Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo the bullwhip stuns anything it hits and is treated as basically a short range firearm. I walked around town whipping zombies to pieces after I sewed up the bullwhip with extra leather. Then I got on a bike and pedalled around town whipping zombies to bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
What's the restrictions on using a collapsible frame in vehicle building? I have a completely stupid idea about making a collapsible motorcycle and seeing what insane poo poo I can strap into a side car.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

What's the restrictions on using a collapsible frame in vehicle building? I have a completely stupid idea about making a collapsible motorcycle and seeing what insane poo poo I can strap into a side car.

Requires that all frames are foldable frames and every attached component have the [FOLDABLE] flag which only shows up in-game if the 'add component' window lists a "folded volume" number. Also has to have one set of controls.

Only one set of controls unless you like glitchy weird behavior.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Coolguye posted:

All of the parts on the vehicle need to have the "foldable" tag for it to work. Among other things, this means no engine allowed.

You can maybe put a sidecar on a folding bicycle, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah but it wouldn't be able to support something silly like a turret, and no engine means I can't get away with installing an RC module to make a detonating warbike.

It's a shame we can't tow stuff.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So I managed to get the petrified eye ending of the mines. The constant screaming was really wrecking my mood but I did a dumb thing. I waited half an hour and didn't back out of the swarm that came into view. Then I did another dumb thing and decided hey this would be the perfect time to unleash chain lightning CBM into the pile of wyrms that were starting to wreck my poo poo. :downs:

On the other hand, the effect looked pretty sweet. And I guess I left a fully stocked refugee shelter for other characters to use. Shame I can't get all that survivor gear back any time soon if it hasn't been melted down by all that acid.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 24, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oh hey, another silly question. I found a tablet PC and started messing around with some of the SD cards I've been finding in labs, but everything thus far has come up either clean, or encrypted with no relevant information upon decryption. Is that functionality not working, or am I just unlucky so far?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Coolguye posted:

Oh hey, another silly question. I found a tablet PC and started messing around with some of the SD cards I've been finding in labs, but everything thus far has come up either clean, or encrypted with no relevant information upon decryption. Is that functionality not working, or am I just unlucky so far?

to my knowledge the only use of tablets (or PDAs? or both?) is that if you install a tracker on a vehicle you can keep tabs on it on your map as long as you have it. I've never found a use for SD cards (all my attempts to decrypt them wiped the contents).

e: SD cards not USBs

e again: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7728.0

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The tablets aren't really worth carrying around at the moment. Photos give a large one shot morale boost, but it's nothing an mp3 player won't give you without the hassle. The chances of getting a recipe you'd actually need are astronomically low.

It'd be cool if you could use them to scan and store recipes from books, those things start to really weigh you down after a while.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ah phooey, I was hoping the science cards would contain logs or something. I've been reading some of those in lab computers and the broad strokes of the back story are starting to come together, but without a way to record what I've found it gets difficult to connect the dots.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Once in awhile I've found SD cards with music (useless when mp3 players exist) or books (also useless when books exist) and recipes on occasion, sometimes allowing me to do such amazing things as re-heat pop tarts or cook waffles which you can't figure out on your own mysteriously.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so i downloaded a mod that added more medieval weaponry and 2 new styles, Medieval Swordsmanship and Pankration. here's medieval swordsmanship in action(for some reason its only showing up as normal on the main screen).

dodge is 10 because this is a cheat character

after hitting the first hulk it just took away all control as like 10 more tanks ran at me and suicided on my counter. its kind of ridiculous.

basically, once you get your melee and dodge skill up you are a literal whirling dervish.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 24, 2015

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
One thing that still bothers me, and has bothered me since before even 0.A came out, is that electric motors are not craftable.

You can craft LARGE electric motors, and even small ones, just not plain electric motors. They are required in a couple crafting recipes, like blade traps.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this to go unchanged for like a couple years, is that Granade has some kind of weird backwards logic about it, but it still sucks

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kayle7 posted:

One thing that still bothers me, and has bothered me since before even 0.A came out, is that electric motors are not craftable.

You can craft LARGE electric motors, and even small ones, just not plain electric motors. They are required in a couple crafting recipes, like blade traps.

The only thing I can think of that would cause this to go unchanged for like a couple years, is that Granade has some kind of weird backwards logic about it, but it still sucks

Also (normal) storage batteries but that might be a balance thing.

E: That might be the case on electric engines too, so you can't just spam a shitton of 3x3 zombie blenders.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 25, 2015

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Should be able to anyway, cause you can do many other similarly hilarious things.

I just go ahead and build two small electric motors and junk em and then just spawn in a regular one whenever I want to. As it is, by the time you find an electric motor, you don't need one anymore

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I think acid rain was fully removed ages ago as well, biecause I cannot remember ever getting an acid rain since at least around the time Goon Days Ahead was a thing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They took it out because it was murdering all the wildlife.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

I've found SD cards with crafting recipes on them before.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Have gun workshops been removed? I haven't found a single one, only regular gun shops.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PiCroft posted:

Have gun workshops been removed? I haven't found a single one, only regular gun shops.

They were probably too awesome for saving you most of the effort of reinventing the metalworking industry from the neolithic age up to early 1900s.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

silentsnack posted:

They were probably too awesome for saving you most of the effort of reinventing the metalworking industry from the neolithic age up to early 1900s.

gently caress. I wonder if there is a way to undo this.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Looks like the "gunsmith" shop has been removed from mapgen. Fortunately, at the moment, the gunsmith still exists as a template but it hasn't been added to the mapgen.

e:I'm talking poo poo, the actual fix is to go into data/json/mapgen/gunsmith.json

You can then change the "weight". by default (at least on my build) is 100 while regular gunshop is 1000. You can tweak these two weights to get a more favourable ratio.

Obviously this won't help until you move beyond the range of the current map and a new chunk is generated, or if you generate a new map.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 25, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Looks like the "gunsmith" shop has been removed from mapgen. Fortunately, at the moment, the gunsmith still exists as a template but it hasn't been added to the mapgen.

In case anyone wants to restore it, the mapgen file is in data/json/regional_map_settings.json. If you look down the list, you can see a list of shops it can spawn. You will want to add "gunsmith" to the list.

Questions on modding and such, do I need to do anything to the save file to pop a new mod in, or just the main data folder? If I change something map related like this file, will the new settings kick in as I explore further out?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

Questions on modding and such, do I need to do anything to the save file to pop a new mod in, or just the main data folder? If I change something map related like this file, will the new settings kick in as I explore further out?

regarding actual mods, I'm not sure - my understanding is that mods are loaded into a world at generation so if you want to add a whole new mod you would need to generate new world.

If you modify the contents of an existing mod, you *might* be able to tweak the settings and have it take effect but I don't know for sure.

On the other hand, if you modify mapgen stuff, it will take affect in your current game if you wander outside the current generated map - this will cause it to generate a new chunk using the new rules.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's a mods.json file in the save/yourworldhere folder, try editing that.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
The latest experimental release has a mod that adds in tanks. They're kind of... big. :stare:

This one had 270 rounds of .50 BMG, 200 rounds of 7.62mm, several HEAT tank rounds and three plastic jerrycans of diesel in it too. It's in decent shape too, I could get in it and drive around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gunsword?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Akoogly Eyes posted:

The latest experimental release has a mod that adds in tanks. They're kind of... big. :stare:

This one had 270 rounds of .50 BMG, 200 rounds of 7.62mm, several HEAT tank rounds and three plastic jerrycans of diesel in it too. It's in decent shape too, I could get in it and drive around.

does the tank's main gun move and fire, or is it just a decorative structure?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

quote:

Top speed: 1716 km/h

:cataclysm:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Tehan posted:

:cataclysm:

Well it only weighs 16 tons, so it really isn't a MBT by any stretch. Compared to ye olde Panzer 61 at 39T or the modern Challenger 2 weighing in at 62T it goes right along with CDDA being such a serious realism simulator for serious people who need total immersion when they roleplay as a CyborgMutantZombie.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's also worth noting that that safe speed is higher than the safe speed of some cars that spawn

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

its a tank, youre safe at any speed :v:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I tried to shoot any of the tank's guns, but I couldn't configure any of the turrets or fire them manually. The tank was in decent shape so I'm not sure what part could be missing.

I enabled the vehicle additions mod, which maybe makes the turrets invalid since they aren't in a turret housing or whatever? but then I thought the pack was required for the tank. There is ammo left in the tank.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's a difference between 'turrets' and 'mounted guns'. Turrets have computers and poo poo and fire automatically, mounted guns are fired manually.
To activate turrets use the vehicle controls.
To fire a mounted gun stand on its tile with empty hands and hit 'f', you'll automatically fire the gun instead.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012
I just had my first "holy poo poo" moment.

I had my dude equipped with light survivor armor, was rocking a fully modded and accurized reflex recurve bow and metal arrows and was feeling rather invincible, as everything fell before me.

And then I came across a Zombie Hulk, flanked by a few Z-9's and 2 corossive zombies. I got cocky and let him get really close to me, then started putting arrows in him and trying to kite. Key word being "trying to", as I realized he was gaining on me. Instead of doing the smart thing and either running or using my foldable basket as mobile cover, I continued the kiting tactic, right up until a giant green fist planted me in a car half a screen away.
"That's just fine", I think, reasoning out that I've gained too much distance from this for the hulk to be any threat at all. But then I try to move away from the car and the game tells me I lack the strength to remove myself from it. Apparently I got hit so hard I got embedded in the car. Still, I had 15 or so arrows and a katana as a backup, so I'm not panicking...

Until I catch sight of the corrosive zombies, who start spitting acid on me while a giant green rear end in a top hat is trying to kill me. Luckily, when the hulk finally got in melee range, his health was low enough that a katana hit finished him off, before he could punch me into another car. Then I switched back to the bow and discovered I was out of arrows. And I still couldn't free myself from the wrecked car, so I was stuck.
Now, if the AI was smart, it'd just spit acid on me until I melted. But, no doubt lured by my delicious brains (which were the whole reason I was in this situation), they came straight for me, occasionally spitting acid at me, but the survivor gear held. After both of them got close enough to get introduced to some hanzo steel, I had to remove parts of the car, so I could get some reasonably high bash damage steel bit to smash the car with, until I was finally free.

Short version - do not gently caress with hulks and don't get cocky, or you'll get punched into a car.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I did survive my first fight with a Zombie Hulk...but only just. Turns out getting punched through two cars hurts like a bitch with or without armor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I used a zombie hulk to break into a locked gun store, summon eye and police bots, who then were locked in a spammy eternal fight to the death that lasts to today.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Something nice about turrets in the middle of towns is that in addition to serving as seemingly unkillable zombie magnets, the zombies themselves tend to use up all the available ammo of the turrets.

Also, finally finished re-building my Luxury RV into a proper base. Replaced its windshields with reinforced equivalents, covered it in military composite armour, installed tons of trunks and an onboard chemistry lab, a bank of solar panels, 4 of which are reinforced and a rear camera so I can see behind me without relying on wing mirrors which snap off if you so much as breathe on them.

I realised I had at some point replaced the rear wheels with 20" armoured wheels, but the front wheels are 25" wide ones that were originally part of the RV. I'm aware that they refer to width, not diameter but if the wheels do have different diameters, its going to make it a hassle to cook stuff when pots and pans slide off the hob :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found a perfectly intact trailer. It's basically a 6x10 heavy frame filled with cargo space. If I hadnt built my vehicle already I'd just put a seat and a steering wheel and an engine in that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Where can I find a battery operated water purifier? This run I can't seem to run into one and constant scavenging for drink is getting old.