Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

Did he actually say that somewhere?

much like jazz music it's in the words he doesn't write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

The whole "fake Arya' thing happened quite a lot throughout pre-modern times

Yeah, no kidding. False heirs like (probably) Aegon were also quite common. I remember a couple examples of these shenanigans from Herodotus's Histories. The most famous is probably the story of the mad emperor Cambyses who, being mad and all, secretly had his brother Smerdis murdered. He then went on to conquer Egypt where he made a real mess of things and angered the gods (again, mad). So there Cambyses is marching his merry way back to Persia, probably singing a song about how great it is to murder your siblings when who should he meet but his brother Smerdis at the head of a huge army. Of course, it's not really his brother, it's really one of the Magji who just happens to look just like Smerdis, but no one has seen the real Smerdis in years and the likeness is good enough that even people who knew him before are fooled. Cambyses knows "Smerdis" is a fake, but he can't prove it without admitting that he murdered his own brother for no good reason. Naturally, he tries anyway and comes across as a gibbering madman and more of his followers begin drifting toward Smerdis' camp. At this point, Cambyses either kills himself, dies in an accident, or gets assassinated (lol, history) and "Smerdis" takes the throne and rules as emperor for a few months until Darius, Cambyses' spear carrier, exposes his charade and seizes the throne for himself.

Of course, some modern historians suspect that there never was a false Smerdis and Darius actually killed the real Smerdis (and possibly Cambyses as well) and simply spread lies about them after the fact to justify taking the throne. Which, come to think of it, is a lot like how the Freys keep going around saying Robb turned into a wolf and attacked them and everyone pretends to believe them.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/sharknado-grrm-cameo-124773722640.html

So this happened

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I don't think most of the northern lords know about the Jeyne/Arya switch. Lady Dustin almost certainly does, but that may be it at the actual wedding.

Northerners not at the wedding definitely thought it was Arya getting married. If not for "Ned's little girl" I don't think the Liddles and other mountain clans would have joined Stannis.

It's a tricky situation to peel apart because, like you said, northern lords who suspect Bolton is up to no good would be pressured to go along with the ruse anyway. I just don't think there's enough textual evidence to suggest that the lords were skeptical. Most of them had not known Arya too well and a lot of them would probably take it at face value that "Arya" was finally returned to the North from King's Landing.

This is supported by Roose telling Ramsay to take it easy with torturing Jeyne. If everybody knew that Arya was fake, why would they care about hearing her sobbing every night and seeing fresh bruises on her the next day? Apart from it being horrible, I mean.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, no kidding. False heirs like (probably) Aegon were also quite common. I remember a couple examples of these shenanigans from Herodotus's Histories. The most famous is probably the story of the mad emperor Cambyses who, being mad and all, secretly had his brother Smerdis murdered. He then went on to conquer Egypt where he made a real mess of things and angered the gods (again, mad). So there Cambyses is marching his merry way back to Persia, probably singing a song about how great it is to murder your siblings when who should he meet but his brother Smerdis at the head of a huge army. Of course, it's not really his brother, it's really one of the Magji who just happens to look just like Smerdis, but no one has seen the real Smerdis in years and the likeness is good enough that even people who knew him before are fooled. Cambyses knows "Smerdis" is a fake, but he can't prove it without admitting that he murdered his own brother for no good reason. Naturally, he tries anyway and comes across as a gibbering madman and more of his followers begin drifting toward Smerdis' camp. At this point, Cambyses either kills himself, dies in an accident, or gets assassinated (lol, history) and "Smerdis" takes the throne and rules as emperor for a few months until Darius, Cambyses' spear carrier, exposes his charade and seizes the throne for himself.

Of course, some modern historians suspect that there never was a false Smerdis and Darius actually killed the real Smerdis (and possibly Cambyses as well) and simply spread lies about them after the fact to justify taking the throne. Which, come to think of it, is a lot like how the Freys keep going around saying Robb turned into a wolf and attacked them and everyone pretends to believe them.

Thank you for sharing this, because it owns. History!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Haha, what the gently caress.

We need a bigger boat.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Is he throat loving that shark?

Capopio
Feb 17, 2011

syscall girl posted:

much like jazz music it's in the words he doesn't write

:master:

Really, this is a thing of beauty. Please guys, if there is still a bit of love left in your withered hearts even after all these years of abuse by the Absolute Fucker, give it to this post.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Capopio posted:

:master:

Really, this is a thing of beauty. Please guys, if there is still a bit of love left in your withered hearts even after all these years of abuse by the Absolute Fucker, give it to this post.

If we didn't just get a title change I would have loved this to be it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The shark in that wedding has three heads.

It works on so many levels.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

or at very least two levels.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm in SoS to the part where Dany is about to get her unsullied. She thinks about when Jorah kissed her and admits she's been getting horny lately. She has dreams but not of him "...was always younger and more comely, though his face remained a shifting shadow."

loving preston jacobs has infested my brain. Someone is using the moon to send her dreams to make her horny for young men. It's clearly Euron Crow's eye, sewing the seeds for his false flag opreation where he pretends to be a mercenary captain of repute Daario Naharis. It all fits if you ignore the all the parts that require people to control the weather to make any sense.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I'm in SoS to the part where Dany is about to get her unsullied. She thinks about when Jorah kissed her and admits she's been getting horny lately. She has dreams but not of him "...was always younger and more comely, though his face remained a shifting shadow."

loving preston jacobs has infested my brain. Someone is using the moon to send her dreams to make her horny for young men. It's clearly Euron Crow's eye, sewing the seeds for his false flag opreation where he pretends to be a mercenary captain of repute Daario Naharis. It all fits if you ignore the all the parts that require people to control the weather to make any sense.

Gods drat

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Euron isn't even young though. Also Daario has two eyes. You'll need to find way more abstrusely worded passages for me to buy that one.

Also I'm pretty sure that quote means Dani is going to bone a faceless man (!).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That's nonsense. Everyone knows Daario is actually Theon's penis.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Assuming that the euron = daario theory doesn't posit euron being able to teleport across great distances at will, doesn't the timeline require for the entirety of Dany's ADWD plot to occur something like a full year before the kingsmoot?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Assuming that the euron = daario theory doesn't posit euron being able to teleport across great distances at will, doesn't the timeline require for the entirety of Dany's ADWD plot to occur something like a full year before the kingsmoot?

Who can keep track of the fucker's timelines.

When the sun sets in the East sounds like he could have been the westeros Columbus?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

sounds like someone didn't watch all 8 parts of the iron islands series

he leaves meereen for several chapters to "treat with the lamb men" or something, obviously he's euron and gerion lannister is the shrouded lord but who is the corsair king???

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just got to the corsair king. It wasn't "The Corsair King." He said "some corsair king wanted to buy a hundo eunuch warriors". Like a lot of pirates call themselves kings. I don't think it's an official title.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I included a new novel specially recommended by GURM in this month's BotM poll, just for you people. He even wrote about it on his blog!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I included a new novel specially recommended by GURM in this month's BotM poll, just for you people. He even wrote about it on his blog!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

Have you thought about including one of GRRMs other series? Might I suggest Wildcards?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In storm of swords, I got up to the part where lemoncloak climbs this hill where all the wierwood stumps are and gets a GPS update on where beric is from the old dwarf woman. She wants, as payment, a song and nothing more. Why did I remember this exchange going more like she demands some wine and a smooch from the young man and he has to kiss the ancient dwarf to get his answers? That didn't happen. What am I thinking of?

They don't come back to the dwarf woman do they? I read through it twice looking for the smooch but I only read when I'm falling asleep lately so I'm still not convinced I didn't miss it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

The greenseer in that book is one of the more mysterious characters we've seen. Maybe she's one of the Children of the Forest. Maybe she's Jenny of Old Stones. Who knows?

She predicted Renly and Joffrey's deaths as well as the Red Wedding and Catelyn's resurrection and another vision suggests that Euron Greyjoy hired a Faceless Man to kill Balon (though that hasn't quite been confirmed).

I think the only vision of hers that hasn't come true is the one about a maid " slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow." From context, we know the maid is Sansa, and the snow castle is probably Winterfell, but the giant slaying is a little more mysterious. Maybe she's going to kill an Umber?

Also, I'm not sue who you're thinking of, but it's familiar.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Someone tried to attribute the "savage giant" being Sweetrobin and the castle being Sansa's snowcastle, but that's stupid and just the Gurm's ~red herring.~

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Clearly what it actually means is that in the books Shireen will die in a tragic duel to the death against Wun Wun at Castle Black during which she will land the killing blow just before getting crushed by the falling giant.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

In storm of swords, I got up to the part where lemoncloak climbs this hill where all the wierwood stumps are and gets a GPS update on where beric is from the old dwarf woman. She wants, as payment, a song and nothing more. Why did I remember this exchange going more like she demands some wine and a smooch from the young man and he has to kiss the ancient dwarf to get his answers? That didn't happen. What am I thinking of?

They don't come back to the dwarf woman do they? I read through it twice looking for the smooch but I only read when I'm falling asleep lately so I'm still not convinced I didn't miss it.

It's her "Jenny's song", it's what she always asks him to play, She used to hang out with Jenny of Oldstones who was married to some Targaryen prince. The ghost of high heart, who is a child of the forest, came with 'her jenny' to court once and told Egg that Mad King Aerys must wed Rhaella cause the prince that was promised will be born of their line.

And yeah, no smooch.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

The way I remember it she first demands a smooch and some wine and when everybody goes "Ugh gross, lady" she shrugs and says she'll just take the song then.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malpais Legate posted:

Someone tried to attribute the "savage giant" being Sweetrobin and the castle being Sansa's snowcastle, but that's stupid and just the Gurm's ~red herring.~

Doesn't she make a giant head and mount it on the snow castle or something?

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

kcroy posted:

Have you thought about including one of GRRMs other series? Might I suggest Wildcards?

You might, if you were very, very cruel :ohdear:

Interesting note for anybody who might not know, the Dinosaur Lords author is also one of the main authors of Wild Cards. He wrote the hippy who takes drugs to awaken his various superpowered personas and the killer hunchback with the vibrating hands.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Malpais Legate posted:

It's pretty clearly that you drat rube.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Malpais Legate posted:

Another theory I've seen speculates that it's about Sansa and Littlefinger because his old family sigil is a giant, or something. Not the Umber one.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
It's clearly Sansa who's the savage giant.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Krinkle posted:

"I cannot eat a silver stag, nor ride one. A skin of wine for my dreams, and for my news a kiss from the great oaf in the yellow cloak." The little woman cackled. "Aye, a sloppy kiss, a bit of tongue. It has been too long, too long. His mouth will taste of lemons, and mine of bones. I am too old."

"My hair comes out in handfuls and no one has kissed me in a thousand years. It is hard to be so old. Well, I will have a song then. A song from Tom o' Sevens, for my news."

There's a dumb but compelling theory that Lem is Richard Lonmouth, Rhaegar's squire.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The giant is Sweetrobin's ◇doll◇. It's litterally text.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Ague Proof posted:

"I cannot eat a silver stag, nor ride one. A skin of wine for my dreams, and for my news a kiss from the great oaf in the yellow cloak." The little woman cackled. "Aye, a sloppy kiss, a bit of tongue. It has been too long, too long. His mouth will taste of lemons, and mine of bones. I am too old."

"My hair comes out in handfuls and no one has kissed me in a thousand years. It is hard to be so old. Well, I will have a song then. A song from Tom o' Sevens, for my news."

There's a dumb but compelling theory that Lem is Richard Lonmouth, Rhaegar's squire.

Is this missing from the kindle version, did I read over it twice and miss what I was explicitly looking for twice, or do they go back and find her a second time in a later chapter?

Kindle version even has the typo in Davos's chapters where he tells stannis that people are raping his windows so I don't know why they'd cut out a whole sentence about old dwarf kissing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Kindle versions are from what I gather often times just prepared by some minimum wage worker who just copies the books into some ebook format as fast as he can, I don't think they even have people reviewing each individual book that's why they have the 'report error' feature. I even read once when I was trying to figure out why none of Roger Zelazny's books have ebook versions (his old publisher went bankrupt and the people who secured the rights want way too much money for them) that often times the ebook creator just uses text recognition software or simply finds whatever bootleg ebook version is making its way around the net and tries to fix the most glaring errors.

tl;dr: the work put into the creation of ebooks is often of a very amateurish standard.

And anyway yes, Sweetrobin and the doll are the savage giant, not everything seen in a prophecy is always of utmost importance, for instance, Jojen's prophecy about Bran and the Walder Freys being served a dish which he will find disgusting and they will find delicious which turns out to be the rather trivial news of Stevron Frey's death.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

Is this missing from the kindle version, did I read over it twice and miss what I was explicitly looking for twice, or do they go back and find her a second time in a later chapter?

Kindle version even has the typo in Davos's chapters where he tells stannis that people are raping his windows so I don't know why they'd cut out a whole sentence about old dwarf kissing.

well, this is grrm so they could very well be raping his windows

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

well, this is grrm so they could very well be raping his windows

Have you seen the window dressing, that window was asking for it.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Krinkle posted:

It's in Arya VIII. Location 9627 in my Kindle edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Nate405 posted:

It's in Arya VIII. Location 9627 in my Kindle edition.

Mine is the four books in one combo file I don't think the location will line up the same.

Goddamn I wish I knew how to use bookmarks I've had the thing for four years and I don't know how to bookmark. I'd go back eight chapters to find it but not if I lose my place.

I mean yeah I flipped the page over. I see it dog eared. But when I go to "My notes and marks" it's literally every instance that SOMEONE OTHER THAN ME highlighed foreshadowing or a cool insult enough times that kindle thought it was worth showing to me. So I have 50 pages of annotated sick burns and maybe my bookmark is in there somewhere.