Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

One could also say the grind brings it down but I'm actually a fan of clearing areas until stuff stops respawning so far. Very different gameplay focus to approach it like that.

It's not intended that you actual do this. It's designed to be an anti poopsocking measure to keep you from grinding until the game becomes easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dewgy posted:

AGL is the most annoying stat. I only just started a character I'm finally having fun with in DAS2 after a few tries it, and the amount of up-front grinding I had to do to get a character who can dodge roll half a crap was depressing.

One could also say the grind brings it down but I'm actually a fan of clearing areas until stuff stops respawning so far. Very different gameplay focus to approach it like that.

You are absolutely not meant to grind until everything stops respawning. That's a completely self-imposed grind and I have no idea why you would make yourself do that. I think the only reason things stop respawning is so that if you hit a wall, you don't have to kill everything on your way back every time. I appreciated the change the first time I was stuck on pursuer and the noodle stooges.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It's mainly because I was loving bored of the game otherwise. :haw:

I was zenning out to it on a sick day and had my fun with it. Never felt like I had to do that with Demon's, DaS1, or Bloodborne, but it's working for me here.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

FInal Fantasy XIV does a lot of things right, but tying your item bank to your Retainers is not one of them.

For those who are not familiar, your character has Retainers that can do a bunch of different things for you. One of them is to store your gear. You get two Retainers for free and pay game currency for any more. The problem is that while you have different Retainers holding your gear, their inventory is not linked. So you have to individually summon and dismiss each retainer to check for items. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who's OCD about organizing.

It's not gear that's the problem, it's crafting materials. You can throw gear into your armoury chest in the inn room with the only penalty being that the spirit bonding will be reset to 0. For glamour pieces, special items or things you've traded in with special currencies it doesn't matter because you can't convert it to materia when the spiritbond is at 100% You also only pay something like 1-2$ more a month for the third and fourth Retainers.

No, the real problem is with crafting. gently caress crafting. You have to level up every single crafting class to get the cross class abilities to be able to craft worth a poo poo, and it'll take you 4 retainers worth of inventory to get there. I have friends who made their own private guild (freecompany) in the game just so they could get access to a personal company chest which serves as an additional retainer. ie 5 retainers worth of storage space and it's still not enough.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You are absolutely not meant to grind until everything stops respawning. That's a completely self-imposed grind and I have no idea why you would make yourself do that. I think the only reason things stop respawning is so that if you hit a wall, you don't have to kill everything on your way back every time. I appreciated the change the first time I was stuck on pursuer and the noodle stooges.

Yeah, it was intended as an anti-frustration feature but it kind of backfired because so much of the fanbase are turbospergs who want to grind the same enemy for hours.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

You can throw gear into your armoury chest in the inn room with the only penalty being that the spirit bonding will be reset to 0.

You can only do that with specific gear, stuff like holiday equipment or subscription awards or AF1 armor.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Witcher 3 on PS4 plays great, runs great, all around a great game.
Except some of even the most babby enemies (Drowners, for example) can wreck you if you're not paying attention. This by itself isn't a problem... except that the load times are absolute rear end if you're reloading a save.
It's not PS2 or PS3-era five minute load times to load a big level, but I somehow wish the designers were wizards able to compress the loading time a bit better - I personally wouldn't mind if the game did the standard "pop in the textures on a load a few seconds later" but I guess they didn't want that, or it didn't fit in with the way they built the game.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

SirPhoebos posted:

FInal Fantasy XIV does a lot of things right, but tying your item bank to your Retainers is not one of them.

For those who are not familiar, your character has Retainers that can do a bunch of different things for you. One of them is to store your gear. You get two Retainers for free and pay game currency for any more. The problem is that while you have different Retainers holding your gear, their inventory is not linked. So you have to individually summon and dismiss each retainer to check for items. I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who's OCD about organizing.

Smells like chocobos. Luckily I bought this bunch of carrots from a man who also teaches the art of building excel spreadsheets in his dojo near the co-op, and I just so happen to have the ability to reference my inventory from the very personal computer I use to interface with this game. Turns out, profiiency in excel can land me a wide variety of jobs which do not need to be directly relevent to my primary pursuit of becoming an herbalist/fisherman, since many windows can spring forth from a single display unit without destroying the immersion factor of my virtual vocational training.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Izumi Konata posted:

Smells like chocobos. Luckily I bought this bunch of carrots from a man who also teaches the art of building excel spreadsheets in his dojo near the co-op, and I just so happen to have the ability to reference my inventory from the very personal computer I use to interface with this game. Turns out, profiiency in excel can land me a wide variety of jobs which do not need to be directly relevent to my primary pursuit of becoming an herbalist/fisherman, since many windows can spring forth from a single display unit without destroying the immersion factor of my virtual vocational training.

By this logic, Pong needs no improvement, because if I find it failing in any way to completely entertain me I can open another game in another window.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, it was intended as an anti-frustration feature but it kind of backfired because so much of the fanbase are turbospergs who want to grind the same enemy for hours.

The only point I sperged out and ran into the despawn limit in that game was trying to get the random drops for outfits I wanted. Like the Alonne knight captain armor or Swordsman's Set pants. Had to reset a map or two to get those because Fashion Souls.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Witcher 3 on PS4 plays great, runs great, all around a great game.
Except some of even the most babby enemies (Drowners, for example) can wreck you if you're not paying attention. This by itself isn't a problem... except that the load times are absolute rear end if you're reloading a save.
It's not PS2 or PS3-era five minute load times to load a big level, but I somehow wish the designers were wizards able to compress the loading time a bit better - I personally wouldn't mind if the game did the standard "pop in the textures on a load a few seconds later" but I guess they didn't want that, or it didn't fit in with the way they built the game.

It's a lot faster on PC, which is what CD Projekt Red primarily designs for. I don't know if the console ports were in house but apparently they squeeze a lot out of the limited hardware, so who knows if that's as fast as load times can be. I've heard nothing but good things about the ports otherwise.

I love the game, but I hate crafting poo poo and the new alchemy system sucks compared to Witcher 2. I just want to kill poo poo and make poor decisions with lovely consequences.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Jul 30, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

I love the game, but I hate crafting poo poo and the new alchemy system sucks compared to Witcher 2. I just want to kill poo poo and make poor decisions with lovely consequences.

These two statements don't really line up because the new alchemy system is way less effort than the old one since you only ever have to make a potion/bomb/oil one time before you have a technically infinite supply, and you don't have to sit down and wait through a super slow animation anytime you want to use a potion. The crafting system is more or less unchanged minus the ability to dismantle things, but alchemy-related stuff was really streamlined.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

These two statements don't really line up because the new alchemy system is way less effort than the old one since you only ever have to make a potion/bomb/oil one time before you have a technically infinite supply, and you don't have to sit down and wait through a super slow animation anytime you want to use a potion. The crafting system is more or less unchanged minus the ability to dismantle things, but alchemy-related stuff was really streamlined.

I preferred the old system as it really hammered being prepared for combat and understanding what you are going to fight.The new system allows you to just drink poo poo during combat if it goes south fast(which in this game it can and will). Realizing it could just take some Swallow in combat with a noonwraith, allowing me to overpower it despite my fuckups was strange. Not a bad mechanic or anything, just something I'm not as big a fan of as I probably should be.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

FredMSloniker posted:

By this logic, Pong needs no improvement, because if I find it failing in any way to completely entertain me I can open another game in another window.

Spreadsheet crafting and grinding on useless jobs are supposed to be far from entertaining. Also, MMO Pong would be abused by those with the best pingrate, not necessarily the best talent. Alas, I hve been foiled, but having a finite stack of items would seem to be easier to reconcile in the offchance someone has friends with benefits who have admin access to a server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I liked what I saw of Dark Souls 2 a lot, but I have never played the first to reference it against. I really like the idea of a game that punishes stupidity and is unrelenting. It is just arduous to break the glass ceiling and "git gud". Bloodborne gave me a gun right at the start which is great because I discovered I could shoot a prick and then run away and he'd follow me allowing me to whittle down large groups. An annoying thing though are the elaborate skeleton messages and blood stains as I have gotten caught in them during fights. Also one guy placed a "beware of the ambush" warning right in the place that triggered the ambush, which admittedly was also quite funny.

You can do the same thing as the gun with a bow or a crossbow or a spell in dark souls to pull out enemies!

And yeah, troll messages are half the fun of dark souls cool asynchronous messaging system.

Half the time when you place a bullshit message lots of people upvote it, either because they appreciate the joke, because they fell for it and thought it was funny, or because they want to give it the illusion of a trusted message so other people fall for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've recently tried out RymdResa, a roguelike space exploration game that's heavy on the...atmosphere? It's bizarre how the game presents itself, almost in an abstract manner.

Anyway, the thing bringing down the game is me...for some reason, it's deeply unsettling for me. I can't explain it, but there's something about the game, whether it's the bizarre scale, abstract presentation, dreamlike quality, or something else that just makes me want to have nothing to do with it. The game itself is perfectly fine, albeit a little simple, but this nagging, unpleasant sensation will simply not go away when I play it.

Actually, I think I had the same feeling when fighting the final boss of Kingdom Hearts 2 (oddly enough)...something to do with giant open spaces, maybe?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

The games actually end up encouraging grinding with low chance random drops and needing to grind stats to equip all the fun stuff. Trying to grind all the humainity and items for covenants in the first dark souls was just boring busy work, but needed if you want to get all achievements.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Yeah the worst thing about Dark Souls 2 is that a bunch of cool looking armor and weapons have low drop chances and you can pretty easily grind the enemies that have them out of existence before you get them.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I've only played a bit of Dark Souls but my favourite message thing was "try jumping" next to every ledge. The first time I saw it I jumped and died.

Fine work but hole.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Amazing chest ahead.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Try rolling!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have no goddamn idea if wearing multiple +item find armor stacks. Or if they stack with a coin. They took away my item find stat from the statistics menu. But I still do it. Got me a predator face from the belltower invader that I wear with my belltower diapers.

The thing dragging DS2 down was how do you loving go into a goddamn standing structure windmill mountain, you can look straight up, there's a windmill, that's it, that's loving it, windmill and sky, how do you go inside the windmill, go up an elevator and enter a hell lava dimension. What the gently caress sense does that make? You could have gone down with that elevator, geniuses!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Krinkle posted:

I have no goddamn idea if wearing multiple +item find armor stacks. Or if they stack with a coin. They took away my item find stat from the statistics menu. But I still do it. Got me a predator face from the belltower invader that I wear with my belltower diapers.

The thing dragging DS2 down was how do you loving go into a goddamn standing structure windmill mountain, you can look straight up, there's a windmill, that's it, that's loving it, windmill and sky, how do you go inside the windmill, go up an elevator and enter a hell lava dimension. What the gently caress sense does that make? You could have gone down with that elevator, geniuses!

The level design and overall world design is terrible. Such a let down from ds1. I think the most baffling decision is huntsmans copse. Shortcut from bonfire to bonfire, then no ladder down to bonfire from end of level (just before the hanging bridge). :psyduck:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Those are fair criticisms to be sure. DS2 I feel had a better weapon selection and allowed more customization, but the level design was too "gamey". It didn't all come together the same way it did in DS1.

Zaphod42 posted:

For New Anor Londo you're right, its very clearly "you came to the wrong neighborhood", same with lots of nasty zones in Souls, but that isn't true of the graveyard. Its literally right at the start of the game, connected to firelink shrine, there's no text popup to warn you that you're in a different zone, and yet its filled with high level skeletons that are unkillable until you kill the necromancers that you don't even know about. The graveyard absolutely wrecks tons of early Dark Souls players and gives no indication that its the wrong direction to go.

Yeah, I enjoyed Lords as a Souls-ish game when I was between DS2 and Bloodborne, but its not a game that I find myself replaying over and over like with the main Souls games. Although the same is true of bloodborne too, so :v:

I feel like the constantly re-spawning skeletons give that warning. It IS lame that you can get all the way down there only to hit a block when you can't see anything. I'm sure more than one player fought and ground all the way down to the crypts, dying a billion times, fighting really tough necromancers and then hit an impenetrable wall when its pitch black and you can't proceed any further. I feel like that is pretty unfair. BUT, as mentioned, there are a ton of indicators that "Maybe you shouldn't be here". Where do you get that light anyways? Like Lost Izalith or something, REALLY deep into the game.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

TBH I try not to read anything Jastiger posts

Try saying that too my face, tough guy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jastiger posted:

Try saying that too my face, tough guy.

neildegrassetyson.jpg

The thing dragging down Heroes of the Storm is the lack of items, or at the very least making mobs worth something. There's very little incentive to "last-hit" any lane mobs because there's no money involved and you get XP anyways. The only reason to do so is for the rare talent that you may or may not choose anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've continued in the witcher 3 and the writing/story presentation are still great, but it's really becoming hard to ignore how janky the combat is. It kind of just doesn't work sometimes. Maybe the souls games have spoiled me.

Jastiger posted:

I feel like the constantly re-spawning skeletons give that warning. It IS lame that you can get all the way down there only to hit a block when you can't see anything. I'm sure more than one player fought and ground all the way down to the crypts, dying a billion times, fighting really tough necromancers and then hit an impenetrable wall when its pitch black and you can't proceed any further. I feel like that is pretty unfair. BUT, as mentioned, there are a ton of indicators that "Maybe you shouldn't be here". Where do you get that light anyways? Like Lost Izalith or something, REALLY deep into the game.

You get lanterns straight from the necromancers.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Pff, impenetrable wall when it's pitch black? Try impenetrable orange wall, like when Kaz got to the very bottom of Tomb of the Giants before finding Lower Undead Burg. For every dozen unfortunate souls who give up because they missed the right path and got killed over and over by spooky scary skeletons, there's a tale of futile gumption like Kaz's, and I like that the game allows for it.

I think it's been mentioned before but Dark Souls' marketing and reputation did new players a great disservice as far as getting them to understand beef walls. They find the doomhell skeletons or the intangible ghosts and think getting steamrolled by them is part of the Prepare To Die experience rather than a gating mechanism.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've continued in the witcher 3 and the writing/story presentation are still great, but it's really becoming hard to ignore how janky the combat is. It kind of just doesn't work sometimes. Maybe the souls games have spoiled me.

This was my problem with TW2. I enjoyed it the first time I played it, enough to go back to it a year or so later to try Iorveth's route... but I had played Dark Souls in the meantime and the combat was like pulling teeth. It's literally just a bad version of Souls combat and it's hard to stomach after you play those.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HMS Boromir posted:

Pff, impenetrable wall when it's pitch black? Try impenetrable orange wall, like when Kaz got to the very bottom of Tomb of the Giants before finding Lower Undead Burg. For every dozen unfortunate souls who give up because they missed the right path and got killed over and over by spooky scary skeletons, there's a tale of futile gumption like Kaz's, and I like that the game allows for it.

I think it's been mentioned before but Dark Souls' marketing and reputation did new players a great disservice as far as getting them to understand beef walls. They find the doomhell skeletons or the intangible ghosts and think getting steamrolled by them is part of the Prepare To Die experience rather than a gating mechanism.

ho ho ho ho thats what I'm talking about. Thats ridiculous and gives us all a bid of the schadenfreude. Poor guy.

You get lanterns straight from the necromancers.

Ah, didn't know that. Well then its still doable up until a certain point,.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like a previous poster said one of the hardest things about the Souls games I found was finding it hard to tell if an enemy was just "Dark Souls Hard" or a "You're not supposed to go here yet". For Bloodborne I have been assuming if I can do good damage to an enemy that's the right way even if they can kill me in a few hits. Currently rats are wrecking me but I can kill them with a strike or two

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I guess the last patch for The Witcher 3 rebalanced craftable items, maybe? All I know is I loaded my last save after not playing the game for a month and now all the items I had equipped are now two levels too high for me and if they come unequipped (and some missions take away your weapons or have you equip some special outfit) I can no longer equip them until I get a few more levels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Like a previous poster said one of the hardest things about the Souls games I found was finding it hard to tell if an enemy was just "Dark Souls Hard" or a "You're not supposed to go here yet". For Bloodborne I have been assuming if I can do good damage to an enemy that's the right way even if they can kill me in a few hits. Currently rats are wrecking me but I can kill them with a strike or two

Are you still just starting out the game in Yarnham? I can't think of any rats anywhere else so I may not be too helpful unfortunately.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Are you still just starting out the game in Yarnham? I can't think of any rats anywhere else so I may not be too helpful unfortunately.

Yeah! I do not get to game very much during the weeks with my research work so I only get to play an occasional evening so I have not progressed far. I went into the sewers after unlocking a shortcut to the Central Yarnham bonfire. I can beat the two big hulking creatures and the monsters in the sewer but as soon as I dropped down the first time a rat leapt on me from behind. The second time I approached two from the front and barely had a chance to attack before they both blasted forward and killed me in seconds.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jastiger posted:

ho ho ho ho thats what I'm talking about. Thats ridiculous and gives us all a bid of the schadenfreude. Poor guy.

He also did it without figuring out how to use the skull lantern because he put it in the wrong hand. It blew our minds when he figured out exact places to go to trick enemies into falling to their deaths so he could proceed.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Krinkle posted:

Rest assured, they stack.

Also re: respawning enemies, go into the Covenant of Champions, and enemies will never despawn. That is not true for some guys like the red phantom who is the only source of the non-see through Aurorus set, who only ever spawn once. Which is nonsense, but that was fixed by the Scholar of the First Sin edition: you just find the set there somewhere.

Though it did bug me when after playing Dark Souls 1 a bunch, I realized that the last enemy of a never-respawning type (like boars and gargoyles) would always drop their items (not the tail axe for the latter, but the helm, halberd and shield, sometimes all at once) and then I played DS2 which doesn't have such a nifty feature :saddowns:.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah! I do not get to game very much during the weeks with my research work so I only get to play an occasional evening so I have not progressed far. I went into the sewers after unlocking a shortcut to the Central Yarnham bonfire. I can beat the two big hulking creatures and the monsters in the sewer but as soon as I dropped down the first time a rat leapt on me from behind. The second time I approached two from the front and barely had a chance to attack before they both blasted forward and killed me in seconds.

You're going in mostly the correct way so don't worry about it. That sewer area has an... Eh, I can't think of the word so I'll call it an awning- up way at the top. It's all beams and such and there's a body on a chain with an item that you'll have to take a swing at. In general, I'd advise you to not forget two things: 1) remember to look up while inside of structures and buildings. 2) Don't forget that you've got a torch when you're in dark areas.

If you're still using the starting armor and haven't been able to level up yet, you're close. That sewer area has a little channel with some wrecked lifeboats and an item that'll let you level up in the Hunter's Dream. It gives you Insight. And if that stuff I just posted is true that's why those rats are hitting so hard.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

You're going in mostly the correct way so don't worry about it. That sewer area has an... Eh, I can't think of the word so I'll call it an awning- up way at the top. It's all beams and such and there's a body on a chain with an item that you'll have to take a swing at. In general, I'd advise you to not forget two things: 1) remember to look up while inside of structures and buildings. 2) Don't forget that you've got a torch when you're in dark areas.

If you're still using the starting armor and haven't been able to level up yet, you're close. That sewer area has a little channel with some wrecked lifeboats and an item that'll let you level up in the Hunter's Dream. It gives you Insight. And if that stuff I just posted is true that's why those rats are hitting so hard.

I went back and got some new armour at the Hunter's Dream a while ago, a leather longcoat looking thing and pirate hat. I have never levelled up though. Yeah I was on those beams and chopped down two bodies that had white glowing parts. The rats are tricky because I am in a tight area and they rush in so quickly and then kill me. Also they are a bit of a trek to get to so I don't get to practise on them frequently. Glad to hear I am heading right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmmyOk posted:

I went back and got some new armour at the Hunter's Dream a while ago, a leather longcoat looking thing and pirate hat. I have never levelled up though. Yeah I was on those beams and chopped down two bodies that had white glowing parts. The rats are tricky because I am in a tight area and they rush in so quickly and then kill me. Also they are a bit of a trek to get to so I don't get to practise on them frequently. Glad to hear I am heading right.

Not leveling up is why you're dying so easy. You need to level up whenever you can, your main focus for blood echoes should be saving up enough to level and then carrying them without dying back to the dream so you can level up.

Early game put all your points into HP and Stamina for survival. All of them. Don't even worry about Strength or Skill until halfway through the game. Weapons in Bloodborne don't even have scaling until you've upgraded them to like +6 anyways.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The thing dragging down Heroes of the Storm is the lack of items, or at the very least making mobs worth something. There's very little incentive to "last-hit" any lane mobs because there's no money involved and you get XP anyways. The only reason to do so is for the rare talent that you may or may not choose anyways.

Pretty sure that's a deliberate design decision to make the game more approachable for non MOBA fans, its something that gets talked about a lot in MOBA game design. Last-hitting is tough for newbies but removing it completely kinda waters down the game, I agree.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Not leveling up is why you're dying so easy. You need to level up whenever you can, your main focus for blood echoes should be saving up enough to level and then carrying them without dying back to the dream so you can level up.

Yeah I had 6000 at one point before rats killed me. How do I level up? I assumed that abandoned doll would do it for me, but I just get flavour text when I interact with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I had 6000 at one point before rats killed me. How do I level up? I assumed that abandoned doll would do it for me, but I just get flavour text when I interact with it.

You are correct, the abandoned doll lets you level up. You have to do a thing first though. You need to die to a boss Surprised you haven't done that yet though.

Haven't found Cleric Beast yet? If you had she should still talk to you even if you have no insight. Maybe you had zero blood echoes at the time? She should still talk to you though.

Oh maybe you have to talk to her once while you have an insight before she will talk to you when you have zero? If so you screwed up haha, but no biggie you'll get another soon. Although then again how would you even lose your insight that early in the game...