Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Fury x oc results for gtav

GTA V 4K

1050 / 500: 32.1 FPS

1195 / 500: 32.3 FPS

1194 / 560: 33.0 FPS

Noice. :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

To be fair that game is massively CPU-bound from what I saw. I ran it at 1080p on low settings, on a 970 with a G3258 overclocked to 4.8 on water, and it was maxing both cores at 100% nonstop. Stuttering rendered it unplayable.

I now don't doubt the Fury is a poo poo overclocker, but I'm not sure overclocking a 980ti would have fared much better if it wasn't done on a newer quad-core.

It's probably pretty hard to find a game that's CPU bottle-necked at 4k though.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the EVGA GTX 970 SSC which is really high on the price to performance chart. I'm currently using an old Radeon 6970 (which I'm happy to see is still at the top of price performance), but it's not cutting it for some of the latest games at 1920x1200. I'd like to be able to play the Witcher 3 on highish settings.

Do you GPU gurus think it's still a good buy or should I splurge for a 980ti? Also is there any reason to buy the backplate? Or just a waste of money? And I'm assuming water cooling for this card isn't really that much of an upgrade since it runs pretty cool from what I've read, is that correct?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the EVGA GTX 970 SSC which is really high on the price to performance chart. I'm currently using an old Radeon 6970 (which I'm happy to see is still at the top of price performance), but it's not cutting it for some of the latest games at 1920x1200. I'd like to be able to play the Witcher 3 on highish settings.

Do you GPU gurus think it's still a good buy or should I splurge for a 980ti? Also is there any reason to buy the backplate? Or just a waste of money? And I'm assuming water cooling for this card isn't really that much of an upgrade since it runs pretty cool from what I've read, is that correct?

You're in exactly the same situation I was in a few months ago, my 6970 died and I went with a 970 and I could not be happier, I play at 1920x1200 too and it works great for me. You might need to turn one or two things down(and hairworks off) but you will get a solid 60 FPS at high/ultra with a 970. The EVGA ones fixed most of their issues a while back so they are a good buy now, they are not quite as good as the ASUS STRIX or the MSI Gaming 4G but they are a good chunk cheaper.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

To be fair that game is massively CPU-bound from what I saw. I ran it at 1080p on low settings, on a 970 with a G3258 overclocked to 4.8 on water, and it was maxing both cores at 100% nonstop. Stuttering rendered it unplayable.

The "next gen" version of GTA V was built for octa-core consoles. It runs great on my 4.0GHz stock-clocked 4790k quad core in 1080p with very high to ultra settings or 4K at medium. Your problem isn't speed, it's cores. GTA V just wants more than two to run well.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

That's a good card, but you should buy it from amazon.com to get a free copy of MGS5.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-256bit-Graphics-04G-P4-3975-KR/dp/B00R3NK2LE/
Since EVGA has about 70 models of current Nvidia cards it may not be auto included, pester amazon support in case it's missing.

No need to buy a backplate if it'snot included for free. For that resolution, a 970 is just dandy.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Thanks for the quick replies, just ordered one off Amazon :D

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

so why was the fury x watercooled again

To reduce power consumption, I believe.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I need more green tubing.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HalloKitty posted:

To reduce power consumption, I believe.

Thats not how that works

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

veedubfreak posted:

I need more green tubing.

Should line the inside with christmas lights while you're at it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mutation posted:

Heh, I didn't even think about the red/green combo. Up until this new psu all my cords have been black. For some reason EVGA uses red for the VGA power cables.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mutation posted:

Label the cables with little stockings.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Anyone have an idea of how well my ATI R7950 will handle running Witcher 3 and MGS5? I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd be happy just running at lower settings for those games if I can get away with it (hopefully at 1080p). This is the model I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616 .

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don Lapre posted:

Thats not how that works

So now chips don't leak less power when you keep them significantly cooler?

loving sweet, that's going to make chip design easier.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

Anyone have an idea of how well my ATI R7950 will handle running Witcher 3 and MGS5? I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'd be happy just running at lower settings for those games if I can get away with it (hopefully at 1080p). This is the model I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616 .

You literally have an R9 280 / R9 380 so unless you upgrade to at least a GTX 970 it won't be very worth it. That card is still pretty drat powerful which is why they are re-branding it so I would just wait to upgrade.

Withcer 3 is an Nvidia game so it might not run so great if you turn on all the bells and whistles but you should be able to run medium/high at 1080p fine I would guess. Check some benchmarks I'm sure there are plenty out there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Lapre posted:

Thats not how that works

It basically is

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 28, 2015

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So Newegg is having a "We won some thing in court" sale and they're selling a Gigabyte brand 970 for $309.99, and it includes a $30 rebate and a copy of Ground Zeroes whoops I am an rear end Metal Gear Solid 5.

They're also selling 285s for around $180s that come with $20 rebates. kicks the poo poo out of Amazon Prime Day.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 28, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Mutation posted:

So Newegg is having a "We won some thing in court" sale and they're selling a Gigabyte brand 970 for $309.99, and it includes a $30 rebate and a copy of Ground Zeroes.

kicks the poo poo out of Amazon Prime Day.

Wow

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

Amaze deal

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Oh i see

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mutation posted:

So Newegg is having a "We won some thing in court" sale and they're selling a Gigabyte brand 970 for $309.99, and it includes a $30 rebate and a copy of Ground Zeroes whoops I am an rear end Metal Gear Solid 5.

They're also selling 285s for around $180s that come with $20 rebates. kicks the poo poo out of Amazon Prime Day.

Your should know by now that Newegg doesn't put things on sale, they only have occasions where they step up their advertising.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unf, wanna sell my Gigabyte WindForce 290 and get this WindForce 970 instead.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Your should know by now that Newegg doesn't put things on sale, they only have occasions where they step up their advertising.

Maybe, but I didn't see that deal yesterday, and today that card is a goddamn deal.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Optimus Subprime posted:

I'm not sure about MGS personally, but all reports were that Ground Zeroes was insanely well optimized so I wouldn't worry too much about TPP. I played the Witcher 3 for a while on my old 7950 at 1080p, and on high settings (hair works off, obviously) it was usually at 30-40 fps, with occasional dips into the low 20s.

That said, I recently picked up a 970 and it's pretty damned awesome!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there any scenario where buying that 970 for $270 and selling my 290 for ~$200 after Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping makes sense?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any scenario where buying that 970 for $270 and selling my 290 for ~$200 after Ebay/Paypal fees and shipping makes sense?

The scenario where you really want a 970. You know you do. :getin:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Josh Lyman posted:

Just promise to OC it and that $70 will seem worthwhile. Also a 290 and a 970 are on the opposite ends of the performance/heat/noise/whatever/blah spectrum so you can pretend like that is another reason

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

If you were planning on buying MGS5 anyways then it's like you're only spending ten dollars!

also the other reasons people stated before, AND that Nvidia's software is much nicer.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mutation posted:

If you were planning on buying MGS5 anyways then it's like you're only spending ten dollars!

also the other reasons people stated before, AND that Nvidia's software is much nicer.

Oh yeah. If youdont want it you can sell it. I sold mine on SA mart in an hour

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So is there something you have to do to get your cd key or did it just get sent to your email? Wondering if I need to get on the chat with Amazon again.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

veedubfreak posted:

So is there something you have to do to get your cd key or did it just get sent to your email? Wondering if I need to get on the chat with Amazon again.

I just got sent it in my email, from Newegg though. A straight serial key, no links, but thats how every nvidia promotion has been for me so I imagine amazon is the same

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The scenario where you really want a 970. You know you do. :getin:

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Just promise to OC it and that $70 will seem worthwhile. Also a 290 and a 970 are on the opposite ends of the performance/heat/noise/whatever/blah spectrum so you can pretend like that is another reason

Mutation posted:

I hate you all so, so much. Annnd bought.

Who wants to buy my WindForce 290? Warranty is good through April 2017. :v:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Holy hell, 3dmark is 1.6gb.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › GPU Megathread - Just buy the 970 already

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Josh Lyman posted:

I hate you all so, so much. Annnd bought.

Who wants to buy my WindForce 290? Warranty is good through April 2017. :v:

This is hardly an unknown trick, but tonight set it for a 3 day auction on ebay and start at 0.01. People watch the poo poo out of those and you will pretty much always get what you were going to anyways if not more. The only real tip to this is list so that it ends on Friday or Saturday night

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is hardly an unknown trick, but tonight set it for a 3 day auction on ebay and start at 0.01. People watch the poo poo out of those and you will pretty much always get what you were going to anyways if not more. The only real tip to this is list so that it ends on Friday or Saturday night
I thought Sunday nights were best for auctions, followed by Tuesday and Thursday?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I just go for "weekend". Sunday may indeed be best. Can't say I agree with Tuesday or Thursday, but im sure there are numbers out there to prove me wrong

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Man, these will be seen as better days once Nvidia has total market control.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mutation posted:

Man, these will be seen as better days once Nvidia has total market control.

What, do you not believe that our benevolent dictator won't try to price the 1070 or whatever they'll call it at $500 because of, uh, "reasons"? NVidia has a long history of ensuring that their customers get excellent performance for the value, and are never fleeced or overcharged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Per the parts picking thread can anyone confirm that a GPU operating at x16 shows no real FPS increase than operating in x8?

(PCIE 3.0 if it matters)