Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

a007jedi posted:

any suggestions in the Lake Worth/West Palm Beach area?

Go to Copper Point Brewing in Boyton. They have awesome beer and food trucks nightly. They post their food truck schedules online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd just like to say that the best Sonoran hotdog I've had in Tucson was at Fort Lowell and Campbell, NE corner.

And I would like to ask if there is a better dry burrito to be had than Filiberto's.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

a007jedi posted:

Feel like going down to Boynton? My parents have a condo there, I love the area. For killer cocktails and food, there's Sweetwater at 1507 S Federal Hwy. Great bartenders and service, clever food and cocktails at a decent price.
For on-the-intercostal dining, there's 2 Georges in the marina, 728 Casa Loma Blvd. They also sometimes have a lobster deal in summer for like 15bux for a 1.5lber. Ask about it. If not, Get the Lobster Reuben, it's amazing. They have two docks, one has live music, the other is quieter. Also an indoor area if you hate sun. If they're not your speed, Bananna Boat in the next bit of the marina is a little more upscale, you don't have to walk past fishing boats displaying filleted carcases or smell a bit of marine diesel or nothing.
There's also Hurricane Alley at 529 E Ocean Ave, they have KILLER CHOWDER. And a really good rawbar selection, and lobster. Super low-key.
For diner food, you gotta go to Scully's at 2005 S Federal Hwy and fight my neighbors from Seagate across the way for a good table. The burger is great, but they also do a really good pressed Cuban. Do not go at Senior Citizen Dinnertime. They are VICIOUS at Seagate. Scully himself is also the most cheerful human being on the planet.
Sushi Simon is great for sushi, they do a bunch of locally caught stuff. Josie's is pretty decent italian. Skip Prime Catch, it's overpriced. If you can get to The Backyard, that's good for drinks and bar food, they're outdoor and really beach/tiki/party themed.

I really like Boynton.

rockcity posted:

Go to Copper Point Brewing in Boyton. They have awesome beer and food trucks nightly. They post their food truck schedules online.

THERE'S A BREWERY NOW?!?!?!?!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 29, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

THERE'S A BREWERY NOW?!?!?!?!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That area is EXPLODING with new breweries. There are easily five or more that have opened this year in the WPB corridor. That one is the only one I've been to yet though, mostly because I live in Orlando. A guy from a homebrew shop I buy stuff from down there is one of their brewers so I found out about it from him. Great beers and they constantly putting out new stuff.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Going to be in Napa/Yountville/St. Helena next weekend, and it occurs to me that I don't know any of the sort of lower or mid-tier places that are trying hard. What's really good these days?

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

a007jedi posted:

If you're willing to head down to Delray Beach, which isn't far, go to Scuola Vecchia for dinner. It's the best pizza I have ever had, I order the Burratina appetizer and the Padrino pizza. It's the type of place where they close up shop for parts of the year to head back to Italy. In downtown Lake Worth, go to the Pelican Restaurant for breakfast. It's got interesting takes on breakfast fare, as well as Pakistani/Indian breakfast food. I get the Eggs Nissa, which is a spicy ginger scrambled egg dish served with Naan. In WPB, try Relish for lunch. Great burger place with lots of different relishes to top multiple different types of meat burgers. I get the Lamb burger with the sweet smoky bacon jam for the relish.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Seconding Relish. That place is great.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Heading to Nashville today and looking for place to get a decent meal when I get in ~10-11pm tonight and also looking for suggestions for lunch/brunch tomorrow. I know there's great food there, found some my last time I was there but I don't have time to explore this time around.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Anyone have recommendations for Tacoma, WA? Heading there at the end of the month.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Hello thread, where can I find the best BBQ in the Raleigh-Durham area? Any favorite bars? Thanks!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PatMarshall posted:

Hello thread, where can I find the best BBQ in the Raleigh-Durham area? Any favorite bars? Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, when I was in the area a few years ago, I was taken to Backyard BBQ Pit, and it was very, very good.

As for bars, I can tell you of a couple in Durham: The Green Room was nice and low-key, and has free shuffleboard, while Bull City Burger and Brewery is good for burgers and local craft beers.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

AK-47 posted:

Heading to Nashville today and looking for place to get a decent meal when I get in ~10-11pm tonight and also looking for suggestions for lunch/brunch tomorrow. I know there's great food there, found some my last time I was there but I don't have time to explore this time around.

Haven't updated it in a few months with new openings but some of the places I like in Nashville: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=zLLPt3Vw2H38.klf5y49nQfxw

There is not a whole ton of late night food in Nashville and on top of that, some places are closed Sunday. If you're not needing a nice sit down meal though, you have more ptions mainly on the East side.

Dino's - You can get a solid burger here and cheap beer. There are also good drinks at the bar next door, 308, but not cheap.
http://dinosnashville.com/

Robert's - Touristy downtown, but a solid simple fried bologna sandwich for cheap
http://robertswesternworld.com/

Duke's - East Nashville bar, you can get sandwiches here
1000 Main Street

Crying Wolf - East Nashville bar, burgers until 11pm if you're arriving closer to the 10:00 hour
http://www.thecryingwolf.com/

Little Octopus - East Nashville restaurant at POP Nashville, for non-burger/bar type food, also if you arrive closer to the 10:00 hour, they're open until 11
http://littleoctopusnashville.com/

Patterson House - speakeasy type bar, expensive and almost always a wait though you might get lucky to have a short wait, they have some decent food
http://thepattersonnashville.com/

Pinewood Social - owned by same people as above but more food options and bigger spot, open til 11
http://pinewoodsocial.com/

For lunch tomorrow if you're from somewhere you can't get good bbq check out Martin's or Peg Leg Porker (and when ordering remember pig is king for TN barbecue, though I also do really like the smoked chicken at Peg Leg as well). Nashville hot chicken is iconic but the best places are closed Monday. Hattie B's is easy to get to and open Monday but is not my favorite. Pepperfire is open Monday I think and I like it better than Hattie B's but it's also not my favorite though you can get a deep fried grilled cheese there with the hot spices. If you want to go to a nicer type restaurant go to Husk as they are one of the few of the nicer places that are open for lunch. If you can't get a table you can eat at the bar downstairs. It has one of my favorite burgers and their fried chicken is really good too and unique in its spicing. It's not hot chicken but there is a spiciness to it so not just plain fried chicken. If you want more brunchy/breakfasty stuff there is Biscuit Love in the gulch for more southern type breakfast and Steadfast Coffee for lighter/healthier.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AK-47 posted:

Urban Grub has great brunch food. Not sure if they're open for brunch on Mondays. If you're a burger kind of person, Pharmacy Burger is awesome. I'll also second Hattie B's for hot chicken.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

PatMarshall posted:

If you are willing to drive an hour I strongly recommend Bill's BBQ in Wilson. Best drat BBQ I've ever had.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I'm going to be in Quebec City this weekend. Anyone have any good suggestions for places to eat?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PatMarshall posted:

If you're heading to the RTP research area (like where Quest is) there is a fantastic vinegar based BBQ place between there and the airport. Just ask around and they'll know. Place is legit.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015

PatMarshall posted:

I went to Allen and Sons awhile ago and it was tasty. It reminded me of a lot of real down-home BBQ joints back in Texas and you'll understand if you go. Also not BBQ but Dame's chicken and waffles lives up to the hype just be sure to make a reservation.

edit: haven't been to any other bbq places in the area so far so glad you asked

gbaby fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 27, 2015

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Amergin posted:

Denver, CO (just stuff I've tried):

Beast & Bottle (heard great things from friends)

Going here this weekend. Can't wait! thanks for the suggestions. I may try a few of them. Going to Root Down as well.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

If I was going to be in San Sebastien for a few days, and my intent was to eat as much as possible (and perhaps sightsee a very tiny bit), would anyone here have any recommendations? I know the general answer is "TAPAS. WINE. REPEAT", which is on the agenda, but looking for something a bit more specific if anyone has experience. Thanks!

genderfluid and beautiful fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 27, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's Basque country, isn't it? Get some sidra and some young white wine. It's really fantastic stuff. That and cod omelettes.

Note: I haven't been to Basque country but there is an awesome basque restaurant near where I live.

Feb 1, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

That's Basque country, isn't it?

That is my understanding.

Shbobdb posted:

Get some sidra

...squash?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cider. Basque cider is a bit of a different beast. It's like a still scrumpy cider . . . but different. Good stuff. I know it has a wide range of flavors and I know that I don't know enough to really talk about it with any authority. But whenever I've had a "drink this" moment, it has been pretty cool.

Edit: http://cidercraftmag.com/the-center-of-sidra-the-culture-and-custom-of-spanish-cider/

That should help. Also, looks like you got lots of starred restaurants, so figure out what you want and go from there. I'm not "up" on the European culinary scene (or really any culinary scene) but I'm sure you can figure out what is in, what is out and, with a little bit of luck, what occupies that magical middle ground where quality and price intersect. Maybe try hitting up some of the snobbier GWS threads or the frequent (business) flyer thread in the careers section? They could probably help you out more.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 28, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I made a big list of San Sebastian stuff for when we went, we didn't get to all of these so not all are personal recommendations. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the pintxos (what they call tapas in the north) places are extremely crowded at peak hours. Pretty much every place we went to that was super crowded ended up being not that great an experience even if the food was good because we felt we were continually fighting for a place to stand and had minimal space to set down any plates. Not sure how much Spanish you know but if you don't speak Spanish well it's even more difficult because that makes it harder to get the attention of a server and to order. Most places have ready made pintxos that sit out on the bar that are ready to eat or just need to be briefly heated so you can just point to those but in general the made to order stuff is better. Some places have an English menu, some don't. If your Spanish is subpar, I found it made things a lot easier if I kept a list of recommended dishes at each place so I already knew what to order when I got there.

If you are fine with more of a bar experience and hanging out and ordering dishes at a slower pace it may not be too bad but if you want to try a lot of different dishes and your focus is on eating, try to go as soon as places open (either for lunch or when they reopen for dinner) before it gets too crowded. If a place is open all day without closing during siesta, go during that time in between lunch and dinner and it will be much less crowded.

Here are sit-down places I was thinking of, we didn't end up having time for a sit down meal though:

La Muralla: good value, 3 course prix fixe for 25 €
Calle Embeltrán, 3. 20003 San Sebastián. Gipuzkoa
Sa/Mo: 1:00 – 3:30 pm. 8:00 – 11:00 pm. Su: 1:00 – 3:30 pm

La Fábrica: sister restaurant to above
Calle del Puerto, 17. 20003 Donostia. Gipuzkoa
Sa-Su. 1:00 – 4:00 pm, 8:00 – 11:00 pm. M 12:30 – 4:00 pm7:30 – 11:30 pm

Bodegón Alejandro: part of Mugaritz family of restaurants. prix fixe lunch for 23 €
Calle de Fermín Calbetón, 4, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
Sa 1:00 – 3:30 pm, 8:30 – 10:30 pm. Su 1:00 – 3:30 pm

Restaurante Ni Neu
De Zurriola Hiribidea, 1. 20002 Donostia
+34 943 00 31 62. Thu-Sa 10a-11p, Su, Tu-W 10a - 8p

Restaurante Narru: http://www.narru.es/
Zubieta Kalea, 56
+34 943 42 33 49. 1:30p - 3:30p, 8:30 - 11p

Kokotxa: 1 michelin star. prix fixe lunch options but maybe not on Saturday
Calle del Campanario, 11, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
+ 34 943 42 1904. Sa: 1:30-3:30p, 8:45-11aa

Pintxos, I'll * the ones we actually went to:

Bar Haizea - Aldamar Kalea 8 : classic pintxos
Phone:+34 943 42 57 10. M-Sa. 6:30a (?) - 11p. Su 10a - 3:30p
Txakoli: light sparkling wine, peppers pickled with anchovies, crispy pastries with stuffings, e.g. codfish, foie gras, langoustine

Ganbara - Calle de San Jerónimo, 21. Known for its mushrooms. (closed Su afternoon + M)

Bar Goiz Argi - Calle Fermin Calbeton, 4: brocheta de gambas - prawn bruschetta. Txangurro para calendar - cream of crab (W-M 9:30a-3:30p, W-Su 6:30p-11:30p)

Borda Berri - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 12. Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - beef cheek (1-4p, 8:30-10:30p, closed Sunday)
*Enjoyed this place, got the following dishes
-Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - Beef cheeks in red wine sauce. very tender braised beef cheeks
-rosotto de idiazabal and de hongos - risotto with mushrooms and a type of northern cheese, good though made with orzo not rice
-ravioli de txangurro - crab ravioli. pretty good
-callos de bacalao (cod tripe) - this was a recommended dish but the texture isn't for everyone (soft and creamy) and it was really rich, it's not something I wanted more than a couple bites of

Munto - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 17 (closed Monday)
*We liked it here, I think this was one place we went to in the in between lunch and dinner time
-We loved both the croquettes we tried: Seafood croquette with squid ink, mushroom croquette
-rosotto de idiazabal - another version of that risotto
-young eels on toast - it was okay, we wanted to try the young eels somewhere but only saw them on pre-prepared pintxos and the bread was soft as it was probably sitting there for a bit
-mushroom and cheese on toast - however, this was a pre-prepared pintxos that we tried very soon after they brought out the tray and it was really good. I think we ordered a couple more things when we saw them coming out fresh and they were pretty good then

Tamboril - Calle Pescaderia 2

Txepetxa - Calle Pescaderia, 5. Known for its big fat antxoas (anchovies) (W-Sa 12-3p, 7-11p. Sun lunch only, Tu dinner only, Monday closed)

Bar Zeruko - Calle Pescaderia, 10 (Tu-Sa 12-4p, 7p-12a. Sunday lunch only)
*The food here was really good and they have more modern pintxos (I saw a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home sitting near the cash register). However it was unpleasantly crowded and difficult to get served, we were here during prime time though. Maybe it'd be better if you went during less crowded hours
-bacalao served over hot coal - super tasty
-langoustine tempura - also good
-foie gras - decent but I thought it had too much going on with a too sweet sauce
-squid burger on puffed squid ink bun - was ok
-Rosa de bogavante - lobster served over a rose water perfume, tasty and impressive looking

La Cepa - Calle 31 de Agosto, 7. Known for its jamon. (We-Mo 11a-12a)
*Known for its jamon. This place was fine but not that interesting to me and not a lot of pintxos options that were not ready on the bar stuff.
-we had a plate of iberico that was really good but certainly you could get a better deal on iberico at a ham shop
-beef skewers - don't remember much about it
-peppers - a lot of pintxos places have peppers that they grill and toss with just a bit of oil and salt, they are really tasty, we got them at several places so definitely get them at some point. it was expensive here.

Casa Gandarias - Calle 31 de Agosto, 23. 11a - 12a)
*Loved this place, went in the in between lunch and dinner time and everything we had was good.
-Sirloin with potatoes and peppers
-grilled scallops
-croquettes
-grilled peppers
(pretty sure we ate more here too but can't remember what exactly, I think we had some of the pre-prepared pintxos when we saw them coming from the kitchen fresh)

A Fuego Negro - Calle 31 de Agosto, 31 (Tu-Su 10a-12a) - This place is more of a wine bar, the menu looked good but the kitchen doesn't open until dinner so we didn't get a chance to eat here

La Cuchara de San Telmo - Trasera, 28 (off Calle de Agosto, on a small dead-end street that is perpendicular to Agosto, near Bar Martinez). W-Su 12:30p-5:30p, 7:30p-11:30p. Tu dinner only, Monday closed)
*This place is one of the more recommended places but it was so incredibly crowded and it took forever for us to get the servers' attention to order and the food aside from one foie gras dish wasn't that good. Certainly not worth the wait. If you come across it at a less busy time maybe more worth trying.

Hidalgo 56 - Paseo colón 15, Gros (W-Mo 10a-12a)

Bar Nestor: steak and tomatoes
Pescaderia 11, San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
+34 943 42 48 73. Tu-Su 12:30 - 4p. 7p-12a
We tried to go here for the steak and tomatoes which looked super good but they were sold out

Here are some other recommendations that our host sent us, didn't get a chance to do any of these:

quote:

to drink:

- 31 agosto street--- ATARI and SIRIMIRI (ALSO PINTXOS)
- CONSTITUCION PLAZA (SQUARE) GOTT
- BOULERVARD: (FRIENDS DISCO)
- NAUTICO : GU (VERY NICE AND NEW!!!
GO FROM THE BOULERVAD TO THE SEA.. PORT.

- PLACES TO VISIT:

WITH CAR:

- ZARAUZ, GETARIA...

fish in Getaria: ask for RODABALLO share... my favorite place is MAY FLOWER... everybody knows it.... and they have a nice terrace to the port! if you want to diner...go at 8.. 8,30..... and ask for a table ... if you have to wait...go around for a wine... or before 13,30 for lunch. during the week better... less people and its easier to get a table!

HONDARRIBIA OR FUENTERRABIA (2 NAMES) (france direction)- go and see the center... very nice.
-------------------------------------------------

ON THURSDAY we have "pintxo pote" in GROS or "gastro pote" in the centre of san sebastian... urbieta street... (SAN MARTIN- MERCADO- MARKET) WHERE THE BIG ZARA IS.... starts at 7,30.... live concert! and for 2,5 euros one pintxo and a beer...wine... or whatever...

I usually go to "GASTROPOTE" and then...at 10,00pm you can go to gros.... to continue...

Feb 1, 2005

mich posted:

I made a big list of San Sebastian stuff for when we went, we didn't get to all of these so not all are personal recommendations. Something to keep in mind is that a lot of the pintxos (what they call tapas in the north) places are extremely crowded at peak hours. Pretty much every place we went to that was super crowded ended up being not that great an experience even if the food was good because we felt we were continually fighting for a place to stand and had minimal space to set down any plates. Not sure how much Spanish you know but if you don't speak Spanish well it's even more difficult because that makes it harder to get the attention of a server and to order. Most places have ready made pintxos that sit out on the bar that are ready to eat or just need to be briefly heated so you can just point to those but in general the made to order stuff is better. Some places have an English menu, some don't. If your Spanish is subpar, I found it made things a lot easier if I kept a list of recommended dishes at each place so I already knew what to order when I got there.

If you are fine with more of a bar experience and hanging out and ordering dishes at a slower pace it may not be too bad but if you want to try a lot of different dishes and your focus is on eating, try to go as soon as places open (either for lunch or when they reopen for dinner) before it gets too crowded. If a place is open all day without closing during siesta, go during that time in between lunch and dinner and it will be much less crowded.

Here are sit-down places I was thinking of, we didn't end up having time for a sit down meal though:

La Muralla: good value, 3 course prix fixe for 25 €
Calle Embeltrán, 3. 20003 San Sebastián. Gipuzkoa
Sa/Mo: 1:00 – 3:30 pm. 8:00 – 11:00 pm. Su: 1:00 – 3:30 pm

La Fábrica: sister restaurant to above
Calle del Puerto, 17. 20003 Donostia. Gipuzkoa
Sa-Su. 1:00 – 4:00 pm, 8:00 – 11:00 pm. M 12:30 – 4:00 pm7:30 – 11:30 pm

Bodegón Alejandro: part of Mugaritz family of restaurants. prix fixe lunch for 23 €
Calle de Fermín Calbetón, 4, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
Sa 1:00 – 3:30 pm, 8:30 – 10:30 pm. Su 1:00 – 3:30 pm

Restaurante Ni Neu
De Zurriola Hiribidea, 1. 20002 Donostia
+34 943 00 31 62. Thu-Sa 10a-11p, Su, Tu-W 10a - 8p

Restaurante Narru: http://www.narru.es/
Zubieta Kalea, 56
+34 943 42 33 49. 1:30p - 3:30p, 8:30 - 11p

Kokotxa: 1 michelin star. prix fixe lunch options but maybe not on Saturday
Calle del Campanario, 11, 20003 Donostia-San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa
+ 34 943 42 1904. Sa: 1:30-3:30p, 8:45-11aa

Pintxos, I'll * the ones we actually went to:

Bar Haizea - Aldamar Kalea 8 : classic pintxos
Phone:+34 943 42 57 10. M-Sa. 6:30a (?) - 11p. Su 10a - 3:30p
Txakoli: light sparkling wine, peppers pickled with anchovies, crispy pastries with stuffings, e.g. codfish, foie gras, langoustine

Ganbara - Calle de San Jerónimo, 21. Known for its mushrooms. (closed Su afternoon + M)

Bar Goiz Argi - Calle Fermin Calbeton, 4: brocheta de gambas - prawn bruschetta. Txangurro para calendar - cream of crab (W-M 9:30a-3:30p, W-Su 6:30p-11:30p)

Borda Berri - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 12. Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - beef cheek (1-4p, 8:30-10:30p, closed Sunday)
*Enjoyed this place, got the following dishes
-Carrillera de ternera al vino tinto - Beef cheeks in red wine sauce. very tender braised beef cheeks
-rosotto de idiazabal and de hongos - risotto with mushrooms and a type of northern cheese, good though made with orzo not rice
-ravioli de txangurro - crab ravioli. pretty good
-callos de bacalao (cod tripe) - this was a recommended dish but the texture isn't for everyone (soft and creamy) and it was really rich, it's not something I wanted more than a couple bites of

Munto - Calle de Fermin Calbeton, 17 (closed Monday)
*We liked it here, I think this was one place we went to in the in between lunch and dinner time
-We loved both the croquettes we tried: Seafood croquette with squid ink, mushroom croquette
-rosotto de idiazabal - another version of that risotto
-young eels on toast - it was okay, we wanted to try the young eels somewhere but only saw them on pre-prepared pintxos and the bread was soft as it was probably sitting there for a bit
-mushroom and cheese on toast - however, this was a pre-prepared pintxos that we tried very soon after they brought out the tray and it was really good. I think we ordered a couple more things when we saw them coming out fresh and they were pretty good then

Tamboril - Calle Pescaderia 2

Txepetxa - Calle Pescaderia, 5. Known for its big fat antxoas (anchovies) (W-Sa 12-3p, 7-11p. Sun lunch only, Tu dinner only, Monday closed)

Bar Zeruko - Calle Pescaderia, 10 (Tu-Sa 12-4p, 7p-12a. Sunday lunch only)
*The food here was really good and they have more modern pintxos (I saw a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home sitting near the cash register). However it was unpleasantly crowded and difficult to get served, we were here during prime time though. Maybe it'd be better if you went during less crowded hours
-bacalao served over hot coal - super tasty
-langoustine tempura - also good
-foie gras - decent but I thought it had too much going on with a too sweet sauce
-squid burger on puffed squid ink bun - was ok
-Rosa de bogavante - lobster served over a rose water perfume, tasty and impressive looking

La Cepa - Calle 31 de Agosto, 7. Known for its jamon. (We-Mo 11a-12a)
*Known for its jamon. This place was fine but not that interesting to me and not a lot of pintxos options that were not ready on the bar stuff.
-we had a plate of iberico that was really good but certainly you could get a better deal on iberico at a ham shop
-beef skewers - don't remember much about it
-peppers - a lot of pintxos places have peppers that they grill and toss with just a bit of oil and salt, they are really tasty, we got them at several places so definitely get them at some point. it was expensive here.

Casa Gandarias - Calle 31 de Agosto, 23. 11a - 12a)
*Loved this place, went in the in between lunch and dinner time and everything we had was good.
-Sirloin with potatoes and peppers
-grilled scallops
-croquettes
-grilled peppers
(pretty sure we ate more here too but can't remember what exactly, I think we had some of the pre-prepared pintxos when we saw them coming from the kitchen fresh)

A Fuego Negro - Calle 31 de Agosto, 31 (Tu-Su 10a-12a) - This place is more of a wine bar, the menu looked good but the kitchen doesn't open until dinner so we didn't get a chance to eat here

La Cuchara de San Telmo - Trasera, 28 (off Calle de Agosto, on a small dead-end street that is perpendicular to Agosto, near Bar Martinez). W-Su 12:30p-5:30p, 7:30p-11:30p. Tu dinner only, Monday closed)
*This place is one of the more recommended places but it was so incredibly crowded and it took forever for us to get the servers' attention to order and the food aside from one foie gras dish wasn't that good. Certainly not worth the wait. If you come across it at a less busy time maybe more worth trying.

Hidalgo 56 - Paseo colón 15, Gros (W-Mo 10a-12a)

Bar Nestor: steak and tomatoes
Pescaderia 11, San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
+34 943 42 48 73. Tu-Su 12:30 - 4p. 7p-12a
We tried to go here for the steak and tomatoes which looked super good but they were sold out

Here are some other recommendations that our host sent us, didn't get a chance to do any of these:

I love you.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Oh yeah, I didn't mention Arzak, Mugaritz, or Akelarre which are the big three big deal fancy restaurants but if you can get a reservation and can swing it, obviously those!

We took a day trip to Asador Etxebarri which is about an hour away for our fancy meal in the Basque country. It was amazing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to san sebastian in I think 2010 with some friends into spending tons of money on food. we had a reservation at arzak. were blown away there

we got really loving drunk that night and after our expensive rear end satisfying meal, on a group dare called akalarre at like 11:30pm and asked if they had any tables the next day. they said yes, we confirmed. probably spent 1200 euros per person for both of those meals.

akalarre was hands down the most ridiculously stupid, shittily executed meal I've ever had in my life. the service was downright rude, we were maybe 26 or 27 at the time, the waiters repeatedly asked us if we'd be able to afford the bill, or if we were "in the industry" (I mean, I have been, but wasn't at that point - but in any case how is that even relevant and wtf???????) - the food and pairings made no sense whatsoever, we didn't get silverware even before our first silverware-needing course was dropped, we had a dish that literally tasted like a girl had thrown up in my mouth, I personally had a dish with hair in it that I sent back - and was sent back to me - same dish - with just the hairs removed

the head chef went around to literally every other table in the restaurant but didn't stop by ours (despite my burning desire to ask him so many questions about our poo poo meal) - near the end of the meal the somm asked us how everything had been, I indicated in the most subtle industry-friendly way that things had not gone as we'd expected, and there was 0 effort to acknowledge that anything had been amiss. I even asked about the chef's decisions about pairing, and the dish that had tasted like vomit - assuming maybe I was missing some local rendition of a classic regional dish I had never had before - and absolutely nothing. bill? 550 EUR p/p + tip.

gently caress AKALARRE.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 29, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Going to spend a couple of days in Berlin in early November. Where's interesting to eat at?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

drgitlin posted:

Going to spend a couple of days in Berlin in early November. Where's interesting to eat at?

There's a Russian place called Datscha that does a Sunday brunch buffet. I went there a few years ago and it was pretty drat excellent.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
Any recommendations on mid-price point places in Copenhagen? My in-laws are coming to visit, and I don't think they'd like any of the places my husband and I have been (mostly Ethiopian, falafel/shawarma, and pizza places). My father-in-law doesn't eat beef or spicy food, and my mother-in-law pretty much only eats salads or chicken when she goes out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

drgitlin posted:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Chaparro is a hole-in-the-wall place that does decent Mexican food, which is rare in Germany. Although last time I was there they had started giving you sour cream with the tacos and I got a little wary.

Cocoro is more of a Japanese tea house/sake bar, but they have a small selection of very good food. (The one at Mehringdamm 64 - apparently there's also a ramen place called Cocolo which Google prefers to give you as a result, but it's a whole different thing.)

They're both more for a quick meal than full dining experience, though.
Been a while now since I've been to either but I imagine they still hold up.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..

justasmile posted:

Any recommendations on mid-price point places in Copenhagen? My in-laws are coming to visit, and I don't think they'd like any of the places my husband and I have been (mostly Ethiopian, falafel/shawarma, and pizza places). My father-in-law doesn't eat beef or spicy food, and my mother-in-law pretty much only eats salads or chicken when she goes out.

Manfreds: Incredible steak tartare + good vegetarian options

Bæst: Good pizzas and italian food

Tivolihallen: Some of the best smørrebrød and quite affordable compared to other lunch restaurants

Bror: Noma-food but you can get a table and its 1/6 of the price. (Their cafe lillebror is also good)

Osteria 16: Best antipasti

Kødbyens fiskebar: Amazing fish and seafood, but a bit expensive

For street food, Torvehallerne or Papirøen offers a lot of choice and most stalls are high quality (Hija de Sanchéz at torvehallerne is a must!!)

If you want boring, fail-safe options (sounds like thats what your in-laws are after), the madklubben and cofoco chain restaurants are pretty decent.

Aumuller fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 1, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

Street food advice only:

Check out Curry 36. It is the most famous bratwurst place in Berlin. Sausages are honest and good, but they are not the greatest I ever had.

Next to it is Mustafa's Gemüsekebab place. They allegedly make the best roasted vegetables kebab in Berlin. Place has a queue at any time from opening until 2 am. Personally I couldn't be arsed to queue up as we were too busy drinking (bachelor do) but local friends said it was good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Always did want to know if Mustafa's was really that great, but I can never be arsed to queue because every time I'm in the area, I'm on my way to or from Cocoro :v:

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Does anyone have suggestions for Santiago? I'll be taking some grad school classes there for two months, so the less expensive the better. I can probably swing one or two nicer meals, though.

Feb 1, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I went to san sebastian in I think 2010 with some friends into spending tons of money on food. we had a reservation at arzak. were blown away there

we got really loving drunk that night and after our expensive rear end satisfying meal, on a group dare called akalarre at like 11:30pm and asked if they had any tables the next day. they said yes, we confirmed. probably spent 1200 euros per person for both of those meals.

akalarre was hands down the most ridiculously stupid, shittily executed meal I've ever had in my life. the service was downright rude, we were maybe 26 or 27 at the time, the waiters repeatedly asked us if we'd be able to afford the bill, or if we were "in the industry" (I mean, I have been, but wasn't at that point - but in any case how is that even relevant and wtf???????) - the food and pairings made no sense whatsoever, we didn't get silverware even before our first silverware-needing course was dropped, we had a dish that literally tasted like a girl had thrown up in my mouth, I personally had a dish with hair in it that I sent back - and was sent back to me - same dish - with just the hairs removed

the head chef went around to literally every other table in the restaurant but didn't stop by ours (despite my burning desire to ask him so many questions about our poo poo meal) - near the end of the meal the somm asked us how everything had been, I indicated in the most subtle industry-friendly way that things had not gone as we'd expected, and there was 0 effort to acknowledge that anything had been amiss. I even asked about the chef's decisions about pairing, and the dish that had tasted like vomit - assuming maybe I was missing some local rendition of a classic regional dish I had never had before - and absolutely nothing. bill? 550 EUR p/p + tip.

gently caress AKALARRE.

Forgot to thank you as well! This is helpful as we now know what NOT to do. We've changed our trip a bit at the last minute, so we'll have two days in Madrid and two days in San Sebastian, but we'll make sure to bicycle by Akalarre and scream at them for you (or toss a bag of hair on their doorstep).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Make sure you get drunk at the Mercado de San Miguel on cheap Russian beer and then get chased by the Spanish cops.

Good times.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Man, when I was at the Mercado de San Miguel there wasn't any cheap beer or really cheap anything to be found.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If you wait till after it's closed to the public and you're hanging out with the stall owners and cleaning people, you will discover eastern European vendors with push carts making their way in and selling litres of high gravity Russian malt liquor for a euro a bottle.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If you wait till after it's closed to the public and you're hanging out with the stall owners and cleaning people, you will discover eastern European vendors with push carts making their way in and selling litres of high gravity Russian malt liquor for a euro a bottle.

That's reason enough to visit a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, I live near Birmingham, Albama these days, even if I'd rather not be in the state, I still need suggestions for good food! Just got here relatively recently, so I don't know what's good yet. Any suggestions? Seafood, Cajun/Southern food, BBQ and Chinese, especially.