Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
single player FPS?! haha XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nasgate posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383750/

Sooo uhhh, blacksploitation lovely platformer developed by a bunch of white dudes. Released in 2015.
And not a single review mentions how its whole aesthetic is deplorable and awful. Just that the platforming is bad.

Honestly the aesthetic reminds me more of 1970s afrofuturism than blaxploitation, just from the basic premise it looks like a George Clinton or Sun Ra riff more than anything else.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk35e-zkR7M

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SquadronROE posted:

Cool thanks. Do I need the XL or is the original decent? I haven't held one in years.

Yes. I couldn't believe how tiny the standard 3ds is when I first saw it (but then I have giant gorilla hands). There's no reason to not get an XL.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Halo is garbage trash. Two weapons, slow as poo poo movement and floaty jumps are the worst and gently caress halo for making it standard.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Halo is great if you've never played a PC FPS before in your life.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Afrofuturism is just an afro with gray hair.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I had a lot of fun with Halo 3 multiplayer but 90% of that was because me and my buddy were straight ballers when running a Warthog together.

Talking sick nasty KD ratios here.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Oh gently caress I am almost done with persona 4 golden, only 2 months left~

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DOOM is BACK and its faster than ever *game is as slow as halo, 2 weapon loadouts*

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh gently caress I am almost done with persona 4 golden, only 2 months left~

Drag it out for a while Persona 5 doesn't come out until the end of the year

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Drag it out for a while Persona 5 doesn't come out until the end of the year

I still have to beat Ultimax entirely because there's Persona 5 references in that. And also Dancing All Night is coming out.

Persona 3,4, and 5 all are linked

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

Half-Life 2 has a pretty memorable story, and I played the game, so yeah

What I didn't like about HL2 is that it's like a full third driving around in either the airboat or buggy, the least fun type of gameplay in the whole thing.

The unending buggy section made me straight up give up on the game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hey crowfeathers, what game is that Mike Dies video from? That was truly a thing of beauty

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Colonel posted:

sound design
the loving revolver is an unmodified stock sound wtf is wrong with you

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ekster posted:

Halo is great if you've never played a PC FPS before in your life.

Halo is great just for making a designated button for melee and grenades the standard.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Mr E posted:

Doom is just a worse better Halo that came out like 8 years earlier, what the gently caress

Fixed that so you wouldn't have to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Hey crowfeathers, what game is that Mike Dies video from? That was truly a thing of beauty

exodus from the earth, which you can buy on steam if you so desire (shockingly, it is not very good)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

VideoGames posted:

Halo is garbage trash. Two weapons, slow as poo poo movement and floaty jumps are the worst and gently caress halo for making it standard.

I don't think I've ever seen you saying bad things about a videogame before, videogames.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I really don't understand "slow movement" as a complaint about the original halo (2 and beyond yes)
It had big levels that weren't composed of tiny corridors so yeah it might feel slower than other games of its time, but it was still pretty quick.
Caveat here: old school fps like duke, ut, and quake are of course faster, but things were already slowing down before halo.

Also floaty jumps were not made standard, which sucks because super Mario jumping over dudes and close range no scoping from above never got old.

As for the two weapons, I'd say anything beyond 4 is not only a waste, but with weapon specific ammo it becomes awful.
"Sure hope you don't like using the most fun weapon in the game, because there's no ammo for it in this stage, just ammo for the other 8 weapons that are all poo poo"
This is a problem I had with Wolf:TNO in the beginning. No pistol ammo even though it's the best drat weapon.

I will say gently caress you to halo and other modern fps games for making GBS threads on shotguns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
make ammo universal

boom

problem solvers

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
B-b-but my immersion!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nasgate posted:

I really don't understand "slow movement" as a complaint about the original halo (2 and beyond yes)
It had big levels that weren't composed of tiny corridors so yeah it might feel slower than other games of its time, but it was still pretty quick.
Caveat here: old school fps like duke, ut, and quake are of course faster, but things were already slowing down before halo.

Also floaty jumps were not made standard, which sucks because super Mario jumping over dudes and close range no scoping from above never got old.

As for the two weapons, I'd say anything beyond 4 is not only a waste, but with weapon specific ammo it becomes awful.
"Sure hope you don't like using the most fun weapon in the game, because there's no ammo for it in this stage, just ammo for the other 8 weapons that are all poo poo"
This is a problem I had with Wolf:TNO in the beginning. No pistol ammo even though it's the best drat weapon.

I will say gently caress you to halo and other modern fps games for making GBS threads on shotguns.

Wtf are you talking about, that problem is even more pronounced when you are limited to less weapons. "Do I keep this Rocket launcher with only 2 shots left or pick up this sweet rear end anime sword that only lets me cut a dozen times?"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
One of those weapons is boring and lovely outside of fringe cases, the other is rad even when useless.

So I don't really see your point?

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Nasgate posted:

Limiting your ammo for the best weapons in the game is an element of balance, not a flaw in game design.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Looks like Xenoblade Chronicles X might wind up being rare once it hits America.

Many stores around my area are already reducing their Wii-U areas to a size that's smaller than the Vita. The Majority of the stock seems to be amiibos and just a small little single shelf of games.

Stick a fork in it, this bitch is done

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You walk faster in original doom than you sprint in most modern games today

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You aren't going to use anything other than the super shotgun and the rocket launcher anyway, nobody is, so why even complain about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if the NX won't play wii u games then loving smdh @ nintenfail

and i guess that means i'll have to buy TWO nintendo consoles next year :mad:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

precision posted:

if the NX won't play wii u games then loving smdh @ nintenfail

and i guess that means i'll have to buy TWO nintendo consoles next year :mad:

it probably won't because that would mean it would be the 4th console with the gamecube hardware.

it's more than likely going to be a clean break.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

You aren't going to use anything other than the super shotgun and the rocket launcher anyway, nobody is, so why even complain about it
If your method for convincing people to accept the weapon limit is to say the game is going to have poo poo balance anyways, I don't know how well that's going to work.

Nilisco
Sep 11, 2001
What's a good team based game (preferably FPS) these days? I really liked stuff like TFC, NS1, UT 99 etc. NS2 is dead / filled with guys with 200K hours, TF2 was fun for a while but I got tired of the gameplay and all the dumb store poo poo they added, never liked Counterstrike, the new tribes loving sucked, no one recommends Planetside 2, Call of Duty is horrible, BFwhatever got a little too EA for me, been boycotting Dota2 for years until they add concede, Evolve was fun for the free preview, etc.

Any suggestions? I think I just listed everything decent. What's a game for someone salty who likes lovely old games with high skill ceilings dominated by 49 year old single network admins?

Hope overwatch is fun.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q72SToWCw-A

Blister posted:

Is The Know a video version of kotaku? Their videos seem worried about cars being hacked!!!!, pc gaming killing games!?!?, and is reddit doomed?!?!

clickbait garbage
Like are you new to this thing called Youtube? Most of youtube is way more clickbaity than this.

If you're wondering who they are, they're not Kotaku, they're rooster teeth. The guys (now a mini media empire) who made Red vs Blue and worked Monty Oum to death making 3D CG anime.

If you're wondering why their video carries any more weight than any one of a million people opining on Half Life 3 on youtube, well, they did leak news of Dark Souls 3 before anyone else. So they have a thing with threes.

So there you go.

bloodychill posted:

The ME3 logic is flawed. I get that Valve might think it but there are other big games with heavy expectations that have come out and not earned the amount of vitriol that ME3 did. It wasn't a vocal minority like with Bioshock Infinite or DA:I. The ending was universally panned. And that poo poo was paired with Sim City, another extremely hyped-up universally panned game. EA earned their scorn from that couple of years.
I agree in that Valve gets way more ire and toxic poo poo spewed their way via the cesspit that is the Dota 2 community every time they do or don't do something. But maybe they're uniquely wary of the reaction $60 boxed product trilogy finishing games can generate? Who knows.

Sleeveless posted:

If you've listened to any interview with Gabe Newell from the past five years he's super into the idea of Steam becoming a platform for generating content as well as selling it, actually making games has taken a backseat to fetishising the "maker" community and adding a bunch of skinner box stuff like trading cards and hats while proselytizing the usual futurist bullshit about how all our problems will be solved by the free market because something something people working in their garages.
Neoliberalism.txt

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Taint Reaper posted:

it probably won't because that would mean it would be the 4th console with the gamecube hardware.

it's more than likely going to be a clean break.

i miss backwards compatibility

alternately: i wish PSNow was cheaper and also had a few more games

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vince DiCola did the music for a bunch of actual 80s Saturday morning cartoons as well as Saturday Morning RPG, he seems like a pretty cool guy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

one would think that gamecube innards would be very cheap to include in future nintendo products since they've been in production for a zillion years

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

the half-life games were important because of the mod communities that sprang up around them, not so much because of the games themselves, although they're both very good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ravenholm? raven something was a suburb level. the physics puzzle punctuated driving was boring even then but it was the new thing so it was ok but i wouldn't want to do it again.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

actually ravenholm was bad and the driving bits were the best part of the game. the worst part was like the prison thing towards the end, just grey concrete hallways everywhere. i think HL1 was a better game in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
NOBODY EVER GOES TO RAVENHOLM

on other news, that quiz show minigame in p4g is hilarious

• Locked thread