Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

lolmer posted:

The ChangeLog doesn't mention the bug # for easy tracking, but I mentioned the intermediate updates, e.g. 3.03B1-89 to 3.03B2-98 don't tell us what changed. You guys are getting better at ChangeLogs and at least have them for the full revisions (e.g. 3.0.2 -> 3.0.3) now, which is nice. :)

My ChangeLogs for Modderation: Permabanned often look like this, using files marked as "Release" on CurseForge:

So what changed? Who knows, it may fix a bug or not, but both CoFHLib 1.03B4-174 and 1.03-175 are (were, the B* named files which were marked as "R" appear removed now) marked as "Release" in CurseForge, but neither have ChangeLogs to know what changed. That's what I was referring to about no ChangeLogs. ;)

All changes made get rolled into the major log. 3.0.2 -> 3.0.3 includes every change made in every "B" revision along the way.

And if we release a new B, then it'll be under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Yeah. I dislike mods that let you get any resource through the same method, especially when they have so many pointless manual steps, and leave behind so many intermediate items. Plant the seeds, break the plants with a custom tool, then place those crystals and break them again with a custom tool, then place THOSE crystals into a machine that refines them, then finally place the result into a final machine that will produce your output with an unknown number of crystals.

Conceptually, it's just really bland. Make anything with crystals!... Just because. There are lots of ways to gather resources in MC, and many mods have their own unique take on it. Being able to get almost any important resource all through growing it from the ground even when it makes no sense is basically the bottom of the barrel from a design perspective. Unlike some other things that have Conceptually or thematically interesting steps, e.g. ore to dust to ingots with metals, which makes sense and adds an interesting progression, fluxed crystals just goes seeds to crystals to crystals to crystals to.... Anything.

Not only that but automating it is, depending on the step, either really annoying or not possible, at least with what ME4 gives you. So it's just a ton of busywork, where if you need a resource badly you basically just sit around waiting for it to grow so you can manually take it through all the steps, or leave and come back later and be really annoyed by all the steps it requires. On top of all that, the steps just leave you with a bunch of junk. You get shitloads of extra seeds which you don't need, then after all the refining processes you're left with a bunch of leftover crystals because each thing takes a different arbitrary number of crystals to "balance" it, instead of balancing with something like power consumption or growth speed.

And yeah, it's definitely not helped along by the grindy quests that ME4 added for it.

Minechem and magical crops have many of the same problems, but they at least don't have ALL of the flaws that fluxed crystals does. Generally I hate Minechem, but overall I feel like ME4's use of it was pretty good (except when you needed a ton of soul sand).

You don't harvest the chunks with a special tool, and if you right-click to harvest you don't get extra seeds. All the steps can be automated with autonomous activators and conduits with filters in the fixed version, with no manual interaction unless you're changing the farm's output. Also, growth speed *is* variable. Some crystals take much longer to grow than others. Power consumption is based on growth ticks so you could say the crystals that take longer to grow use more power?

But yeah I see what you're saying in general, there's no real reason why growing crystals results in resources, and you can wind up with extra bits if you stop farming one type without specifically waiting until it's used up all the shards. It is also kindof annoying to automate, since right-clicking the crystals sometimes drops the end result in addition to the chunk so you need to make sure the AA with the hammer doesn't open reward bags or something, and the first two steps drop items into the world so you need vacuum chests far enough apart they don't steal eachothers drops.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

McFrugal posted:

It is also kindof annoying to automate, since right-clicking the crystals sometimes drops the end result in addition to the chunk so you need to make sure the AA with the hammer doesn't open reward bags or something, and the first two steps drop items into the world so you need vacuum chests far enough apart they don't steal eachothers drops.

See this is inexcusable. There's zero reason that any mod should ever be actively difficult to automate, that's at least one entire axis of minecraft's progression. You start off doing something the 'hard way' and work up to doing it the 'easy' way. Having the 'easy' way be inexcusably finicky and lovely is silly. Expensive, even prohibitively so is fine, but at least behave elegantly when the player decides they're done with that part of your mod and wants to automate it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Anias posted:

See this is inexcusable. There's zero reason that any mod should ever be actively difficult to automate, that's at least one entire axis of minecraft's progression. You start off doing something the 'hard way' and work up to doing it the 'easy' way. Having the 'easy' way be inexcusably finicky and lovely is silly. Expensive, even prohibitively so is fine, but at least behave elegantly when the player decides they're done with that part of your mod and wants to automate it.

Well it DID have a farm manager block for easy automation but it was buggy enough that it wound up being disabled for the version in 1.0.4.

The guy behind Fluxed Crystals does not appear to be very good at coding.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What mod/plugin would I use to generate a map that players can view of the server? We're running Technic-Hexxit if that has influence on any thing

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kortel posted:

What mod/plugin would I use to generate a map that players can view of the server? We're running Technic-Hexxit if that has influence on any thing

Dynmap

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Thank you!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have a question.

I do not want to add much to Minecraft, but I want to make the game look as visually appealing as possible. I've seen graphics stuff that makes tree blocks sway in the wind, rain becomes foggy and intense, leaves puddles behind, and so on and so forth.

Is there a quick and easy guide out there to just make the game look really really pretty?

EDIT : I tried to load Forge, OptiFine, and ShadersMod but when I did it hosed up and I don't know why.

When I click any button the buttons become totally blank and I don't know how to fix it.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 25, 2015

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

khy posted:

I have a question.

I do not want to add much to Minecraft, but I want to make the game look as visually appealing as possible. I've seen graphics stuff that makes tree blocks sway in the wind, rain becomes foggy and intense, leaves puddles behind, and so on and so forth.

Is there a quick and easy guide out there to just make the game look really really pretty?
Honestly you can do some of that just with texture packs. In 1.8 they added the ability to turn practically every object into the game into a real 3D item. For example, the Default 3D pack does this - it includes swaying plants and 3D ores and tools/etc.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Little confused, do I use the Bukkit version or the Forge version? We don't use Forge unless Technic Launcher is forge?

Kortel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 25, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kortel posted:

Little confused, do I use the Bukkit version or the Forge version? We don't use Forge unless Technic Launcher is forge?

If you use a modpack you use Forge. The Forge version is a safe bet, just make sure you get the right one for the version of MC your pack is on.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Recently downloaded this again to play with a friend, been about 3 years and never really played it that much past vanilla. What are some good modpacks that have a nice balance of novel things to keep it interesting without overloading the complexity right away. I remember Hexxit being around but never played it, how is it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

goodness posted:

Recently downloaded this again to play with a friend, been about 3 years and never really played it that much past vanilla. What are some good modpacks that have a nice balance of novel things to keep it interesting without overloading the complexity right away. I remember Hexxit being around but never played it, how is it?

Well, if you're trying to learn technical stuff, there's always Rocko's own Baby's First Space Race in Technic.

I started playing mods with Hexxit. That's all about running around, adventuring. I eventually settled down to try to build an undersea dome in it and realized I didn't have the right tools.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I haven't played any recent updates to Baby's First Space Race but I have to say, it was the first time I actually enjoyed playing any of the technical mods in Minecraft, and actually finished the quest book in it. It's a great layout, and very easy and forgiving. Definitely a great starting point.

For magic on the other hand, Botania has a great book within the modpack that really gives you a great starting point to work from and the flowers can be quite useful.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Is anybody else also having trouble installing modpacks from TechnicLauncher? It seems whatever pack I try to install it gets stuck on the "Installing Minecraft Assets" stage at 0% or 1%, then either stops or crashes the launcher.

I googled the Technic forums, but all the people that posted there with a similar problem received no replies.

Logs? Here's some: http://pastebin.com/Bn0FV6QG

EDIT: fixed. Turns out avast was blocking the connection.

DawnOfMinstrel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 26, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
BFSR guy: While I'm thinking about modded minecraft (probably will go back to it when I finish terraria 1.3), I'd like to suggest the modpack include Redpower inspired mods like project red and redstone in motion... They're a regular staple of minecraft tech packs and I've never really learned how to use them.

Possibly because I'm the kind of guy who feels like to do a job right I have to do it myself and haven't even ever figured out how to use minefactoryreloaded to do animal farms properly, but eh.

As for learning modpacks, one for bees might also be good. I just went on a rant elsewhere about how gypped I feel about agrarian skies. And even in a cheating world it's loving obtuse. Like I try to do it in a way where I could theoretically accomplish it in another world knowing what to gather and crafting from there, but to begin I can't just craft the parts... I need hundreds of seeds and need to juice them? What?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acne Rain posted:

BFSR guy: While I'm thinking about modded minecraft (probably will go back to it when I finish terraria 1.3), I'd like to suggest the modpack include Redpower inspired mods like project red and redstone in motion... They're a regular staple of minecraft tech packs and I've never really learned how to use them.

Possibly because I'm the kind of guy who feels like to do a job right I have to do it myself and haven't even ever figured out how to use minefactoryreloaded to do animal farms properly, but eh.

As for learning modpacks, one for bees might also be good. I just went on a rant elsewhere about how gypped I feel about agrarian skies. And even in a cheating world it's loving obtuse. Like I try to do it in a way where I could theoretically accomplish it in another world knowing what to gather and crafting from there, but to begin I can't just craft the parts... I need hundreds of seeds and need to juice them? What?

drat... I don't even know how to do the Redpower stuff. That will be a problem.

I had pondered gendustry, but I have just found bees to be tedious. Agrarian Skies has that initial wall for getting any bees due to being a skyblock, but it makes up for it by generating new princesses in the industrial apiaries. Normally, that does not happen. You have to gather some princesses in the wild and mutate them with gendustry--crushing a small army of drones in the process--if you need princesses of the more advanced variety.

I believe there is a config option to make that happen in any mod pack, but nobody does it. So I would wind up with tutorial not applicable to when people migrate to some other pack.

(Does anybody actually enjoy the normal rules for bees?)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

(Does anybody actually enjoy bees?)

:cawg:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

(Does anybody actually enjoy the normal rules for bees?)

What is this word you are using? I don't understand...

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have just found bees to be tediou

Never forget this wisdom.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IMO the main problem is that bees just don't give anything worth the effort. IIRC vanilla forestry doesn't have ANYTHING particularly useful gotten via bees, and even with magic/extra bees or whatever, it takes a ton of breeding to get anything worthwhile like bees who make diamonds or whatever, and then if you want to automate that you have to make sure they're purebred then go through the trouble of setting up something that can actually automate itself for an extended period. It's easier to just get those resources on your own.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Bees is like magical crops but more boring somehow and without a cool armor set if you really grind it out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Good lordies--there should be a trigger warning in the OP about bees.

To flush out what I wrote earlier in response to Acne Rain, the Agrarian Skies process for working towards the bee goals has a one-time cost of setting up some skyblock-specific crap to get your first bees, but I think the initial rewards give you a good starter kit--if you didn't happen upon the random gift back full of bees already. I don't remember exactly how it went, but I just remember kind of giving that skyblock part a cursory nod and moving on. After that, it's easier to do bees in Agrarian Skies than normal mod packs.

Now the week or so of AS I was playing when I did the bees was when I was holed up in a hotel room with a sinus infection from a doomed trip, so it may have been the Sudafed telling me they were ... kind of okay in Agrarian Skies, but the process for using them was made much simpler. Getting the next bee up in a chain involved waiting for the current generation to produce you a spare princess. In normal beekeeping, they don't generate those spare princesses, so you have to bash some wild hives to get some spares to use. However, you have to first imprint them with the species gene you want to make them a princess you breed for your next target generation. So there you go to the gendustry sampler (IIRC), shoving drones from your current-generation hive into it, hoping it randomly selects for species. IIRC there are complications with that too since the current queen doesn't poo poo out drones forever in normal beekeeping. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about some of that. I tried to do beekeeping in mechaet's server form, like, 5 minutes before I realized what it would mean.

Now I know some people are starting to think magical crops makes things just a little too simple--especially on a server where you can use a chunk loader to accumulate resources in steps over the course of one day. Beekeeping could give an alternative if packs would adopt that AS configuration and have the apiaries generate princesses. Until then, I couldn't imagine making some quests from in BFSR because it would teach a methodology that isn't really legal out there. I guess I could do it with a big passive-aggressive note about how other mod packs should do that, but my life is too short for that madness.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the short version for bees is that Gendustry makes them tedious and completely not worth the trouble even if you already know what to do, but at least it's something you can do. Without Gendustry, bees are basically unplayable, because on top of all the insane tedium and random bullshit, there's a much smaller variety of bees, you have to roll the dice every time you try to make a new bee, and a failed roll sets you back a few generations.

gently caress bees.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Is there anything in forestry that people still like?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
One of my friends really likes bee/tree breeding and got super into it in a world we did a while ago.

That said, it's one of those things you do once and never again, because the first time it's fun for the exploration/discovery of things, every next time it seems to me it'd just be tedious at best.

Kinda like Thaumcraft research, really :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda liked having the beehives around but they don't make anything worthwhile. If they just made like, honey, and wax, which could be used to make healing potions and maybe candles/in the production of leather or something then it would be neat.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bigperm posted:

Is there anything in forestry that people still like?

The backpacks that automatically sort crap for you are p. nice.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Those backpacks are the only ones that will replace stuff in your hotbar if it gets too low. The other backpack mod that advertised doing that has the problem of only restocking when you pick up an item. So if you are not paying attention you will use up all the blocks in a stack and have to go into the backpack to set it back in your hotbar.

It's infuriating that nobody else has gotten that right yet

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

Those backpacks are the only ones that will replace stuff in your hotbar if it gets too low. The other backpack mod that advertised doing that has the problem of only restocking when you pick up an item. So if you are not paying attention you will use up all the blocks in a stack and have to go into the backpack to set it back in your hotbar.

Because that method requires checking every backpack on every player every tick, and it's unnecessarily laggy. Just use invtweaks to restock.

Iron backpacks does everything else forestry backpacks do, except way better, and you don't need bees to make the good ones.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

Yeah -- if someone made a dedicated backpack mod that basically did everything Forestry backpacks do (and added Ctrl-Click and Ctrl-Mousewheel support too!) then everyone on the planet could uninstall Forestry forever. That poo poo is too useful otherwise.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

About the only thing Forestry has that are worth half a poo poo are bees if you have Gendustry or something, and even then you run into the problem of "by the time bees are doing anything useful, you could have gotten way more via other methods." I kind of like Forestry ethanol production. It isn't as efficient as MFR biofuel production, but it makes up for it by being piss-easy to automate and only requiring one form of plant matter instead of nine.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't really have to go all-out nine inputs to get good efficiency on MFR biofuel. Five is fine, even four.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dartcraft had really useful backpacks.

My woman likes the bee stuff, I kinda like the tree stuff. You can end up with a giant orchard of different funky trees and get insane decoration options.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Dartcraft had really useful backpacks.

My woman likes the bee stuff, I kinda like the tree stuff. You can end up with a giant orchard of different funky trees and get insane decoration options.
Dartcraft really did have the best. You could filter and do all kinds of poo poo. Not the biggest fan of dartcraft, but it certainly offered a unique experience and that one aspect of it was nice. Some of the enchanting stuff was cool too.

These days my backpack solution is to lug around strongboxes and a TE satchel or two. When your inventory fills up load the junk to unload into a strongbox or things you want to keep around for later into a satchel. Good while mining early game (the strongbox thing) because you often don't have the materials for satchels.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sometimes I wonder if a Minecraft clone could be successful by nothing other than having a less painful inventory system. Seriously Minecraft's is just dumb as hell and mods that make it less bad only ever manage to accomplish that; less bad. Or hide the nice backpacks behind needless amounts of tedium.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any recommendations for a good lighter modpack? Thinking <100 mods. Me and my friends want to play again but mega packs like resonate rise killed some peoples computers and also the server. A mix between building/exploration would be preferred but I'm not sure how common that is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes I wonder if a Minecraft clone could be successful by nothing other than having a less painful inventory system. Seriously Minecraft's is just dumb as hell and mods that make it less bad only ever manage to accomplish that; less bad. Or hide the nice backpacks behind needless amounts of tedium.

No, because Minecraft pubbies enjoy pain. Gregtech being a popular mod is all the proof you need of that.

Sage Grimm posted:

Eh, Hexxit 2 is nice and all but I want updated Blightfall.

Aaaawww I just started playing Blightfall yesterday and I'm really digging it, am I going to have to start over in the extremely near future? It's a really neat idea, kind of like Agrarian skies but (hopefully) with less "submit 100,000 logs" levels of grindy nonsense, and fun+scary exploration. Doing the first scouting quest, to go sprint to the swamp, was absolutely horrifying when I had to run past a taint spore spawner and run for my life from the pink murder bees. I'm also actually really interested in the story, the idea of an entire planet that has been covered in blight is really cool, and so is the idea that there's some intelligent, malevolent entity behind the darker side of thaumcraft magic.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Xun posted:

Any recommendations for a good lighter modpack? Thinking <100 mods. Me and my friends want to play again but mega packs like resonate rise killed some peoples computers and also the server. A mix between building/exploration would be preferred but I'm not sure how common that is.

Modderation: FYAD has only 54 mods, mostly removing duplicate functionality mods from Modderation: Permabanned. Use the "Latest" version if you want FastCraft included in the client to help with slower machines. The server is at playmodd.moretoast.com:25567 with DynMap available, if you wish to join us. :)

This uses Alternate Terrain Generation (ATG), so the landscape is fairly nice, and a few mods (such as Ruins and Roguelike Dungeons) to give exploration a little more than vanilla, with Carpenter's Blocks, Chisel 2, and DecoCraft for building, among other mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Taffer posted:

Because that method requires checking every backpack on every player every tick, and it's unnecessarily laggy. Just use invtweaks to restock.

Iron backpacks does everything else forestry backpacks do, except way better, and you don't need bees to make the good ones.

There's no way that a method for checking if you are using the last block in a stack doesn't exist outside of on tick events, I refuse to accept that it's that badly programmed