Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I watch that action stuff and I think, the worst thing about being a successful actor must be all the exercise you have to do.

That might just be my aversion to anything more physically taxing than standing up, though.

There was a really good article last year about the toll it takes on actors

quote:

Stuntmen talk about drugs as a calculated risk that's worth the advantage, so long as they get regular colonoscopies and screenings for prostate cancer. It's easy to see how an actor – especially one who relies on his brawn or his ability to throw a convincing punch – might seek that same edge.

That edge is what lured Manu Bennett, who played the fearsome gladiator Crixus on Spartacus. In 2007, at the age of 35, he got a lead role in The Smashing Machine, the story of ferocious Mark Kerr, an MMA fighter and drug addict. Bennett was to face off with Jean-Claude Van Damme. It was a dream role, his real break, so Bennett went all-in.

"I try to build myself as a physical representation of the character, and I knew Kerr had problems with steroids," says Bennett. "So it challenged me to, uh, fully embrace the role." (It's an echo of what Mickey Rourke said when asked about steroid use during his Oscar-nominated role as a veteran grappler in The Wrestler: "When I'm a wrestler, I behave like a wrestler." Or Tom Hardy's more caustic explanation of his Dark Knight Rises physique: "No, I took Smarties," he replied when a reporter asked if he'd juiced for the role. "What do you loving think?") Bennett says he began doing two-a-day workouts with a former Mr. Australia and began taking injections. He put on 44 pounds in three months.

When he arrived on the set in early 2008, he boasts, "I could have challenged the look of people like Stallone and Schwarzenegger." But then the star, 47-year-old Jean-Claude Van Damme, never arrived and the movie was never shot. According to Bennett, Van Damme didn't want to be shown up. "He'd seen a picture of me, and I was absolutely pumped," Bennett says, "and he was not in the best shape of his life at that time." Bennett is still angry. "This gently caress-up just thinks of himself. He looks at this photo of me and feels egotistically challenged." (Van Damme's representatives did not respond to requests for comment.)

In the end, Bennett's big break had broken him: "I ended up going back with no money and had to work on a building site as a day laborer for eight months, swinging that pick, jackhammering."

And since he could no longer afford the hormone supplements, his estrogen levels surged. "It was horrible," he says, noting that he would sob uncontrollably on the work site. "Everything went kind of soft. I was on my period for two months, crashing on the estrogen."

Eight months later, he got a call from his agent. Ironically, the producers of the new TV series Spartacus had seen a photo of Bennett at his drug-enabled peak and cast him as the show's villain, Crixus. Bennett left the construction site and hit the gym, but says he never went back on the juice. He gained back much of his size, but not all of it.

Now Bennett is 44 – old for a badass nemesis – and won't rule out hormone therapy in the future. "For the roles I take on, I've got to be an actor and a professional athlete or fighter to somehow match their myth," he says. "I've got to set a new summit and figure out how I'm going to get up there."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That seems like a pretty extreme example. I've read about how Jennifer Garner claimed never to have thown a punch when she was cast in Alias so she spent a month practicing tae kwon do before they filmed the first episode, or how Tom Hiddleston studied capoeira and went on an all boiled rice and roast chicken diet whe he was in Thor, which come off as fairly low end of the scale stuff by comparison.

Of course, since I've never exercised in my entire life, maybe it's all less onerous than I suppose.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 24, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's an extreme example but it's becoming more rather than less common.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I watch that action stuff and I think, the worst thing about being a successful actor must be all the exercise you have to do.

That might just be my aversion to anything more physically taxing than standing up, though.

I actually think the opposite. Not only would you have proper motivation to stay/get fit, you'd basically be getting paid for it.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Wheat Loaf posted:

That seems like a pretty extreme example. I've read about how Jennifer Garner claimed never to have thown a punch when she was cast in Alias so she spent a month practicing tae kwon do before they filmed the first episode, or how Tom Hiddleston studied capoeira and went on an all boiled rice and roast chicken diet whe he was in Thor, which come off as fairly low end of the scale stuff by comparison.

Of course, since I've never exercised in my entire life, maybe it's all less onerous than I suppose.

The craziest body transformation has to be Christian Bale in The Machinist

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Christian Bale in The Machinist and then afterwards Batman Begins. Apparently he put on 100 pounds in 6 months to bulk up properly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

richardfun posted:

I actually think the opposite. Not only would you have proper motivation to stay/get fit, you'd basically be getting paid for it.

That's a good point. After all, I'm starting from the premise that exercise is a dreadful bore which I would much rather avoid thinking about, much less doing, and that's just me being a prat, really.

Anyway, most big name actors have personal trainers who'll whip them into shape and keep them at it, don't they?

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Anyway, most big name actors have personal trainers who'll whip them into shape and keep them at it, don't they?

Or the studio will pay for the trainer. I believe Jennifer Lawrence had a trainer hired by the studio when she was prepping for the first Hunger Games movie, not to mention all that archery training.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's a good point. After all, I'm starting from the premise that exercise is a dreadful bore which I would much rather avoid thinking about, much less doing, and that's just me being a prat, really.

Well yeah, obviously. If a studio is going to sink money into a project, I can understand them wanting to be sure that you will be in the desired shape once shooting starts. Better be safe than sorry by sending one of those screaming fitness nazi's to your door at 6am every day. At least I imagine that's what it's like, based on snippets of those 'help me I'm fat' weight loss shows on MTV.

E: With Spartacus, they made it a group thing and started off before each season with Gladiator Boot Camp. Click here (Youtube link) for a little taste of their version of hell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dave Angel posted:

Christian Bale in The Machinist and then afterwards Batman Begins. Apparently he put on 100 pounds in 6 months to bulk up properly.
He bulked up too much, and had to lose weight to fit into the suit properly.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That, plus studio-provided professionals. The article goes into a lot of detail.

Part of the reason Manu Bennett did what he did was that he was trying to break into the scene, and didn't have access to those resources.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm rewatching Chuck and it's delightful, Zach Levi is a charming dude.
Yvonne Strahovski is the finest woman the world has ever known, for the record.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rocksicles posted:

No arguments here. Supposedly they had to get such an unreasonably sexy lady to make Zach Levi look like a convincing turbodork by comparison.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rocksicles posted:

:argh:

This is objectively incorrect as long as the world is graced with Kristen Bell.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Klaus88 posted:

This is objectively incorrect as long as the world is graced with Kristen Bell.

http://www.eonline.com/news/679861/...ain-tumor-watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUd2V4c9-YA

:3:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Rushing through Mr. Robot. It's been a very enjoyable ride.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Rocksicles posted:

Hey cool, I'm rewatching Chuck too. By all accounts I should hate this show for how pandering it can be, but it's just too drat fun and the cast is phenomenal.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010

richardfun posted:

E: With Spartacus, they made it a group thing and started off before each season with Gladiator Boot Camp. Click here (Youtube link) for a little taste of their version of hell.

drat, that looks cool. No wonder their extras were in it heart and soul, that kind of commitment and enthusiasm must be contagious.

On the binging front: Mr Robot is indeed a fun watch, even though I don't yet trust it to go the promised amount of seasons without becoming cliche. Seems to be amalgamation of fun and good story elements and tropes of other series and films. They have yet to prove they can hold their own with original ideas. One part that shines through is Dexter and while I was a fan of the show and even watched until the bitter end, I sure hope they learned from that trainwreck and don't follow it all the way.

Sqeetschy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 25, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been watching the 100. It's pretty entertaining but it's remarkable how virtually every character is an absolute total poo poo. I hate almost all of them so I just laugh when they constantly get themselves into stupid easily avoided disasters. But for some reason this is fun for me so I like it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Agree. But I do like how it completely ignores the CW code of "Killing should never EVER be done."

Someone always dies for the good of the many in The 100.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Pan Dulce posted:

For the good of Clarke Griffin's subconscious bloodlust.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pan Dulce posted:

Agree. But I do like how it completely ignores the CW code of "Killing should never EVER be done."

There isn't a show where someone volunteers to die for the good of the many. I think it happens literally every episode and that is not a joke.

And they always make it awesome anyway.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

If that's the CW code, that ship sailed away long ago. The brothers on Supernatural kill people all the time. Any time they kill a demon, they also kill whoever the demon was possessing, and most of the possessed aren't guilty of much more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You could maybe argue that killing the host body is a mercy, but the Winchesters have still killed a bunch of people.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

thrakkorzog posted:

If that's the CW code, that ship sailed away long ago. The brothers on Supernatural kill people all the time. Any time they kill a demon, they also kill whoever the demon was possessing, and most of the possessed aren't guilty of much more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You could maybe argue that killing the host body is a mercy, but the Winchesters have still killed a bunch of people.

It's a recent thing on their line of shows. The Flash, The Arrow, iZombie, and even crazy rear end killing shows like Vampire Diaries have terrible angst about killing, even if it is someone/something terrible. So they have reams of episodes or an entire season dedicated to will they/won't they change their ways.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pan Dulce posted:

Or in many cases, tries to NOBLY SACRIFICE themselves only to fail. My favorite so far is (I'm at the start of Season 2) Jaha's huge dramatic moment staying behind while the rest of the Ark crashes to earth. Now in Season 2 he finally cracks open the bottle he'd been saving, then dramatically gives a speech and turns off all the power ready to die....... except then it turns out some jackass forgot a baby somehow OOPS NOW HE MUST SAVE THIS BABY.

It's so great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've got through to the end of season 7 of HIMYM, and I decided to start reading along the archived TVIV threads. I think there's something wrong with me, because I've been consistently enjoying it the whole way through so far. Am I just bad at watching TV?

Ted Moseby Architect's posts make it worthwhile, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The 100 season 2 episode 8: It's amazing how my feelings on Finn transformed between last season and this one. In Season one he and Octavia were the two main characters I genuinely liked and was rooting for. Then over the course of the first half of this season Finn just becomes the absolute goddamn worst and by episode 8 I was actively cheering for his death. No one dying on this show has been so satisfying yet. gently caress Finn I'm glad he's dead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watching some interviews for The 100 and it surprises me how many of the actors are British or Australian. I mean why bother with making them do American accents on the show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I blew through The 100 really quickly after I got over the hump of the first couple of episodes. I loved every minute of it from there on and I was one of the very few that was sad to see Finn go. Ghenghis Clarke is a loving monster and I hope she obliterates an entire continent or timeline or something next season. And I can't wait to see what's in store for Jaha and the other craziness revealed in the S2 finale. I'm so glad that season 3 will supposedly have the originally intended ending. The show is way better than it should be.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 28, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

Watching some interviews for The 100 and it surprises me how many of the actors are British or Australian. I mean why bother with making them do American accents on the show.

I assume CW execs pushed for everyone to use American accents, because a multi-national cast would actually fit the setting perfectly.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Currently re-watching The Shield. I watched it religiously during its original run and concluded it was the best tv series of all time.

It's more refreshing to watch this time around because my morals have changed in the last 10 years(I'm not 22 anymore) and the main characters really are scumbags. I knew they were "bad" during the first run but I was totally rooting for them.

Anyway, it still holds up. It was definitely the bridge between network cop shows and the dark, gritty stuff that led to shows like Breaking Bad. I encourage all to watch the first episode and try to say they don't want to start binging through it. 10/10

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 31, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Just finished seasons 1 & 2 of The Newsroom. If this is how Sorkin writes when he's on coke, then I will back a loving dump truck of it up to his house and tell him to bring back West Wing.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
It's OK for a while, but eventually I get really tired of his schtick.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I always intended to watch West Wing, but I think watching (and quitting) the Newsroom first has ruined any chance I'd have had to enjoy it now.

Also, this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say that Manu Bennett being on roids prior to Spartacus and then going off them totally explains his dick seemingly growing several inches between seasons.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Chromatic posted:

Currently re-watching The Shield. 10/10

I can't give it a 10/10 for a few reasons, one being how ridiculous the filler plots were where every bad guy eventually admits to the crime. CSI is bad cause the defense attorney just stays quiet. In the Shield defense attorneys don't even exist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Chromatic posted:

Currently re-watching The Shield. I watched it religiously during its original run and concluded it was the best tv series of all time.

It's more refreshing to watch this time around because my morals have changed in the last 10 years(I'm not 22 anymore) and the main characters really are scumbags. I knew they were "bad" during the first run but I was totally rooting for them.

Anyway, it still holds up. It was definitely the bridge between network cop shows and the dark, gritty stuff that led to shows like Breaking Bad. I encourage all to watch the first episode and try to say they don't want to start binging through it. 10/10

Yeah it has a lot in common thematically with Breaking Bad, and living in LA I really appreciated what they did with the setting and references to actual history and events (look up the Rampart scandal). It's not as cerebral as The Wire and much more action-oriented, but I think it absolutely belongs in the same tier of awesome television as those other two shows.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Watched the first episode of Spartacus last night and was pretty unimpressed. I can see from the AV Club reviews that it apparently gets better after a few episodes, but do they cut out the Zack Snyder every-battle-is-a-video-game-cutscene bullshit? That gets old really fast. Immediately, in fact.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Mu Zeta posted:

American audiences hate foreigners:smug:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Spartacus- The first episode is the worst episode of the entire show, it only gets better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Watched the first episode of Spartacus last night and was pretty unimpressed. I can see from the AV Club reviews that it apparently gets better after a few episodes, but do they cut out the Zack Snyder every-battle-is-a-video-game-cutscene bullshit? That gets old really fast. Immediately, in fact.

Spartacus has an incredibly rough first few episodes. They scale down on the hyperstylisation quite a bit later on. If you don't want to force yourself through all the initial episodes, jump straight to "The thing in the pit" (should be the fourth). That one is pretty good and more indicative of how the rest of the show will look.