Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Telstra are giving away a 12 month AFL Live Pass for Telstra mobile members

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/204401

There's also a NRL one for those who like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Periphery posted:

I kinda like the talk about giving teams bonus points or something if they score over 100 points. I don't know how well it'd work though but I think I prefer it to more idiotic rule changes though.

I really hope they just fix the umpiring. Bring in 1 more ump on the field and make them all full time professionals. Enforce quick holding the ball and ball up calls. Stop this amateur hour bullshit where the rules seem to change every week.
Four umpires who might have four different interpretations of a particular rule? Yeah, that'll work out well.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

Four umpires who might have four different interpretations of a particular rule? Yeah, that'll work out well.

If they are trained correctly they wont have 4 different interpretations and it'll help spread the workload a bit and hopefully mitigate some fatigue. They had 4 during the preseason games and it didn't cause any issues.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

You Am I posted:

Cheers

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hiddenmovement posted:

There's a dude on The Roar, one of the few actual good columnists who should be hired by someone, name Ryan Buckland. He proposed a similar thing recently, his argument being that as an economist, he always felt that you should be able to incentivise people into behaing the way you want them to. The trouble with bonus points for over 100 is that you are incentivized both ways - you are encouraged to score and you are just as encouraged to prevent the opposition from scoring. It wont help anything. 'poo poo, they're on 99! Quick, flood the backline and put numbers around the ball!'

3 players in the forward 50, every stoppage, same as the center square at bounces. Wont hurt anyone.

At least the lovely style of play wouldn't kick in until late in the 3rd or sometime in the 4th (unless Carlton are playing), and by then the players will be tired and the game will have opened up anyway. I actually really like the idea, it frees up sides to adopt whatever structure they think is best but still essentially penalises any team that is too defensive. I worry that more on field rule changes will just make the game unwatchable as umpires have more rules to remember and adjudicate on. Free kicks are controversial and piss people off, the less they need to be given the better.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

You Am I posted:

I switched to Telstra recently because Optus was being poo poo and snagged one of these. It was nice yesterday checking the score of the Richmond-Freo game, seeing that it was close, then tuning in to the last couple of minutes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Less rotations, professional full-time umpires, 1 man in your forward 50 at each stoppage.

Just having 1 man is enough, because if you have a decent stay at home forward the opposition coach won't want a 1on1 in an open fifty, so it will naturally attract more players down there.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

A million thanks for sharing this.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

maybe hes setting himself up for a job commentating cricket for channel 9

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dog v Pies looks like it could be a pretty good game if they keep this up.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I don't get ruck infringement frees and I don't think that the umpires get it either.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Is a good match to listen to and the crowd is loud as hell.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It's already 5-1 Collingwoods way frees wise.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Testekill posted:

It's already 5-1 Collingwoods way frees wise.

Couple of very dodgy ones went our way in the minute before that last goal. The non-holding the ball against Williams and Varcoe pretty clearly infringed after the kick in.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

It's going to be windy and rainy for the Saints v Dee game at the G today. I hope you are all ready for a display of skill unlike any we have seen before!

This gave me a chuckle, I've seen them in the wet before, at least the call will be entertaining.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

tnimark posted:

Couple of very dodgy ones went our way in the minute before that last goal. The non-holding the ball against Williams and Varcoe pretty clearly infringed after the kick in.

Yeah, Williams dropped it dead entirely and got let off.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

What are they doing with the ruck infringements this round? I don't get it at all.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Now this is good footy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
There's no way the dogs can keep this running up for the whole game.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

We've taken as many marks inside 50 as Collingwood have taken normal marks.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Just signed up for the 2 week free trial for the telstra streaming thingo coz I'm soft and scared of hail - anyways this is the first Telstra thing I've actually been impressed with. I hope someone ups the ante with the new rights deal.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I just love the swagger that Stringer plays with.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
WHY ARE YOU REVIEWING THIS YOU MORONS

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Thank you this is good

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Are we seriously advocating for extra points for scoring over a hundred in this thread? This isn't loving Twenty 20 cricket.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
double goal if you hit both posts with the one kick

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

bring supergoals into the regular season

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Multiball!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

One of the umpires actually said that our defense being taken high is our own fault because we went in too small.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Got a free ticket to today's game. Surprised Eagles are favourites by that much. Do swans have some big outs?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Weren't Collingwood 8-3 last year before turning to poo poo?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Got a free ticket to today's game. Surprised Eagles are favourites by that much. Do swans have some big outs?

Despite being a game clear in the top four, Swans haven't been particularly amazing this year.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Bulldogs and Collingwood are lobbying to have an annual round one clash. Would probably beat us playing West Coast first up again.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

Weren't Collingwood 8-3 last year before turning to poo poo?

yeah but that was because everyone went down with injury. this time has been them hitting a hard part of the draw and getting a bunch of close losses despite good form

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Geez, you'd almost think the game at the G' was being played in QLD. That sun!

edit: loving hell, St. Kilda

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 26, 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm kinda glad Collingwood is going to lose me the whopper before Melbourne gets the opportunity.

This Collingwood - Footscray game is a good contest.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well this is comical.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, even the umpires are having a go!

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Schlesische posted:

I'm kinda glad Collingwood is going to lose me the whopper before Melbourne gets the opportunity.

This Collingwood - Footscray game is a good contest.

It's a bit weird when I see an open, running game these days. There have actually been quite a few the last couple of weeks and it's why I've gotten right on the zones bandwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Darcy Moore's 5 goals have taken a lot of the sting out of this loss to be honest. I'm just excited about him. When Cloke comes back, send White to the VFL.

• Locked thread