Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

juliuspringle posted:

I caved and got the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3 today so I could be mad about the ending I mean finally play the third game. What dlc isn't included (not gonna bother with the multiplayer stuff) and does that poo poo ever go on sale because I don't want to give EA any more money than I have to to get ALL the stuff. Seriously, it's looking like story poo poo alone for 3 is going to cost like $20 or so.

Oh good you can save yourself a lot of money by not playing ME3.

Mass Effect 1
In: Bring Down the Sky - basically a prequel episode to ME2
Out: Pinnacle Station - really just a hoarde mode with leaderboards, not super critical

Mass Effect 2
In: Blood Dragon Armor, Kasumi character and her Stolen Memory, Project Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker. Also includes the Cerberus Network code that unlocks: Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed character and his The Price of Revenge, Cerberus Weapon and Armor. Arc Projector weapon, Firewalker Pack, Mass Effect: Genesis (comic / how to make story imports if you didn't play ME1).
Out: Probably some appearance packs and weapons? The only thing interesting is Arrival, and only because it's the prequel to ME3.

Mass Effect 3
In: Online Pass, The Extended Cut and all Multiplayer Maps.
Out: Uh. Citadel is the big wrapup party they should have had in the game instead of making you pay for it, so you might want that.

...really Lair of the Shadow Broken and Zaeed are the only necessary DLC items, and they're included. No clue about PlayStation sales. My recommendation is just play through all the content you got for 1-2, and if you're going to do 3, only buy the extra DLC after the end and play it in Free Roam mode. If you want to play it, it'll be worth the price. If you don't, you saved money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Oh good you can save yourself a lot of money by not playing ME3.

Mass Effect 1
In: Bring Down the Sky - basically a prequel episode to ME2
Out: Pinnacle Station - really just a hoarde mode with leaderboards, not super critical

Mass Effect 2
In: Blood Dragon Armor, Kasumi character and her Stolen Memory, Project Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker. Also includes the Cerberus Network code that unlocks: Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed character and his The Price of Revenge, Cerberus Weapon and Armor. Arc Projector weapon, Firewalker Pack, Mass Effect: Genesis (comic / how to make story imports if you didn't play ME1).
Out: Probably some appearance packs and weapons? The only thing interesting is Arrival, and only because it's the prequel to ME3.

Mass Effect 3
In: Online Pass, The Extended Cut and all Multiplayer Maps.
Out: Uh. Citadel is the big wrapup party they should have had in the game instead of making you pay for it, so you might want that.

...really Lair of the Shadow Broken and Zaeed are the only necessary DLC items, and they're included. No clue about PlayStation sales. My recommendation is just play through all the content you got for 1-2, and if you're going to do 3, only buy the extra DLC after the end and play it in Free Roam mode. If you want to play it, it'll be worth the price. If you don't, you saved money.

Thanks I had borrowed my friends copies of 1 and 2 back when they were new games on 360 and decided since I never played 3 I would just buy the trilogy since that was the only way to get the first one for ps3. Glad to hear you don't need Pinnacle Station since (from what I read earlier) the source copy was corrupted so you can't get it for PS3.

edit: Redid my math and I think story dlc for 3 is actually like $50 not $20.

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 24, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

Hard to believe this is a game for kids when I'm retrying the same fight four times in a row on normal.

The game is actually hard as balls. I had to stop halfway through since I nearly gave myself RSI in my fingers from straining the controller, but I was redoing fights all over the place.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

revdrkevind posted:

Leviathan in ME3 is pretty interesting as well, since it actually tries to give some background as where the reapers came from.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
All the Skyrim talk reminds me - is there a good resource anywhere to help someone today get into the first two Elder Scrolls games?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Okonner posted:

All the Skyrim talk reminds me - is there a good resource anywhere to help someone today get into the first two Elder Scrolls games?

This and this were helpful to me when starting Daggerfall. Theres a short wiki entry, too.

Here and here are some resources for aspiring Arena players.

If for some strange reason you can't make it through TES 1, you can get the gist of it by reading the pretty good in-game short story, The Real Barenziah, which at one point starts to run parallel to the plot of the first game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

I caved and got the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3 today so I could be mad about the ending I mean finally play the third game. What dlc isn't included (not gonna bother with the multiplayer stuff) and does that poo poo ever go on sale because I don't want to give EA any more money than I have to to get ALL the stuff. Seriously, it's looking like story poo poo alone for 3 is going to cost like $20 or so.

You get all the important stuff for ME1 and ME2. The main story DLCs for ME3 are From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega, and Citadel. From Ashes was included with the original ME3 package and it would be pretty lovely if it wasn't in the package. But honestly the character you get from it is kind of boring and it removes the mystique surrounding the Protheans. Leviathan is kind of eh. It's really short, doesn't have much to it, and again it removes the air of mystery surrounding the story. This time it's the Reaper's origin which is just really lame hearing it described.

Omega is legitimately good, basically being a really long and action packed mission. I'd get it if you liked Aria's character in ME2. Now Citadel is really fun, it's basically a sitcom television reunion special that's humorous and irreverent. If you only get one DLC make it Citadel.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yip Yips posted:

I've never played Skyrim. What's the most fun class (alternatively what boring class should I avoid) and are there any mods that are no-brainer must haves? I don't want to go crazy with modding right off the bat but if there's stuff that makes the game not crash or seriously improves quality of life like the inventory sorters in Fallout I'm all ears.

I'm a bit late, but what the hell. Although there are no 'classes', the game tends to push you towards sword 'n' board fighter, archer, or sneak-er. Magic is a tad weak, although it's still very doable at the default difficulty, which is actually fairly easy. Pure craftsman is not viable, although armorer-fighter is good, and enchanter-nuker is insane.

If you are going magic, especially Destruction, get a spell mod. My favorite is "Apocalypse Magic", available through Steam Workshop.

Alchemy is awesome and everyone should do it.

Here's my #1 advice: if you are going in Armorer or Enchanting, just use a console command to give yourself skillpoints. You can craft iron daggers until your fingers fall off, or you can hit tilde and type player.advskill armorer 1000. The result is the exact same except that you've gotten back four hours of your life (which you'll waste playing Skyrim).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gerblyn posted:

Leviathan in ME3 is pretty interesting as well, since it actually tries to give some background as where the reapers came from.
I thought explaining the Reapers was one of the big mistakes of ME3, and nothing in Leviathan convinced me otherwise.

From Ashes was cool, since the new character is interesting and plays with the expectations of what the Protheans were like. Omega felt like an exercise in indulging a writer's pet character, but if you like Aria it might be worth a look. Citadel is a set of fun bonus stuff that is a great way to wrap up the series.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Thanks for the Skyrim talk all!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

From Ashes was cool, since the new character is interesting and plays with the expectations of what the Protheans were like. Omega felt like an exercise in indulging a writer's pet character, but if you like Aria it might be worth a look. Citadel is a set of fun bonus stuff that is a great way to wrap up the series.

The best reason to get Omega is because after you clear it you can equip Flare, and become a nuclear biotic death God.

I do kind of agree about explaining the reapers, though on the other hand, if they'd never been explained at all it would have felt like the biggest case of blue balls in gaming history, so I can see why they tried.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Something that's probably worth adding to the wiki about:

Grim Fandango

Clicking on an interactable object forces you to walk to it, but holding down Shift allows you to run, which will save you quite a bit of time through the game.

If you want the tank controls achievement, you have to switch the control scheme before you start the game.

Quest for Glory 4
Clicking the hand icon on trees in the forest gives you a text description of the hero climbing them to look around. This gives you a bit of information about the surrounding area, but more importantly - it allows you to train your climbing skills without a lengthy animation.

You fully recover your stats if you "sleep through the night" even if dawn is only minutes away. Handy for when you're training / on the first day, when you can just about make it to Erana's garden before dawn.

Sleep a few times at Erana's garden / the staff in the middle of town to get a bit of background info.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm considering getting Way of the Samurai 4, which just came out on PC. Hot tips appreciated.

Edit: n/m, found the page at http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Way_of_the_Samurai_4

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 26, 2015

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I bought Atelier Rorona Plus in the Big in Japan sale last month. There's a page on beforeiplay about the original version of Rorona, does the advice on that page still apply to the plus version? And if not, what should I be aware of? Also, I have played the Dusk trilogy, so Atelier games aren't new to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gerblyn posted:

The best reason to get Omega is because after you clear it you can equip Flare, and become a nuclear biotic death God.

I do kind of agree about explaining the reapers, though on the other hand, if they'd never been explained at all it would have felt like the biggest case of blue balls in gaming history, so I can see why they tried.

Origin story aside, Leviathan is just a cool DLC with a good length and awesome environments. It also has full voice acting from squadmates so it feels more well integrated than most other DLC. It's definitely much better than Omega for the price, which I found to be kinda bland and totally skippable.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Persona Q? I know i saw somebody leave tips for it way earlier in the thread but they aren't in on the wiki as of yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

give naoto impure reach. have her use instant death spells

panic is overpowered, since nothing is immune and stagnant air can prolong it. since panic makes all your attacks hit, combine it with the low accuracy high damage myriad blades

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

From Ashes was cool, since the new character ancient race of superbeings is interesting revealed to be Rastafarians and plays with the expectations of what the Protheans were like that would be laughably terrible except you actually have to pay EA to insult you like this.

FTFY.

I stand by my statement to just play through ME3 first. Whether you're going to like the DLC hinges largely on whether you finish the game and think you'd be okay paying for more.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm considering getting Way of the Samurai 4, which just came out on PC. Hot tips appreciated.

Edit: n/m, found the page at http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Way_of_the_Samurai_4

To add to that, don't be afraid to start on easy. Without a decently upgraded sword, a lot of enemies are going to be walls of HP otherwise. And it doesn't hurt to have weapon styles upgraded to have a toughness feat going into higher difficulties, either.

On higher difficulties enemies and especially the more prominent NPCs will drop better weapons, but good luck getting to or defeating them without a lot of frustration without kitting yourself up a bit first.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

give naoto impure reach. have her use instant death spells

panic is overpowered, since nothing is immune and stagnant air can prolong it. since panic makes all your attacks hit, combine it with the low accuracy high damage myriad blades

Do I need to level up characters equally or can I just use my favourites?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

No, I don't think you did.

quote:

I stand by my statement to just play through ME3 first. Whether you're going to like the DLC hinges largely on whether you finish the game and think you'd be okay paying for more.

It works okay for the other DLC but since From Ashes' content is spread throughout the game you'd need to replay the whole game to see it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 28, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hadji murad posted:

use your favorites, the sub persona system mean characters are fairly interchangeable and you'd never need a specific character

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
What should I know about Arx Fatalis? Someone told me to install Arx Libertatis, which I did, and the wiki has some info on not missing out on some stones or whatever, but I'm looking more for basic "where do I put my starting stat points" kinda stuff.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I strongly recommend a magic character build for Arx Fatalis because spells are so powerful in the game. I tried to beat the game twice as a standard melee build and hit the wall hard once the end game enemies appeared, whereas my magic run was a breeze. The thing about magic in this game is that it lets you do EVERYTHING that a stealth and melee build can do; the Bless spell can raise your stats enough so that you can thief around and meet the strength requirements to wear the best armor and weapons (which won't de-equip once the spell wears off). Additionally, thorough exploration of the world depends on certain spells like levitate, and there's only a limited amount of scrolls for non-mage types. Combat later becomes a joke with the right spells, my favorite combo was to cast a spell that causes enemies to implode then cast invisibility which causes them to look helplessly around before turning into gibs.

Anyway, putting points into Intelligence and Casting is the straightforward way to be a mage. Pumping Intelligence will increase the complementary mage skills so points put into that stat will never go to waste (in fact I only put points into Intelligence and did fine). Spell Casting should be your focused skill because it affects the power of your spells. Ethereal Link gives you a slight increase in mana regen but isn't that super important. Object Knowledge is nice, though, because it allows you to make potions as well as identifies gear.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I got Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and I'm going to try Birth By Sleep for the first time. How's the battle system? It just kinda looks like the I and II system with some boost meter added to it. Any tips and other things I should know before I start?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flame112 posted:

What should I know about Arx Fatalis? Someone told me to install Arx Libertatis, which I did, and the wiki has some info on not missing out on some stones or whatever, but I'm looking more for basic "where do I put my starting stat points" kinda stuff.

If you see an item in your travels called Akbaa stone then pick it up and never let go. They are required to beat the game and are scattered across the world. My first time playing I left it somewhere, it probably disappeared forever, and I was stuck staring at the door to the final boss. What Moot said is all good advice, magic is loving awesome in this game.

But don't drop those stones, for reals.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

hadji murad posted:

You unlock something important by levelling up both protagonists but that's all.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

I got Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and I'm going to try Birth By Sleep for the first time. How's the battle system? It just kinda looks like the I and II system with some boost meter added to it. Any tips and other things I should know before I start?

A few things I picked up from watching streams:

* Aqua is considered a bit harder than the other two characters, since she is more squishy and magic based. Consider saving her run for second or third, when you have some practice.
* ShotLocks get silly good after not too long. These are your "Oh poo poo/gently caress it" buttons and can make even bosses much easier.
* Abilities in your command deck get better as you use them. You may want to consider having a "normal questing" deck for an area and build specific decks for bosses if you are having a hard time (f.inst a fire deck against a fire-weak boss etc).
* Using different abilities on enemies fills up your focus meter, which lets you use more powerful finishing moves. It fills pretty quick, so use liberally.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 28, 2015

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there any reason to buy any of the weapon/armor packs for Mass Effect 2 (or 3, haven't played it yet but I remember 2 being fine without extras so I feel like 3 is probably the same way)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Is there any reason to buy any of the weapon/armor packs for Mass Effect 2 (or 3, haven't played it yet but I remember 2 being fine without extras so I feel like 3 is probably the same way)

If you really, really want to play dress up, or want an unnecessarily large range of options for equipment.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If you really, really want to play dress up, or want an unnecessarily large range of options for equipment.

I kind of do but I feel like it might be one of those things were it's only good right at the start but gets outclassed quickly by ingame stuff I didn't spend real money on (not counting what I paid for the game).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

juliuspringle posted:

I kind of do but I feel like it might be one of those things were it's only good right at the start but gets outclassed quickly by ingame stuff I didn't spend real money on (not counting what I paid for the game).

Get the Terminus Armor and Block Hole Projector. The armor's great the whole way through, and the Black Hole Projector is obscenely satisfying.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

The DLC gear is generally pretty powerful, so at least you don't run the risk of feeling like your are gimping yourself by using it. The downside is that the armors are usually armorsets, meaning you have to wear the entire suit or none of it. The exception is the Aegis pack for ME2, which comes as five individual pieces and the helmets in ME3.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything of interest about Betrayer?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moot the hopple posted:

I strongly recommend a magic character build for Arx Fatalis because spells are so powerful in the game. I tried to beat the game twice as a standard melee build and hit the wall hard once the end game enemies appeared, whereas my magic run was a breeze.

Also, haste stacks. I don't remember if splattering yourself by running at 0.1 light speed against a wall is a thing, but it's fun.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

It's not very good, don't play it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Xander77 posted:

play the first area/hub/whatever and quit because it still seems interesting at that point then it's the exact same poo poo for another eight hours

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone posted in the thread a while ago about what you need to do to get the best ending in Bloodborne, but I can't find it now and there's now wiki entry for the game. Can someone give me the quick spoiler-free version of what to do or not do for it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone posted in the thread a while ago about what you need to do to get the best ending in Bloodborne, but I can't find it now and there's now wiki entry for the game. Can someone give me the quick spoiler-free version of what to do or not do for it?

Yeah I did awhile back. The spoiler-free version is don't kill any NPCs you don't have to and try to meet and rescue all the NPCs you can.
Which you should already kinda be trying to do if you've played other souls games.

The minor spoiler version is: Don't kill Iosefka in the clinic, or at least rescue Arianna first.

Its not an issue if you haven't gotten to the Forest yet, don't worry about it. But once you get about halfway through the game you can do some things that would gently caress you out of the good ending, which is what I accidentally did on my first run. :smith:

More spoilers: If you do the thing that makes it so you don't get the good ending, you do get a really, really good rune but its not worth it. You can get both if you rescue Arianna first but you have to make sure you do that before you do the other thing.

Then at the end of the game you just need to make sure you... spoiler: eat the 3 umbilical cords before you face the final encounter. Its pretty obvious when you're at the end what you need to do, as long as you haven't hosed yourself out of being able to do it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a Baby Idiot's guide to Don't Starve stashed away? A lot of the stuff I've found, the wiki included, assumes you're already familiar with the game. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do other than hack down trees and get in fights with spiders, so I tend to end up dead a couple of nights in.