Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Crazy Achmed posted:

Sharps tried to autocorrect to disastrous, I think my phone is trying to tell you something.

If you want to instill that fear of getting grazed or hit into yourself, just fence sabre without priority, allow one single hit only, and the loser buys beers for the winner.

This is a great idea. Does anyone else have kid-friendly ways to give consequences to losing without risking a Darwin award? I find in my classes some of the kids need to work on fencing under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try push-ups or planks. Healthy and motivating! :v:

If you want to reward survival, start with a high number of reps and take a few off for every 10 seconds the loser managed to stay in the game.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
They say the problem with "do X exercise" as a consequence for losing is that you're turning stuff they should be doing anyways into a punishment. Not that anyone likes doing them in the first place, and it's not like there's much other leverage for a coach. Instead of punishing losing, you might want to punish specific actions (like a bad habit they have), with the punishment being something silly. One of my past coaches had been known to mandate the chicken dance if someone tried to parry in a no-parry drill.

Or maybe the club needs some cleaning?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tirinal posted:

The first is understandable, but if you're lacking candidates for the second then you really need to spend more time in the world.

Nah, I just don't spar with people I want to hurt. It leads to bad form. :v:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

dupersaurus posted:

They say the problem with "do X exercise" as a consequence for losing is that you're turning stuff they should be doing anyways into a punishment. Not that anyone likes doing them in the first place, and it's not like there's much other leverage for a coach. Instead of punishing losing, you might want to punish specific actions (like a bad habit they have), with the punishment being something silly. One of my past coaches had been known to mandate the chicken dance if someone tried to parry in a no-parry drill.

Or maybe the club needs some cleaning?

On the other hand, you can make people really good at planks/pushups/burpees/running laps.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Gadamer posted:

On the other hand, you can make people really good at planks/pushups/burpees/running laps.

That's why you start class with everyone doing those!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
The major members of my class are going to Baltimore for a competition this weekend. Are any of you going there? Hopefully with a week off my quads will stop being sore.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Does tennis elbow ever actually stop being a problem

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

i'll trade you my wrists and ankles for your elbow

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
my ankles are too dainty for uncouth pike-work

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

thewireguy posted:

The major members of my class are going to Baltimore for a competition this weekend. Are any of you going there? Hopefully with a week off my quads will stop being sore.

I'm going along with the majority of my school.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Mine got better with PT and using this weird rubber therapy bar for exercises a lot. So... maybe?

Also, about using sharps, I've never gotten the chance to but I really, really want to, mostly for my own personal understanding. Some of us have tried to fake that kind of "point-fear" and push home the idea of defense before everything else with betting on who buys dinner and the like, but that's just not the same, I don't think. It just seems like a lot of concepts will click home for me in a very different way at that point.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm going along with the majority of my school.

Cool, somebody better post this on the internets.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My guys are Atlanta freifetcher.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ScratchAndSniff posted:

This is a great idea. Does anyone else have kid-friendly ways to give consequences to losing without risking a Darwin award? I find in my classes some of the kids need to work on fencing under pressure.
What kind of pressure? I've also done stuff like: starting the bout with one person right on the back line, forbidding one fencer from stepping backwards, only awarding points from a parry/riposte, etc.
As far as consequences from losing go, how about doing a 1-hit king of the hill or knockout tournament? A small prize for the winner might have the same effect as the threat of having to do burpees/etc, but feel a lot more positive.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I'm trying to replicate that "competition jitters" feeling. Pushups and stuff don't really work, since when I've tried it everyone just does a whole bunch to show off anyway, win or lose. Club tournaments are great, but can be hard to swing in smaller classes.

Restricted/handicapped bouting is fun, but I don't feel like it prepares someone in quite the way I'm going for.

I do like the idea of offering a reward instead of a punishment for the loser. I may play with that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I'm trying to replicate that "competition jitters" feeling. Pushups and stuff don't really work, since when I've tried it everyone just does a whole bunch to show off anyway, win or lose. Club tournaments are great, but can be hard to swing in smaller classes.

Restricted/handicapped bouting is fun, but I don't feel like it prepares someone in quite the way I'm going for.

I do like the idea of offering a reward instead of a punishment for the loser. I may play with that.

Put them into 2 teams and punish the losing group. Whatever exercise you choose, make sure that they do it properly. (Push-ups with straight backs, chest to the ground, all the way up). Burpees *always* works as it's very hard to do short cuts on them. Nothing like a bit of peer pressure to make sure you win.
Play winners stays. (1 touch/hit only). If you're cruel, play loser stays, but be aware of weaker players ego.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

My first (non-club) foil just arrived in the mail! Hooray!

What are some good things to do just to practice at home? I'm sure this has been asked but I really didn't feel like combing the thread. I can do general fitness training and footwork no problem but I'm most interested in being able to drill for point/blade technique when I'm not at practices.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

strangemusic posted:

What are some good things to do just to practice at home? I'm sure this has been asked but I really didn't feel like combing the thread. I can do general fitness training and footwork no problem but I'm most interested in being able to drill for point/blade technique when I'm not at practices.

Getting comfortable with the point is key. Hang something up by a string (soda can, tennis ball, golf ball, w/e) and lunge at it over and over. Boring, but effective. If it gets too easy, see how many full lunges with hits you can do in a minute and/or how far you can accurately lunge.

Advance, retreat, lunge, etc. in front of a mirror. Try to figure out how/where/when your form looks weak, and self-correct. Do this with parries, too, if you know how they should look.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Put them into 2 teams and punish the losing group. Whatever exercise you choose, make sure that they do it properly. (Push-ups with straight backs, chest to the ground, all the way up). Burpees *always* works as it's very hard to do short cuts on them. Nothing like a bit of peer pressure to make sure you win.
Play winners stays. (1 touch/hit only). If you're cruel, play loser stays, but be aware of weaker players ego.

Good ideas. I'll try to incorporate these into my next class.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
My humble naginata dojo just had a jukendo demonstration. Holy hell I think I found my new favorite martial art. The Marines taught me to stick them with the point end, I had no idea there could be so much more than just stab them in the chest.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

strangemusic posted:

Swag. What make/model is it?

Han Feizi posted:

My humble naginata dojo just had a jukendo demonstration. Holy hell I think I found my new favorite martial art. The Marines taught me to stick them with the point end, I had no idea there could be so much more than just stab them in the chest.
What weapon did you learn in the marines? And tell us about jukendo, I'm guessing it's a Japanese thing related to regular kendo?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jukendo is sort of sportified bayonet practice.

Edit: Oh hey, turns out Longpoint happened over the weekend. Here's the recorded stream of the finals. Stuff begins at 15:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8HoiDK0Bw

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 27, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Han Feizi posted:

Great timing, we were just talking about bayonet combat in the military history thread. Did they demonstrate any bayonet vs sword techniques?

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014

Crazy Achmed posted:

Swag. What make/model is it?

What weapon did you learn in the marines? And tell us about jukendo, I'm guessing it's a Japanese thing related to regular kendo?

We learn basic bayonet drills, nothing too fancy. Disrupts, thrusts, butt strokes and the like. Nothing close to jukendo though. As pointed out above it's bayonet fencing. The level of detail and precision involved blows my mind. I never would have thought that such a simple weapon could be so, well, elegant.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Great timing, we were just talking about bayonet combat in the military history thread. Did they demonstrate any bayonet vs sword techniques?

They did demonstrate tankendo, fighting with just the bayonet in hand vs the mokuju, the mounted bayonet. Here's a kata I just found on YouTube. Pretty nifty stuff. It's not a sword mind you, but I'm sure it would translate somewhere along the line.

http://youtu.be/BcZDS-bllPk

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

P-Mack posted:

There's some sparring here, but haven't been able to find any demonstration of the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zYKYzTmRI (around 4:40)

(Note, the kendo guy is not very good)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 28, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzEwsnkMR2c

I love the way these guys fence. I'm not sure how good they are as I've never met them in person or seen them fight outside of their school, but it's just so fluid and snappy. It really inspires me to work more from the bind and to grab for my opponent's weapon.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Verisimilidude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzEwsnkMR2c

I love the way these guys fence. I'm not sure how good they are as I've never met them in person or seen them fight outside of their school, but it's just so fluid and snappy. It really inspires me to work more from the bind and to grab for my opponent's weapon.

Goddamn, I wish I could find somewhere around here that taught this stuff.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Have you tried the HEMA club finder?

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Just about to order some Trvana Feders from Regenyei for some Lichtenaeur. Anyone had any experience with them being slightly longer? My measuring would suggest I'd get something around 143cm but that's starting to push into Spadone territory. Has anyone tried the Feders with a 103cm blade and 34cm hilt?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Hey versimilitude (sp)? How did you/yall so? The main guy got gold in wrestling and another got 3rdor 4th place.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Red Herring posted:

Just about to order some Trvana Feders from Regenyei for some Lichtenaeur. Anyone had any experience with them being slightly longer? My measuring would suggest I'd get something around 143cm but that's starting to push into Spadone territory. Has anyone tried the Feders with a 103cm blade and 34cm hilt?

The Trvana is supposed to be one of the better feders on the market currently. I know the feder by Pavel Moc is larger, and that's still safely within the realm of the longsword.

thewireguy posted:

Hey versimilitude (sp)? How did you/yall so? The main guy got gold in wrestling and another got 3rdor 4th place.

We did pretty well. I didn't fence because I signed up late, but most of our people are relatively new to the scene (maybe less than a year or two) and they almost all advanced in their pools. I think my teacher Tristan got gold in wrestling in his weight class, and maybe 4th in cutting? He usually wins cutting every year, but this year Dustin Reagan went ape and owned everyone at everything, taking first in open longsword, cutting, and the triathalon. The dude won basically all the good prizes, which you can see here.

The sharp sword itself is worth more than $1300. Not too shabby.

edit: Also HEMA gifs!

http://i.imgur.com/deT3mlX.gifv

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 31, 2015

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The Trvana is supposed to be one of the better feders on the market currently. I know the feder by Pavel Moc is larger, and that's still safely within the realm of the longsword.

We did pretty well. I didn't fence because I signed up late, but most of our people are relatively new to the scene (maybe less than a year or two) and they almost all advanced in their pools. I think my teacher Tristan got gold in wrestling in his weight class, and maybe 4th in cutting? He usually wins cutting every year, but this year Dustin Reagan went ape and owned everyone at everything, taking first in open longsword, cutting, and the triathalon. The dude won basically all the good prizes, which you can see here.

A sword trophy? Sweet. I wish I could do that kick flip to standing up move, but I am getting too old for that poo poo. Y'all keep up the good work. I got in my copy of the art of combat, but this is probably not going to do me any good. Reading and doing are different things and I don't get the subtleties. Ah well. Time for bed, class tomorrow.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

What's the name for that style of sword on the bottom? The kind with the non-fullered blade and big chunky rectangular ricasso?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a feder. It's originally a post-15th century training weapon that got revived fairly recently. That particular one is one of Peter Regenyei's Trnava models.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Siivola posted:

Have you tried the HEMA club finder?

I have, yeah. There are 3 in my area. One practices in a large park's baseball diamond on Sundays, one literally practices in the grassy area in one of the member's apartment complex, and one is called the Arcane Combat Society and they do large re-enactments.

And on the topic of regular fencing, is a $500 annual membership fee and $150 a month for 2 weekly classes around the norm for pricing?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Siivola posted:

It's a feder. It's originally a post-15th century training weapon that got revived fairly recently. That particular one is one of Peter Regenyei's Trnava models.

Is there any substantial difference between a feder with plain rectangular ricasso and the kind with a spurred trapezoidal ricasso?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

10 Beers posted:

I have, yeah. There are 3 in my area. One practices in a large park's baseball diamond on Sundays, one literally practices in the grassy area in one of the member's apartment complex, and one is called the Arcane Combat Society and they do large re-enactments.

And on the topic of regular fencing, is a $500 annual membership fee and $150 a month for 2 weekly classes around the norm for pricing?
Olympic? You're not too far off, though it varies. What kind of classes are you getting? Individual or group? Its been a long while, but I payed ~$30 for a 20m individual lesson and ~30 for an hour group, which covered floor fees and open bouting as well, but both were with some good coaches in an expensive area. There was also a membership fee that I don't recall because I was there for about 6 weeks and they pro-rated it for me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

10 Beers posted:

I pay $180/month for three classes a week and unlimited open bouting, no extra fees. But I may be in a cheaper area to live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

10 Beers posted:

One practices in a large park's baseball diamond on Sundays,

Hello. Get your rear end out to the sandlot and join us some time. Of the three groups in the area, we're the only true HEMA group. I've practiced/sparred with the guys at the apartment complex, and they're mostly into some bastardized amalgamation of asian bushido and Tallhoffer's works. I don't even think Arcane Combat Society is still around, since most of them joined up with the local SCA group. We stick to the park cause nobody wants to fork over cash every weekend to rent out space somewhere. We have plenty of spare feder's and gear though, so if you just are curious you can come check it out. We don't have membership fee's or anything like that.

Re: $500 membership: Is that Louisville Fencing Club? Maestro Stawicki is pretty fantastic, trained under him for about 5 years, but that cost just seems asinine on top of the $150 a month cost unless like Ravenfood said you're training for high level competition.