Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
KDE 5 is basically Windows 10 except more consistent and better thought out

e: lol not KDE 4, KDE 4 is a trainwreck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i tried to write a thing to put a facebook calender in my gnome calender but i needed to spin up a vm to install just the right set of dev tools and testing it was a giant mystery and blindly 'make install'ing a slightly modified version to see if it was working in the vm seemed to have no effect and the tests shipped with the facebook integration api didn't pass by default and gently caress it all osx is nice

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol at compiling things from source that you use gentoo too?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

typically if i write software in c i need to compile it, yes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
why are you writing c code to interact with web apis, rather than using some language that is good at stuff like strings

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
you should consider node.js for your modern day-to-day programming needs. there is no need for an old dead grandpa language.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

you should consider node.js for your modern day-to-day programming needs

this is a good idea if you wholeheartedly subscribe to the unix principle of "worse is better"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
there is an unsettling amount of sysadmin poo poo in npm. not sure i like the implications of that

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

this is a good idea if you wholeheartedly subscribe to the unix principle of "worse is better"

i respectfully request that you desist from besmirching the unix philosophy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

KDE 5 is basically Windows 10 except more consistent and better thought out

e: lol not KDE 4, KDE 4 is a trainwreck

im not a comptuer professional and i dont understand kde. i did the apt-get install of it and its fuked up. the desktop is in a littlwe window. theres 3 dots next to the start button that i dont know what they do. also pressing the windows button isnt bound to pop up the windows menu clone nor can you bind it to do that natively and haveto make a script or something for it, which i copy pasted from ubuntu forums or something. overall, its really strange

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

why are you writing c code to interact with web apis, rather than using some language that is good at stuff like strings

all of the stuff in gnome to do with the service integrations appears to be in c

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

im not a comptuer professional and i dont understand kde. i did the apt-get install of it and its fuked up. the desktop is in a littlwe window. theres 3 dots next to the start button that i dont know what they do. also pressing the windows button isnt bound to pop up the windows menu clone nor can you bind it to do that natively and haveto make a script or something for it, which i copy pasted from ubuntu forums or something. overall, its really strange

when i used kde i was able to put the windows key opening the windows clone start menu

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
KDE 5 UX is terrible but it still seems better than Windows 10 lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
dont use kde

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

KDE 5 UX is terrible but it still seems better than Windows 10 lol

damning with faint praise

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

all of the stuff in gnome to do with the service integrations appears to be in c

huh, I'd have expected there to be other language bindings or something

not that I actually know anything about gnome 3 because the only place I use gnome is at work and we're still stuck on rhel5 lol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
you can do c or javascript or python

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Smythe posted:

It comes out of the box like garbage, alt+f2 is the default key for the launcher

I put fedora22+kde5 on a thinkpad and all of the function keys work correctly, it's not bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Roargasm posted:

It comes out of the box like garbage, alt+f2 is the default key for the launcher

I put fedora22+kde5 on a thinkpad and all of the function keys work correctly, it's not bad

my man havce you considered that its the WINDOWS START MENU KNOCKOFF and the WINDOWS KEY ISNT BOUND TO OPEN IT BY DEFAULT? What is the thinking here? It is so savagely retarded!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Super is supposed to do stuff that affects the entire desktop, Alt is for accessing menus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
is there going to be an argument that the windows key shouldnt open the windows menu? what reality am i living in?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Roargasm posted:

It comes out of the box like garbage

yep thats kde

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gnome isn't even recognizable as garbage

it's space turds left behind by a being of pure light

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

my man havce you considered that its the WINDOWS START MENU KNOCKOFF and the WINDOWS KEY ISNT BOUND TO OPEN IT BY DEFAULT? What is the thinking here? It is so savagely retarded!!!

alt f1 opens the menu

i don't know why

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Smythe posted:

It is so savagely retarded!!!

well kde users are retards so you see

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
GTK and gnome are poo poo. They never would have existed if trolltech would have just dual licensed QT to appease stallman or w/e.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Your Desktop Environment is a piece of poo poo.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Your Desktop Environment is a piece of poo poo.

I'll say

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

alt f1 opens the menu

i don't know why

because a bunch of assholes who write that poo poo own model m keyboards without super buttons

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
it's not a windows key, it's a a super key, mom.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

you can do c or javascript or python

yeah but i was trying to extend the existing facebook integration which only did contacts (i think?? i forgot) to add events

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

it's not a windows key, it's a a super key, mom.

my keyboard doesn't have either. it does however have separate alt and meta keys, and boy howdy is it a pain getting them to send the correct keysyms :spergin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

my keyboard doesn't have either. it does however have separate alt and meta keys, and boy howdy is it a pain getting them to send the correct keysyms :spergin:

ctrl-alt-meta-super-:frogout:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Here's a thought.

Why don't we just make computers easy to use for normal humans by removing the super and alt keys?

Tap ctrl to open the menu or something.

All this discussion makes me glad I just use vi and don't have to hit any special keys except esc.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
The world grew a little more sadder when the super keys and the menu key were released to the general public.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

celeron 300a posted:

Here's a thought.

Why don't we just make computers easy to use for normal humans by removing the super and alt keys?

computers will never be easy to use for normal humans until you can just talk to them normally and they understand you and do what you want

all that so-called "user-friendly" interfaces do is get in the way of people who understand computers, while leaving people who don't understand computers just as confused as they always were

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

computers will never be easy to use for normal humans until you can just talk to them normally and they understand you and do what you want

all that so-called "user-friendly" interfaces do is get in the way of people who understand computers, while leaving people who don't understand computers just as confused as they always were

:fap: oh that's good baby, now tell me again how if programmers learned how to properly optimize we'd all still be using pentium iiis :fap:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Soricidus posted:

they should make them easy like tv

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

:fap: oh that's good baby, now tell me again how if programmers learned how to properly optimize we'd all still be using pentium iiis :fap:

it's true though. the only people who get a boner for simplified/streamlined interfaces are ux nerds. ordinary people just want things to stay the same as what they learned, or preferably not to have to learn them in the first place. the worst thing you can do to an ordinary person is upgrade their software to a new "easier to use" version where things aren't in the same plaec any more.

also idk about p3's, maybe if you kept modern gpus so there would be something that could handle hd video decoding. certainly true that the habit of doing everything in js or python or whatever instead of writing in a compiled language like a grown-up has led to software getting exponentially slower without offering anything like exponential gains in usability or features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

also idk about p3's, maybe if you kept modern gpus so there would be something that could handle hd video decoding. certainly true that the habit of doing everything in js or python or whatever instead of writing in a compiled language like a grown-up has led to software getting exponentially slower without offering anything like exponential gains in usability or features.
theyre exponentially more usable for developers, who are the primary users of linux