Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I realize this is going to be a bit vague but I'm hoping I can get some advice:

After deciding to take a spontaneous vacation, I will be driving into Colorado tomorrow from Florida. I will be here for roughly 14 days, and my rough outline is drive into Colorado Springs and explore from there. I plan on making a big counter-clockwise circle and hit Denver, Ft. Collins, then go west to Grand Junction, Telluride and finish at Durango before leaving the state.

My question is, can someone recommend any of their favorite beginner-friendly day hikes? Being honest, I'm pretty out of shape but I want to get into hiking as a hobby and as exercise. The only hiking supplies I have for this trip are gym clothes, tennis shoes and water. If needed, I can budget to buy gear on the fly but I'd prefer shorter day-hikes to get started. My schedule is extremely flexible and I'm definitely up for driving all over the state to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can only tell you as a Floridian who moved to Colorado this year... be careful of the elevation gain. People from here will tell you its no big deal but I will tell you going from 0 feet sea level to 10,000 feet is a big deal.

Also if you don't at least drive through RMNP you are doing yourself a disservice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I lived around sea level for a dozen years and 2km up is where I start noticing a serious impact. 3,5km and up is and you'll feel like a retiree.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
My wife and I will be visiting Canyonlands in about two weeks, and I'm still trying to figure out a good 3 day itinerary. We are both pretty experienced hikers and campers with some desert backpacking experience (just did Big Bend last month, in fact) so we are aware of the need to carry in your water, how to dress for the heat, etc.

I was thinking we spend our first night car camping near Island, do some day hikes, and then set off for a two night trip in the Needles after that. Any recommendations for a good loop around 15 miles or so?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I'd love to hear about your Big Bend trip. I was there last Christmas and I had a blast. It was my first time doing some decent backcountry hiking.

In fact, I'm loving all of these trip reports :) More trip reports, everybody.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

evil_bunnY posted:

I lived around sea level for a dozen years and 2km up is where I start noticing a serious impact. 3,5km and up is and you'll feel like a retiree.

It's highly variable per person. I live at sea level too and I don't feel anything at 4km.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mikey Purp posted:

My wife and I will be visiting Canyonlands in about two weeks, and I'm still trying to figure out a good 3 day itinerary. We are both pretty experienced hikers and campers with some desert backpacking experience (just did Big Bend last month, in fact) so we are aware of the need to carry in your water, how to dress for the heat, etc.

I was thinking we spend our first night car camping near Island, do some day hikes, and then set off for a two night trip in the Needles after that. Any recommendations for a good loop around 15 miles or so?

Isn't that the absolute hottest time of year? Yikes

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Nothing utterly definitive, but it's generally shown to be potentially unsafe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET#Effects_on_health
sources, if you want them.

I'd probably still use the stuff if picardin didn't exist, to be honest.

e: to be fair, I'm coming from the place of needing to use a bug repellant 40 hours a week for about 4 months straight at a minimum. DEET as casual weekend use or whatever is probably not really a concern.

As mentioned at 40 hours a week for 4 months you probably wouldnt want to be mainlining DEET, but for weekend warriors I agree it's just fine to use. I normally use the woodsmen spray thats %30 DEET I believe.

Aside from health concerns I have heard that DEET can harm fish if you are fishing and happen to spray a bunch into a stream or something. My main concern with DEET isnt my health however. I've heard, but havent been able to find anything on the subject, that there are worries that we are slowly evolving ticks and mosquitoes to be DEET tolerant. That is with each generation the bugs that get succeed in multiplying are the ones who are more likely to be resistant to DEET as it is.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't use any bug repellent at all. I just carry a head-net for areas I know are going to be lovely. Of course, I also never wear shorts without leggings.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Today we tried to hike to the base of longs peak, past chasm lake and up to the scree field, then back to the privy to hookup with the keyhole route to the top.

It was a bust as we turned around at the keyhole - my wife was sicker than a dog and not steady on her feet, and I didn't feel like watching her pitch off the side of the mountain.

We aren't positive but it looks like altitude sickness. Weak, tired, nausea and a headache.

Still a nice hike that consumed 11 hours and covered 15 miles.

PS - f that Boulder field.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Altitude sickness is a bitch. You can be fine one trip but then the next trip, you might come down with a case and need to cut the trip short. One nice thing about it is that you feel better immediately when you get back to lower altitude.

In other news, my EE quilt arrived! :neckbeard:

edit: Starting to have buyer's regret for Copper Spur UL1. It's just so heavy compared to the other way lighter options out there that cost the same or are cheaper. Heck, I could even get something in cuben fiber if I buy used.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 24, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Tomato Soup posted:

Heck, I could even get something in cuben fiber if I buy used.
Dooo iiittt, I absolutely love mine

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Am I harming myself if I carry more weight than average? I just started hitting trails, and all the gear I have is GI surplus and hand-me-downs (I'm using an ALICE medium pack and carrying a relatively heavy rainjacket, for example), but the weight hasn't really been bothering me. Of course, I'm only doing easy and medium trails for now, but if I'm fine with the weight I'm carrying and I'm not worried about going faster or anything, do I need to slim it down?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's just going to tire you out, as long as you can still carry it comfortably.
If it's really horrendous and you can't carry it well, it could cause back problems, and it's going to exacerbate joint pain.

Tomato Soup posted:

Altitude sickness is a bitch. You can be fine one trip but then the next trip, you might come down with a case and need to cut the trip short. One nice thing about it is that you feel better immediately when you get back to lower altitude.

In other news, my EE quilt arrived! :neckbeard:

edit: Starting to have buyer's regret for Copper Spur UL1. It's just so heavy compared to the other way lighter options out there that cost the same or are cheaper. Heck, I could even get something in cuben fiber if I buy used.

I posted this a page ago or so, but I can't recommend this enough
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Am I harming myself if I carry more weight than average? I just started hitting trails, and all the gear I have is GI surplus and hand-me-downs (I'm using an ALICE medium pack and carrying a relatively heavy rainjacket, for example), but the weight hasn't really been bothering me. Of course, I'm only doing easy and medium trails for now, but if I'm fine with the weight I'm carrying and I'm not worried about going faster or anything, do I need to slim it down?

I am a gear whore so I waste cash on super fly gear for most of my hobbies. But today I saw every imaginable piece of gear on the trail. Including some Israeli kids headed up to the keyhole with expedition sized packs, yep they were sucking air but they were hiking.

Hike with what you have, what you can borrow or what you can barter for, but for gods sake hike.

Pro-tip: never tell your wife who says she isn't feeling well the summit is "only" 900 more feet.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tomato Soup posted:

My Seed House SL1 arrived today. The only strike against it is the front entrance and that's not a dealbreaker. It's plenty roomy inside and packs down very small and light. I'm hoping to get the Copper Spur UL1 this weekend so I can set them up side by side and do a rundown. By the way, if you're looking to swap out, Sierra Trading Post has the Seed House (with footprint) for $155, which is less than half price. I jumped on that earlier this week.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

No, you just won't be as fast which you can solve by being in better shape. Light gear is great but I think starting with heavy and slowly upgrading is great.

That being said my pack is down from 70 to 50, I have no idea how these guys do what they do

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I just found an used ZPacks Hexamid Solo with the bathtub floor for $355 which is the same price I paid for CS UL1 with the footprint :stare:

Highly tempted to go return the old tent to REI ASAP so I can grab that.

edit: I think I'm going to wait to see if I can get a better deal somewhere as 355 is kind of on the high end for used hexamids.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 25, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hughmoris posted:

My question is, can someone recommend any of their favorite beginner-friendly day hikes? Being honest, I'm pretty out of shape but I want to get into hiking as a hobby and as exercise. The only hiking supplies I have for this trip are gym clothes, tennis shoes and water. If needed, I can budget to buy gear on the fly but I'd prefer shorter day-hikes to get started. My schedule is extremely flexible and I'm definitely up for driving all over the state to explore.

This is from a tourist's perspective, but do yourself a favor and check out Animus Forks ghost town, which is now a state park and you can wander in the old buildings. While you're in that area, check out Silver Springs and hitch a train ride through the mountains. Hit up a mine tour afterwards.

Garden of the Gods is another place that's a must visit, with some incredible hikes out that way. Mesa Verde is another must see, it's the remnants of the Pueblo cliff dweller villages caved into the canyon. Pikes peak is also worth a drive, and really so is everything else out that way.

That's barely even scratching the surface, Colorado is probably one of my favorite places on Earth.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

I can only tell you as a Floridian who moved to Colorado this year... be careful of the elevation gain. People from here will tell you its no big deal but I will tell you going from 0 feet sea level to 10,000 feet is a big deal.

Also if you don't at least drive through RMNP you are doing yourself a disservice.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is from a tourist's perspective, but do yourself a favor and check out Animus Forks ghost town, which is now a state park and you can wander in the old buildings. While you're in that area, check out Silver Springs and hitch a train ride through the mountains. Hit up a mine tour afterwards.

Garden of the Gods is another place that's a must visit, with some incredible hikes out that way. Mesa Verde is another must see, it's the remnants of the Pueblo cliff dweller villages caved into the canyon. Pikes peak is also worth a drive, and really so is everything else out that way.

That's barely even scratching the surface, Colorado is probably one of my favorite places on Earth.

Thanks for these. I arrived in Colorado springs today and am headed to Pikes Peak tomorrow morning. I'll see where I can cross paths with RMNP and Animus.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

That being said my pack is down from 70 to 50, I have no idea how these guys do what they do

Liters? Or pounds?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hungryjack posted:

Liters? Or pounds?

Pounds. My pack is 130L iirc. It's at least 100 and expands. External frame supremacy

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Pounds. My pack is 130L iirc. It's at least 100 and expands. External frame supremacy

That's a large pack, my friend.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hungryjack posted:

That's a large pack, my friend.

The problem is I keep telling myself it's better to lose weight than downsize gear, and end up doing neither.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Looking outside REI, this seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountain...ungsten+1P+Tent

How good are Alps Mountaineering products?

Sidenote: Somebody recommended a really nice camping blanket a while back and I can't remember what kind it is. Looking for options superior to a sleeping bag. I feel like a blanket would pack up better.

A few pages back, but I got this tent about a month ago. I've used it for a few over-nighters so far in the Tetons. I am really liking it so far. It is super easy to set up. I haven't had to use it yet in the rain, but the condensation has never been too bad of a problem for me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for these. I arrived in Colorado springs today and am headed to Pikes Peak tomorrow morning. I'll see where I can cross paths with RMNP and Animus.

RMNP - hike to ouzel falls from the wild basin trailhead. It's short and one of the most beautiful places on earth. You can always check out bear lake if you happen to love people and beautiful places - there are a million people there seriously.

While you are in RMNP you should take time to drive Trail Ridge Road. Wiki claims it is the highest continuous paved road in the United States. Either way it's a nice drive with some incredible views.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 25, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Did a 12 mile overnight trip just to test out gear for a big trip coming up. Really struggled getting any sleep on my thin inflatable pad. I'm a side sleeper mainly so it was impossible to get comfortable. Anyone have any advice? Tempted to call the whole thing off

Heres a pic from the trip

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Either buy a really spectacular pad or suffer, essentially. You could get into hammocking too, but that takes a good bit of research/gear/a bit of practice.

I cannot recommend the thermarest EvoLite Plus enough.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This pad looks absurdly thick to me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

This pad looks absurdly thick to me.

I've slept on one before and it is absurdly comfortable. My friend has one in his cabin. I would never in a million years take it hiking with me, but for car camping it is really nice.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

Either buy a really spectacular pad or suffer, essentially. You could get into hammocking too, but that takes a good bit of research/gear/a bit of practice.

I cannot recommend the thermarest EvoLite Plus enough.

Yeah I'm down to buy the biggest most luxe one I can realistically hike for 3 weeks with. So probably need it around 2 pounds. Maybe I'll try some at the store.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Look at the big agnes insulated q core. I'm the same way, side sleeper with difficulty sleeping on thin pads.

This pad changed the game for me. I was nervous about the durability of inflatables but it's been fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think I want to stick with a hammock for now, but want to upgrade to a better one. After getting to play with a Hennessy hammock, I am pretty sold on that brand, but I am still debating which model to buy.

The most expensive ($280) is the " Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip", which comes in at 2 lbs 4 oz. The vastly cheaper ($180) option is the "Expedition Asym Zip" at 2 lbs 12 oz.

I can't decide if half a pound is worth $100. Even the heavy option is going to be lighter than what I am using now, and can be made even lighter by swapping out some of the factory rigging with whoopie slings, which the rigging nerd in me would do just because I think they are cool as poo poo. A .5lb isn't a ton of weight, poo poo, thats like a quarter liter of water. I am usually a fan of just saving to buy the best option out there but I am not sure where the point of diminishing returns is for something like this.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Verman posted:

Look at the big agnes insulated q core. I'm the same way, side sleeper with difficulty sleeping on thin pads.

This pad changed the game for me. I was nervous about the durability of inflatables but it's been fine.

Looks good, what do you do for a pillow then?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Verman posted:

I'll add to the recommendation - just spent the last five weeks sleeping on one in various crappy lodgings and it's been a literal lifesaver. I'll be taking it with me on the trail day after tomorrow for nine days of backpacking, definitely worth the added weight IMO.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^WRT hennessy, get the best you can afford, you'll appreciate the extra tarp coverage and I think the more expensive option comes with an underquilt. It'd suck to buy almost what you need and then pine for the nicer one six months later.

My buddy used to have the neo air dream before switching to a hammock, and I can confirm that it is indeed really quite comfortable. You can *almost* side sleep with it, and though the weight sucks, it isn't the end of the world.

Another one of my hiking buddies picked up a neo air xlite and I really thought it was just about as comfortable, especially for pad sleeping. Of course, for nearly the same price, you could get a Hennessey setup which is lighter and much more comfortable, or just keep what you've got and htfu. Sleeping in an unfamiliar environment for the first time is something most people don't do well. It gets better when you realize that the coyotes are not going to eat you and that bears are usually more interested in your food... unless they're hungry.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

African AIDS cum posted:

Looks good, what do you do for a pillow then?
I've got this and it's pretty solid.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Hammock talk: Hennessey is a decent brand but I would recommend springing for a Warbonnet Blackbird instead. Price is comparable, but they're considerably more roomy/comfortable. Also the shelf just seems ok on paper but in practice it's ridiculously convenient. Keep your book, headlamp, water bottle etc all within arms reach. The disadvantage is that they're all handmade by one guy and there's usually a wait before you get one.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock in PA starting at the Hamburg Reservoir

There are some really pretty unmarked side trails on the mountain that are fun to explore down by the Blue Rocks section if you don't mind walking back on the roads to get back to your car at the reservoir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^WRT hennessy, get the best you can afford, you'll appreciate the extra tarp coverage and I think the more expensive option comes with an underquilt. It'd suck to buy almost what you need and then pine for the nicer one six months later.

I was going for less weight, the model with the large tarp and underpad weighs around 4ish pounds. I already have a large ENO trap if I find that I want more coverage. The winters around here, the last two years excepted, are not that bad and I don't see myself being out when it is much below 20-30f.

talktapes posted:

Hammock talk: Hennessey is a decent brand but I would recommend springing for a Warbonnet Blackbird instead. Price is comparable, but they're considerably more roomy/comfortable. Also the shelf just seems ok on paper but in practice it's ridiculously convenient. Keep your book, headlamp, water bottle etc all within arms reach. The disadvantage is that they're all handmade by one guy and there's usually a wait before you get one.

I was looking at them as well, but the extra size doesn't appeal to me. I sleep just fine in a single ENO and having gotten to lay in a Hennessy for a few minuets, it seemed insanely roomy compared to the ENO. I like the idea of the shelf, but I never really want water during the night and I sleep with my clothing in a bag as a pillow, so a headlamp rests nicely above that.

I also have an insane amount of free time atm so being able to have a new hammock in hand by midweek is super appealing.

In any case, I am leaning towards getting the cheaper and heavier Hennessy. I'm sure I can cut the weight from the random junk I feel the need to carry.