Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
drat dude, throwing some serious shade on burning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

IMO he's the most overrated player in the whole dota scene. He has serious fame and credit when his big skill is 'kill creeps fast". He made some records years ago when dota was all 4p1 and that meta obviously worked for him, but that's not what dota is anymore, and so, so many amazing players have showed up in his own role. His farming speed isn't exceptional anymore, and his overall decision making doesn't stand out. And I think it's pretty indisputable that his presence on a team causes them to be very cautious an disproportionately carry-focused. I think any team with him on it (especially previous DK iterations) would be better served to replace him with any other high-level carry player.

Much like how C9 would be better with almost any other high-level carry, although for different reasons.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think the thing with Burning is that the thing that made him special (always getting super farmed) is just standard in 2015 where we have 7k pubstars who can get massively farmed and don't even play competitive.

That being said he has a lot of experience and is very good at his style of play. The only carry players I would definitely want over him are Fear, Arteezy, Sylar and EE, though I could be forgetting someone. Illidan is obviously pretty good too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

That being said he has a lot of experience and is very good at his style of play. The only carry players I would definitely want over him are Fear, Arteezy, Sylar and EE, though I could be forgetting someone. Illidan is obviously pretty good too.

Ummm...Are you sure about that?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Andrast posted:

Ummm...Are you sure about that?

Absolutely yes.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wezlar posted:

The only carry players I would definitely want over him are Fear, Arteezy, Sylar and EE,

Kill me. Kill me now.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

https://instagram.com/p/5qLS4bxWDI/

My favorite field report so far. I hope James and his recruits keep these going the whole event.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Is there a single resource that has replays along with ratings of the games (highlighting good ones versus less interesting) outside of the dota 2 client?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Taffer posted:

IMO he's the most overrated player in the whole dota scene. He has serious fame and credit when his big skill is 'kill creeps fast". He made some records years ago when dota was all 4p1 and that meta obviously worked for him, but that's not what dota is anymore, and so, so many amazing players have showed up in his own role. His farming speed isn't exceptional anymore, and his overall decision making doesn't stand out. And I think it's pretty indisputable that his presence on a team causes them to be very cautious an disproportionately carry-focused. I think any team with him on it (especially previous DK iterations) would be better served to replace him with any other high-level carry player.

Much like how C9 would be better with almost any other high-level carry, although for different reasons.

I was just messing around, I pretty much agree with this whole post except the C9 thing.

Tom Tucker posted:

Is there a single resource that has replays along with ratings of the games (highlighting good ones versus less interesting) outside of the dota 2 client?

What do you mean the ratings of games? Like, this pro game was really amazing watch it?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is something about Sylar that scares me, he just looks so focused and quiet and deadly

he's sort of what I imagine the archetypical chinese soldier will act like if we ever go to war with the east :classiclol:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

mikeraskol posted:

What do you mean the ratings of games? Like, this pro game was really amazing watch it?

Yeah, in the dota2 client the replays have a simple upvote / downvote button, so you can immediately see if a lot of people gave it a thumbs up then it's likely a good watch, and if 95% of people gave it a thumbs up then again it shows it's a high quality match worth watching. I don't have time to watch them all :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

I was just messing around, I pretty much agree with this whole post except the C9 thing.

Yeah the case with EE is very different. He's both a really good player and also literally the worst, simultaneously. Schrodinger's carry, if you will.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ramagamma posted:

There is something about Sylar that scares me, he just looks so focused and quiet and deadly

Look at pictures of him from his original LGD days and then his days in Vici or now. It's like watching a young man become an old man.

Taffer posted:

He's a great support player, but it would be a stretch to put him on a level with the best support players, but that's never been what set him apart. Na'vi was a powerhouse for almost the entire period that he was the captain, up until the very end when there were obviously some internal issues.
I guess that's kind of my point. Puppey reminds me of a goalie for a team that goes into the Stanley Cup finals a lot, and eventually someone realizes if you put a lot of goalies behind that kind of offense...

There are definitely moments where the drafting meta is so narrow that some creative thinking is required, and outside of a few TI4 games he's really good at that stuff. The problem now, I think, is it seems like that stuff is less necessary now. Everybody knows the most powerful warrior in the game is a sad goatman, and that the second strongest brute is an old man in a crop duster. But after that, you play more to unique situations and your roster than to any obscure meta draft. That's why after the first real full day of TI, and already 60% of the roster has been used.

I miss the Puppey/Kuro duo with Navi, but more for the personality and nostalgia. Through a lot of the first half of 2014, it really occurred to me that they did almost no warding, kky can occasionally get really greedy as a support compared to someone like Akke who is often dead last in net worth when his whole team is swimming in gold, and the team basically sensed out where their enemy was by a hunch. Which makes Navi in 2013 even more incredible, but in 2014 it was beginning to result in feeds. Some of the fanboys on other boards were getting furious about the lack of any vision when the losses and early exits started mounting up.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Taffer posted:

Yeah the case with EE is very different. He's both a really good player and also literally the worst, simultaneously. Schrodinger's carry, if you will.

Which makes him the best carry as a non-fan watching the team. You either see some amazing play or a you get a hilarious gently caress up. It's win - win.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

EE has great mechanics and theoretical knowledge. His decisionmaking is utter garbage.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah, in the dota2 client the replays have a simple upvote / downvote button, so you can immediately see if a lot of people gave it a thumbs up then it's likely a good watch, and if 95% of people gave it a thumbs up then again it shows it's a high quality match worth watching. I don't have time to watch them all :(

Maybe keep an eye on NoobFromUA's Youtube channel. He's pretty good at quickly editing highlight reels of the more impressive pro and pub games, and they usually get posted within like 12 hours.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
C9 vs fnatic and then C9 vs Secret

This should be good.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find it hard to judge Puppey vs other support duos because Puppey drafts and plays differently than a traditional Chinese roaming duo.

Secret is fine as long as s4 wins mid. If he doesn't they look awful because Puppey drafts and Puppey support plays assuming s4 wins mid so he can do greedy support strategies and the whole team falls apart like in their loss yesterday when this doesn't happen.

But it isn't often you're going to find yourself saying 'well Puppey hosed up that fight'. He loses when its outdraft and overall outplay, his individual play is consistent as you can ever hope for.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
easy choice for tonights matches I think

china show-down and then 2 gamesof jacko mao implosion followed by the na'vi v secret grudge match and then cheering on iceiceice against NA Dotes if I'm still awake/sober enough to comprehend things by that point

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Taffer posted:

You don't need to switch roles to be good. Puppey has consistently been one of the strongest and and most unpredictable drafters and captains. He's a great support player, but it would be a stretch to put him on a level with the best support players, but that's never been what set him apart. Na'vi was a powerhouse for almost the entire period that he was the captain, up until the very end when there were obviously some internal issues. Secret is obviously an allstar team so crediting Puppey with all their success is not really possible, but it's very clear that he's brought the team together by all the players doing better than any of their previous team performances.

It's very safe to predict Secret cruising to the finals. As mentioned they have a total allstar lineup, and combine that with the drafting and calling of Puppey, and they become a steamroller. This is evidenced by their recent effortless LAN wins.

Comparing them with DK is pretty silly. Despite having an allstar lineup as well, they had burning, who besides being a vastly overrated carry player, on every team he is ever on, he always warps the playstyle to his own rigid type, which makes the team slow, cautious, and top heavy. This made them easy to predict and all their games had to rely on pure player outskill, since their drafting and strategy and ingame movements were always predictable.

Secret does not have this problem at all. Their roles are all flexible and their strategies are highly variable. It's really not any stretch to call Puppey one of the most valuable players in the scene.

JollyPubJerk posted:

I find it hard to judge Puppey vs other support duos because Puppey drafts and plays differently than a traditional Chinese roaming duo.

Secret is fine as long as s4 wins mid. If he doesn't they look awful because Puppey drafts and Puppey support plays assuming s4 wins mid so he can do greedy support strategies and the whole team falls apart like in their loss yesterday when this doesn't happen.

But it isn't often you're going to find yourself saying 'well Puppey hosed up that fight'. He loses when its outdraft and overall outplay, his individual play is consistent as you can ever hope for.
Puppey is not the drafter for Secret.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Maaaan those C9 vs Navi games were everything you could ever hope for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kater posted:

Maaaan those C9 vs Navi LGD games were everything you could ever hope for.

Speaking of which, EE and Mushi are about to see who can go AFK farm the longest. Should be like one of those Dragonball Z duels where it takes seven episodes of manly screaming to charge up the same attack.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CampingCarl posted:

Puppey is not the drafter for Secret.

I'm sure he has no input whatsoever.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TheRat posted:

EE has great mechanics and theoretical knowledge. His decisionmaking is utter garbage.
I don't think other players would have made the decision to get BKBless Rapier, but other carries also wouldn't have made the decision to farm a lane alone so stupidly.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Craptacular! posted:

Speaking of which, EE and Mushi are about to see who can go AFK farm the longest. Should be like one of those Dragonball Z duels where it takes seven episodes of manly screaming to charge up the same attack.

Is Bone7 Krillin or Yamcha in this analogy?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

burning is like zsmj-lite but zsmj had been retired for years and the world forgot what a true carry looks like. then he came to dota2 and never really did much, forever tainting his legacy and burning inherited the title of "expert minion slayer"

also ppy owns, best dota2 player all years along with BAI FAN.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
winter looks like a pretty lady with that caked on makeup, they should soften the lighting more

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

IcePhoenix posted:

I actually know who Yamcha is, that's a new one.

I actually used to watch syndicated dubbed Dragon Ball non-Z when it was airing at like 6AM and I was like 13. It lasted like six weeks before KBHK pulled it. I saw one episode of Z and thought "well if this is the future, I want out."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

C9/Fnatic is the match to watch of the first series, right?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Radical posted:

"expert minion slayer"

Minion

You traitorous FUCKj

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

champion

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

IcePhoenix posted:

n0Tail is Bulma

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably. C9 hasn't let us down yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Josh Lyman posted:

If you get bored of it, Navi/Complexity is an Owen and Dad cast between two teams that I think have never faced each other.

Edit: Navi takes Wyvern AND Shaker.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Craptacular! posted:

If you get bored of it, Navi/Complexity is an Owen and Dad cast between two teams that I think have never faced each other.

Edit: Navi takes Wyvern AND Shaker.

Complexity takes the sisters.

How often does that happen and does it ever win?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

:h: this kecik video

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ambivalent posted:

That poo poo was so :3:

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Ambivalent posted:

All these videos have been so good. I've watched n0tail, complexity brothers and now Kecik so far.

EDIT: Looks like their is also a Sumail one on the dota2 youtube channel.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Complexity I was going to cheer for you and then you went and picked Naga :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Na'Vi looks like they are going to steamroll Complexity with this draft

• Locked thread