Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just stop scrolling when I hit a tweet I've already read. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TraderStav posted:

I don't follow a ton of people, but enough that I want to hide those that are viewed. Does Fenix use the tweetmarker? I'm not familiar with that.

It does if you turn on the option. Then whenever it opens it goes direct to where you last read. Doesn't seem to work for the widget though

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TraderStav posted:

I don't follow a ton of people, but enough that I want to hide those that are viewed. Does Fenix use the tweetmarker? I'm not familiar with that.

To be clear, Tweetmarker is really only useful if you want to sync your reading position with other twitter clients (desktop, iPad etc.). Not sure if it helps you find your place after closing the app or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

wooger posted:

To be clear, Tweetmarker is really only useful if you want to sync your reading position with other twitter clients (desktop, iPad etc.). Not sure if it helps you find your place after closing the app or something.

I'm not sure if it's Fenix, or Tweetmarker, but the app will open to the last read tweet every time, and show a box with the number of new tweets at the top. Tapping it will take you to the most recent tweet, and count everything before it as read the next time you open the app.

You never need to worry about where you left off.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I'm not sure if it's Fenix, or Tweetmarker, but the app will open to the last read tweet every time, and show a box with the number of new tweets at the top. Tapping it will take you to the most recent tweet, and count everything before it as read the next time you open the app.

You never need to worry about where you left off.

Fenix does this.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What's a good music app that plays Flac files?

Alternately: how can I get vlc to ignore a specific file or folder?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dik-dik posted:

What's a good music app that plays Flac files?

Alternately: how can I get vlc to ignore a specific file or folder?

You can play your lossless j-pop and anime music with Poweramp.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is there some cheaper/free version of Subsonic these days? I have a grandfathered account so I'm good, but I don't know what to recommend to others when it comes up.

I use it to stream my home library to my phone or wherever else. It will automatically transcode FLAC or high bitrate MP3s if necessary.

I use it particularly when I'm unexpectedly asked to DJ parties, and the playlist + other features just work so much better than say Rdio or Spotify for that use. I like having it show me a random selection of my albums, then I queue up tracks from them that I feel would be appropriate for the particular event.

I first found it when steaming music started getting to be a thing, and I thought it was ridiculous that services (here in Canada at least) would charge an additional fee if the music was being played on a "mobile device" as opposed to a general purpose computer.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What are the go to twitter apps these days? I'm seeing Fenix being mentioned on this page, are there any other good ones?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

wooger posted:

I have seen a client years ago that colours unread tweets, but I don't recall what.

Plume and Twidere both do this, but Plume is a bit more wonky. edit: WOOPS. They don't color unread tweets that I know of, they just allow assigning a custom color to each twitter account you follow so you can sort of categorize everything - red for news, green for comedy, blue for celebrities, etc.

Demon_Corsair posted:

What are the go to twitter apps these days? I'm seeing Fenix being mentioned on this page, are there any other good ones?

I've been using Twidere for a week or two and it's been mostly nice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Big Fenix fan over here.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there room in the thread title to give twitter recommendations? That seems to be coming up frequently lately.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Demon_Corsair posted:

Just get Fenix, easily the best.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fenix is probably your best bet. I'm always going to say the official app is good also but I get it's not for everyone.

There's also Talon but that Talon Pull thing is super killer on battery in Lollipop. Falcon Pro just got streaming in their app but you have to pay I think something like $5 to add a Twitter account.

Plume hasn't been great since Ubermedia bought them out. Tweetings is a good one, has push notifications but you have to buy the app. Robird is some Russian Twitter app that has push notifications also I think.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Whats a good app for hiding pictures and apps?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Whats a good app for hiding pictures and apps?

Hide It Pro is great for pictures and video, I don't know if it hides apps. It disguises itself as a (functioning) audio manager in your app drawer.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone used Perfectly Clear for their camera app? Just wondering if it's better than Google Camera or Cyanogen Camera.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Related: is there a camera app that won't make my photos look like poo poo on my Moto X 2014? They're fine in full sunlight and grainy as hell everywhere else.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Uthor posted:

Related: is there a camera app that won't make my photos look like poo poo on my Moto X 2014? They're fine in full sunlight and grainy as hell everywhere else.

Have you tried Camera Zoom FX? I've always found it to be pretty good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really haven't tried anything other than the Moto and Google cameras.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to launch anything besides the Moto camera with the twist action, so that's what I use for quick shots.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Has PocketCasts been acting like garbage for anyone else lately? When listening to My Brother, My Brother, and Me it frequently stops playing and deletes the file, in the middle of the episode. Sometimes it will start playing the next episode but usually not. It's been bad since the previous month or so, but this most recent update has made this start happening multiple times per podcast episode, it's really annoying. I'm probably going to jump ship to BeyondPod.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
No issues here.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ArgaWarga posted:

Has PocketCasts been acting like garbage for anyone else lately? When listening to My Brother, My Brother, and Me it frequently stops playing and deletes the file, in the middle of the episode. Sometimes it will start playing the next episode but usually not. It's been bad since the previous month or so, but this most recent update has made this start happening multiple times per podcast episode, it's really annoying. I'm probably going to jump ship to BeyondPod.
It will do this to me but only if I start downloading and listening to a podcast on wifi and then leave wifi before it finishes downloading.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

ArgaWarga posted:

One of the recent updates was supposed to fix this...it has for me so far.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ArgaWarga posted:

Just the opposite for me. I was thinking just last night how well it's been working lately.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ArgaWarga posted:

Zero issues, been using it a lot as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
PocketCasts has been doing this great thing where it doesn't stop playing when I either turn off my car or unplug headphones. I've submitted a couple support tickets and nothing. I think this has been for like 4 months now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

PocketCasts has been doing this great thing where it doesn't stop playing when I either turn off my car or unplug headphones. I've submitted a couple support tickets and nothing. I think this has been for like 4 months now.

I can assure you it works for me as yanking out the headphone cable is my preferred method of pausing media.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I can assure you it works for me as yanking out the headphone cable is my preferred method of pausing media.

Well, that's great. I've been using the free version of BeyondPod now since I can't get any response from PocketCasts, which is confounding since they used to be good about responding.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

hooah posted:

Well, that's great. I've been using the free version of BeyondPod now since I can't get any response from PocketCasts, which is confounding since they used to be good about responding.
It could be a hardware issue. Have you tested with any other media app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, BeyondPod works fine, and this has persisted in a switch from a Nexus 4 to a 2014 Moto X.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

eSporks posted:

It could be a hardware issue. Have you tested with any other media app?

It could be my aux cable in my car, but I think I've had it happen with headphones too. I recently dropped my Nexus 6 (:argh: ) and I've been back on my old Moto X 2013, but the problem has happened on both phones, unless I'm misremembering.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
It used to happen to my 2013 Moto X when it disconnected from my trucks Bluetooth. It would play for a second or two from the phone before pausing itself. It never continued to play beyond that second or two, though.

It doesn't happen with pocket casts on my iPhone 6 now. But different OS so that doesn't mean much.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I spent some of my hard-earned Google Rewards money and picked up Tasker, mostly because Llama doesn't have an option to turn on Samsung power save mode when I'm sleeping which I've found uses about 1% of my battery over seven hours. Besides that switch I also have it launching Amazon Music when I connect my bluetooth headset. Are there any Goon repositories of scripts around or other handy things people are using it for, I went through the ones on tasker.wikidot but didn't see anything overly useful or that I can't do in Llama.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

ArgaWarga posted:

It does this for me when I try playing/pausing through my bluetooth hands-free kit, I had to switch to always hitting play/pause on my phone which is kinda annoying.

This is the specific device I have: http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438423961&sr=8-2

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Klowns posted:

I spent some of my hard-earned Google Rewards money and picked up Tasker, mostly because Llama doesn't have an option to turn on Samsung power save mode when I'm sleeping which I've found uses about 1% of my battery over seven hours. Besides that switch I also have it launching Amazon Music when I connect my bluetooth headset. Are there any Goon repositories of scripts around or other handy things people are using it for, I went through the ones on tasker.wikidot but didn't see anything overly useful or that I can't do in Llama.

There's a Tasker thread...

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

That seems like a good place to start, thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fun fact for SwiftKey users: if you're entering an email address field (as in the @ key automatically shows up), you can long press on the @ key to get some of the common email domains. This could be old news to most, but I found it by mistake and am kinda excited to know it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

XIII posted:

Fun fact for SwiftKey users: if you're entering an email address field (as in the @ key automatically shows up), you can long press on the @ key to get some of the common email domains. This could be old news to most, but I found it by mistake and am kinda excited to know it.

New to me and I've been using SwiftKey for a couple of years, at least. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Uthor posted:

Snap Camera is vastly underrated and has a great little powerful interface

• Locked thread