Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I thought she did like, really depressive folky stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dyna Soar posted:

I thought she did like, really depressive folky stuff?

Why not actually listen to the music in question before deciding it doesn't go here?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The rear end Stooge posted:

Why not actually listen to the music in question before deciding it doesn't go here?

I have and I did. It has got some fuzzy bass and probably used some Sunn or similar amps but it don't sound like doom, sludge or stoner to me.

But hey, feel free to talk about it if you think it's doom metal. Everything is subjective I guess.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 23, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plz post your best of the half-year albums so far so I can catch up. Thanks 😊

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I saw her open for Queens of the Stone Age some time back. I liked it, but it seemed like a bad fit for that band's crowd.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Goatsnake - Black Age Blues
High On Fire - Luminiferous
Bell Witch - Four Phantoms
Acid King - Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere
Lucifer - Lucifer I
Khemmis - Absolution
Crypt Sermon - Out of the Garden Revenant
Ruby The Hatchet - Valley go the Snake

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Royal Thunder - Crooked Doors
King Woman - Doubt (LP)
Marriages - Salome
Tribulation - The Children of the Night

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
torche - restarter
middle of nowhere, center of everywhere - acid king
black age blues - goatsnake
weedeater - goliathan

looking forward to hearing the new clutch, sourvein, brothers of the occult cloth, atomic bitchwax, corrosion of conformity (pepper's back, gently caress yes!), black cobra, neurosis and graves at sea.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Orchids new EP isnt too bad. The opening Track has some good vocals on it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Some that haven't been mentioned, italics = not a full length :420: contention for top 10 s/d/s of the year

Ufomammut - Ecate
Saturnalia Temple - To The Other
Blackout - Blackout
BongCauldron - Acid Cattle
Dope Smoker - Dope Smoker III
Greenbeard - Stoned At The Throne
:420: Saturndust - Saturndust
Warrior Pope - The Voices Said Empty, Hollow and Thud
:420: Watchtower - Radiant Moon
:420: Fister - IV
Electricjezus - Котлован
Vile Creature - A Steady Descent Into The Soil
Space Bong - Deadwood to Worms

Obvious ones

:420: Dopethrone - Hochelaga
:420: Elder - Lore

Also Belzebong has a new one coming this year that is just going to be So Good

nerve fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 24, 2015

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Skilleddk posted:

Is this the place to talk about Chelsea Wolfe? Because she just put out album of the year, or even decade, holy poo poo. There's just nothing to improve. No tracks to skip, she reached perfection with this album.

her live at roadburn record is really good, I also sat next to her while she ate a hot dog one time. GOOD TIMES

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was so much good poo poo in 2014 so I'm still catching up with 15 stuff. Plz keep posting your lists S/S/D goons.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

nerve posted:

Some that haven't been mentioned, italics = not a full length :420: contention for top 10 s/d/s of the year

Vile Creature - A Steady Descent Into The Soil

You wouldn't call this a full length? It's almost forty minutes long, about the same length as Scorn, and I'd say that's a full length. And speaking of this album, for those that are interested, Broken Limbs Recordings is going to release it on vinyl this fall.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

There was so much good poo poo in 2014 so I'm still catching up with 15 stuff. Plz keep posting your lists S/S/D goons.

It's so easy to lose track, I love how much good stuff has been out lately. I forgot about the new Acid King, goddamn. Also:
Bong - We Are
The Body/Thou - Released From Love

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Also Brothers of the Sonic Cloth and the upcoming Uncle Acid.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So far for me (that I can remember came out this year):

Ruby the Hatchet - Valley of the Snake
Elder - Lore

And it's not exactly doom/sludge but Spylacopa's Parallels is worth a listen.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
For me the good poo poo this year is:

Elder - Lore
Royal Thunder - Crooked Doors
Khemmis - Absolution
High On Fire - Luminiferous

Plus one that noone else has mentioned:
Colossus - The Breathing World

These guys are really good!! they recently opened for Mastodon.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm just getting into metal again after a long hiatus. I've been listening to Ramesses, Sunn o))), Thou, and a couple bands I haven't seen mentioned much, Culted, and Terra Tenebrosa. Fun stuff!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Shakenbaker posted:

So far for me (that I can remember came out this year):

Ruby the Hatchet - Valley of the Snake
Elder - Lore

And it's not exactly doom/sludge but Spylacopa's Parallels is worth a listen.

Oh man, I didn't know Spylacopa had a new one. I'd listen to anything Julie Christmas is involved in.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Here's a song from the new Uncle Acid album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbwk228vtkg

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
About a year back I posted about joining Pike as their new guitarist. Since then things have been going really well, we've played a few gigs and written a bunch of new songs. The plan is to start recording early next year or so when the songs are done.

We played a great show in Stockholm last night, super happy with how it turned out. The sound was amazing and the crowd seemed to really like us. Had a few people come up to me to talk about our old vs. new material and which songs they liked best. One guy even bought me a beer! :3: This is especially awesome for me as I've never been in a band with actual fans before.

We also recorded the whole show, here's one of our new songs and probably our second best song overall!

Pike - Alan Grant

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some more doom covers of blues/classics? I really dig Bongzilla's cover of "Champagne and Reefer" and Dopethrone's cover of "Ain't No Sunshine"

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some more doom covers of blues/classics? I really dig Bongzilla's cover of "Champagne and Reefer" and Dopethrone's cover of "Ain't No Sunshine"

You probably know it but Weedeater - Gimme Back My Bullets originally by Skyrnyrd

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cvlt Nation's full album revolving band covers of Paranoid, Master of Reality, and Holy Mountain are fun.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Hoopsnake and IRN put out a split of this exact thing, it's pretty awesome.

https://ir-n.bandcamp.com/album/hoopsnake-irn-split

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Fu Manchu has a few good covers like Chevy Van and Godzilla. Sons of Otis' take on Mississippi Queen is pretty good. Always loved Crowbar's take on Dream Weaver.

Honorable mention to Cable's take on Can't You See and Buzzov*en's Don't Bring Me Down for making those songs super bitter and angry.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Shakenbaker posted:

Fu Manchu has a few good covers like Chevy Van and Godzilla.

I also like their versions of Devo's Freedom of Choice and The Cars' Moving In Stereo.

quote:

Always loved Crowbar's take on Dream Weaver.

Honorable mention to Cable's take on Can't You See and Buzzov*en's Don't Bring Me Down for making those songs super bitter and angry.

I never heard these three before. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 27, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The cover of Take My Breath Away that someone linked to in the last few pages is great. I forget the artist though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Electricjezus, but that's more sludge than doom.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The new Ahab video kind of sucked, but the song was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUwUBJz9ik

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The new Ahab video kind of sucked, but the song was really good.

Vox are way, WAY up in the mix and the riffs sound exactly like early Cult of Luna. Not feeling it and i like call of the wretched sea a lot.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Dyna Soar posted:

Vox are way, WAY up in the mix and the riffs sound exactly like early Cult of Luna. Not feeling it and i like call of the wretched sea a lot.

This album preview they put up has me more excited than I probably should be. The single sounds like it's the weakest song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktbGc3U9BG0

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Listening to the preview I like some of the stuff, but mostly they seem to be moving into a more technical direction, Neurisis worship if you will and crispier production. Oh well, we'll see.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
https://soundcloud.com/adultswimsingles/thou

New Thou song. I like it lots.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if Translation Loss is usually super slow filling orders? A month back when someone brought up Giant Squid I ordered a few albums from their site but I got nada. I got an email confirming the order when I placed it, but nothing at all since then.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Per Inter Arma's Facebook page:

Inter Arma posted:

INTER ARMA will be touring alongside KYLESA this fall. Support will come from Indian Handcrafts and Irata. Dates below, with more TBA soon:

Tue Oct 06 St. Petersburg, FL State Theatre
Wed Oct 07 Miami, FL Grand Central
Thu Oct 08 Orlando, FL The Social
Fri Oct 09 Savannah, GA Jinx
Sat Oct 10 Asheville, NC New Mountain
Tue Oct 13 Columbus, OH The Basement
Wed Oct 14 Grand Rapids, MI Pyramid Scheme
Fri Oct 16 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
Sat Oct 17 Pittsburgh, PA Altar Bar
Mon Oct 19 Boston, MA Brighton Music Hall
Tue Oct 20 Philadelphia, PA Black Box at Underground Arts
Fri Oct 23 Richmond, VA The Broadberry
Sat Oct 24 Washington, D.C. Rock & Roll Hotel

You Floridians finally have a good tour coming to your nightmare state.

Shakenbaker posted:

Anyone know if Translation Loss is usually super slow filling orders? A month back when someone brought up Giant Squid I ordered a few albums from their site but I got nada. I got an email confirming the order when I placed it, but nothing at all since then.

Email them. I find a number of these smaller labels can be bad at letting you know when something actually ships out/if there are delays. I'll usually ask politely but straight up if there's something going on. Hell, dropping them a message might get them off their asses and actually send the drat thing.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The new Ahab video kind of sucked, but the song was good.

The first time through when I watched the video I didn't think it was so hot. The second time through without the video was much better. The first verse vocals are a little different than what they've done in the past and of course the music is a departure from typical Ahab, which they mention in the promo talk. Overall I still like this particular song and I'm looking forward to the new album.

ElectricWizard posted:

Here's a song from the new Uncle Acid album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbwk228vtkg

This is good and I like it. Looking forward to the new album.

Detective Thompson posted:

Tour

Sweet, I'll be at that Asheville show. Thanks for posting.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Detective Thompson posted:

They were great when they played at DC9 when they played DC in April, and they played The Cavern in its entirety. I am there.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I was always kind of so so on Inter Arma, but I caught their set at MDF and they were absolutely stellar. The whole crowd was just mesmerized. Definitely catch them if you have the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I never really got in to them but I went to see them when they come through just because. I was familiar with the The Cavern but it didn't really grab me when it first came out. That being said they opened with The Cavern and they turned me into a fan. I like their drummer, he's fun to watch.

This was the same show that blind sided me with Yautja, they rule.