Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

You can just make her give you the notes back by choosing the right dialogue options.

Also succubus was exactly the same in the other Witcher games - they're not killing men. Victims only appear when men kill other men out of jealousy about the succubus. That's not a reason to kill an intelligent creature with an extreme swinger lifestyle :v:.

Ahh.

And yeah, I just meant the life-force thing. I thought in Witcher 2 part of the succubus's argument as to why she wouldn't be killing men was that it was against her best interest. Also when you choose to sleep with her, it's like "ur a witcher, you wont miss a tiny bit a life force, you have plenty to spare"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
Too add to the discussion of White Frost, it's also very similar to Fimbulwinter, another element from Norse Mythology, and goes well with Skellige and their warring families/clans.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

You can just make her give you the notes back by choosing the right dialogue options.

Also succubus was exactly the same in the other Witcher games - they're not killing men. Victims only appear when men kill other men out of jealousy about the succubus. That's not a reason to kill an intelligent creature with an extreme swinger lifestyle :v:.

Nah she definitely killed people in Witcher 3. also decoction is a good reason.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In self-defense. If you killed her you a murderer.

edit: So wait, you think the villagers murdered by the Cat Witcher deserved it, you let Letho go, and you think that it's okay to murder a succubus in cold blood. loving lol.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 29, 2015

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She killed people to conceal herself. That was why I destroyed her.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bemis posted:

She killed people to conceal herself. That was why I destroyed her.

Did she? I though she only killed the soldiers that were harassing her...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

In self-defense. If you killed her you a murderer.

edit: So wait, you think the villagers murdered by the Cat Witcher deserved it, you let Letho go, and you think that it's okay to murder a succubus in cold blood. loving lol.

She killed those guys so she could keep harvesting life force from others. So yea I'll kill her. Skellige succubus I have no problem with.

I mean maybe if those guys paid her to harvest their life force or to gently caress then tried to kill her I could see the cat witcher comparison. lmao

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

Did she? I though she only killed the soldiers that were harassing her...

Yes, she killed people because they were trying to shiv her to death for "harvesting the life force" from their sweet, innocent brothers-in-arms. Succubi don't "harvest life force" from people. They just really, really like to get it on. They're a danger to human communities only because people would rather blame a succubus' eeeevil corrupting influence than their own libidos when good townsfolk drop dead from too much fuckin', and then try to form lynch mobs against creatures that could break a small tree with their bare hands.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, she killed people because they were trying to shiv her to death for "harvesting the life force" from their sweet, innocent brothers-in-arms. Succubi don't "harvest life force" from people. They just really, really like to get it on. They're a danger to human communities only because people would rather blame a succubus' eeeevil corrupting influence than their own libidos when good townsfolk drop dead from too much fuckin', and then try to form lynch mobs against creatures that could break a small tree with their bare hands.

I mean, I agree with what you say here, if you're not being sarcastic. I'm not entirely sure.

This game is so good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, I agree with what you say here, if you're not being sarcastic. I'm not entirely sure.

This game is so good.

I'm being serious, yeah. This stuff comes right out of the in-game bestiary.

It's telling that every mission in the Witcher series that involved succubi had them as scapegoats for human (or elven) stupidity.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

I'm being serious, yeah. This stuff comes right out of the in-game bestiary.

It's telling that every mission in the Witcher series that involved succubi had them as scapegoats for human (or elven) stupidity.

yeah, that's a lot of monsters, really. And people. For example, it's really easy for me to look at Witchers and Sorceresses as "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" steriotypes, which they are. But the whole setting isn't really sexist like that. Non-sorceress women (and non-Witcher men) don't fit those stereotypes. It's almost as if the setting is about how old views of the world, magic, superstition, and monsters, as scapegoats for the flaws of humanity are going out of the world. In the world of the witcher, the nostalgic past is when Mages and Sorceresses were great, and Witchers were the a necessary evil against the monsters that opposed humanity. The great myth the The Lodge and the Witchers were necessary forces for good, and they are being wiped out by imperialism, but Radovid and Emhyr don't bring less evil with them, they just remove the scapegoats. When all the mages and all the witchers and all the non-humans, and even all the "monsters" are gone, the world won't be a better place, it will just have fewer scapegoats.

Geralt represents the pragmatic humanist. People don't like him, because, unlike many Witchers, he will often point out that the people and their selfish ways are the problem, not some monster. He recognizes that people can be just as monstrous as "monsters", and that killing monsters doesn't solve big problems, only little ones.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Whether or not gwent cards carry over in New Game+ is irrelevant to me. The important gwent tweak to me is making Scoia'tael or Monsters not total poo poo compared to Northern Realms or Nilfgaard.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

The succubus only told you that she never harms anyone and only acted in self-defense, who's to say she isn't lying?
And people dying from loving should not be a regular occurrence, no matter how high their libido is.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Leshen are the coolest enemy monster, and IDK why. The little "Here I go walking behind a tree - OH WAIT, I EMERGE FROM THIS ONE ;)" thing seems pretty cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

The beastiary says she doesn't want to hurt people, but they still get hurt or die anyways. Then she kills a bunch of guards to save her own rear end so she can keep being sloppy and careless while having fun, even if others die. She gets the sword.

Skellige succubus I had no problems with.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know what happens if you find a monster nest, kill everything that is guarding it, but then gently caress off without blowing up the nest? Will the monsters around the nest respawn in relatively short order? I need a way to farm Nekker Warrior hearts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Anyone know what happens if you find a monster nest, kill everything that is guarding it, but then gently caress off without blowing up the nest? Will the monsters around the nest respawn in relatively short order? I need a way to farm Nekker Warrior hearts.
Blow up the nest but don't loot everything in it. Come back in about a second and the contents will have refilled. Repeat endlessly as needed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Blow up the nest but don't loot everything in it. Come back in about a second and the contents will have refilled. Repeat endlessly as needed.
Right but what if there are not any Nekker Warrior Hearts in the nests? I want the actual monsters to respawn; I've abused that nest looking bug quite a bit already :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Snak posted:

As far as I know, the "canonical" Geralt has not murdered any villages. And the game doesn't let you attack (or injure in any way) innocent civilians, so I'm not sure how you managed to murder a village on your playthrough. I do vaguely recall an event a hundred+ hours ago where a village did turn on me and I did kill them all in self-defense, but they were all actively attacking me right up until they died. I did not chase them down as they fled and stab them in the back.

And yes, Geralt is actually a big softy, as Witchers go.

How did he get his Butcher of Blaviken moniker?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

He kills a bunch of bandits but the townspeople didn't know they were in fact bandits, so they thought he was just a huge loving murderer instead.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So I've finished the main story and crafted some master witcher gear. Are there any high level dungeon crawls/areas where I can go to explore? Everywhere I ran around too seems to range upto level 20 or so. I just want to explore and fight some higher level monsters (i'm level 35)!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Well there was this band of terrorists who implied that they were going to start massacring the people in the village market until the mage they wanted to murder came out of his tower. Geralt went to stop them. They were immediately hostile to him and he killed them all. No villagers were harmed. They weren't thrilled at the bloody dismemberment of what happens when a bunch of average-Joe criminals go up against the White Wolf.

edit: which reminds me of that mini-quest with the guy who keeps challenging you to a duel over some lady's honor. I let him go the first two times, and I never axiid him because then he wouldn't really be learning his lesson. When he showed up with two sidekicks and non of them surrendered after I drew first blood, I ended up killing them all very quickly with brutal finishers. I was planning to let them surrender, but they never really had a chance. I felt really bad about it. but then I read the guy's diary or whatever book he had on him and it revealed that he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat. So I felt a little better about it, which is obviously the point. But it worked. gently caress that guy.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 30, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Well what the gently caress how is he still stuck with that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Well what the gently caress how is he still stuck with that?

Because people are closeminded and cowardly? That's like a big theme in this world, where they would rather blame non-humans and magic users for everything wrong in the world.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
They were also dressed as villagers, no? It's been a while since I read The Last Wish.

Also worth noting he slept with their leader before he killed her and all her followers, because he's Geralt.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Snak posted:

Well there was this band of terrorists who implied that they were going to start massacring the people in the village market until the mage they wanted to murder came out of his tower. Geralt went to stop them. They were immediately hostile to him and he killed them all. No villagers were harmed. They weren't thrilled at the bloody dismemberment of what happens when a bunch of average-Joe criminals go up against the White Wolf.

edit: which reminds me of that mini-quest with the guy who keeps challenging you to a duel over some lady's honor. I let him go the first two times, and I never axiid him because then he wouldn't really be learning his lesson. When he showed up with two sidekicks and non of them surrendered after I drew first blood, I ended up killing them all very quickly with brutal finishers. I was planning to let them surrender, but they never really had a chance. I felt really bad about it. but then I read the guy's diary or whatever book he had on him and it revealed that he was a pretty big rear end in a top hat. So I felt a little better about it, which is obviously the point. But it worked. gently caress that guy.

Ah yes, the Don Quixote analogue. What did it say in his diary?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wish they had put the suggested levels up a bit for certain quests, because I'm teetering on the edge of getting 5 experience points for Family Matters and The Ladies of the Wood. I would've thought I'd be encouraged for checking out the points of interest on the way to each quest.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Leshen are the coolest enemy monster, and IDK why. The little "Here I go walking behind a tree - OH WAIT, I EMERGE FROM THIS ONE ;)" thing seems pretty cool.

Their design is so good, everything about them is completely unsettling. It was really cool in that one quest, where If you decide to perform the ritual instead of killing the forest spirit, you see it staring at you from behind for a split second before the cutscene ends. That quest in general was really well written, I ended up not killing the young guys even though I wanted to because the only reason I performed the ritual instead of hunting the beast was so the lady could be spared, so killing her lover seemed stupid. No real "right" way to complete that quest.

HORMELCHILI fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 30, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

Ah yes, the Don Quixote analogue. What did it say in his diary?

It was him recounting a time where he everheard someone complementing their girlfriend and he flipped out that someone dare say anyone but his lady is worthy of praise. He's basically going around attacking anyone who isn't in love with this chick who he's probably just stalking.

So while it's hosed up that him and his two friends got all dismembered for tangling with Geralt, if he's assaulting defenseless people, the world is better off without him

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm enjoying my second run-through so far, I've gone pure Alchemy and will probably stay that way. Just hit level 11 on this Death March run and I can finally start rocking Witcher gear. What's a good sword and runestone combo for Alchemy? I was thinking Feline plus added bleed to stack effects with the poison from my oils and fire from bombs, but are there better choices for an alchemist build?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Beeez posted:

I wish they had put the suggested levels up a bit for certain quests, because I'm teetering on the edge of getting 5 experience points for Family Matters and The Ladies of the Wood. I would've thought I'd be encouraged for checking out the points of interest on the way to each quest.

While I understand it's disappointing to only get a token 5 XP from quests because you just barely outlevel them, there's emphatically no need to try and min/max your quest XP by doing everything before they turn gray. You'll end up at least level 34-35 when you finish the game pretty much no matter what.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And also, the fact that quests are only challenging when they are 4-5 levels higher than you is already pretty bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

And also, the fact that quests are only challenging when they are 4-5 levels higher than you is already pretty bad

Difficulty in RPGs just depending on level in general sucks and is lazy and I wish it wasn't in games anymore.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Just met the famed bounty hunter Djenge Frett, which is pretty hilarious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jesus loving christ game - a random side quest on a tiny Skellige island with no question mark or boat marker or anything really, just an island like many other empty islands...but with a corpse that starts a quest that takes me back to Velen. Ok, the island had a lonely tree that made me curious but still CD Projekt, you crazy?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

While I understand it's disappointing to only get a token 5 XP from quests because you just barely outlevel them, there's emphatically no need to try and min/max your quest XP by doing everything before they turn gray. You'll end up at least level 34-35 when you finish the game pretty much no matter what.

Yeah, I know, I guess it just feels like I must've done something wrong, even though I knew going in that this was how it worked and that I was mainly doing everything for the enjoyment of the quests, rather than out of the expectation for a big EXP payday.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Palpek posted:

Jesus loving christ game - a random side quest on a tiny Skellige island with no question mark or boat marker or anything really, just an island like many other empty islands...but with a corpse that starts a quest that takes me back to Velen. Ok, the island had a lonely tree that made me curious but still CD Projekt, you crazy?

Once you've been to Skellige once its just fast-travel though. I like the quests where you have to switch areas because you can rack a couple up, travel over and take care of them, find some that bring you back to the other area, and repeat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NESguerilla posted:

Difficulty in RPGs just depending on level in general sucks and is lazy and I wish it wasn't in games anymore.
Yeah. As stated previously in this thread, it would have probably been more of a headache for CDPR to create and implement, but instead of Geralt of Riva, the Butcher of Blaviken, the White Wolf, the best swordsman in the north, needing to gain levels before he can hunt something is kinda silly. You should have access to 3/4 of the skills from the get-go, with alt-signs and alt-sword attacks gated behind putting some points into their respective trees, and everything is fightable from the beginning, but some things would require you to gain some extra skills/knowledge/equipment to better fight the monster/enemy. I am no videogame developer, but I think they could have come up with some sort of system so the enemies were more uniform but prep work would have been more important. Or something. Make it so mutagens make you more powerful rather than going in decoctions (while keeping decotions - adds opportunity cost :eng101: ).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I have nothing against traveling back to Velen. I was more referring to the fact that the quest is super easy to miss because it's at sea, on a random small island that you may never swim by unless you're clearing the question marks and not using harbor markers like I was at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I know, I guess it just feels like I must've done something wrong, even though I knew going in that this was how it worked and that I was mainly doing everything for the enjoyment of the quests, rather than out of the expectation for a big EXP payday.
I feel like the problem would be solved just by having the quest's level requirement not turn grey when you outlevel it and having quests give a set amount of xp that doesn't break the game in the end so that the player doesn't feel punished.