Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

nickmeister posted:

What language is the American Psycho couple speaking? I'm normally pretty good at identifying foreign languages, but this one's driving me nuts.

i wasn't really paying attention to what they said this ep, but in a previous one it sounded like swedish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Crankit posted:

i wasn't really paying attention to what they said this ep, but in a previous one it sounded like swedish.

The guy who plays Wellick is Swedish, so probably.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone earlier in the thread said he was speaking Swedish and she was speaking Danish.

Which is weird, but probably well within their collective weirdness.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds? I trust the show a lot, but I have trouble imagining how anyone can pull off what they're trying here. I've read Dexter tried a Tyler Durden character and it was hated. Can television actually support that sort of structure?

I think the best possible scenario is that they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season, Christian Slater (as much as I like him) is no longer in the cast in season two, and the show is drastically different to account for that change. A worse and unfortunately more likely scenario is they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season and he turns into the invisible-to-everyone-else advisor cliche that television has so overused. And the nightmare is that we find out Mr. Robot is imaginary in season five. They can't pull off no one acknowledging him that long, they just can't.

Or the show really is a lot smarter than me and there's a solution that will surprise and satisfy everyone. I certainly hope so!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds?

What if you just watch and enjoy each episode until something happens to make you no longer wish to indulge?

The amount of people worried about the future of this show is astounding.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Feenix posted:

The amount of people worried about the future of this show is astounding.

Lost hurt me. I can't allow myself to be hurt again.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds?

Because the show calls out, right from the beginning, the possibility that Mr. Robot isn't real. Elliot says it, out loud, episode 1: "Wait, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. What if he's a delusion?" The fact that his concern ultimately falls to the wayside doesn't matter: he put it out there for the audience to remember.

Here's the thing about "Twists," and I'm speaking as a writer who is working on a story with a Twist: If you're looking to shock your audience, you're not going to put The Twist out in the open for everyone to see. This is especially true if you're looking to be perceived as the cleverest motherfucker in all the land, because the joy of The Twist for a writer is catching everyone off guard and forcing them to go back and reexamine everything that may have hinted at The Twist. "I saw that coming" is the last thing a Twist writer wants to hear.

That's why no story that emphasizes The Twist tells you The Twist in its first two acts. (Especially in the post Fight Club / Sixth Sense / Beautiful Mind era, where audiences started actively trying to stay one step ahead of their storytellers.) Once the possibility enters your mind, there's no getting it out, and you lose the element of surprise.

Sam Esmail dispensed with that element the moment Mr. Robot entered the picture. He acknowledges, through Elliot (in a way that makes perfect sense for his character), the elephant in the room, and goes forward in the story, business as usual. He drops obvious hints about Mr. Robot's Durden-esque nature in the first few episodes. But then he doubles back and offers clues that suggest he's NOT necessarily a figment of Elliot's imagination in the latest episode, almost as if he knew you'd be looking for those initial clues.

This is all a part of making the question of Mr. Robot's existence an unspoken part of the series (for now at least), as opposed to a boring old Twist that everyone knows is coming: if this was just about shock, I promise, absolutely none of this poo poo would be in play.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I dunno, if Mr. Robot isn't real, does that mean the guys in the van were just sitting there silently instead of feeding Eliot info? Seems like an awfully strange way to run an op. Is everyone except Eliot aware that Mr. Robot is one of his personalities, and did Mr. Robot tell the other hackers to chop off his balls should he catch on?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

nickmeister posted:

I dunno, if Mr. Robot isn't real, does that mean the guys in the van were just sitting there silently instead of feeding Eliot info?

A lot of Mr Robot's lines could have been Romero's instead. He was oddly quiet in that scene.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yup that's 100% it congrats you've solved the big mystery just like the showrunner intended.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

VDay posted:

Yup that's 100% it congrats you've solved the big mystery just like the showrunner intended.

What, are you talking to me? Chill out, mate, it's just an observation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was responding to the post before yours, if it makes a difference(forgot to refresh the page before posting). Either way I was just poking fun at the people who are posting about different scenes as if there are actual clues to be gleaned there, like it's something that they'll actually figure out before the show wants them to. I know it's fun to think about that stuff and I'm not an rear end in a top hat so I don't actually care what people talk about, but it just seems goofy to treat this like something that's worth trying to dissect.

Spoiler for every future episode of this show: there will be scenes that hint that Mr. Robot is real. Those scenes will also never actually prove anything because "Elliot was just imagining him doing that" will always be a counter. Because that's the entire point/premise of the character/show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wax Lion posted:

I know everyone is saying the show intends to play with the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real but what if it doesn't? That's my big worry. Like what if the creator thinks he's got this twist locked and loaded and he thinks he's going to blow our minds? I trust the show a lot, but I have trouble imagining how anyone can pull off what they're trying here. I've read Dexter tried a Tyler Durden character and it was hated. Can television actually support that sort of structure?

I think the best possible scenario is that they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season, Christian Slater (as much as I like him) is no longer in the cast in season two, and the show is drastically different to account for that change. A worse and unfortunately more likely scenario is they reveal Mr. Robot isn't real at the end of this season and he turns into the invisible-to-everyone-else advisor cliche that television has so overused. And the nightmare is that we find out Mr. Robot is imaginary in season five. They can't pull off no one acknowledging him that long, they just can't.

Or the show really is a lot smarter than me and there's a solution that will surprise and satisfy everyone. I certainly hope so!
This basically mirrors what I posted early; I have difficulty being OK with Mr. Robot being Tyler Durden because I cannot think of a way for them to do it in a satisfactory manner. If they can pull that off, more power to them. Otherwise, I think we're all finding so many parallels to other forms of media that we're latching onto the Durden issue too tightly to the point where we're basically convincing ourselves and using every small detail as a means of support. Why do the 2 guys ignore Mr. Robot? Probably because they're sick of getting into conversations with him. Have you SEEN the poo poo he does when someone gets into a conversation with him? He loving pushes you off piers and breaks your computers. The 2 guys learned to ignore him while Darlene is impudent enough to not give a poo poo. gently caress, she even tells Elliot that Mr. Robot wants to talk to him, doesn't she? Or doesn't she say that Mr. Robot told her that Elliot needed to talk to her? All that poo poo doesn't fly with a Durden'd Mr. Robot.

So yeah, this is this thread's version of "analyzing the dream sequence." We're really just re-analyzing if Mr. Robot is real. Also making fun of the guy who said he loves the show but might drop it next episode.

Also, yes, Dexter's version of it was that his opponent in one season, Tom Hanks's son, had his own ghost dad to parallel Dexter's ghost dad. It was obvious and everyone caught it early on so when it was revealed, most folks just rolled their eyes. That wasn't the biggest reason to hate the show at the time, though. By that season's airing, enough had transpired in the previous season to help plenty of folks realize that Season 4 was a fluke and we probably weren't getting anything good again from the show.

DivisionPost posted:

if this was just about shock, I promise, absolutely none of this poo poo would be in play.
Which is exactly why I'm giving this show the benefit of the doubt. That and I am very much enjoying the show right now!

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

nickmeister posted:

What language is the American Psycho couple speaking? I'm normally pretty good at identifying foreign languages, but this one's driving me nuts.

Probably because it's two languages; she's speaking Danish and he's speaking Swedish.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So, when I saw the commercials, I thought this was a cheap (or at least sleazy) attempt to cash-in on anonymous (the masks, etc). But I'm hearing some good things. Is this not the case?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

XboxPants posted:

So, when I saw the commercials, I thought this was a cheap (or at least sleazy) attempt to cash-in on anonymous (the masks, etc). But I'm hearing some good things. Is this not the case?

A lot of the advertising for the show has been really bad, but it's good. The Anonymous mask stuff has only shown up a couple times.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I feel like the, "Is he real?," angle is just to amp up our feeling of an unreliable narrator/narrative. The basis of empathy is shared experience, and this gives us the same uncertainty as Elliot and gives us suspicion commensurate to his paranoia. It helps connect us to the work.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

XboxPants posted:

Don't bother watching this show because it doesn't even matter if you enjoy it, it's only going to hurt you in the end!!

Seriously though, it's a pretty good show. Just don't read this spergrific thread.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

yeah you can maybe watch it for a bit but you may have to drop it if you can't tell if it'll end up being good 5 years from now

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The only thing that's confusing me is that if that if Angela's father has cancer and has bags and bags of past due bills, why does he look so healthy? You can't really hide the effects of treatment.

Could those bills instead be from when Angela's mother died and were just never paid off/going through collections? Didn't that happen a long time ago? If that's the case, it seemed like dad lived in a nice big house in a good area, so maybe the process is still happening or we'll find out later that the house is getting sold off or something.

Maybe I just missed something here, but I'm really enjoying the show!

Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.
Is this the first episode we've seen where Elliot and Mr Robot are not in the same physical place at once? Isn't he usually within eyeshot of Elliot whenever he makes an appearance?

Lumis fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 24, 2015

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

wukkar posted:

Legit felt sad for Bill :(.

hey they're going to call Bill a big fat fatty fa.... :stonk:

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Lumis posted:

Is this the first episode we've seen where Elliot and Mr Robot are not in the same physical place at once? Isn't he usually within eyeshot of Elliot whenever he makes an appearance?

Well, the only time they weren't physically together was when Mr. Robot was in the van. At that point they were connected by earpiece though, so he was still within earshot.
I don't think we've ever seen video presence of him from OUR perspective without Elliot around.

For example - last week we saw the two FSociety girls hanging out together alone looking for the Dark Army, and we also saw the two FSociety guys together alone setting up to steal the van. At the time I sort of felt like both of these scenes were shown purposely to show you there is a difference between the 4 of them and Mr Robot. They've never shown a similar scene of Mr Robot hanging out doing his thing while Elliot is off doing other stuff.

If that makes sense? I could be overanalyzing too, who knows. It's fun to guess at what they're trying to do.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Solkanar512 posted:

The only thing that's confusing me is that if that if Angela's father has cancer and has bags and bags of past due bills, why does he look so healthy? You can't really hide the effects of treatment.

Could those bills instead be from when Angela's mother died and were just never paid off/going through collections? Didn't that happen a long time ago? If that's the case, it seemed like dad lived in a nice big house in a good area, so maybe the process is still happening or we'll find out later that the house is getting sold off or something.

Maybe I just missed something here, but I'm really enjoying the show!

It's possible that they're her mother's old bills weighing him down with debt. Her mom did die of Lymphoma from Evil Corp's lack of safety. I'm sure it'll be made explicitly clear sooner rather than later, she's not gonna sit on whatever info she found forever without talking to someone about it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How did Mr. Robot know Elliot was just about to apologise to that guy?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Cactus posted:

Interacting with/watching Elliot enough to know some basic things about his personality. It's pretty obvious Elliot isn't a sociopath that gets off on destroying people.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cactus posted:

Because it's funny.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cactus posted:

Cause he lives in Elliot's head

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Allegedly....

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This is the problem though. They've been telegraphing BIG TWIST since day 1, meaning as has been said they can't now do said twist because everyone will be like "duh, no poo poo."

But if they don't have someone be a head-character, or some characters being the same person, or [whatever BIG TWIST variant you want to insert here], the question will then become so what's with all the fake-out telegraphing? That's just dishonest.

It's an interesting corner they've painted themselves into and I'm watching to see if or even how they manage to get around it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Cactus posted:

This is the problem though. They've been telegraphing BIG TWIST since day 1, meaning as has been said they can't now do said twist because everyone will be like "duh, no poo poo."

But if they don't have someone be a head-character, or some characters being the same person, or [whatever BIG TWIST variant you want to insert here], the question will then become so what's with all the fake-out telegraphing? That's just dishonest.

It's an interesting corner they've painted themselves into and I'm watching to see if or even how they manage to get around it.

Is it still a surprise twist if they've been telegraphing it since episode one? Can't it just be a regular wrinkle in an unreliable narrator's tale.
The implication of the head-character can still drive the thoughts and actions of Elliot regardless of whether said character exists only in his head or not? all the "fake-out telegraphing" just serves to define Elliot's view.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Then that, to me (and this is just my own personal taste) would not be enough to justify the sheer extent of the nudge-nudge wink-wink that's in there. Yes, it can inform his state of mind and unreliableness as a narrator, but it would also feel to me like a cheap and deceptive way to stir up debate (get that twitter trending) and create artificial mystery where none exists.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Even if it does go off the rails... It sure is a pretty show.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cactus posted:

Then that, to me (and this is just my own personal taste) would not be enough to justify the sheer extent of the nudge-nudge wink-wink that's in there. Yes, it can inform his state of mind and unreliableness as a narrator, but it would also feel to me like a cheap and deceptive way to stir up debate (get that twitter trending) and create artificial mystery where none exists.

I don't agree at all, to me, regardless of however the status of Slater's character turns out, the way he's presented in the show also lends to the cool, weird atmosphere & style of the show. They even had the scummy drugdealer's prison lawyer scenes done in a similar weird way and it lended to the overall vibe this show got going on that makes me like it so much.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, these are only apprehensions I have, right now I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Clearly there are intelligent minds behind this show so I remain overall optimistic. I'm hoping when all is said and done my reaction is maybe "wow, wasn't expecting that." or "hmmm, subtle ...but clever".

Fingers crossed.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

apatheticman posted:

Even if it does go off the rails... It sure is a pretty show.

This. The soundtrack is also really really good. I'm not a big soundtrack person in that I rarely notice or pay attention to them, but with this show I do. Basically I'm enjoying the show a lot and I don't give a poo poo if it goes off the rails because I've sure as hell watched worse.

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns
There are a lot of ways for this show to go with Mr. Robot without having him necessarily be entirely be a figment of our narrator's mind. My hope is that there's some kind of MKULTRA style gaslighting conspiracy with rogue agents going on. Notice the heavy hypnosis themes in the dream sequence segment, the overarching narrative in the pilot about those who play god without anyone's permission, Elliot's rattling radiator etc.
I would be pretty disappointed if it ended up being all in his head as I really believe this show could maybe do something interesting and push the envelope in a lot of ways if it doesn't follow formula. I was kind of hoping for a dead Elliot episode 2 but I guess we can't expect a show to be that shocking.
Anyways if you don't want the thread to be bad post rampant speculation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The last episode ends by zooming out to reveal Elliott staring into a snow globe.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

This. The soundtrack is also really really good. I'm not a big soundtrack person in that I rarely notice or pay attention to them, but with this show I do. Basically I'm enjoying the show a lot and I don't give a poo poo if it goes off the rails because I've sure as hell watched worse.

The soundtrack isn't original, though, is it? In the last episode at there end, the music played had to have been from an 80's movie. I think it was risky business or something else.

Yep, just confirmed it, from the risky business soundtrack

My awesome skills proven:
Tangerine dream - risky business soundtrack "love on a real train" (movie version)

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

The soundtrack isn't original, though, is it? In the last episode at there end, the music played had to have been from an 80's movie. I think it was risky business or something else.

Yep, just confirmed it, from the risky business soundtrack

My awesome skills proven:
Tangerine dream - risky business soundtrack "love on a real train" (movie version)
It seems the soundtrack is half original, half unoriginal. I'm super digging all the original compositions so far and though you can hear some of it on YouTube, I hope there's an official release at season end.

• Locked thread