Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

CopperHound posted:

Did they just take the USD Price and slap a £ in front?

That's standard operating procedure for most firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Crappy how? If you mean that they use PWM backlighting, they've always been that way. There aren't very many monitors that don't use this.

There was a youtube video I came across a while back that explained the difference but annoyingly I can't find it. It may well be bullshit.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PWM free screens are becoming increasingly more common.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

SwissCM posted:

There was a youtube video I came across a while back that explained the difference but annoyingly I can't find it. It may well be bullshit.

Maybe you're talking about the mutli-input models that used a fixed backlight brightness, then crushed contrast to simulate such an adjustment? Those ones were always to be avoided for that reason alone.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Maybe you're talking about the mutli-input models that used a fixed backlight brightness, then crushed contrast to simulate such an adjustment? Those ones were always to be avoided for that reason alone.

They were two qnix dual link DVI monitors, same bezel and inputs but the newer one had cost cut internals. Who knows thought maybe I dreamed it because I can't find poo poo all about it :v:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
What is the general opinion on DELL U3014? They usually have a sale going on it, with as much as $500 off sometimes (from 1500 to 1000, aprox). I am not a fan of the 16:9 ratios and i already have a 2560x1600 monitor from monoprice, but when the dell monitor is on sale, when compared to the monoprice price + shipping and import taxes (i'm in canada), the price of the monitor from monoprice is not that much better.
I've had dell monitors in the past (usually 24'' , 1920x1200 IPS kind) and they've been fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Volguus posted:

What is the general opinion on DELL U3014? They usually have a sale going on it, with as much as $500 off sometimes (from 1500 to 1000, aprox). I am not a fan of the 16:9 ratios and i already have a 2560x1600 monitor from monoprice, but when the dell monitor is on sale, when compared to the monoprice price + shipping and import taxes (i'm in canada), the price of the monitor from monoprice is not that much better.
I've had dell monitors in the past (usually 24'' , 1920x1200 IPS kind) and they've been fine.

It depends on what you need it for, it's really meant for people doing photo, video and print work but it does have a fast response time mode for gaming that apparently works very well. There is a review here if you want to read up on it. I've got a U2415 and it's been stellar so far, very little back light bleed and no dead pixels, really good color, etc. I think I might write a review of it if anyone is interested.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

With 32" 4k monitors well under $1000, why would you pay $1000+ for a 30" 2560p monitor?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

With 32" 4k monitors well under $1000, why would you pay $1000+ for a 30" 2560p monitor?

Ignoring any differences in picture quality and Gsync and so forth, it's much harder to drive 4K at 60fps than to do so with 1440p.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sure, but videocard cycles last what, two years, versus a monitor that will last far longer. And I think most people looking at $1k monitors can afford the cards to drive them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Subjunctive posted:

Ignoring any differences in picture quality and Gsync and so forth, it's much harder to drive 4K at 60fps than to do so with 1440p.

Also 2560x1600 is completely usable without scaling, 4k is pushing it even at 32"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, but videocard cycles last what, two years, versus a monitor that will last far longer. And I think most people looking at $1k monitors can afford the cards to drive them.

Driving 1440p at ultra settings at 60fps is often beyond the ken of a single GPU. If I turn Witcher 3 all the way up, SLI 980 Ti can't reliably stay above 60 on my 1440p display.

Plus, those $1K 1440 displays tend to be higher than 60 Hz, have Gsync, and so forth. (If you want higher than 60 Hz then 4K is just a non-starter with today's connection technology anyway.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Driving 1440p at ultra settings at 60fps is often beyond the ken of a single GPU. If I turn Witcher 3 all the way up, SLI 980 Ti can't reliably stay above 60 on my 1440p display.

Plus, those $1K 1440 displays tend to be higher than 60 Hz, have Gsync, and so forth. (If you want higher than 60 Hz then 4K is just a non-starter with today's connection technology anyway.)

In this case it's because it's a monitor meant for professional print work and such, only 60Hz but it has a huge color gamut, hardware calibration and so on.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Volguus posted:

I have the U3014. It's not great for gaming, and I wouldn't get it if that's what you're after. It has heavy pixel overshoot issues that you cannot turn off: The overdrive function is always on. Mine happens to have really bad IPS glow to the point that I could/should probably exchange it, but :effort: because I don't watch movies on it, it doesn't bother me that much.

Other than that, it's a typical Dell Ultrasharp- The AG coating is way better than some of the older dell screens like the U2412, the "crystalline" effect is totally gone on the 3014. It has a boatload of inputs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Are you referring to the korean ones? Or some other kind that I'm not aware of? A 30'' monitor would be just fine for my desktop, more than that, it would kinda be too much.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mazz posted:

If you are willing, the off grade Qnix was both cheap and good for a lot of us.

Good point, the Korean IPS is what I have and it was both cheap and good. Mea culpa

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I have the U3014. It's not great for gaming, and I wouldn't get it if that's what you're after. It has heavy pixel overshoot issues that you cannot turn off: The overdrive function is always on. Mine happens to have really bad IPS glow to the point that I could/should probably exchange it, but :effort: because I don't watch movies on it, it doesn't bother me that much.

Other than that, it's a typical Dell Ultrasharp- The AG coating is way better than some of the older dell screens like the U2412, the "crystalline" effect is totally gone on the 3014. It has a boatload of inputs.

Hmm, thanks for the information.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Amazon has the Dell U2715H for $484 while NewEgg has it for $599. Seems like a large difference for the same monitor. Am I missing something?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Volguus posted:

Are you referring to the korean ones? Or some other kind that I'm not aware of? A 30'' monitor would be just fine for my desktop, more than that, it would kinda be too much.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PDPStdView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&productId=925659&storeId=10151

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There's maybe one 32"4k@60hz and it's a $1,900 Dell? Granted, that's not unreachable but drat it's a little bit.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

dkj posted:

Amazon has the Dell U2715H for $484 while NewEgg has it for $599. Seems like a large difference for the same monitor. Am I missing something?

Pricing for dell gear is always pretty turbulent. I just placed an order for the exact same monitor on the Dell Australia store. Managed to get 16% off with this code: X6NS5SWRSW$MWL putting it at almost the same price as from amazon with shipping to AUS, which is pretty good going for around here.

I could have got the Dell P2715Q (4k 27" IPS) for around the same price (!) but I was devastated when I found out my 13" rMBP would not be able to run it at 60hz. Looks like it's going to be a bit longer before I can have 4k on my desk :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

There's maybe one 32"4k@60hz and it's a $1,900 Dell? Granted, that's not unreachable but drat it's a little bit.

The BenQ BL3201PT uses the same panel and can be had for under a grand.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

Pricing for dell gear is always pretty turbulent. I just placed an order for the exact same monitor on the Dell Australia store. Managed to get 16% off with this code: X6NS5SWRSW$MWL putting it at almost the same price as from amazon with shipping to AUS, which is pretty good going for around here.

I could have got the Dell P2715Q (4k 27" IPS) for around the same price (!) but I was devastated when I found out my 13" rMBP would not be able to run it at 60hz. Looks like it's going to be a bit longer before I can have 4k on my desk :(

I couldn't find anything off or weird about the one on Amazon so I just pulled the trigger. $10 for DP cable and no tax for some reason and no shipping because of prime put it at $493 total. Happy enough with that. Not that I would know a good deal from a bad one though.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
VESA mounting question - I have a stand on an old monitor that is VESA 100, but my new monitor is VESA 75. I want to repurpose the old stand. I have seen adapters on amazon and newegg that state they convert a VESA 75 stand to a VESA 100 monitor, which is the exact opposite of my situation, but I should still be able to make that work, right? It might not be totally flush with the back of the monitor, but I don't think I really care about that. Someone tell me if I am crazy and not thinking through this correctly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

The BenQ BL3201PT uses the same panel and can be had for under a grand.

Interesting, that port placement is a little odd and I'm not necessarily fan of the physical design but that's exactly what I want to replace my 30" 2650x1600 Dell.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

thiazi posted:

VESA mounting question - I have a stand on an old monitor that is VESA 100, but my new monitor is VESA 75. I want to repurpose the old stand. I have seen adapters on amazon and newegg that state they convert a VESA 75 stand to a VESA 100 monitor, which is the exact opposite of my situation, but I should still be able to make that work, right? It might not be totally flush with the back of the monitor, but I don't think I really care about that. Someone tell me if I am crazy and not thinking through this correctly.

Get a drill

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

Get a drill

Or a Dremel, if it needs to mate into a recess on the new monitor. A lot of VESA 100 mounts have 75 holes already drilled in them--if not, make some. Problem solved.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

thiazi posted:

If the threads are provided by separate nuts rather than integrated into the 75 holes and at least one set of screws is low profile, then possibly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any kind of database on all the different Gsync models available right now? I want to try out a 1440 or 4k IPS gsync but it is hard to figure out which are in the wild versus just shown off at a trade show.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Only one thing is, when I turn the monitor off, the windows all reset into the corner in Windows. Apparently the card might have something to do with it - it's a AMD 6950, which is obviously the next thing I'll have to deal with since it has no business trying to drive anything this big.

Fix:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041580147&postcount=2528

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any kind of database on all the different Gsync models available right now? I want to try out a 1440 or 4k IPS gsync but it is hard to figure out which are in the wild versus just shown off at a trade show.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk I've found to be really spot on when it comes to reviews of monitors

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh man, I have to do that for my 1440p that disappears when it goes into standby. Thank you!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Don Lapre posted:

I have it and it worked fine. Video card saw it as half of 3440x1440 display

Can you change one side of the screen to 2560x1440 and the other to 880x1440 or does it just do 1720x1440 picture by picture.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KingEup posted:

Can you change one side of the screen to 2560x1440 and the other to 880x1440 or does it just do 1720x1440 picture by picture.

It just does side by side and then regular pip

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think there's a 4k-Gsync/Freesync yet :smith:

Curious, are you able to do multiple displays with Gsync/Freesync?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I'm building a system that will have a gtx 980ti, i7-4790k, and 16gigs of ram for general graphics work, 3d modeling, and gaming. I'm considering 4k but am unsure if it's wiser to do ultrawide or 1440p instead. Price is mostly a non issue but under 1k usd is preferred. IPS and high sRGB are a must.

My first choice is the ASUS pb279q but I would rather have an optimal fit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tab8715 posted:

Acer has one at least, XB280HK.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Does anyone know if there are any 4k monitors that use nearest neighbour scaling when handling 1080 inputs?

I just want to play some WiiU without lovely bilinear/cubic upscaling.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 27, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Acer has one at least, XB280HK.

Well, that correct... But it's a 28" TN Panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, are you able to do multiple displays with Gsync/Freesync?

They exist, but yea, TN, don't bother with them yet. Multiple monitors works fine with Gsync. (I have the Acer xb270hu, a dell 3014, and an HDTV on the other side of the room plugged in to my desktop).