Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

THE DECISION II

A three hour spectacular wherein we see Tim Tebow try to decide between a sundae and a banana split.

Don't give them anymore ideas please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tebow was actually a pretty good analyst on SECN last year. He has way more upside in that role than in actual football playing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I've listened to enough radio in my life when ESPNLA started heavily pimping a show that started before Cowherd and was on for two hours online during his show that the writing was on the wall but I actually figured they'd probably push him up to TV.

are those dudes as awful as I'm assuming they are? I want to celebrate finally being free of Cowherd in my morning commute (I usually wind up listening to sports radio because it's the only thing the dude I carpool with and I can agree on) but I fear it is not going to be much of an improvement.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

are those dudes as awful as I'm assuming they are? I want to celebrate finally being free of Cowherd in my morning commute (I usually wind up listening to sports radio because it's the only thing the dude I carpool with and I can agree on) but I fear it is not going to be much of an improvement.

I haven't given them a listen yet, they seemed fairly "default sports radio team" to me (so probably awful).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Makes sense, imo:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 3h3 hours ago
For what's it's worth: From the insiders I've spoken with over the last 24 hrs, Dan Le Batard is the clubhouse leader for Cowherd's spot.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

commy gun posted:

I'd put Whitlock as the front runner to fill the spot.

God help us all.

God I hope so. Radio is where he belongs. His podcast is by far the best thing he does. I don't think he ever had an episode I did not like. I listened to every single Fox Sports podcast he did (I think) and probably 75% of his ESPN ones, and they were all at least decent. Never once did I think "well, that was a waste of time."

I think I am always defending my man Whitlock here because I mostly go by his podcasts and tweets. If I judged him by his writing I would not be a fan.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Sash! posted:

THE DECISION II

A three hour spectacular wherein we see Tim Tebow try to decide between a sundae and a banana split.

Nah it's a Tebow-produced 30-for-30 film about abortion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vertical Lime posted:

Makes sense, imo:

Richard Deitsch ‏@richarddeitsch 3h3 hours ago
For what's it's worth: From the insiders I've spoken with over the last 24 hrs, Dan Le Batard is the clubhouse leader for Cowherd's spot.
Good, get me some more Miami sports in the drive time

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mornacale posted:

Nah it's a Tebow-produced 30-for-30 film about abortion

You think they can talk about his throwing motion for the length of an entire show?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'll be upset if they move Lebatard earlier. The format he has going now with Stu and everyone has been really good over the years. 4 hours is much better for those guys so they can go off on their weird tangents and keep things light.
If they're purely thinking in-house I think Bomani would be a better fit for a 2 hour show—although I'm sure that would piss of many of Colin's most loyal/ignorant listeners.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Thaddius the Large posted:

You think they can talk about his throwing motion for the length of an entire show?

:golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BWV posted:

I'll be upset if they move Lebatard earlier. The format he has going now with Stu and everyone has been really good over the years. 4 hours is much better for those guys so they can go off on their weird tangents and keep things light.
If they're purely thinking in-house I think Bomani would be a better fit for a 2 hour show—although I'm sure that would piss of many of Colin's most loyal/ignorant listeners.
I doubt they would change the format

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Colin Cowherd with another scorching hot take

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/colin-cowherd-needs-to-stop-talking-about-dominicans-1719751555

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Really looking forward to him falling off the face of the earth in a few months.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Actual consequences from Cowherd being a shithead: MLBPA might withhold cooperation from ESPN & Fox until the situation gets resolved somehow.

H/T Hardball Talk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/07/24/mlb-players-association-upset-colin-cowherds-comments-dominicans-espn/30605259/

quote:

It wasn’t only Dominicans who were offended by Cowherd’s implication that players from that nation are not smart. The players association has not issued a formal statement, but a person close to the union assailed Cowherd’s professionalism and termed the comments ignorant and offensive.

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the topic, also said the lack of response from ESPN - and Cowherd's future employer, Fox, has upset its members just as much as the comments, and they will consider withholding cooperation with the networks. ESPN and Fox are national rightsholders to major league games, and Fox carries its jewel events, the All-Star Game and World Series

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Actual consequences from Cowherd being a shithead: MLBPA might withhold cooperation from ESPN & Fox until the situation gets resolved somehow.

H/T Hardball Talk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/07/24/mlb-players-association-upset-colin-cowherds-comments-dominicans-espn/30605259/

I really want this to lead to ESPN firing Cowherd and Fox pulling their offer but as I don't like to set myself up for disappointment I'll assume it's not going to happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MLB itself is now pissed at Colin too

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Colin Cowherd posted:

"I could've made the point without using one country, and there's all sorts of smart people from the Dominican Republic," Cowherd said Friday during The Herd. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from countries with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used the Dominican Republic because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

"I understand that when you mention a specific country, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data. Five, seven years ago I talked about the same subject. Was I clunky? Perhaps. Did people not like my tone? I get it. Sometimes my tone stinks.

"I think when you host a radio show, just like Jon Stewart hosts a show, I think sometimes I bring up stuff ... that makes people cringe. I'm not saying there's not intelligent, educated people from the Dominican Republic. I cringe at the data too."

"It's baseball," Cowherd said Thursday. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world-class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have.

"Baseball is like any sport. It's mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and have a real baseball argument, and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There's not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole 'thinking-man's game.' Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It's not being a concert pianist. It's in the same family."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd buy this from drat near anyone else, but Colin has made an entire career of spewing dumb poo poo and just barely avoiding outright blatant "gently caress all [race]" racism.

Also now baseball is for dumb people apparently.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

"Colin Cowherd posted:

"I could've made the point without using one race, and there's all sorts of smart people who are black" Cowherd said Friday during The Herd. "I could've said a third of baseball's talent is being furnished from races with economic hardships, therefore educational hurdles. For the record, I used black people because they've furnished baseball with so many great players."

"I understand that when you mention a specific race, they get offended," Cowherd said. "I get it. I do. And for that, I feel bad. I do. But I have four reports in front of me ... where there are discussions of major deficiencies in the education sector at all levels. ... It wasn't a shot at them. It was data. Five, seven years ago I talked about the same subject. Was I clunky? Perhaps. Did people not like my tone? I get it. Sometimes my tone stinks.

"I think when you host a radio show, just like Jon Stewart hosts a show, I think sometimes I bring up stuff ... that makes people cringe. I'm not saying there's not intelligent, educated people who are black. I cringe at the data too."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The hell is he even going on about. That's the most non-apology apology I've seen

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Look, I'm sorry to offend Dominican people, what I meant to say is that all Latin Americans are stupid and their countries are bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really hope this leads to him being completely unemployed. Well, that is until Roger Ailes hires him...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welp

quote:

Mike Soltys
‏@espnmikes

Colin Cowherd’s comments over the past two days do not reflect the values of ESPN or our employees. Colin will no longer appear on ESPN.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Well, he only had one week left anyways.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'll take it, especially after you read that 'apology' or whatever it was supposed to be

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It would own really hard if fox pulled their offer too.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
He should apologize to John Wall next

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Colin Cowherd = Jon Stewart.

Glad he's off teh air but yeah, would love it if Fox pulled their offer. I actually enjoy reading the comments about this one. Further pussification of America is the refrain.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

It would own really hard if fox pulled their offer too.

This needs to happen. His apology was actually more offensive due to the complete lack of any actual remorse (as well as calling all Latin Americans stupid).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

"Listen, what I meant was, non-Americans are functionally mentally handicapped. All I said! That was all I said!"

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

soggybagel posted:

Colin Cowherd = Jon Stewart.

I don't actually understand what the equivalency is, aside from white men on television.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He just picked the first name off the top of his head

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I think he was going for the "I'm not a journalist so I play by different rules" line of defense that Stewart has used in the past. Problem is that this isn't satire.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The problem is Cowherd really really sucks and isn't remotely funny either.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Badfinger posted:

I don't actually understand what the equivalency is, aside from white men on television.

The reports are far more sensationalized than if you listen to the full episode, but its a reference to this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3174101/Daily-writer-Wyatt-Cenac-says-Jon-Stewart-told-fu-k-tried-discuss-racial-concerns-host.html

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

Well they are also both racists.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I hope the NBA Player's Association similarly gets involved to put pressure on Cowherd's next employer the next time he accuses a NBA player of being a bad leader because he grew up in a single parent household without a father.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Found a video of Colin Cowherd really going off on the city of New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

C. Everett Koop posted:

Head chef at Chili's is getting all full of himself and going to work at Applebee's.

hahaha

Ramadu posted:

Jamelle Hill is awful. I hate you for even considering this as a good idea.

I wouldn't say awful. She's just so blah. No offensive or bad but far from being memorable or good.