Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

MrWillsauce posted:

I'm trying to think of what kind of disaster could transform the oceans into giant deserts of salt. I don't actually think that's what's being portrayed in the movie, but I thought it was a neat idea.

The complete destruction of the atmosphere and a runaway greenhouse effect like on venus, or somehow you open up a 322 million cubic mile hole in the crust and then cover it up so no water can escape. Anything that could get rid of the oceans would also make it impossible to live on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The nuclear war awoke Godzilla who mid-rampage pulled out the big cork plugging up the bottom of the Pacific. You notice there's no mole-people in any of the Mad Max movies, either, that's why, they all drowned.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I don't think they're implying the oceans disappeared, just that they receded greatly. It's basically a nuclear ice age. Even during an ice age, Australia doesn't really change much from how it is nowadays (an apocalyptic hellhole :v:).

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It'd be weird if something dried up the huge amount of water in the Pacific Ocean but somehow didn't dry up the muddy swamp the war rig gets stuck in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

One thing I've notice in repeated viewings is the use of transfusions as an exchange. Much of the imagery in Fury Road is about the physical and mental bonds that tie people together as well as human life being a commodity. There are many times when a physical link is formed between two people or two objects. Most of the time, it's used to chain and dehumanize people. Immortan Joe drains milk from pregnant woman through a pump system. Nux uses an IV and chain to make Max into his blood bag. Nux's chain gets snagged in the War Rig and prevents him from killing Furiosa for Joe.

However, we also see links used to uplift people. Nux uses a winch tied to a tree to get the War Rig out of the mud in the swamps. More importantly, there is the closeup of the umbilical cord the surgeon holds up from Splendid's unborn child. You can look at the umbilical cord as the ultimate form of one person selflessly giving to another. So when Max willingly gives blood to Furiosa to save her life, we see him embrace his humanity and bond he has built with her.

Probably an overcharged greenhouse effect that happens over much larger time period than 30 years.

Yeah, the film does a two-sided thing with it. It show sit as a bond between people but also shows other people exploiting that bond for profit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

It'd be weird if something dried up the huge amount of water in the Pacific Ocean but somehow didn't dry up the muddy swamp the war rig gets stuck in.

Eh, there could be an aquifer or spring in the place of the crows, but since the water contaminated with radioactive material, it's useless. Also the ocean didn't "dry up" so much as stay accumulated and frozen in the northern hemisphere.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
The whole "160 days of salt" line isn't meant to be taken literally. It's Max's way of hammering home the point that they have no idea what to expect on any exodus across the salt flats, but that it's likely not good. Meanwhile they know the Citadel is there for the taking. "Hope", that they will find something better by running, is as he says, a mistake.

So yeah, I don't think it's correct to assume that the oceans are totally gone, just receded.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Can we just put this in the OP instead of talking about it twice per page?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LogisticEarth posted:

The whole "160 days of salt" line isn't meant to be taken literally. It's Max's way of hammering home the point that they have no idea what to expect on any exodus across the salt flats, but that it's likely not good. Meanwhile they know the Citadel is there for the taking. "Hope", that they will find something better by running, is as he says, a mistake.

So yeah, I don't think it's correct to assume that the oceans are totally gone, just receded.

"We could maybe ride for about 160 days" Furiosas line.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's in the OP now. whether or not anyone will acknowledge it is another thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snak posted:

Can we just put this in the OP instead of talking about it twice per page?

Not until everyone agrees with me that the oceans are gone because someone took the plug out of the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and it all went down the drain. :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, for what it's worth. I know I suggested it, but thinking about it, I kind of doubt people read the op on a 200+ page thread.

Also, I didn't realize that the Mad Max game came out the same day as the Fury Road bluray. Neat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I know I'm late as gently caress, but I just saw this movie on Monday and holy gently caress it was good. I kinda want to see the other Mad Max movies now but a part of me is worried they can't possibly live up to the over the top awesome insanity of this movie.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I do not actually exist.

I bullshit, therefore I am

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda want to see the other Mad Max movies now but a part of me is worried they can't possibly live up to the over the top awesome insanity of this movie.

Speaking of full of poo poo.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

I kinda want to see the other Mad Max movies now but a part of me is worried they can't possibly live up to the over the top awesome insanity of this movie.

Free your mind from the fear of disappointment.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I ordered the Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome on DVD off Amazon because they were cheap in a two pack and I already saw the first one years ago (I was disappointed that it wasn't the insane post-apocalyptic stuff you generally associate with Mad Max - it turns out that was the next two movies.) Right now I want some more insane biker gangs wearing leather with spikes welded onto their cars.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know I'm late as gently caress, but I just saw this movie on Monday and holy gently caress it was good. I kinda want to see the other Mad Max movies now but a part of me is worried they can't possibly live up to the over the top awesome insanity of this movie.

They really don't live up to this one. I just watched The Road Warrior again this weekend, and it's undeniably badass, but it's not :perfect: like Fury Road is. It's worth watching all three of them once though, if only to see all the stunts and scenes that they did callbacks to in Fury Road.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Network Pesci posted:

I just watched The Road Warrior again this weekend, and it's undeniably badass, but it's not :perfect: like Fury Road is.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Network Pesci posted:

They really don't live up to this one. I just watched The Road Warrior again this weekend, and it's undeniably badass, but it's not :perfect: like Fury Road is. It's worth watching all three of them once though, if only to see all the stunts and scenes that they did callbacks to in Fury Road.

It's worth remembering that the old trilogy is 30-40 years old at this point, and much lower budget. They have varying elements of fantasy layered in too. Fury Road is a much more focused story with some bombastic characters and amazing visuals. It's all about one giant car chase.

Really this is one series that does benefit from watching chronologically. Mad Max is an indie flick that spends a lot of time on the slow social collapse, and sets up Max's downfall. At the end you're waiting to see where he's going next.

Then it's like:

Road Warrior: I Live
Beyond Thunderdome: I Die
Fury Road: I Live Again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Road Warrior remains one of the greatest films ever made. This is like being afraid to go back to watch Eraserhead because Mulholland Drive was so drat good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Going into The Road Warrior expecting it to be the non-stop pounding action of Fury Road is a really great way to ruin a fantastic movie. It has shared virtues with Fury Road, but it's not just more Fury Road, often to its benefit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So really, I should have watched the Road Warrior first, in other words.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now's a good a time as any to realize that a film is more than just its immediate stimuli.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You should watch them in any order because there is virtually no continuity between any of them and they are all excellent films on their own merits. You did yourself a huge favor by kopping the DVDs. Enjoy, my friend!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

eh... The Road Warrior is the same type of story as Fury Road, but it's not the same sub-genre. By today's standards, The Road Warrior is a drama. It delivers a similar amount of dramatic visual storytelling as Fury Road, but it does not have the same frantic, pedal-to-the-metal pace. It doesn't mean it's "less good", but you have to go into it knowing that it's not the same meta-genre.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Movies aren't an arms race.

and Road Warrior is still the best

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They're all good but all very different from each other, so as long as you don't expect the balls out intensity of Fury Road they're all still big fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cakefool posted:

Just because she is able to estimate how long they're able to drive based on their supplies doesn't mean that she knows what is out there to drive to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

eh... The Road Warrior is the same type of story as Fury Road, but it's not the same sub-genre. By today's standards, The Road Warrior is a drama. It delivers a similar amount of dramatic visual storytelling as Fury Road, but it does not have the same frantic, pedal-to-the-metal pace. It doesn't mean it's "less good", but you have to go into it knowing that it's not the same meta-genre.

It's the same genre. It was made in 1980.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

SirSamVimes posted:

Just because she is able to estimate how long they're able to drive based on their supplies doesn't mean that she knows what is out there to drive to.

Not to mention that if you drive 40 mph for 8 hours a day, you'll completely circumnavigate the entire planet in 80 days.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goreld posted:

Not to mention that if you drive 40 mph for 8 hours a day, you'll completely circumnavigate the entire planet in 80 days.

That's assuming they drive for 8 hours a day, instead of stopping regularly for rests, eating, and maintenance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chitoryu12 posted:

That's assuming they drive for 8 hours a day, instead of stopping regularly for rests, eating, and maintenance.
Plus I'm sure they'd fan out with the bikes and scout ahead, it would be rather embarrassing if they went thirty miles south of the New Green Place and never saw it because they were going in a straight line.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if, when people would tell stories like for example http://www.indians.org/welker/coyoduck.htm , some bugger would chime up and point out that there's no way a female duck could carry a basket big enough to hold a bunch of coyote children as well as a bunch of duck children and at any rate a bat couldn't catch a duck.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Ugh, my coworker went on a rant today about how MMFR "really wasn't a good film," because "the story was weak and it was all style over substance" and how the "many female characters can't make up for zero worldbuilding"

I didn't say anything in response because we're not really friends but it made me mad. There's a difference between subtle worldbuilding where you might have to make an inference or two versus NO worldbuilding at all. Plus there were too drat many clever moments of characterization to even count. The movie was rich with detail, it's not the director's fault you're too dumb to notice it!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

FourLeaf posted:

Ugh, my coworker went on a rant today about how MMFR "really wasn't a good film," because "the story was weak and it was all style over substance"

Tell that sucka that style is substance.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cakefool posted:

For comparison, the trip from wherever the Broken Hills refinery to Bludgeoners'Surfers' Paradise is said to be 2000 miles by at least one character in Road Warrior and the Airtruk's maximum range is about 800 miles, which would put Thunderdome somewhere in the Strzelecki Desert considering they find Sydney at the end. There's also a bunch of major salt flats in that area as well.

Honestly, Max could have just refused to leave the desert in the last three movies. That whole area is pretty huge and the lack of steady fuel, exposure and the threat of ambushes and bandits reduces your range inside it, that desert isn't impassable.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 30, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FourLeaf posted:

Ugh, my coworker went on a rant today about how MMFR "really wasn't a good film," because "the story was weak and it was all style over substance" and how the "many female characters can't make up for zero worldbuilding"

I didn't say anything in response because we're not really friends but it made me mad. There's a difference between subtle worldbuilding where you might have to make an inference or two versus NO worldbuilding at all. Plus there were too drat many clever moments of characterization to even count. The movie was rich with detail, it's not the director's fault you're too dumb to notice it!
:sigh::hf::sigh:
Coworkers with terrible, terrible movie tastes are the worst. The "best" part is that they all consider me the one with horrible taste because I hosted a couple of Bad Movie Nights (Troll 2, Plan 9, etc) and because I don't fawn over every superhero movie. MY tastes are objectively superior you peons :reject:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the same genre. It was made in 1980.

They are both post-apocalyptic action movies. So yes, they share that genre. But action movies today and action movies 30 years ago are very different, the "action" genre has evolved. That's all I was alluding to. You can't compare them like you'd compare John Wick and Fury Road.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Cakefool posted:

I don't see the problem with this line. They're riding into a desert that looks even less hospitable than the one they're leaving, with no map, and no specific destination in mind. Presumably, the 160 days allows for quite a lot of doubling back, and general wandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

They are both post-apocalyptic action movies. So yes, they share that genre. But action movies today and action movies 30 years ago are very different, the "action" genre has evolved. That's all I was alluding to. You can't compare them like you'd compare John Wick and Fury Road.

It's changed somewhat, but Fury Road has not utterly redefined what a film or even what a car chase film is. You can directly compare them. I am alluding to the fact that the idea that a movie made pre MTV is hard to appreciate is silly.

• Locked thread