Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Shwqa posted:

You can just watch all the phone calls and mini games on youtube. It takes like an hour to get through all the games.

Yeah that's p much what I've done for the series. Read all the wiki content & watch youtube playthroughs, bam you've p much experienced the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I didn't know about this, but apparently if you become a mass murderer in New Vegas, word gets around:

I mean, I've killed a lot of people (mostly fiends and legion) in previous playthroughs, but I guess I haven't killed enough civilians before to make the bad guys plead for their lives.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Jul 27, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
At this point, "well-intentioned bad guy who truly believes they're right" is more of a cliche than the mustache-twirling kind.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Morpheus posted:

the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

This is actually true of a great many villains though.

A little thing I like from Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of the dumbest moments in the game. Vamp a vampiric looking character with pointed teeth and a penchant for blood is being discussed by Snake and Raiden. Snake tells Raiden about how Vamp once drank blood to survive in a collapsed building and Raiden asks if that is why he is called Vamp. Snake responds "No it's because he's bisexual" and looks at Raiden with utter disgust at his stupidity. It's the best.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Not enough villains. So many just want to take over the world, or destroy it, or summon their dark god (for...reasons?), or gain great power, etc. None of them could possibly believe that was the right thing to do if they had any shred of sanity, or decent writing, in them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Not enough villains. So many just want to take over the world, or destroy it, or summon their dark god (for...reasons?), or gain great power, etc. None of them could possibly believe that was the right thing to do if they had any shred of sanity, or decent writing, in them.

Name some. Preferably from the last five years. Right now I'm just coming up with whatsisface from Fire Emblem Awakening and maybe whosisname from Dying Light.

Honestly at this point I've seen so many well-intentioned extremist badguys that it'd be a relief to deal with one who's a) evil just for the hell of it, and b) not the Joker.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

A little thing I like from Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of the dumbest moments in the game. Vamp a vampiric looking character with pointed teeth and a penchant for blood is being discussed by Snake and Raiden. Snake tells Raiden about how Vamp once drank blood to survive in a collapsed building and Raiden asks if that is why he is called Vamp. Snake responds "No it's because he's bisexual" and looks at Raiden with utter disgust at his stupidity. It's the best.

Sometimes I like to imagine the ludicrous backstories for Dead Cell are just Raiden's support team seeing how much bullshit they can feed him before he questions it. Like, that fat guy is totally called Fatman because he made a working nuclear bomb at the age of 12 and not because he's a human tub of lard. You could do pretty much the same thing for the whole series though (and you'd often be correct).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fortune is not called that because of her supernatural ability to make her enemies miss, it's because her rear end looks like a million dollars.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Sometimes I like to imagine the ludicrous backstories for Dead Cell are just Raiden's support team seeing how much bullshit they can feed him before he questions it.
Replace Dead Cell with Metal Gear Solid, Raiden with players and the support team with Hideo Kojima and that's basically what Metal Gear Solid, and very especially MGS2, is all about.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Got Arkham Knight recently. When you have subtitles on, every non-enemy npc has a unique name. You're not just saving "Firefighter #3", you're saving "Firefighter Don Leary" (I think there was a Leary but I don't remember the full name)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morpheus posted:

I think the problem isn't that there are so many that want to destroy/take over/gently caress over the world for selfish or megalomaniacal reasons, it's that there are so many that are bad at it.

I just finished replaying Final Fantasy V for the Four Job Fiesta, and Exdeath is a fantastic 'just plain old super loving evil' villain. He's literally the most evil thing that has ever existed, born of throwing so many evil monster's souls into a tree that the tree itself became an evil monster. He wants to destroy the world not out of some complex reason, but because he's so evil that omnicide is the most appealing choice. And his entire thing would fall apart and be terrible if they didn't go whole-hog with it.

Exdeath has no redeeming qualities. Every time he appears, it is explicitly to do something to make you hate him even more, or for you to fight him. He doesn't pull his punches and just do small things, either; he fucks up the world map and destroys the protagonist's hometown just to piss him off. Exdeath is a Capital V Villain, only existing to be a horrible evil monster that you want to destroy, and he pulls it off perfectly. Kefka's similar in just being an utter monster, but they screwed up by making him somewhat sympathetic and occasionally ineffectual; things that might stop you from giving him your best and most painful shot. (EDIT: Exdeath's also very present, he actually steps in quite often for an RPG villain. Contrast with Kefka again, who just sits in a tower for half the game.)

Exdeath suits the game well, too. FFV is a drag-out bare-knuckle brawl between you and the game, with difficulty that doesn't hold back, and very rarely giving you easy avenues. It's a hard game, one that expects you to step up to meet it, and that means pitting you up against something that you'll be throwing your best at.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jul 27, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Name some. Preferably from the last five years. Right now I'm just coming up with whatsisface from Fire Emblem Awakening and maybe whosisname from Dying Light.

Honestly at this point I've seen so many well-intentioned extremist badguys that it'd be a relief to deal with one who's a) evil just for the hell of it, and b) not the Joker.

First, I want to say that I don't mean people who are simply creating extremely flimsy pretenses for what they do.
"Oh, I want to make the world a better place! That's why I'm murdering everybody that isn't pure, only 90% of the population!"
There's well-intentioned extremists and then there's just people that no one but the most bloodthirsty or psychotic would ever knowingly associate with. And most of the time it's not really well written either, or they're such unpleasant people that it's impossible to care about them or their motives.

Anyway, every villain from almost every jRPG*. Mr House and Caesar from Fallout: NV. The bad guy from Evil Within. Prototype 1 and 2. Anything with aliens/nazis/otherworlders/demons (obvs). Murdered: Soul Suspect. Outlast. Amnesia. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood (haven't played past that). I could go on.

I'm of course avoiding any games that don't take themselves seriously, like Saint's Row/Borderlands, or cartoony games like Mario. And this is just on my Steam list.

*Suikoden 3 is a notable example in this regard. From the outside, it looks like a guy who's willing to do anything to destroy a large area of the world, killing millions or something. But then you play the extra chapter from his perspective, and you see the lives that would save. Guess that extra chapter was the little thing I really liked about that game...I don't think it was even necessary to play to 'beat' the game, but it really added a lot to it. (even though 90% of it is you beating down everything in your way because, understandably, you are the last boss of a game).

Cleretic posted:

I think the problem isn't that there are so many that want to destroy/take over/gently caress over the world for selfish or megalomaniacal reasons, it's that there are so many that are bad at it.

This is true. Seeing Kefka succeed was actually really awesome, in a 'Holy poo poo he won?!' kind of awestruck way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, video game villains who aren't well-intentioned extremists are as rare as video game religions that aren't secretly evil all along or video game chancellors who don't betray the king or video game home bases that don't get invaded in the game's third act.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Morpheus posted:

Don't know if it counts as a 'little' thing, per se, but I love villains that have motivations beyond "Ho ho ho I am evil and/or crazy". I just beat Infamous: Second Son yesterday, and the fact that the villain of the game truly believes what's she's doing is right is awesome to me.

For those who don't care about spoilers:
Through this game (and it's pseudo-pre-expansion, First Light), you learn of the Department of Unified Protection (the DUP), and how its leader is locking up all the Conduits with special powers behind walls, doing so in a fairly authoritative manner. It looks like she's simply the 'evil authority figure', especially since you play a wise-cracking smalltown delinquent. But in the climactic finale, you discover the reason she's doing all this is for the Conduits' protection: in the years following the emergence of the Conduits, so many died from lynchings, from fear, and from the military. She, a former member of the military herself, made a choice that the only way to keep them safe was to keep them locked away from those who would seek to kill everyone 'different'. I don't agree with her methods, but her reasons behind them...I sympathized with what she was trying to do, and almost disagreed with what the hero of the game, a Hero of Justice in my playthrough, ended up doing (expose her and dissolve the DUP).

So much better than someone who's all "Mweheheh gonna lock you all up and torture you because EVIL!" *twirls mustache*.

What she does to Dhelsin's family is just straight up torture you because EVIL!, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, although the bit at the end was pretty well-done, for the most part I thought the game portrayed the DUP as pure evil, which is really strange considering that they're an anti-Conduit law enforcement branch created in response to thousands of people being murdered by a Conduit. It would have been really easy to make them sympathetic villains with that background but until the very end they're treated like mustache-twirling Nazis.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I'm just having fun with this. I have a box of old Playstation games and my Steam library open in another window for reference!

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, video game villains who aren't well-intentioned extremists are as rare

Expanding on Morpheus' list. I'm excluding dragons and demons and poo poo, although aliens with humanlike qualities (think Star Wars or Mass Effect) are included.

Knights of the Old Republic (any SW game really), Just Cause, Modern Warfare 1, 3 and Black Ops, all GTA games, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3

Also any villain whose main motive is 'revenge.' And there are a hell of a lot of those.

quote:

as video game religions that aren't secretly evil all along or

Elder Scrolls, Warcraft III (Kel'Thuzad's cult never pretended to be god guys, and the mainline not!Catholicism doesn't turn out to be evil, just kinda incompetent)

quote:

video game chancellors who don't betray the king or

Crusader Kings! ...Okay, you've got a point here.

quote:

video game home bases that don't get invaded in the game's third act.

Pretty much every Assassin's Creed game, with the exception of Brotherhood. Which barely counts, because it was your home base from II and it happened in the first hour of the game, and then you got another base that stayed safe.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Oxxidation posted:

Shinnok and Shao Kahn from the newer Mortal Kombat games, Vaas, Buck and Hoyt from Far Cry 3, that dragon (Alduin apparently) from Skyrim (along with a bunch of rear end in a top hat thieves and Thalmor from various quests), Deaths head from Wolfenstein TNO, the retarded loving cowboy villain from Hitman Absolution(and lots of other such people you kill), the various greasy politicians, militia leaders and corrupt cops from Max Payne 3, the crazy cult guy and ancient zombie queen from the new Tomb Raider, every bad guy Nathan Drake seems to go up against (particularly Lazarević), Dethmold in the Witcher, the Furies from God of War: ascension, Lucky Quinn in Watch_dogs, the Lord Regent, Delilah Copperspoon (and maybe the Outsider) in Dishonored etc etc.

There's plenty of other villains who have a self-evidently godawful ideology that will involve lots of innocent deaths, such as Armstrong from MGS: Revengence or Caesar from Fallout New Vegas, I don't think I'd describe them as well intentioned but they usually approach things from 'gotta break a few eggs to make a better world down the line (though that world will involve mass rape camps or violently removing the weak from society)', would they count 'well-intentioned extremist badguys' since they might think their end goals are good, even if no one else does?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
That Second Son thing is weird, because the first two games handled the idea of "gray morality" pretty well IMO. Most of the major characters end up not being 100% good or evil, with some exceptions like Moya and Bertrand, although the latter at least gets some explanation (You might be pissed too if everyone started getting superpowers and yours turned out to be "turn into giant ugly monster that spawns smaller ugly monsters") Also you could argue Cole isn't necessarily morally ambiguous given the nature of morality systems in games.

But you have villains like Kessler, an alternate future Cole who went back in time to create the evil villain for player!Cole that he never had, so that player!Cole will actually be ready for The Beast, The Beast who's trying to save people from being killed by a plague that can only be cured if they activate their Conduit Gene, at the expense of thousands of lives and then there's Lucy and Nix who for most of the game are 100% Good and Evil, respectively, but then when you make the final decision of the game, they switch sides. Lucy because the "Good" path means she'll die, and Nix because the "Evil" path means she won't get revenge on The Beast and because with all the normal humans dead, her powers won't be special any more.

On little things topic: In the Second Son mission where you first encounter Fetch, the mission starts off with you watching a newscast on a tv in the window of Cole McG's Electronics. Also in some alley somewhere, I don't remember where, I found a building with a neon Sly Cooper symbol over the door.

Indigo Cephalopods has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jul 27, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Yeah, although the bit at the end was pretty well-done, for the most part I thought the game portrayed the DUP as pure evil, which is really strange considering that they're an anti-Conduit law enforcement branch created in response to thousands of people being murdered by a Conduit. It would have been really easy to make them sympathetic villains with that background but until the very end they're treated like mustache-twirling Nazis.

Yeah, considering where the world was at after Infamous 2 its not that hard to believe there would be massive Anti-Conduit sentiment in the population. In the first game an entire major East coast city is almost completely destroyed with thousands of people dying because of the Ray Sphere and just general Conduit activities. Then in 2 the Beast completely destroys that and most other major cities on the East coast down to fake New Orleans. Which is then followed by the Good ending where Cole kills off a major percentage of the world's active and potential Conduits and since that's the whole world that has to be in the millions of people.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

khwarezm posted:

There's plenty of other villains who have a self-evidently godawful ideology that will involve lots of innocent deaths, such as Armstrong from MGS: Revengence or Caesar from Fallout New Vegas, I don't think I'd describe them as well intentioned but they usually approach things from 'gotta break a few eggs to make a better world down the line (though that world will involve mass rape camps or violently removing the weak from society)', would they count 'well-intentioned extremist badguys' since they might think their end goals are good, even if no one else does?

The omelette metaphor is so tired at this point. I roll my eyes whenever I hear a villain say it. It doesn't even really make sense because it assumes whole unfertilized eggs are a precious commodity if they aren't otherwise intended for eating, whereas "If you want to make a better world you have to kill millions of innocent people" doesn't really fit with that ideology. Just once I want someone in a piece of fiction to call out a villain for using that analogy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

The omelette metaphor is so tired at this point. I roll my eyes whenever I hear a villain say it. It doesn't even really make sense because it assumes whole unfertilized eggs are a precious commodity if they aren't otherwise intended for eating, whereas "If you want to make a better world you have to kill millions of innocent people" doesn't really fit with that ideology. Just once I want someone in a piece of fiction to call out a villain for using that analogy.

I always liked the alternate quote from The Thick of it, "if you want to make an omlette you're going to have to have a frank and honest discussion with the eggs"

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
One more Five Nights at Freddy's 4 little thing: in all the previous games, the animatronics have had four or less digits on their hands; in FNaF4, their nightmare versions have five. This is because the kid you play as had his head forced into "FredBear", which bit down on the kid's head, damaging his frontal lobes and sending him into a nightmare filled coma.

His abusive big brother and his friends had done it only to scare him before they realized they had gone too far. Thing is, while they were picking up the kid and teasing him, they were all wearing masks of the characters from the restaurant.

So the nightmare versions the animatronics he is hiding from the whole game are a blend of the animatronics he's terrified of (another phobia his brother liked to exploit) and his big brother and friends, the bullies who teased and tormented him. Considering his last memory was being grabbed, it makes sense the nightmares would have five fingers!

Incidentally, that last bit is why the nightmares have such prominent, sharp teeth and huge jaws, and why later that Fredbear (Golden Freddy) and variations of him seem to take over as the main antagonists. The final boss fight was over before the game even started. :smith:

There's a bunch of little details like that used to tell the story in this game, unlike the first which had clippings of hidden news articles that flat out told the backstory. The one that sets it apart from the other three is there's nothing really supernatural about it at all, it just happened to happen the same week of the murders. The Fredbear animatronic wasn't strictly at fault, and the stupid kids weren't trying to lobotomize anyone. Sometimes bad poo poo happens.

That's it for Freddy posts, I'm already stretching the definition of "little things". I don't think there is a thread for it and from what the internet shows me, I don't want there to be. I can't even watch the Let's Plays without turning down the volume and standing on the other end of a well-lit room. goddamn. :jiggled:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played through Saints Row 3 and this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdwbygnAc0

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

On little things topic: In the Second Son mission where you first encounter Fetch, the mission starts off with you watching a newscast on a tv in the window of Cole McG's Electronics. Also in some alley somewhere, I don't remember where, I found a building with a neon Sly Cooper symbol over the door.

Off-hand, I remember the law firm of Cooper and MacGrath (that's what you're referring to) and the ringtone for Delsin's phone being based off of the Sly Cooper theme (took me a while before I recognized it). The game apparently has a bunch of references like this. There's also some graffiti of the Cooper symbol somewhere.

Oh, and the PS4's controller's light changes color depending on how good/evil you are, which is a nice little touch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Oh, and the PS4's controller's light changes color depending on how good/evil you are, which is a nice little touch.

Huh. That's the first kind-of-clever use of that pointless feature I've heard of.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GrandpaPants posted:

I played through Saints Row 3 and this scene happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdwbygnAc0

Mandatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Tom Waits (as always) says it best:

quote:

Good can't help but do a little evil
And evil can't help but do a little good.

And then:

quote:

Who's that singin in the kitchen by the stooooove?
All aboard for the night train!
Ooh, they say the moon, it smells just like a CHER-RY BOMB.
C'mon hoooome, all is forgiven.
Everything costs.
Deliver us from evil and carry your own cross!

This may or may not be related to the first quote. Tom Waits is very mysterious.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

One more Five Nights at Freddy's 4 little thing: in all the previous games, the animatronics have had four or less digits on their hands; in FNaF4, their nightmare versions have five. This is because the kid you play as had his head forced into "FredBear", which bit down on the kid's head, damaging his frontal lobes and sending him into a nightmare filled coma.

His abusive big brother and his friends had done it only to scare him before they realized they had gone too far. Thing is, while they were picking up the kid and teasing him, they were all wearing masks of the characters from the restaurant.

So the nightmare versions the animatronics he is hiding from the whole game are a blend of the animatronics he's terrified of (another phobia his brother liked to exploit) and his big brother and friends, the bullies who teased and tormented him. Considering his last memory was being grabbed, it makes sense the nightmares would have five fingers!

Incidentally, that last bit is why the nightmares have such prominent, sharp teeth and huge jaws, and why later that Fredbear (Golden Freddy) and variations of him seem to take over as the main antagonists. The final boss fight was over before the game even started. :smith:

There's a bunch of little details like that used to tell the story in this game, unlike the first which had clippings of hidden news articles that flat out told the backstory. The one that sets it apart from the other three is there's nothing really supernatural about it at all, it just happened to happen the same week of the murders. The Fredbear animatronic wasn't strictly at fault, and the stupid kids weren't trying to lobotomize anyone. Sometimes bad poo poo happens.

That's it for Freddy posts, I'm already stretching the definition of "little things". I don't think there is a thread for it and from what the internet shows me, I don't want there to be. I can't even watch the Let's Plays without turning down the volume and standing on the other end of a well-lit room. goddamn. :jiggled:

Is there an LP of the game that does not have an annoying shrieking rear end in a top hat in the corner of the screen reacting like a bitchmade babyman to everything happening? I'm curious now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is there an LP of the game that does not have an annoying shrieking rear end in a top hat in the corner of the screen reacting like a bitchmade babyman to everything happening? I'm curious now.

Look up HarshlyCritical's stuff. He's got the face-cam thing going on, but his whole gimmick is he plays horror games like an actual adult instead of like a side-character in a Casper the Friendly Ghost short.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nobunaga from Samurai Warriors 4 is a fun example of a completely evil character who is ostensibly based on an historical figure. Basically every other faction leader in the game is fighting for peace, because of an alliance, or to "bring about a new era" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Nobunaga on the other hand doesn't seem to have any believable motivation and iis just committing atrocities to tempt his subordinates to turn on him. I don't remember what he was like in previous Samurai Warriors games but Cao Cao, the Dynasty Warriors version of him is a lot more believable.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Calaveron posted:

If you're talking about Markiplier, his for this is funny because he (like a lot of people) was expecting another twitch-fest, and this game is more about taking time to listen to important cues (and having stereo sound). Shining your light at the wrong time will actually get you killed. So he fumbles a bit until he finally catches on, and by a bit I mean "45 minutes".

He also hits himself in the throat during a scare in a cutscene! :haw:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Look up HarshlyCritical's stuff. He's got the face-cam thing going on, but his whole gimmick is he plays horror games like an actual adult instead of like a side-character in a Casper the Friendly Ghost short.

For a moment I felt hopeful but then I remembered this is not the same guy as Cr1tikal

EDIT: Thank god he's reading every bit of text out loud because I am illiterate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

For a moment I felt hopeful but then I remembered this is not the same guy as Cr1tikal

EDIT: Thank god he's reading every bit of text out loud because I am illiterate.

You asked for a dude that's not a shrieking moron and you got one

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You asked for a dude that's not a shrieking moron and you got one

Ok, let me rephrase. Is there a video of the game with absolutely no other type of human appearing either aurally or in a corner of the screen? Just the game, nothing else. Like a longplay, I guess.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
ManlyBadassHero was also pretty decent. He didn't yell at all, though he does read the text. Also no facecam.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Moon Monster posted:

Nobunaga from Samurai Warriors 4 is a fun example of a completely evil character who is ostensibly based on an historical figure. Basically every other faction leader in the game is fighting for peace, because of an alliance, or to "bring about a new era" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. Nobunaga on the other hand doesn't seem to have any believable motivation and iis just committing atrocities to tempt his subordinates to turn on him. I don't remember what he was like in previous Samurai Warriors games but Cao Cao, the Dynasty Warriors version of him is a lot more believable.

In 2 at least he was a cruel and detached "topple the old order" type with a plan, no qualms about the means and no intention to please anyone. Massacring villages was just efficient problem-solving.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Calaveron posted:

Ok, let me rephrase. Is there a video of the game with absolutely no other type of human appearing either aurally or in a corner of the screen? Just the game, nothing else. Like a longplay, I guess.

Yes, all you have to do to find these mysteriously hidden videos is type "no commentary" after the game's name on youtube.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, SW4 is basically a giant Flanderization of most of the historical characters, including Nobunaga himself.

Historical Nobunaga is such an awesome figure, though. Guy's treated with a lot of controversy because he broke so many "rules" of the ultraconservative mindset that governed Japan at the time. He brought in such revolutionary concepts as "foreigners just might have tech better than ours" and used a system of meritocracy instead of the typical dynasty politics of the time (which understandably angered a LOT of nobles who were born into positions of power and their future heirs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

There's another great part in that conversation where Snake mentions that Vamp was banging the commandant in the tanker chapter and when Raiden was like "Fortune's dad? I thought Fortune and Vamp were lovers. Ew," Snake just looks offended and says "Would it have been better if it was with her mother?"

In MGO, when the characters were tranquilized, they'd say things in their sleep. Usually it would be something they'd already said in the main game. Vamp's line, on the other hand, was about Raiden's package.

Right after you see the alien for the first time in Alien Isolation, you have to get on a tram while tense music plays. I wondered if the tense music was for nothing like before and waited around to see if the alien would actually show up and kill Ripley. It did. Another part early on, you come across a group of hostile survivors. I waited around a doorway and bonked all of them with my maintenance jack. Turns out if you leave them alive and sneak downstairs, you'll get a warning that the alien is in the area when you come back because they'll be screaming. Since I killed them all, I didn't know it was there until I peered over the ledge and saw it pacing around the lobby. Freaked me out a bit.