Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Rocksicles posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said he was speaking Swedish and she was speaking Danish.

Which is weird, but probably well within their collective weirdness.

This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Danish is goddamn impossible to distinguish, and I'm from Sweden. It took me ages to realize she was from Denmark and not just an American actress reading Swedish lines and trying to sound native.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Just a note on the Swedish and Danish - it sounds very natural. Actually more natural than most of the show's dialogue. Most US shows I've seen with Scandinavian actors speaking their native tongues have stilted/weird speech. They either have some Scandinavian input on this part of the script or they let the actors wing it a bit.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
As a Swede, I feel dumb for not realizing that she was speaking Danish (I also thought it was an American with a really strange accent). I could understand it just fine though.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Heliophage posted:

Elliot's rattling radiator etc.

Wasn't that just a trigger for his idea on how to destroy the tapes in steel mountain?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
My Swedish friend thought the Danish was some kind of bizarre made up language that she was mangling.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Your friend was half right :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
What if Elliott is Tyler Durden?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Buffis posted:

As a Swede, I feel dumb for not realizing that she was speaking Danish (I also thought it was an American with a really strange accent). I could understand it just fine though.

The only way a Swede can listen to Danish is via Bewilderment, to paraphrase a great author.

To me it always sounded like really happy people who for some reason also have a terrible molar problem or some sort of mouth infection.

If she was speaking Norweigan I could at least sort of follow along.

Still, an interesting couple. No idea where they're going with it.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I'm a Swede working with support sometimes from Denmark. When I see that they are calling from Denmark I just wanna hide cause I don't understand that language.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angela's dad is the best character in the show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a super dark ending.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
oh my god, what an episode.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Kreygasm

I wish they didn't feel the need to show the obvious but still, Eliot is 100% fsociety now

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
FUCKKKKK what a brutal ending

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This was a fantastic episode. Man, I was on the edge of my seat at the end.

Also, major kudos on keeping the tech stuff pretty believable. I work in the criminal justice tech world, so this was a lot of fun for me.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Ehud posted:

This was a fantastic episode. Man, I was on the edge of my seat at the end.

Also, major kudos on keeping the tech stuff pretty believable. I work in the criminal justice tech world, so this was a lot of fun for me.

Definitely, a lot of stuff is congruent with the real life workings of corporate security, the only jarring thing is how inept everyone else but Eliot at Allsafe is at their sole job, but I'm sure you can write that off as the subconscious superiority that Eliot feels as the Doogie Howser of network security.

Should have listened to Tyler Durden you idiot

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 30, 2015

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
:staredog: well, that was quite an episode. It was telegraphed immediately that Shayla was so very, very dead but the final scene makes it a gut punch between the acting and music. The episode itself worked so well that when Mr. Robot showed up, it didn't matter at that time whether he was real or not. Also lol Tyrell being called out as a giant sperglord, I just didn't expect it to be the guy that was set up to be a buffoon. Also please let that be the end of Vera because the sheer insanity of that character deserves to be capped off by that True Detective Season 1 vintage monologue.

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 30, 2015

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Enthralling as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I wanted to brush Vera's teeth so bad.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
That episode was great. This show is great. This is finally starting to scratch that Breaking Bad itch in a good way... I can't believe no one seems to be watching this. This is the best show on TV right now by a large margin.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Also please let that be the end of Vera because the sheer insanity of that character deserves to be capped off by that True Detective Season 1 vintage monologue.

No way Elliot doesn't hunt Vera down at some point. My guess is either Elliot makes sure someone kills him or Mr. Robot does the deed himself.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

insider posted:

That episode was great. This show is great. This is finally starting to scratch that Breaking Bad itch in a good way... I can't believe no one seems to be watching this. This is the best show on TV right now by a large margin.

I think it's cuz it's on the USA Network. I mean, I can still hardly believe the network of wrestling and dozens of cookie-cutter fluff dramedies have this show that's so very awesome with so much style and depth, and I've been tuning in every week.

Anyway, I didn't see that death coming at all, I was even doubting they'd go through with it at the end, but, drat, did they make it impactful, especially in this day and age where character deaths on dramas are much more commonplace.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

A kick in the balls, but also, really, really smart storytelling. Shayla's character was starting to get a bit trite - the hooker with the heart of gold - so it's good they ended it now. They also followed through on a sort of promise to the viewer, that the "Mr Robot" character is the more perceptive part of Elliot shining through.

Just as Angela's character starts to get a bit more interesting.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I'm more surprised Microsoft chose to advertise on this show.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Fuuuuuuuck that ending.

I mean, a part of me figured they'd go there, but man was it well shot and acted.

Now just thinking about that opening scene in the diner... :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

qbert posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that ending.

I mean, a part of me figured they'd go there, but man was it well shot and acted.

Now just thinking about that opening scene in the diner... :(

"I was thinking about when we first met..."

I'm gonna miss Shayla. :(

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
See Blue mountain State movie for more of Frankee Shaw, slutty lesbian cheerleader with a drinking problems FTW.

But that episode was immense, Vera is always a loose unit. He's a legit good character. I love all the tech poo poo, it just draws you in.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 30, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rocksicles posted:

I love all the tech poo poo, it just draws you in.

The hacking in this show genuinely impresses me. Not that it's all necessarily accurate, but rather it's more accurate than any other depiction of hacking I've ever seen in fiction film or tv.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

ashpanash posted:

Shayla's character was starting to get a bit trite - the hooker with the heart of gold - so it's good they ended it now.

Shayla was Elliot's drug dealer.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qbert posted:

The hacking in this show genuinely impresses me. Not that it's all necessarily accurate, but rather it's more accurate than any other depiction of hacking I've ever seen in fiction film or tv.
I can see why it's not real. I mean come on. But gently caress it seems like they are doing it properly. They'd have to have some :spergin: sitting there writing all that code who obviously has some clue.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rocksicles posted:

They'd have to have some :spergin: sitting there writing all that code who obviously has some clue.

There's an interview with the show's tech adviser here:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-usa-hacking-unusually-accurate.html

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

qbert posted:

Pretty much all the physical hacks are directly copied from the methods homeland security (or the NSA, can't remember) successfully used to hack into several government agencies a couple of years ago in a test. Dropping off USB sticks in the parking lot like in this episode for example was used successfully, the CD in the first episode was another one. The employees are always the biggest hassle to plan around when constructing a security plan because you can never trust that they'll actually follow protocol if left to their own volition.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Ok I'm invested now.

Who was it who was saying that they got rid of the drug dealer too early, that it would have been better to keep him around?

Don't make me search back through a dozen pages to quote you.

I don't care about taking down E corp or Fsociety or Skater Durden anymore , before this show ends, Eric better put that oval office in the ground. :black101:

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Rougey posted:

Ok I'm invested now.

Who was it who was saying that they got rid of the drug dealer too early, that it would have been better to keep him around?

Don't make me search back through a dozen pages to quote you.

I don't care about taking down E corp or Fsociety or Skater Durden anymore , before this show ends, Eric better put that oval office in the ground. :black101:

Who's Eric?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought the death was telegraphed just a tiny bit too much (Angela's "Hey tell Shayla I said hi" was the "Ok yeah she's 100% dead" moment for me) but I agree with everyone else that it was shot and acted so well that it didn't matter at all. Just a really great episode all around with some fantastic tension slowly building up the entire time until that last scene. Really looking forward to seeing how this ends up affecting Elliot. Dude's not going to handle it well at all :ohdear:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Eliot.

No poo poo, I actually typed Elrich but at least fixed that :downs:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rougey posted:

Eliot.

No poo poo, I actually typed Elrich but at least fixed that :downs:

Now I want this to be the twist. :swoon:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Trabant posted:

No way Elliot doesn't hunt Vera down at some point. My guess is either Elliot makes sure someone kills him or Mr. Robot does the deed himself.

Vera is definitely a marked man -- I'm just hoping the character doesn't get overused as a boogeyman. The character is just so insane they miracle their way to being functional. He's kind of like Elliot, but with an aversion to toothpaste rather than physical contact.

Xoidanor posted:

Now I want this to be the twist. :swoon:

Nip Alert will be used to deliver a backdoor to Knowles' phone???

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 30, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The universe told him to avoid dental hygirne, bruh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

insider posted:

This is the best show on TV right now by a large margin.

This right here. There hasn't been a single episode thus far that I thought was 'meh'. They have all been fantastic, even with people tearing into the dream sequence.

• Locked thread