Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just bought Convoy and then beat it on Normal on my first try :stare:

A lot of that was thanks to somehow recruiting a magical hippy van and converting it into a rolling nightmare made of saws with an AID unit. That god drat Mystery Mauler was single-handedly responsible for destroying two of the boss' guards and three-quarters of the boss itself, including finishing it off with an incredible suicide ram to the cockpit that killed them both in a spectacular explosion. I picture this grubby stoner screaming :black101: WITNESS ME, DUDES :black101: and ramping off a rock to smash into the enemy pilot in a glorious fireball.

He will ride eternal, shiny and chrome rainbow. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CoQ FR:
replace the grenade launcher with

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

dis astranagant posted:

The real accepted newbie class is carapace+freezing hands+night vision with basically anything else. Cryokinesis can almost replace freezing hands but the cooldown is way too long unless you have ludicrous will. maxed carapace is the best armor in the game and carapace 2 is as good as anything you're likely to find for a long time. Cold damage on demand is an absurdly good panic button that lets you swing way above your weight very quickly.

Praetorian is mostly recommended because they have good survivability out of the box (for a true kin) and the best starting ranged weapon. You can turn him into a Syzygyrior by level 10 if that floats your boat.

Espers (please don't actually take the esper morphotype unless you know what you're missing out on) get really stupid strong if you're careful early on and splat quickly if you aren't. The ego bonus to mental levels lets them have a ton of buttons to push for every occasion, which is just fun.

My problems with espers/praetorians is more because of my playstyle than anything else. Muties require a greater focus on using active abilities, which I always forget in favor of bumping monsters to death, and that's where the syzygyrior shines IMO. The free dual-wield skills are ded killy, and for someone who isn't afraid to grind snapjaws for a while, are worth more than the praet's starting equipment.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
How far down do the Grit Gate lower levels go?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

inscrutable horse posted:

My problems with espers/praetorians is more because of my playstyle than anything else. Muties require a greater focus on using active abilities, which I always forget in favor of bumping monsters to death, and that's where the syzygyrior shines IMO. The free dual-wield skills are ded killy, and for someone who isn't afraid to grind snapjaws for a while, are worth more than the praet's starting equipment.

I've got the same issue playing mutants. Always forget about my active abilities until it's too late, because bumping is just instinct at this point. At least if you're a Praetorian you can yell at robots to gently caress off.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I don't find it much harder than playing a mage in crawl or something else. I find Syzygs to be a bit harder since they can't dual wield effectively until they get a headlight or a floating glowsphere

amuayse fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 26, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

For anyone who is interested in a classic XCOM/Jagged Alliance style roguelike-ish game, Enemy has a demo available to try out now. Give it a shot if you have the time to spare!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deep in the foul depths of rancid Golgotha, I encounter a vile mutant Slug, oozing corruption and filth

... nearby tribes are mad at him for cheating at cards.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey unormal ive never seen the memory warning even though ive got to 1.5gb. Does it pop up or is in the event log.

I had a really good run last night but ive been paranoid and restarting the game every half hour or so and im up to the rusted archway with no crashes. Are the memory problems to do with 32bit OS (Which is what I have)?

edit: Just picked the game up again and crashed spamming attacks on a fulcrete wall. ;_;

Isaac fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 26, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

Hey unormal ive never seen the memory warning even though ive got to 1.5gb. Does it pop up or is in the event log.

I had a really good run last night but ive been paranoid and restarting the game every half hour or so and im up to the rusted archway with no crashes. Are the memory problems to do with 32bit OS (Which is what I have)?

He bumped it up to 2gb, plus it's based on some internal Unity measure that only loosely correlates with physical memory use.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Transcendence is finally up on steam. It's a space-combat roguelike that's really tough and frantic at times, with a whole bunch of trading mixed in, all wrapped around about a decade of hard work on the creator's part and a whole bunch of modding and content support.

It's real good and also 10% off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

dis astranagant posted:

Yes, because people are so interested in downloading a 6 GB rar file of largely unsorted crap to find 2 games.

Surely you can just select what you want to download since this is a torrent and not just one huge RAR fi— oh... :shepicide:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Surely you can just select what you want to download since this is a torrent and not just one huge RAR fi— oh... :shepicide:

The guy who made it happens to be in an irc channel I lurk and I set him straight last night. He's working on making a version that isn't just a hoarder taking a poo poo on the ground.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

Transcendence is finally up on steam. It's a space-combat roguelike that's really tough and frantic at times, with a whole bunch of trading mixed in, all wrapped around about a decade of hard work on the creator's part and a whole bunch of modding and content support.

It's real good and also 10% off.

...when did Transcendence become commercial? I remember playing it years ago.

It was fun for a bit, but the fact that you're stuck with the ship you started with and can never upgrade to something bigger or recruit wingmates bothered me, and I eventually got bored with it without getting anywhere close to the Core. I think my best run was six jumps.

E: the Steam version certainly looks a lot prettier than what I remember, at least

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 26, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

A ton's been added to the game since then. A whole load of new ship parts and expansions, weapons, a redone graphics system that looks incredibly pretty, a bunch of QoL stuff, two expansions, etc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

A ton's been added to the game since then. A whole load of new ship parts and expansions, weapons, a redone graphics system that looks incredibly pretty, a bunch of QoL stuff, two expansions, etc.

The Steam page mentions Eternity Port; what's the other expansion?

Also, can I board enemy ships and take them for my own yet? :yarr: If not in the stock game, in a mod -- it looks like the game has a pretty extensive modding scene, but (a) most of the mods are from 2013-2014 and I have no idea if they work in the Steam version, and (b) I'm not sure what to search for.

E: did some chatting on IRC, they're super friendly there.

Takeaways:
- The core storyline is still free. The Steam version consists of that + the two paid expansions (Corporate Command and Eternity Port).
- The mod I want is Playership Drones, but it was broken by 1.6 and hasn't been updated yet.
- There's no Linux or OSX version, but it's reported to work great under Wine.
- Some people have reported issues on high DPI displays, but not everyone. Only way to be sure is try it and see. Developer is working on more reliable hDPI support.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 26, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Cogmind bug, Alpha 2b: ramming certain enemies (pests for sure) is reliably causing crashes for me.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Transcendence is absolutely fantastic and well worth checking out at least the free version of----much as with Caves of Qud, the momentum to seems to have finally synced up with the circumstances so as to allow for great progress to happen after all these years.

There's very little like it out there as it handles differently compared to Naev/Escape Velocity/etc---only I guess something like Lost in Flatspace IIk, which hopefully also somehow makes it to Steam so folks can hopefully spur it or a sequel onwards as well.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is there supposed to be a Templar camp in the Cloaca? poo poo's weird.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

More Qud quirkiness; All robots seem to be vulnerable to paralyzing venom (I've paralyzed drillbots, scrap shovellers, and a rifle turret)

In addition every non-hostile legendary creature I find seems really willing to sell me the unique body parts they get from having mutations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Also Shade Oil Injector should be renamed Hilarious Suicide Injector.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Happylisk posted:

Cogmind bug, Alpha 2b: ramming certain enemies (pests for sure) is reliably causing crashes for me.
Thanks for reporting! There have been a lot of Alpha 2b runs but apparently no one else is out ramming Swarmers. Doesn't seem to happen with others, but I just repeated it and will investigate. Hotfix will be released as soon as I find it and can package everything up.

e: Caused by the flashing warning indicator--if you ram and immediately kill the target before the blink duration has ended, game crashes. Will get this fixed ASAP.

e2: Alpha 2c is live!

Kyzrati fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 26, 2015

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

Thanks for reporting! There have been a lot of Alpha 2b runs but apparently no one else is out ramming Swarmers. Doesn't seem to happen with others, but I just repeated it and will investigate. Hotfix will be released as soon as I find it and can package everything up.

e: Caused by the flashing warning indicator--if you ram and immediately kill the target before the blink duration has ended, game crashes. Will get this fixed ASAP.

e2: Alpha 2c is live!

I really like strategic ramming, especially against high evasion low integrity swarmers, so that bug quickly showed itself during my run :)

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Happylisk posted:

I really like strategic ramming, especially against high evasion low integrity swarmers, so that bug quickly showed itself during my run :)
"Strategic ramming," ha! If anyone was going to find that bug it would be you. Was very unsurprised when I saw what it was :D

Side note: We have someone who can reliably speed hack their way to end of the game pretty much every run. Of course, the same guy won his copy of Cogmind in a competition for beating previously unbeaten roguelikes...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just killed the first character I ever got to Grit Gate by traveling a tile on the world map while on fire :negative: live by the flame die by the flame I guess

What level/equipment level should you be to take on the Golgotha quest?

e: forgot to mention the game started hanging every ~10 turns toward the end there even after I quit and restarted.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 26, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
In Qud how to you regain your bearings if you get lost into an enclosed space?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, here's my terrible opinions on the True Kin castes.
Ekuemekiyye: Comes with a 10% bleeding res.
Horticulturist: Comes with skills in axes, bows/rifles, and harvesting. Is solid and doesn't haven't to worry about food that much. The +3 intelligence bonus might be good if you're planning on branching into tinker.
Priest of All Suns: Has skills in heal, blunt weapons, indimidation, and trading. The +3 Ego bonus is meh, unless you really want to go full trader mode, but that's highly dependent on RNG. Kinda bad imho.
Priest of All Moons: Pretty much like the Horticulturist but tankier and more focused on melee. Comes with a +2 toughness/+ 2willpower bonus and a decent axe. Alright, but I prefer Horticulturist or Syzgryior more.
Syzygyrior: All focus on dualwielding and spawns with good weapons along with a +3 Agility bonus which is also good for guns. Another perk is that he spawns with a Joppa recoiler so you can go grind enemies in easy areas like the canyons and go back to sell stuff to Tam. Overall the best combat class for Ekuemkiyye, but try to get a headlamp or floating glowsphere so you can fight underground or at night.

Ibul: Comes with +15 Cold Res
Artifex: Your starting equipment is (tends to be) kinda crap and you have no combat skills but you do get tinkering abilities and a +3 intelligence bonus. I want to say this class depends more on RNG than anything else since the datadisks and scrap you get could mean you'll have a laser pistol to start off with or a recipe for something lame like a shade oil injector. Grind snapjaw hunters for bow turrets.
Consul: A gimmick class that's supposedly based around using proselytize and inspiring presence to get companions to beat up your foes while you hide behind your handy force bracelet. Sadly does not work that well and tends to end up with both you and your companions dead. On the bright side, you start with +3 Ego and 128 drams of water so you could potentially get some nice stuff from Tam.
Praetorian: Starts with good armor, good weapons (steel sword and desert rifle), and good stat bonuses at +2 Strength, +1 Toughness, +1 Willpower . Their skillset revolves around sword and board fighting supported by long rifles. Very straightforward and strongest early game of all True Kin.
Eunuch: Starts off with a pistol, dagger, and the skills to use them effectively. Since you get a +2 Agility, +2 Intelligence, you could probably branch off into tinkering and still do well combat wise.

Yawningmoon: Comes with +15 Heat Res
Child of the Hearth: Has mediocre starting gear, some cudgel related combat skills, and a +3 strength bonus. The Calloused skill gives +1 to AV which is alright, but the Strapping Shoulder perk has little use unless you can find a good weapon that's not a bronze two-handed sword. So-so imho.
Child of the Deep: Now this guy has some pretty good starting gear with a Jackhammer, decent armor, a steel axe, and a headlamp. The skills are generally useful for not getting lost and general fighting endurance. The +3 toughness bonus is also very nice. Overall the best class for Yawningmoon.
Child of the Wheel: Pretty much Yawningmoon's version of the Syzgrior although without the ambidexterity, but comes with both axe and shortsword proficiencies instead. Comes with a +2 Agility, +1 Strength, +1 Ego. Play if you a worse Syzygrior that comes with heat res.
Fuming God-Child: Probably the worst of all the True Kin castes since his starting gear is crap and willpower has little use for True Kin until the late, late game. As a sidenote, the conch he starts off with can emit a blinding smoke that works occasionally.

tl;dr You should only play True Kin if you're the guy who likes playing Deus Ex with augs or Bioshock without plasmids.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

Just killed the first character I ever got to Grit Gate by traveling a tile on the world map while on fire :negative: live by the flame die by the flame I guess

What level/equipment level should you be to take on the Golgotha quest?

e: forgot to mention the game started hanging every ~10 turns toward the end there even after I quit and restarted.

I highly recommend a flamethrower. It's overkill but it clears huge swaths of slime every shot, thus preventing glotrot. A large pile of thermal grenades will probably do about the same thing maybe.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any reliable source of cold resist gear somewhere? I'm at Bethesda and I've got nothin

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Is there any reliable source of cold resist gear somewhere? I'm at Bethesda and I've got nothin

Not in the sense of "go here and get this item", no. Just keep an eye on the traders, I guess. Blaze injectors can also help, for limited durations of course.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

I highly recommend a flamethrower. It's overkill but it clears huge swaths of slime every shot, thus preventing glotrot. A large pile of thermal grenades will probably do about the same thing maybe.
Plain explosives seem to displace entire pools of liquid with the blasts, so taking a bunch of sower's seeds could work as well.

victrix posted:

Svenlainard in Kyakukya seems to always stock a few pieces.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

uPen posted:

In Qud how to you regain your bearings if you get lost into an enclosed space?

Help!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Hah, well, that ocassionally happens. You can bind the wish command and wish for "notlost" (without quotes) to unflag yourself as lost in exigent circumstances.

...or just recoil.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It would be nice if there was an ingame solution but that'll do I guess! Thanks.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

It would be nice if there was an ingame solution but that'll do I guess! Thanks.

You can always dig your way out.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you get "Crushed Under the Weight of a Thousand Suns"?

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

:toot:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Can't wait to get all this memory garbage dealt with so we can continue it after so many years.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

This is my second long session sitting with Qud, and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to do something relatively unspoiled and just explore.

Thoughts and questions:
- Is there a way to make the font size in the message log smaller?
- Is there a way to cycle through look targets?
- Is there a way to examine an item in your inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

bisonbison posted:

This is my second long session sitting with Qud, and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to do something relatively unspoiled and just explore.

Thoughts and questions:
- Is there a way to make the font size in the message log smaller?
- Is there a way to cycle through look targets?
- Is there a way to examine an item in your inventory?

The tiles are fixed so you can't right now.
You can use the arrow keys to snap between enemies or press u to give you free view
Select an item and press (l)ook.