Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

No, I meant more like a guy with a lung condition dying in practice because he didn't get the treatment he needs or a young rikishi getting killed by his oyakata due to being beaten with a metal baseball bat.
I know that :thejoke: but hell, that second thing actually happened and you'd still be hard pressed to find much in the way of long-lasting changes in the Kyoukai's training/discipline culture as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Apraxin posted:

I know that :thejoke: but hell, that second thing actually happened and you'd still be hard pressed to find much in the way of long-lasting changes in the Kyoukai's training/discipline culture as a result.

Its going to change slowly and that's the only way. Aminishiki, Kotoshuu, and Harumafuji will probably become head of stables later and all three have expressed desire to change the health care, wrestler treatment, and business management of stables with some modern ideas. I think especially Kotoshuu and Aminishiki understand what sumo needs to survive in modern times.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
keep an eye on Mitakeumi - he's in his 3rd basho out of college and is currently 8-1 in juryo

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joO6b5qFlDo

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

efb by mere seconds

Sideburn power!!

Well, it wasn't Day 9, but it was entertaining. Lot of street brawls and funny landings.

The scheduling has been throwing me off this basho - must have something to do with there being 4 Ozeki again. It's weird that the Ozeki have already had a few bouts against each other this early on. I guess they have to throw the Ozeki a garbage fight or two in the last 5 days so the scheduling works out with both Yokozuna still having the 4 Ozeki plus each other remaining.

Did anyone get the story on the Hakuho face smash yesterday?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

A good day.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Fighting spirit prize is surely between Endo and Oosunaarashi for continuing to fight and win whilst pretty damned injured (assuming they get 8 wins).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's conceivable that they could both win it

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'm loving Endo's pink mawashi. It's a good look for him and is apparently giving him the power for a possible double digit win record.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Also I know it's been a long time coming, but Tochiozan should be who Japanese people are looking to for the next big guy. He's always been a wildcard in that he's definitely good enough to beat anyone but he's inconsistent. I'd be pretty happy if he got his poo poo together.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Myogiryu's quietly doing a good job this basho too

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Day 11

Mitakeumi in the sole lead in Juryo after today, by the way, at 9-2. Going against Sokokurai (8-3) tomorrow.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's not often you see Hakuho out of breath like that

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tsaedje posted:

It's not often you see Hakuho out of breath like that

He's not doing a lot of insta throws this time, and going slow. I'm wondering if he's protecting some niggling injury and wanting to avoid become a full fledged injury when a 200kg man's weight is completely suspended over one side of his body.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A small update on brodi from the guy that got him in to the heya. Before the basho he got a bad stomach illness and lost 30kg in body weight. They've also disallowed him from using amateur bad habits and he's had no belt training during this 'deconstruction'. So I think this explains his current performance.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

A small update on brodi from the guy that got him in to the heya. Before the basho he got a bad stomach illness and lost 30kg in body weight. They've also disallowed him from using amateur bad habits and he's had no belt training during this 'deconstruction'. So I think this explains his current performance.

Holy poo poo. I'm not sure you could lose 66 lbs if you had a straight month of a stomach flu, even if you're 300 lbs. I did think he was looking pretty lanky, but goddamn.

Tear 'em down and build 'em up, huh?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm not sure you could lose 66 lbs if you had a straight month of a stomach flu, even if you're 300 lbs. I did think he was looking pretty lanky, but goddamn.

Tear 'em down and build 'em up, huh?

I lost 15lbs (a bit more) in one day due to a case of food poisoning that put me in the hospital on an IV drip, when I weighed about 185. At 330 lbs, severe diarrhea plus a period of not eating the massive amounts of carbs to help retain other water could easily lead to that big of a weight swing. And should have put him in the hospital. Kid's lucky he didn't die.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBg7XSuFO0

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Enjoyed the hell out of Terunofuji - Kakuryu, and Tochinoshin being a beast, but the rest was a little dull

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Enjoyed the hell out of Terunofuji - Kakuryu, and Tochinoshin being a beast, but the rest was a little dull

Yeah, like Kintamayama said, there have been a lot of pulls and slips, and today was no exception.

So, I found a binder that had some Hokusai sketches of rikishi all over it, and think it's pretty much perfect as a card collecting binder.

Got it just in time for the box of 2012 cards I found online for super cheap to come in, too. After organizing that set, I realized that I was missing only the first card from every single page (11 in all), with 3~6 duplicates throughout the rest of the page. What are the odds?

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

Day 13

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Looks like we'll probably end up with another Hakuho-hum yusho.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
It's a real shame about Tochiozan breaking under pressure when he was so close to the top. I can't say I'm too surprised though, seeing as I remember him visibly shaking on his way to the playoff match against Kyokutenho back in May '12. You would hope that in these last three years he'd develop some more confidence, but I guess that's not the case.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xqycfJS2aE

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGY0QL1S6EE

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. Yokozuna vs Yokozuna.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The finale was suitably epic.

Osunaarashi's best performance to date IMO - on a bum shoulder no less!

Kyokutenho :smith:

Kotoshogiku finally takes advantage of his rep to save his rank!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Well, that does it for Kyokutenho and Wakanosato. They both debuted in the 1992 Summer basho together and lasted nearly two and a half decades. Within the well know rikishi, this leaves Aminishiki who showed up in 1997, and Hakuho, who started in 2001. There are a couple of guys rolling around Jonidan from the mid 80s, who've never progressed past Sandanme though.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Ever since I started watching Sumo last year Kyokutenhou's been a personal favorite. I've been really impressed by his determination, and if he bows out now, it would be well-deserved. Japanese twitter accounts have had some emotional pictures and reactions to his last bout.

But even with that, seeing Oosunaarashi soldier on this basho was incredible. I understand why he didn't get the Fighting Spirit prize, but drat did he deserve it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Friar John posted:

But even with that, seeing Oosunaarashi soldier on this basho was incredible. I understand why he didn't get the Fighting Spirit prize, but drat did he deserve it.

Also considering that there was some crossover with Ramadan it's incredible he put up the basho he did.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

There are a couple of guys rolling around Jonidan from the mid 80s, who've never progressed past Sandanme though.

30 years without an income, holy poo poo. These guys are, I assume, pushing 50, and have never had an income in their lives.

There are several from 2001 and 2002 still in makuuchi, so it's not quite like we're left with a bunch of kids. Definitely have permanently shrunken the age range, though. Don't forget about Tamaasuka, who came up in 98 and is still hanging tough in Juryo - he's only 32, though.

I wonder who, besides Aminishiki and probably Takekaze, of the current rikishi is the most likely to make it to age 38+ and still be in makuuchi. I could see Kisenosato being the next Kaio and mailing in 10 wins per basho for another 8 years - he's always healthy and very technically sound. Toyonoshima could bounce around Makuuchi for another 6 years, unless the past couple basho are truly a sign of his decline.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Definitely a big Oosunaarashi fan for life after that basho.

This is only the second one I've watched, and from seeing Gagamaru twice, it seems like his huge size hinders him more than it helps. He just seems really slow and not actually all that strong. Any chance he might try losing a bit of weight, or has he been that huge for a long time?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
a cool oosunaarashi thing is you can go on sumoforum and find his old posts on there asking how to get connected with stables in japan

and gagamaru has always been a huge fat gently caress. he started to get kind of good at one point but he's very inconsistent

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
Sad to see Kyokutenhou leave! He has been one of my favorites for awhile. What was up with Ikioi? Bad numbers for someone uninjured.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Add me to the list of people sad to see Kyokutenho retire. His yusho was so heartwarming.

Bets on how they can contrive to keep Tochinoshin out of the sanyaku ranks this time?

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I enjoy watching these videos while I dick around at work and have a question about gyoji. Why do some of them shout "hakkei yoi" and then keep quiet, while others chant rhythmically throughout the entire bout? And what are they chanting? According to The Internet they're saying "nokotta nokotta!", but it doesn't sound like that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
They stop when the guys stop moving around. Then start back up again when they start moving around. I think the hakkei yoi thing is to try to get them going again.

It serves two purposes: As long as they are yelling something the wrestlers know its not over yet, and the yelling kind of covers up the grunt and slapping you'd otherwise hear.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

If anyone here has the sumo app and pays for the service, go look at the special videos. The hatsu-dohyo matches for the 3 current yokozuna just went up yesterday, and holy gently caress, they all might add up to one Gagamaru, and they probably now have more hair on their balls than they had on their head.

Spoiler - one of them loses, and quite comically, too.

If you haven't seen any yet, they've also put up babby Asashoryu, Takamisakari, Kaio, and a few others.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

The videos on the sumo app always take awhile to buffer, even when I'm on a wi-fi connection. Does anyone else experience this? Does it improve with the paid subscription?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Updated Banzuke

code:
Hakuhou 	Y 	Kakuryuu 
Harumafuji 	Y
Terunofuji 	O	Kisenosato 
Goeido 		O 	Kotoshougiku 
Tochiouzan 	S	Myougiryuu 
Tochinoshin	K	Okinoumi
Aoiyama		M1	Yoshikaze 
Oosunaarashi 	M2 	Sadanofuji 
Sadanoumi 	M3 	Takayasu 
Ichinojou 	M4 	Takarafuji 
Tamawashi 	M5 	Kaisei
Aminishiki 	M6 	Tokushouryuu 
Endou 		M7 	Amuuru 
Takekaze 	M8	Toyonoshima 
Gagamaru 	M9 	Kagamiou 
Kotoyuuki 	M10	Kyokushuuhou
Chiyotairyuu 	M11	Homarefuji 
Ikioi 		M12	Chiyoootori 
Daieishou 	M13	Tokitenkuu 
Kitataiki 	M14 	Soukokurai
Asasekiryuu 	M15 	Hidenoumi 
Seirou		M16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomat posted:

Updated Banzuke

code:
Hakuhou 	Y 	Kakuryuu 
Harumafuji 	Y
Terunofuji 	O	Kisenosato 
Goeido 		O 	Kotoshougiku 
Tochiouzan 	S	Myougiryuu 
Tochinoshin	K	Okinoumi
Aoiyama		M1	Yoshikaze 
Oosunaarashi 	M2 	Sadanofuji 
Sadanoumi 	M3 	Takayasu 
Ichinojou 	M4 	Takarafuji 
Tamawashi 	M5 	Kaisei
Aminishiki 	M6 	Tokushouryuu 
Endou 		M7 	Amuuru 
Takekaze 	M8	Toyonoshima 
Gagamaru 	M9 	Kagamiou 
Kotoyuuki 	M10	Kyokushuuhou
Chiyotairyuu 	M11	Homarefuji 
Ikioi 		M12	Chiyoootori 
Daieishou 	M13	Tokitenkuu 
Kitataiki 	M14 	Soukokurai
Asasekiryuu 	M15 	Hidenoumi 
Seirou		M16

Harumafuji is officially out of the basho, and a lot of nagging injuries near the top for sanyaku. All eyes on Terunofuji for making things more interesting than another Hakuho trollfest.