing ice mimics? They spawned in this room before I turned it into a magma frying pan but so far all I've gotten is a bunch of sludge and armour.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 25, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright I've never afk grinded in this game before since I hate that poo poo but spending 3+ hours trying to get a stupid snowman is making me question my life choices so I set up this instead;

Is there any reason this shouldn't work for killing ice mimics? They spawned in this room before I turned into a magma frying pan but so far all I've gotten is a bunch of sludge and armour.

Shouldn't be, they're not turbo hellfuckers like the Corrupt/Hallowed/Crimson varieties.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any reason this shouldn't work for killing ice mimics? They spawned in this room before I turned it into a magma frying pan but so far all I've gotten is a bunch of sludge and armour.

This was my bare-minimum preparation mimic farm when I wanted to make an ankh shield. If I weren't so lazy I would've made the pit a little wider since mimic kept jumping over it, but it served me well.

Another thing you could do is to do this in a hosted multiplayer world so that your game doesn't pause while alt tabbed. So you can stay in your little cubby hole while mimic hop to their death all while you watch Youtube videos or do something else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No need for a network game. It won't pause most of the time if you're windowed and minimize it by clicking the taskbar icon. It'll still pick up mouse clicks (but not movement) so be sure to switch to a melee weapon or something first.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Does Chlorophyte not grow in the Underworld? Do I need to plant some a bit higher for it to grow?

My underworld farm is doing me fine, so that hasn't changed. Just not insanely fast anymore

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Internet Kraken posted:

My jungle is getting wrecked by the crimson. Don't really care since its huge but it definitely doesn't feel like the jungle is fighting back at all. Though honestly I don't get why they didn't just make hallow/corrupt/crimson variants of the jungle so this wouldn't even be an issue.

my jungle has completely eaten my corruption

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Apparition posted:

Is there any reason to not play Expert mode for your first playthrough aside from difficulty?

It can be frustrating and if you haven't played the game before you'll probably end up spending a lot of time trying to come up with strategies that might or might nor work. Chances are good you'll also have to resort to guides just to see what kind of potions and things like that you can craft/farm for just so you can gear up for the big fights.

If you are ok with that, go ahead. If it sounds a bit tedious, you can find solace in the fact that most expert mode gear is not reaaaally mindblowingly good anyway (the increased drop rate is nice though.)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Det_no posted:

It can be frustrating and if you haven't played the game before you'll probably end up spending a lot of time trying to come up with strategies that might or might nor work. Chances are good you'll also have to resort to guides just to see what kind of potions and things like that you can craft/farm for just so you can gear up for the big fights.

If you are ok with that, go ahead. If it sounds a bit tedious, you can find solace in the fact that most expert mode gear is not reaaaally mindblowingly good anyway (the increased drop rate is nice though.)

Also note that you can always create an expert mode world and hop on to that to grab the expert boss drops and drop rate if you're farming for an item. Unless the idea of 2x enemy health and damage sounds really fun to you for some reason then you're missing out on nothing but tedium by playing on normal.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Fetus posted:

I am making a room using Cog furniture and blocks, but then I realized there is no Cog Backwall item. what would make a good backwall to go with a room made out of cogs?

Tin/Copper Plating as mentioned, and the Painter sells a copper piping wallpaper that could be good as accents. Also a mix of Planked Wall and White Dynasty Wall would make things look decently Victorian.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 25, 2015

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lots of sticky bombs will make quick work of that lovely biome. :hellyeah:

Just beat golem in my multiplayer world and holy loving :lol: I can't believe how easy he still is. Farming the hardmode dungeon is more challenging than killing the golem in multiplayer. Especially when one person has turtle armor and vampire knives and can pretty much outpace the golem's damage while the other tow hit it for 500-1000+ DPS.

Maybe they still think people don't disable traps or something. I bring wire cutters and snip the lines while my minions tear through the enemies. Then once I get a picksaw I go back and collect all the traps. Dozens of spears and spike ball traps for a glorious deathpit for frost and pumpkin moons. :getin:

You don't need a picksaw to collect the traps. You can get them with pre-hardmode picks; in one world, the entrance tunnel before the Plantera-key-locked-door had generated a row of spike ball traps, and I could collect them with just a shadow pickaxe or whatever. I used them in early hardmode to murder the Destroyer as well as defend against blood moons and pirate invasions.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Det_no posted:

So there's no reason to go through on expert when you have defeated everything in normal on hardmode?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The map editors easily allow you to switch a world between expert and not it's what I've been doing so in don't have to have two sets of houses and the such.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got this game as a gift. Played for 10 minutes, got bored, didn't understand anything. Quit

Whats the best guide to break into the game?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Got this game as a gift. Played for 10 minutes, got bored, didn't understand anything. Quit

Whats the best guide to break into the game?

Explore, kill stuff, build stuff. If you don't like sandbox games with character progression done via items this game might not be for you.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For hybrid biomes, like Tundra/Crimson, is it possible to get both Frozen and Crimson Keys from there? Because the game gave me a second Frozen Key when I wanted a Crimson one. :geno: What am I even supposed to do with a second one?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm almost sure I got my crimson key on a corrupt ice biome.

The wiki is also a great resource. I always have it on while I play.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You don't need a picksaw for that, dungeon trap blocks are mineable with weaker pickaxes.

But yeah the Golem is a big wimp.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I was hopine to play some this weekend with some goons. Do most folks run a persistent world or does it get too developed? Why is Starbound so reviled vs Terreria?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Holyshoot posted:

Explore, kill stuff, build stuff. If you don't like sandbox games with character progression done via items this game might not be for you.

I had a blast with Minecraft, and enjoy a lot of character progression. But, maybe I'm spoiled by that. The idea of an "end game" is alien to me in these kinds of games. I walked around a bit, and had a really hard time actually building anything. It just wasn't' intuitive, but I feel like there is a lot I'm missing. I just saw there was an extensive WIKI so I'll check that out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I had a blast with Minecraft, and enjoy a lot of character progression. But, maybe I'm spoiled by that. The idea of an "end game" is alien to me in these kinds of games. I walked around a bit, and had a really hard time actually building anything. It just wasn't' intuitive, but I feel like there is a lot I'm missing. I just saw there was an extensive WIKI so I'll check that out.

That's probably for the best. I should say that Terraria has a really slow start, but its a lot better than it used to be, so you came in at about the right time.

Dr. Fetus posted:

For hybrid biomes, like Tundra/Crimson, is it possible to get both Frozen and Crimson Keys from there? Because the game gave me a second Frozen Key when I wanted a Crimson one. :geno: What am I even supposed to do with a second one?

A few seconds after posting this, the Crimson Key dropped for me! :neckbeard: Along with pretty much every rare drop possible in the area.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

Doctor Borris posted:

I was hopine to play some this weekend with some goons. Do most folks run a persistent world or does it get too developed? Why is Starbound so reviled vs Terreria?

The main reason is because the Starbound devs promised updates "thick and fast" then the game stagnated while they rebuilt a lot of the game from the ground up, leaving a whole one year of nothing.

People lost their patience and flung poo poo, which is a shame, because there are a lot of aspects that I like about Starbound.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
IS there an item that tells me what biome I am in? When underground it can be kind of hard to know which biome you are in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jastiger posted:

This game has a hundred times better progression than Minecraft does. You should definitely be using the wiki though just because its so much easier than relying on the ingame sources of information. Suffice too say, your current goals should be spelunking in the caves too find new gear and make armour in addition too constructing houses for the various NPCs to move into.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This game has a hundred times better progression than Minecraft does. You should definitely be using the wiki though just because its so much easier than relying on the ingame sources of information. Suffice too say, your current goals should be spelunking in the caves too find new gear and make armour in addition too constructing houses for the various NPCs to move into.

This!!^ Vanilla minecraft is poo poo but I got heavily into modded and this game makes me have the same feeling. Play for 4 hours straight and you're like. Where the gently caress did the time go.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So now i can build houses for NPCs? Go on..

I just know I started in an area that had the helper NPC, but it was a really inconvenient spot. I couldn't build anything and it would have taken FOREVER to level it out and get things settled. Was a turn off, vs Minecraft you can more or less get everything set up regardless of starting position.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I just know I started in an area that had the helper NPC, but it was a really inconvenient spot. I couldn't build anything and it would have taken FOREVER to level it out and get things settled. Was a turn off, vs Minecraft you can more or less get everything set up regardless of starting position.

Except in minecraft you have to go make 50 picks and shovels and axes to replace the ones that break.

If your world start spot sucks make a new one. You can take your dude to different worlds.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Jastiger posted:

You don't have to really level much terrain to do any building even in super rugged terrain. Building around terrain is more fun and usually results in cooler looking developments. Hell you don't even have to do any proper building for a good while if you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Holyshoot posted:

This!!^ Vanilla minecraft is poo poo but I got heavily into modded and this game makes me have the same feeling. Play for 4 hours straight and you're like. Where the gently caress did the time go.

Modded Minecraft feels VERY different than Terraria to me, because it's about building complex equipment and automation facilities, even magic oriented mods like Botania and Witchery are about learning complex crafting processes and figuring out how to gain vast amounts of energy. Though I never tried to hard at the combat, you do not really have the robust system of stats and such. The best mods cannot change that the engine is not suited for combat.

Terraria's crafting never gets more complicated than selecting a recipe off a list. There's no modification, timers, or catalysts, just have the thing and walk next to the thing. Meanwhile much of the combat can be accomplished without gaming the system and there is so much variety in enemies, invasions, and bosses.