Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

crunk dork posted:

ICND2 scheduled for the 14th... have been hitting 75%+ on practice exams. I feel like I still have a lot of knowledge lacking for some reason though, but apparently its good enough!

That's what I was getting on them before I went in for the first time. My problem now is as I go back through Lammle's book and the Nuggets I feel like I know pretty much everything being put out. Second attempts on the 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm looking through jobs and I'm finding my certifications are being overlooked for lack of job experience. I'm 3 months shy of 2 years at a small msp, wearer of all hats IT work, and I can't get a response out of job openings above 'help desk'.

I've got comptia N+ and CCNA R&S. I'm looking at the CCNA security, but is another cert going to help if I'm still only at 2 years non-specific experience?

My other option is to start down the CISSP route and settle in at my current job for the months it will take me to complete it. Anybody do CISSP through self-study and pass?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Just a CCENT was enough for me to get a bunch of responses for NOC jobs from recruiters and callbacks from direct hire job applications I put in, so I dunno what to tell you there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm looking through jobs and I'm finding my certifications are being overlooked for lack of job experience. I'm 3 months shy of 2 years at a small msp, wearer of all hats IT work, and I can't get a response out of job openings above 'help desk'.

I've got comptia N+ and CCNA R&S. I'm looking at the CCNA security, but is another cert going to help if I'm still only at 2 years non-specific experience?

My other option is to start down the CISSP route and settle in at my current job for the months it will take me to complete it. Anybody do CISSP through self-study and pass?
Unfortunately you still need 4-5 years of verifiable security work even if you pass the CISSP to earn the certification, otherwise you'll be made an "Associate of (ISC)²".

Experience will almost always trump certifications and even college degrees but just keep hammering away, especially at small firms. Depending on the local market you should be able to get interviews for junior networking or maybe junior sysadmin work if it interests you. Always use recruiters. They help a ton.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody with experience in the certified ethical hacking cert? Is it a pain to get, and does it make an impact on your employment value (higher pay or more job offers)?

I'm worried it's a no-name cert that won't actually help my resume.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Going for my Sec+ tomorrow, not expecting much of a challenge. Then its off to completing my ICND2!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

MCSA without any experience would be very difficult. It wouldn't hurt to have one of the three tests so you can claim to be an MCP.

So if I just pass one of the MCSA tests but don't do them all to earn an MCSA, I become MCP certified?

.. Which is the easiest WIndows 7 MCSA test? 70-680 or 70-685?

I am in between jobs right now so if MCP is something I can reasonably add to my resume within two weeks I feel like I should go for it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Meta Ridley posted:

So if I just pass one of the MCSA tests but don't do them all to earn an MCSA, I become MCP certified?

.. Which is the easiest WIndows 7 MCSA test? 70-680 or 70-685?

I am in between jobs right now so if MCP is something I can reasonably add to my resume within two weeks I feel like I should go for it.
Yes, a pass on a single test that's part of a package of tests that would get you MCSA does get you MCP (and MCTS I think).

I had an easier time with the 70-680. Tried twice (once with their free retake) to pass the 685 exam and failed both times. Decided not to try a third time.

I don't know about both within two weeks unless you are very familiar with the command line methods of BranchCache and Direct Connect (and who isn't?). For just the 70-680, maybe, but keep in mind Microsoft exams are notoriously picky. The 680 is one of the easiest ones that'll get you MCP, but it's not like a CompTIA exam or something. Depends on how familiar you are with the material already.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 26, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Im tired of dumping my resume(s) into a void. its time to get a cert! Im aiming for the N10-006. its new so I'll have plenty of time to study.

STUDY MATERIALS

1. CBT Nuggets N10-006 course with Keith Barker
2. Professor Messer's N10-006 YouTube videos
3. Mike Meyer's Network+ All-In-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition
4. Todd Lammle's Sybex Network+ Deluxe Study Guide: Exam N10-006
5. Pearson's CompTIA Network+ N10-006 Cert Guide, by Keith Barker and Kevin Wallace (Standard Version)

Now, you might be saying "isn't that a little bit overkill, Race Realists?"

no because im dumb as poo poo and will forget all of it come test day

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
That is definitely overkill for that cert.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I get that you don't feel super confident, but doubling all of those resources isn't going to help you retain it better... You'd be fine with just Professor Messer and the Mike Meyers book honestly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'd recommend spending some of that money on practice tests instead. I'm partial to the Mike Meyer's ones you can buy off his website. It's $75 for the N10-006 practice tests, but it comes with 950 questions and you get to read his bad jokes

I really love that guy, his big dumb hat, and his folksy Texas ways.

Folks.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Passed the Security+ exam! It wasn't too bad, but some of those questions are incredibly subjective. The perfect CompTIA mix of too easy and overly nit-picking.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I get that you don't feel super confident, but doubling all of those resources isn't going to help you retain it better... You'd be fine with just Professor Messer and the Mike Meyers book honestly.

you might certainly be right.

Has anyone here took the N10-006? Is it harder than 005? (felt like I've asked this before)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Professor Messer and the Lammle or whatever else book will be fine for the N+. I don't know if they still have a huge boner for the OSI model or not but I'd remember that and how to subnet and you will be fine.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I took it two years ago and yeah the osi model is huge. Also be sure to know every acronym under the sun, a good portion is just testing if you know what three letter acronyms are associated with another three letter acronym.

Subnetting not so much, they don't really make you do work to pass.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
For CCNA R&S books, it's still pretty much a toss-up / personal preference between Lammle and Odom, right?

I'm leaning toward Odom's since he's got them split into two separate books.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Lammle tends to be less toast-dry than Odom, but the material is good on both sides :)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend a method or resources for practicing ACLs? NX-OS specifically. I'm having a difficult time memorizing the parameters.

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Welp, I got my Security+ cert. Now somebody give me an interview so I can get out of this lovely job.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I forgot I had my second 70-410 today. I hadnt even opened the book since I failed it the first time ~2 months ago. I couldnt reschedule cos i missed the 24 hour cutoff.

I'm pretty bummed. I've been doing this stuff for ages and the only cert I have is ancient.

I don't know how I'm going to muster the discipline and motivation to rebook and re-study.

Edit - in case it wasnt clear from my malaise, I failed again.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Swink posted:

I forgot I had my second 70-410 today. I hadnt even opened the book since I failed it the first time ~2 months ago. I couldnt reschedule cos i missed the 24 hour cutoff.

I'm pretty bummed. I've been doing this stuff for ages and the only cert I have is ancient.

I don't know how I'm going to muster the discipline and motivation to rebook and re-study.

It sucks but you're in good company. Those tests are pretty brutal depending on your actual hands-on experience.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Anyone know of any good practice tests for the VCP-NV? I did my course like a month ago but the soonest I could get an exam is this friday and most of it has filtered out of my brain, help

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Swink posted:

I work with a guy who has been in it for decades and he still failed that test.

Goldie The Mack
Nov 25, 2005

Go on and stick yo' seff

Ashley Madison posted:

Can anyone recommend a method or resources for practicing ACLs? NX-OS specifically. I'm having a difficult time memorizing the parameters.

VIRL has NX-OS support, but I've heard it's a pain to setup.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Eschatos posted:

Welp, I got my Security+ cert. Now somebody give me an interview so I can get out of this lovely job.

Congrats! What resources did you use and how long did it take?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Has anyone ever used TrainingCamp.com?

I've read through the Shonn Harris and Eric Conrad books and I'm pretty familiar with all the CISSP material from self-study but in an effort to force me to take the exam my employer wants to send me to the 6-day bootcamp that ends with sitting the exam. How do they compare with SANS or InfoSec Institute? SANS obviously has an enormous reputation but they're also much more expensive and don't provide the exam at the end.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Congrats! What resources did you use and how long did it take?

I began with just an all in one study guide, then started the aforementioned poo poo job, which paid for a pretty crap online course(like the same questions repeated three times in a 20 question quiz crap). At least it came with a dozen legit practice tests.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I finally picked up my 1st non-desktop cert after over 10 years of doing desktop admin of some sort for the past 10 years! I'm going through WGU and just took the N10-006.

I didn't do that great, 764 when I needed a 720, but whatever, it's a pass. I used the UCertify materials that WGU provides (parts of which were really, really awful), Mike Meyer's book, and some of Professor Messer's materials.

I feel like half of the ones I think I missed were something I saw and forgot, and the other half were things I don't think I saw in any of the material. I distinctly remember there was one asking what the best type of fire suppressant is for a server room, and that was covered nowhere (other than saying that you should have a fire suppressant system). I also memorized all of those cable types and port numbers for nothing, I think there were maybe two to three questions that needed that information. Ditto for all of the SCADA industrial systems they added to the N10-006, I saw absolutely nothing from that material. Very annoying.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

CapMoron posted:

I feel like half of the ones I think I missed were something I saw and forgot, and the other half were things I don't think I saw in any of the material. I distinctly remember there was one asking what the best type of fire suppressant is for a server room, and that was covered nowhere (other than saying that you should have a fire suppressant system). I also memorized all of those cable types and port numbers for nothing, I think there were maybe two to three questions that needed that information. Ditto for all of the SCADA industrial systems they added to the N10-006, I saw absolutely nothing from that material. Very annoying.

okay see poo poo like this scares me into not wanting to take the test

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

Race Realists posted:

same especially when i have the WGU learning material as well :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Concerns like that are going to be true of basically any certification exam (and much much worse for, say, Microsoft's), and CompTIA's are honestly nothing to be scared of. Give them a month, with a couple of hours each day of studying, with a good book and Professor Messer videos, and I don't think anyone that works in IT (or wants to) should have much trouble.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i had heard 006 was just a bit harder than 005. i don't know if that's on account of it being relatively new or what

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Race Realists posted:

Jesus loving christ why is Net+ asking about fire suppression and SCADA?

I want to get some CompTIA certs because they should be super-easy with my technical knowledge, but then they're gonna ask me the pinout of a loving floppy drive or something.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Nothing Exists for CASP, other than a drat book.

All I want to do is get IAT III out of the way so I can keep going on Cisco.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Crunchtime posted:

same especially when i have the WGU learning material as well :(

It wasn't a *complete* loss, some of the Ucertify written material wasn't bad (although the people they have doing the videos are painfully odd). The practice tests weren't bad either.

The Exercises and Labs were godawful though. The "Exercises" are, no poo poo, basically asking to type, verbatim, exactly what you read in part of the chapter. For example, they will give you a physical topology, and then give you free-form text boxes to fill in parts of a cons/pros type of chart that you saw in the chapter. Unless you type in exactly what you read (which is usually a paragraph or more), exactly as it was written in the chapter, punctuation and all, you'll get the question wrong. Even better, the chart is a graphic, so you can't cut and paste. After seeing that, there was no loving way I was going to bother.

The Labs were pretty bad too. First issue, the labs that were for the chapter would cover material that was not in the chapter. Either It was covered in a chapter I hadn't gotten to yet, or not covered in the material at all. For example, there was a section asking you to match up cable types with their uses. Some of the cable types were coaxial types RG-8, RG-9, and RG-11. I couldn't find these anywhere in the course. Not to mention they aren't in the exam objectives anyway. On top of that many of the simulations were created by someone who clearly was not a native English speaker, and had unclear instructions or were just straight up not able to be completed because they didn't mention a step, etc.

I reported all of this to the WGU course mentors, who had me escalate it to the learning resources team, who said they would look into it. I haven't heard anything since (this was a couple of weeks ago). I more or less hosed off to my own choice of materials, and only used UCertify to verify some things and for the exams. I was only at 65%ish complete on the UCertify stuff when they course mentors want you to be 90%. Thankfully my student mentor only cared that I scored a 90% on the post-assessment in UCertify and got me the voucher.

Inspector_666 posted:

Jesus loving christ why is Net+ asking about fire suppression and SCADA?

I want to get some CompTIA certs because they should be super-easy with my technical knowledge, but then they're gonna ask me the pinout of a loving floppy drive or something.

I know, I got to the chapter in the Mike Meyer's book about SCADA stuff, and I was pretty much like...I am never going to use this. Most of the Network+ materials do mention that it is a good idea to have a fire suppression system, but do not go in to the specifics of what kind of retardant to use.

The things that I did memorize/learn prominently that did come up more than once were the TIA/EIA 568 wiring standards (both A and B came up), and there was a big subnetting simulation question so I'm glad I got those things down.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I want to say I remember seeing something at the beginning of the test when I took the 801 and 802 that said there would be some questions involving material that wasn't on the objectives that may not be counted towards the overall score? I wish I could remember the exact wording, but they used them as control questions or something. Does anyone else remember seeing anything like that in the preamble before you take the test, or am I remembering way wrong?

I remember seeing a couple things that weren't necessarily covered in the objectives, but it didn't seem like anything that would kill your score unless you're already struggling. I do know the Exam Cram books cover a few things that aren't on the objectives, because they mention there may be questions like that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Seeing the talk on the N10-006 uCertify stuff for WGU makes me glad I decided to stay with N10-005 material. Labsim can be dumb sometimes but it's still cool for what it offers The dumbest thing is the big practice exam there requires a 95% score.

Hoping to take it soon, and hoping the exam itself doesn't gently caress me with some stuff...

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Just went ahead and bought the mike meyers book. I have about 30 days left in the semester so i should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So what you guys are saying is to get off my loving rear end and take the Net+ N005 while it's still available.