Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

In 2002, Insomniac Games released a game called Ratchet and Clank. It boasted a game with the most weapons and gadgets in a console game ever, and was generally well recieved. It starred Ratchet, a jackass space-cat lombax finding a robot buddy, who he named Clank. Together they saved the galaxy from the evil plots of a CEO named Chairman Drek and a washed-up sellout superhero named Captain Qwark. There were good times and bad times, but in the end it made the two into best friends. After that Ratchet, and the galaxy at large, stopped being giant dickweeds.

In 2003 there was a sequel, named Going Commando, which boasted even more weapons, all of which transformed if you used them enough. The game centered around Ratchet trying to save a prototype pet (protopet) from a thief. But the thief turned out to be a girl lombax (then retconned so she wasnt then retconned AGAIN so she was) who wanted to save it from Ambercrombe Fizzwidget, an eccentric CEO who used to be much nicer and less dangerous. Then when Ratchet gave the protopet to Fizzwidget it started wreaking havoc across the galaxy. When Ratchet went to stop him it turned out that it was secretly Qwark all along, pretending to be Fizzwidget! Ratchet stopped Qwark and lived happily ever after... until this game.

Now it's 2004 and the third game of the series is out. It's also the best PS2 game of the series and one of the best PS2 games ever. More weapons, and this time they have FIVE levels of development instead of just one. Better weapons. Better arenas. Better bosses. Online multiplayer! A monkey! It also introduces The Best Character™ to the series. This is one of my favorite Ratchet games ever, probably right behind A Crack In Time. Like usual I'm going to show off getting everything, and like usual my partners in crime Ape and Heave will be with me.

Videos

Bonus Content

Challenge Mode
Fast Times at Arena High
The Qwarktastic Battle!
The Lost Battles

Other Ratchet Let's Plays
Ratchet and Clank by Me and Ape.
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando by Me and Ape again.
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando by developers Tony Garcia and Mike Stout (they suck at the game but the commentary is so interesting it more than makes up for it).
:siren:SPOILER WARNING: The next couple of LPs have spoilers for this game in them! Watch at your own risk!:siren:
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal by developers Tony Garcia and Mike Stout again (also they still suck at games but still have interesting words)
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction by Me and Ape again (also our first lp and it hasnt aged well)
Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty by Me.
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time by Me and Ape yet again.
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One by Me, Ape, Heave, and RandomNinja.
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus by Me and Ape yet again. I really like this series, guys.

Yes, I know about the movie. Yes, I know about the (hecka good looking) game associated with it. Yes, I will probably LP that too.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

reserved

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What's a Spoiler Alter? :v:

Seriously though, I missed spacecat and robot buddy :3:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I have no idea how many times I've played this game, because it is so good. The levels are good, the weapons are good, the characters are good, the story is good, the humour is good.. Everything (bar a couple of small things) is just amazing and it is a crime that you took your time getting to this game, but I understand, since you need to be in top spacecat form to enjoy this game to the fullest.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've been excited for this LP for a while now. This game is amazing from top to bottom. The idea of being like an agent in an army is pretty cool. The multiplayer was also great, but I never had many opportunities to play it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'd watch a series of Nature's Mysteries.

Veldin is literally just Eurasia with bits cut out and the Mediterranean sea filled in.

copperpauper
Oct 1, 2012

Flexible, Conductive, and Really, Really Poor.
I have quite a history with this game. When it's the only game you have when you spend a year at your grandparents, you learn a lot about it. I think I've beat this around a couple dozen times. I really do love it. Such a good game. I think I 100% beat it on the PS2, though that was years ago. Can't wait to see the LP!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Great Joe posted:

I'd watch a series of Nature's Mysteries.

Hell yes. Especially if all of the mysteries were just hairy dudes with dubiously legitimate photos taken of them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I think there was some talk from Mark Cerny that a good deal of the effects used in this game came cheap thanks to the Emotion Engine, stuff like light bending towards the centre of explosions (gently caress, that's a nice effect) and rain haze. I wonder how much time went into just recreating those effects, considering the PS3's GPU relatively normal compared to that.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Been wanting to play this again for a while but my disk was scratched from being dumb 10 years ago. Awaiting purple ship with twin nose.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
YES! Spacecat has returned! Spacecat genocides where he pleases! :allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is one of the best PS2 games ever made.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Glad to be seeing this! It's been too long since I've played this game.

And really, are you going to stick with the Heli-Pack? The rocket-pack is so much cooler.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is the best PS2 game, and the best R&C game, including the PS3 games. If you disagree you are wrong. Meet me at the Megaopolis Mini-Mega-Mart in 22 minutes if you want an rear end kicking

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jak 2 and A Crack in Time prove both parts of your assertion wrong.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

see you in 11 minutes then, scrub lord :colbert:

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014
Fair warning, the PS3 version sometimes corrupts save files when it auto-saves.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Happy to see this game getting the LP it deserves. Having played a ton of PS2 games, the Ratchet and Clank games all make up spots in my top 20 for the system. I liked Up your Arsenal the best from a story perspective, and the duel arenas and Clank Segments are handled better but I actually enjoyed Going Commando better from an aesthetic perspective, and I just found the weapons, enemies, and levels much funner. Looking forward to see how this plays out. :munch:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ratchet and Clank is like Kingdom Hearts in that I can't keep track of which game is which. The only difference is that R&C has a track record for being consistently good.

When you got on the ship and the cat chick popped up talking about the features on it I thought that was the other Lombax chick for a second since I barely remember something about Naughty Dog not being able to decide if she's just some random species or retconning her into another Lombax or no. I wouldn't be surprised if I made that up by half-remembering facts.

Which R&C game is the one that's not that great that isn't All 4 One or Secret Agent Clank?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

They keep censoring the subtitles in Europe so Up Your Arsenal is just known as Ratchet & Clank 3 here.

edit: Any plans for LPing Ratchet: Gladiator Deadlocked?

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 29, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Great Joe posted:

edit: Any plans for LPing Ratchet: Gladiator Deadlocked?

I've played all of 20 minutes of Deadlocked Gladiator, so no, probably not.

I might stream it eventually.

SirSamVimes posted:

I like this better than Jak 2 but yes A Crack In Time is the best Ratchet game.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've never played this one and i'm torn between watching this or starting it myself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

While I am the single biggest Jak 2 apologist on the entire planet, this is the better game.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Ratchet and Clank is like Kingdom Hearts in that I can't keep track of which game is which. The only difference is that R&C has a track record for being consistently good.

When you got on the ship and the cat chick popped up talking about the features on it I thought that was the other Lombax chick for a second since I barely remember something about Naughty Dog Insomniac not being able to decide if she's just some random species or retconning her into another Lombax or no. I wouldn't be surprised if I made that up by half-remembering facts.

Which R&C game is the one that's not that great that isn't All 4 One or Secret Agent Clank?

You're definitely half-remembering facts. :v:

Also looking forward to spacecat and robofriend adventures. This is probably my favorite of the PS2 era games. Like, out of all the games.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Size Matters. And maybe Full Frontal Assault, if Tower Defense isn't your thing. And maybe the mobile games if you want to count them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Frankly, I like the plot (or rather, the cutscenes/characters) and settings from R&C2 better than the ones in R&C3. But I can't deny that R&C3 has better mechanics and weapons. Thug Leader is just a better villain than Nefarious. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Confetti posted:

You're definitely half-remembering facts. :v:

So I just got the developer wrong or is anything else wildly off-base too? I can only remember like ten developers at most, honestly.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

RareAcumen posted:

Size Matters (PSP) and Deadlocked (PS2). Both are bad games, SM less than D, however.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Which one was the team versus multiplayer one?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Glad to see you play this, it really is the best PS2 game (I do think that Crack in Time is very narrowly the best overall, with this in second and into the nexus or going commando in third). Glad to see Kalon enjoy a game in an LP he is in after Watch Underscore Dogs

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This was probably my favorite PS2 game, I've been waiting for this LP for so long. Do we also get to vote on Ratchet skins or nah?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thug Leader is just a better villain than Nefarious. :colbert:

The Door Frame posted:

Do we also get to vote on Ratchet skins or nah?

No, but I'll be sure to show them all off anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

Both are bad games, SM less than D, however.

:catstare:

I think Size Matters is really bad because all the weapons feel terrible and weak, which is one of the worst things you can do in a R&C game. And it's laughably short. Skyboarding is bad, as well as most of the Clank stuff. Robot girl was kinda cool though, as were the shrunk down levels.

Deadlocked is not the game for you if you don't like mission styled arena combat, but it still has an Insomniac heart that really gives it its charm. And the guns are really good. Well, okay, 7/10 are. What do you think, Juaaaanita?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Size Matters was a better game than Deadlocked because SM was a short, portable game with neat armor customization options and was fun, overall. Deadlocked was a departure from the usual and tried to make a R&C game that was grimdark and gritty, and utterly failed at it. Also, it is objectively the worst game because Clank is not in it.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
Size Matters is objectively terrible, and Deadlocked is fun. Size Matters is a dreary soul-less experience that couldn't keep me, the Ratchet turbonerd, interested. Kalon might not be LPing either of these, but I fully intend to drag Kalon through them once I'm done Jak 3.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nefarious' butler, Lawrence, is a better character than either of them. I just find Nefarious to be so over the top that I can't believe he can actually accomplish anything. Like, he shows competence maybe once in the entire game? And his humor just isn't very subtle, while Thug Leader has some fantastic lines.

Ehh, I guess my general complaint is just that R&C3's cast is a bunch of wacky dudes in super-serious circumstances, while R&C2 has a more serious cast in silly circumstances, and I like the latter more. :shrug:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Heavenator posted:

Size Matters is objectively terrible, and Deadlocked is fun. Size Matters is a dreary soul-less experience that couldn't keep me, the Ratchet turbonerd, interested. Kalon might not be LPing either of these, but I fully intend to drag Kalon through them once I'm done Jak 3.

As another Ratchet Turbonerd, I disagree :colbert:

I'm so glad so many people like these games :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I actually quite enjoyed Deadlocked for what it was, the story was good enough with some of my favorite gags in the series. Up Your Arsenal is still my favorite Ratchet and Clank game, though I'm heartbroken what the PS3 HD Collection did to it where they half assed some of the effects from the guns (specifically the shield thingy). This game was really good to play at party's and a way to get back at all those years of getting my rear end handed to me by my friends in Super Smash Bros and Golden Eye because I didn't have a N64. I owned at the R&C Multiplayer.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

So I was in Target today getting shampoo and other such things and I swung by the games department to see what was on sale.

So I guess Ratchet & Clank Future: Kartzldne Eye 007 is gonna be our next LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadlocked is fun and good especially if you play on Exterminator difficulty, which really makes it a whole new game.

Also the announcers are good.

• Locked thread