Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

EasyEW posted:

Yup, but it pooped out around two years ago.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

My second discover weekly play list is as good as the first. If this keeps up it will be a great way to find new music.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

It's pretty amazing. I feared that it would be awful because about 50% of the music I listen to is classical, and any kind of automatic suggestion based on that would be horrifying, but it's mostly indie with some hiphop for me and that's exactly what I would have wanted.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have yet to get the discover weekly playlist. Dammit Spotify, I know I ain't paying you but could you bump my spot up already?!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mine hasn't updated for the week yet :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My Discover playlist recommended a song called "Ghost With a Boner", which makes it an unmitigated success as I have dramatically increased my knowledge of songs called "Ghost with a Boner".

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Mierenneuker posted:

I have yet to get the discover weekly playlist. Dammit Spotify, I know I ain't paying you but could you bump my spot up already?!

Im a paid customer and also dont have it. :(

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Me neither. Maybe it's a regional thing, since we're all from The Netherlands?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Clearly their playlist generator has problems parsing the sheer amount of gabber, schlager and symphonic metal we are feeding it.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Dutch dude here, same issue.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is it just me, or did they change the behavior of the space bar? It used to pause, now it scrolls down.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Turambar posted:

Me neither. Maybe it's a regional thing, since we're all from The Netherlands?

I'm stateside and I'm seeing it. And it really is pretty good... like "enough to make me switch back from Apple Music" good.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Are they gonna allow over 10k for the Saved Music stuff?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

me your dad posted:

Is it just me, or did they change the behavior of the space bar? It used to pause, now it scrolls down.

It's just you unless that's a recent implementation...

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

My Discover playlist recommended a song called "Ghost With a Boner", which makes it an unmitigated success as I have dramatically increased my knowledge of songs called "Ghost with a Boner".

mods re-name me ghost with a boner tia

I keep a playlist of new songs I add to on a monthly basis. I try not to have more than ten songs on there at any time, but the discovery playlist has thrown that rule away. Currently sitting at 37 songs and each of them a banger.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

emjayo posted:

mods re-name me ghost with a boner tia

I keep a playlist of new songs I add to on a monthly basis. I try not to have more than ten songs on there at any time, but the discovery playlist has thrown that rule away. Currently sitting at 37 songs and each of them a banger.

It's always hard to get people to listen to Diarrhea Planet...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Charlie Mopps posted:

Im a paid customer and also dont have it. :(

check under Discover

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

axolotl farmer posted:

check under Discover

Yep, you can get to it by going Browse -> Discover tab and it should be the first "Recommendation For You"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, it popped up for me in the past 24 hours. It also should be in the main playlist directory, where it dumps all the new playlists you follow.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Just tried Discover Weekly, and it's nice how specific some of the recommendations get. I think between that and just general performance, I'm going to go back to Spotify as my primary music player.

Question: Is there any way to change the playlist covers on Spotify? Apple Music has that feature, and no matter how minimal it is, I really like being able to do stuff like that.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
I like Discover Weekly just for the fact that my first playlist revealed how much lovely but catchy pseudo pop I'd been listening to. That triggered a bit of a cull of my playlists. Second playlist looks a bit better.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone else have this week's Discover Playlist repeat a lot of Week 2's? At one point I had to make sure it wasn't playing one of my playlists with all the poo poo I added from last week.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Hed posted:

Anyone else have this week's Discover Playlist repeat a lot of Week 2's? At one point I had to make sure it wasn't playing one of my playlists with all the poo poo I added from last week.

I don't have that particular problem though a lot of the music is from the same genre. Could it be possible that you're a fan of a very specific or small genre?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Paper With Lines posted:

I don't have that particular problem though a lot of the music is from the same genre. Could it be possible that you're a fan of a very specific or small genre?

I will have you know that blackened grindgaze has an extensive and storied history

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol. Pretty sure my phone app was in some half rear end refreshed state because they're all gone now.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Spotify really needs support for liner notes of some kind. That's one thing I miss from CDs.

For well genre collections, they're what makes them interesting and not just a bunch of songs stacked one after another. In some cases an album is completely useless without liner notes. For example "Songs in the Key of Z" is a really well curated collection of outsider music, but without the liner notes of all the research about the performances, it's just a bunch of weirdos making more or less unlistenable songs. Put them in context, and, well they're still not "good" good, but interesting and sometimes even moving.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I forgot all about liner notes. I like reading the biography of bands at least. Being into a ton of music prior to the internet becoming a huge thing, many bands were mysteries outside of their music. Now I can find out about bands I used to like but had very little knowledge about. I am aware I could have referenced Wikipedia prior to Spotify (and I often did) but sometimes I only think about a band when they play during shuffle.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

Spotify really needs support for liner notes of some kind. That's one thing I miss from CDs.

For well genre collections, they're what makes them interesting and not just a bunch of songs stacked one after another. In some cases an album is completely useless without liner notes. For example "Songs in the Key of Z" is a really well curated collection of outsider music, but without the liner notes of all the research about the performances, it's just a bunch of weirdos making more or less unlistenable songs. Put them in context, and, well they're still not "good" good, but interesting and sometimes even moving.
They won't every have liner notes, they gotta have some upside to buying physical mediums

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
There used to be a liner notes app which provided virtual CD booklets for albums, but there were never more than a dozen acts in it at any time. They were all major label big sellers, so no way in hell it ever came close to living up to its potential.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is Spotify still capped at 3,333 downloads on Android?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
For offline listening on mobile? Yes. Syncing local files is still unlimited.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Discover Weekly has decided that I really, really like bands that sound like Blink 182, Blur, and Jane's Addiction. About 80% of this week's playlist is songs that could easily pass for an obscure b-side from one of those bands.

Not sure where any of that came from. I was into the latter two bands about twenty years ago, but I haven't listened to anything similar in ages.

I wonder if it pulls recommendations from other people on the same family plan. My wife mostly listens to electronica (which is absent from my discover playlist), but I could see her getting into a 90's mood.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Does anyone know how Spotify is using Echo Nest or Seed Scientific? They bought two music analytics / data science companies in 2014 and 2015 and I'm a huge nerd that wants to know the technical specifics of what that means.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Analytic Engine posted:

Does anyone know how Spotify is using Echo Nest or Seed Scientific? They bought two music analytics / data science companies in 2014 and 2015 and I'm a huge nerd that wants to know the technical specifics of what that means.

Here's a cool article about how Spotify uses algorithms :
http://www.fastcompany.com/3049231/tech-forecast/inside-spotifys-plan-to-take-on-apple-music

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Anyone have any thoughts about Spotify's new privacy policy?

I'm not usually particularly bothered about this kind of thing, but wanting access to photos and contacts on your phone? Christ.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Can't wait for Marshmallow permissions. iOS already has some kind of case-by-case permission functionality iirc?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

cebrail posted:

Can't wait for Marshmallow permissions. iOS already has some kind of case-by-case permission functionality iirc?

Yeah, an app has to ask when it wants to use location services (GPS), your photo album, your camera and such. I don't think the current iteration of the iOS app has ever asked for any of those. It knows what country I am from but I assume that's because it's tied to my Spotify account.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Ah, okay. I didn't know they needed to prompt the user before actually accessing the things they say they're going to access in the new T&C. As long as I can say no, I guess it's fine for now.

Saying you might collect information on photos, media files and contacts on somebody's mobile phone is never going to go down well, though, even if you never actually do it. What's next, coming home to find a Spotify employee going through your bins so they can improve your Discover Weekly playlist?

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Assuming iOS will still allow you to permit this, then sky is not falling. Not sure how other devices are affected.

They are mad to whip up so much negative press - one month before people need to decide whether to cancel their Apple Music trials ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Their CEO has apologised and said it was just bad wording basically.

In an attempt to stop the backlash, Daniel Ek, the chief executive of Spotify, published a blogpost on the company’s website headlined: “Sorry”.

He wrote: “We are in the middle of rolling out new terms and conditions and privacy policy and they’ve caused a lot of confusion about what kind of information we access and what we do with it. We apologize for that. We should have done a better job in communicating what these policies mean and how any information you choose to share will – and will not – be used.”

Ek emphasised that users would be fully entitled to refuse to share information with users. “We will ask for your express permission before accessing any of this data – and we will only use it for specific purposes that will allow you to customize your Spotify experience,” he said.

The new terms of service relate to features that Spotify plans to introduce around personalisation and discovery. Recent new features include Spotify Running, which matches the BPM of music to the pace of a run, or Discover Weekly, which curates a weekly playlist based on user tastes.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/21/spotify-faces-user-backlash-over-new-privacy-policy

• Locked thread