Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sad King Billy posted:

One thing about Genesis that wasn't mentioned in the review, I think Robert Holmes did a lot of rewrites and fleshing out of the story, that tale is as much his as Terry Nations.

That's a rumour based on it being better than his last two efforts, I've never seen any evidence of it other than people just stating it as fact

CobiWann posted:

Parody is fine, but not if it becomes a bit mean spirited, which is why The One Doctor is an audio classic

Or it would be if it was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Genesis is so genuinely amazing at what it does, portraying the last days of a long, dirty war of attrition, where the sides are both one step from fighting with sharp sticks. It's a remarkably bleak and brutal look at the horrors of war, and by making both sides ostensibly human (-looking, anyway) it brings home the effects of war and fascism in an uncomfortably bright light, and for children no less. Compound this with the then-contemporary reality that nuclear war might break out at any time, makes this all the more terrifying.

Genesis feels like a different take on war than the "flash bang, then the Aftermath" of The Daleks. The Vietnam War had been in quagmire for ages by this point (Part 6 of Genesis aired just two weeks before the Fall of Saigon) and it was obvious that, while the possibility of high-tech war between superpowers hung over everyone, drawn-out brutal conflicts on the ground were still very much a reality even for first world nations. The destructive health effects of chemicals like Agent Orange were already being seen, and environmental awareness was high enough that people were aware they would be long-lasting. In Genesis, remember, they say the mutations are caused by the "chemical weapons used early in the war", rather than fallout radiation as in The Daleks.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's a rumour based on it being better than his last two efforts, I've never seen any evidence of it other than people just stating it as fact

That, and his extreme rewrites of other serials, most famously Pyramids of Mars and The Brain of Morbius.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Or it would be if it was funny

Going by Terry's track record, it is very plausible.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Philip Hinchcliffe, in Robert Holmes' biography posted:

...the scripts [Terry Nation] gave us were very good first-draft scripts, with good action sequences, and stuff like that in them. But there were also a number of sillinesses in Terry’s scripts, which had to be taken out. And sometimes the dialogue left a bit to be desired ... I think Bob would have tried to make changes that would reflect the character of the new Doctor. I think Bob rewrote some of the key speeches for the Doctor, and spruced up a few of the other bits of dialogue. So there was a bit of traditional script editing that went on with those scripts ... it wasn’t a set of scripts that had to be majorly rewritten or overhauled. They just had to be tweaked a bit, improved.

That's probably as close as we'll come to knowing the exact extent of who did what on the Genesis scripts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Less known is that Robert Holmes was so nervous about writing his first Doctor Who story that Terry Nation decided to mentor him by replacing the script,"The Monster that Terrifies Children" with a ripping little tale of his own called The Space Pirates.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah... Season Nine spoiler: Its a shame Moffat is revisiting the events of that episode and changing them as the big plot hook for this season.
It's stuff like this makes me canonically consider the new show fan fiction. Nerds just can't leave well enough alone. And I know canon doesn't matter, I get that, especially with this show. But at the same time every time the paisley chump showrunner has gone back to the well it has not only resulted in a bad episode, but cheapens the serials it's supposedly paying homage to. This is just my opinion, if you like him rubbing his sticky fingers all over stories written by authors far more talented than he, then good for you. When I watch Doctor Who the only thing that matters is what the authors writing the stories at the time believed to be canon. Troughton did not leave Gallifrey to hide the hand of Omega, he ran away because he was bored and had a whole universe to explore. Genesis of The Daleks will always happen the way it did.

Of course Eccelston is canon because he's wonderful.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Troughton did not leave Gallifrey to hide the hand of Omega, he ran away because he was bored and had a whole universe to explore. Genesis of The Daleks will always happen the way it did.

Now I'm not going to say that canon isn't what you make it, but you take Hartnell out of the picture and we's gonna have words. :toughguy:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

It's stuff like this makes me canonically consider the new show fan fiction. Nerds just can't leave well enough alone. And I know canon doesn't matter, I get that, especially with this show. But at the same time every time the paisley chump showrunner has gone back to the well it has not only resulted in a bad episode, but cheapens the serials it's supposedly paying homage to. This is just my opinion, if you like him rubbing his sticky fingers all over stories written by authors far more talented than he, then good for you. When I watch Doctor Who the only thing that matters is what the authors writing the stories at the time believed to be canon. Troughton did not leave Gallifrey to hide the hand of Omega, he ran away because he was bored and had a whole universe to explore. Genesis of The Daleks will always happen the way it did.

Of course Eccelston is canon because he's wonderful.

It's a rumour, Moffat is a huge canon nerd and the thought of retconning a classic series episode out of existence would probably make him vomit. For all his time travel bullshit the closest he's ever come to saying "something you saw on the show has been changed and now never happened" was saving Gallifrey instead of burning it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

After The War posted:

Now I'm not going to say that canon isn't what you make it, but you take Hartnell out of the picture and we's gonna have words. :toughguy:
No sir, of all my versions of Who canon the most pristine one is Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee. I've got one that includes every episode and audio drama, which I call the "gently caress it nothing matters" 'verse. In it several versions of the Doctor narrowly avoid meeting each other in Pompeii and on the Titanic, and Napoleon is a very busy man.

2house2fly posted:

It's a rumour, Moffat is a huge canon nerd and the thought of retconning a classic series episode out of existence would probably make him vomit. For all his time travel bullshit the closest he's ever come to saying "something you saw on the show has been changed and now never happened" was saving Gallifrey instead of burning it.
It's more what he adds that bothers me. So far he's (through the episodes that he's written) taken responsibility for Hartnell picking that TARDIS, gave the young Doctor a formative experience about non-violence and helping people, and had Clara and The Great Intelligence temporally arm wrestle each other off screen in every classic episode. I forgave the 13 doctors appearing to seal Gallifrey away in the 50th special because it was fan service, but it also made no sense at all. Not even Doctor Who sense.

Again, this is just a tv show and if you enjoy Moffats metaplot retrojections then more power to you.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

No sir, of all my versions of Who canon the most pristine one is Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee. I've got one that includes every episode and audio drama, which I call the "gently caress it nothing matters" 'verse. In it several versions of the Doctor narrowly avoid meeting each other in Pompeii and on the Titanic, and Napoleon is a very busy man.

It's more what he adds that bothers me. So far he's (through the episodes that he's written) taken responsibility for Hartnell picking that TARDIS, gave the young Doctor a formative experience about non-violence and helping people, and had Clara and The Great Intelligence temporally arm wrestle each other off screen in every classic episode. I forgave the 13 doctors appearing to seal Gallifrey away in the 50th special because it was fan service, but it also made no sense at all. Not even Doctor Who sense.

Again, this is just a tv show and if you enjoy Moffats metaplot retrojections then more power to you.

Nonsense, the melding of their timelines would obviously affect their memories, so the Doctor can't recall what his future self did. Like how Tennant met the Fifth Doctor

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can we not discuss possible spoiler stuff in the main thread please?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Can we not discuss possible spoiler stuff in the main thread please?

drat it, I was just going to talk about the surprise villains in Terror of the Zygons...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

taken responsibility for Hartnell picking that TARDIS

As you note yourself later in your post, the only reason he's choosing the wrong TARDIS is because The Great Intelligence somehow misdirected him away from the one he originally chose in the uninvaded timeline. All Clara does is nudge him back the way he originally went and set things back on track the way they always happened, she doesn't make the decision for him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

As you note yourself later in your post, the only reason he's choosing the wrong TARDIS is because The Great Intelligence somehow misdirected him away from the one he originally chose in the uninvaded timeline. All Clara does is nudge him back the way he originally went and set things back on track the way they always happened, she doesn't make the decision for him.

I don't think this is true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think this is true.

The Great Intelligence jumps into the scar left behind by the Doctor's final death for the express purpose of going back through all his lives and ruining everything he did at every point in his life (backwards) for the pure satisfaction of ruining the Doctor's lives in the same way the Doctor has foiled every effort of the Great Intelligence to take on true physical form and gain power. Clara then jumps in to go back through and undo all the damage the GI has done, and we see exactly the same scenes where the GI was present, only now the GI is gone (having burned out and died in the process, something it knew would happen but thought was a price worth paying) and explicitly replaced by Clara, who ensures things go the way they were meant to go.

While we never see the GI ensuring the Doctor gets into the wrong TARDIS, everything suggests that Clara is going through undoing his damage. It would make no sense at all if the story of,"Clara goes into the Doctor's personal timeline and fixes the damage done by the Great Intelligence" also included a random scene of,"Also the Doctor always would have taken the wrong TARDIS, but Clara was the one who made him take the right one all along."

Now there are certainly problems with Name being pretty muddied and easy to interpret in a number of different ways, not helped by the limitations of insertions into old low-quality video stock of the classic series, but I don't at all buy into the idea that Moffat was trying to say that Clara was the one responsible for the Doctor picking that TARDIS. He picked that TARDIS, the GI went back and affected something subtly enough so that the Doctor chose another, then Clara overwrote that by setting things back the way they were originally.

She's not the instigator of the event/reason behind the choice, she's the one who cleaned up the mess some rear end in a top hat made, so things were back the way they were supposed to be.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Basically Name Of The Doctor has a villain who wants to retcon a bunch of previous episodes so they never happened.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Nonsense, the melding of their timelines would obviously affect their memories, so the Doctor can't recall what his future self did. Like how Tennant met the Fifth Doctor
I don't know exactly what you're referring to in my post, was it the 13 Doctors using the painting device to seal Gallifrey away? My problems with that was not due to the other 9 not remembering it, they are
1. All the Docs appearing in the center of an event which before this episode was LOCKED OFF forever and ever. Now people can just waltz in and out.
2. The fact that the device which enabled his plan being discovered in that episode. How could 9-11 be working on the calculations for hundreds of years when the very thing that would allow him to do it was just discovered? Not to mention it seemed like the last thing on his mind would be Gallifrey after the war. Also Hartnell and Troughton were Time Lord super criminals and probably would not want to go back.
3. The "End" of the time war being the Daleks shooting themselves is some Loony Toons crap. This is the Time War, THE Time War, and we're suppose to believe that at that point literally every single Dalek ship was at Gallifrey and every one got destroyed? That the only base of power the Time Lords had was Gallifrey? And even if all that made total sense, my problem with it is really a character one. The Time War was the only thing in the modern series which added to the mystery of the character, the universe and the show. It was suppose to be inconceivable, and now it's a BBC set, one planet and one fleet.

Jerusalem posted:

only now the GI is gone (having burned out and died in the process, something it knew would happen but thought was a price worth paying) and explicitly replaced by Clara, who ensures things go the way they were meant to go.

He picked that TARDIS, the GI went back and affected something subtly enough so that the Doctor chose another, then Clara overwrote that by setting things back the way they were originally.
That certainly is a better way of looking at things. That brings up another point that's always bothered me though, the GI killing himself to spoil his enemy seemed cheap. This dude wants power and life, so he gives both up because he's angry? It just seemed like the episode was ending soon, so Moffat had to kill off the season long threat quickly to tie everything up.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 30, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
And now it's not locked, so they could get there.

's pretty simple.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
We still haven't seen 12 go back to Gallifrey to finish the calculations. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens this season.

We're also confirmed to start seeing a bit more of the start of the Time War with River and the 8th Doctor, so it will be interesting to see how much that crosses over to the main show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know exactly what you're referring to in my post, was it the 13 Doctors using the painting device to seal Gallifrey away? My problems with that was not due to the other 9 not remembering it, they are
1. All the Docs appearing in the center of an event which before this episode was LOCKED OFF

The Moment let them through. Anyway Russell T Davies was the one who said it was locked off, not Sydney Newman or whoever.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Emerson Cod posted:

We still haven't seen 12 go back to Gallifrey to finish the calculations. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens this season.

oh, that's what he was calculating? im dumb

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

And now it's not locked, so they could get there.

's pretty simple.
If some magical space deity appeared to Hartnell and Troughton and said " Hey come back to Gallifrey" I don't know if they would. Troughton was terrified at the idea of even letting the Time Lords know where he was because he knew he would get snatched. I don't think he could have comprehended the situation Gallifrey was in before popping in to help. It was in the episode for the fans.

2house2fly posted:

The Moment let them through.
I'll accept these and they're good points, but the way the Doctors got there is not what really bothers me about it. I want the show to be fresh and new again, but the showrunner is either recycling the ideas that got him the position in the first place or literally revisiting the history of the show with meta plot nonsense.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 30, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Also Hartnell and Troughton were Time Lord super criminals and probably would not want to go back.

He's not a supercriminal, he's just a meddling thief (from the point of view of the Time Lords). He doesn't want his people eliminated.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

The rule of non-interference is one of (if not the) Time Lords most sacred law and The Doctor breaks it all the time. I believe the punishment the Time Lords had in store for Troughton was going to be much more severe if he had not shown them the good he was doing, and then guilt tripped them for sitting in their ivory towers doing nothing while people suffered. In World Game Troughton worried he would be erased from existence, past and present, for his crimes. I believe the Time Lords did consider him a super criminal, but we'll agree to disagree.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I want the show to be fresh and new again, but the showrunner is either recycling the ideas that got him the position in the first place or literally revisiting the history of the show with meta plot nonsense.

You're complaining that the 50th anniversary special was not fresh and new and instead decided to revisit the history of the show?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The reason he actually left Gallifrey was because they'd found out about the time he killed a bully when he was a kid and shifted the blame onto the Master as part of a deal with Death.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wheat Loaf posted:

The reason he actually left Gallifrey was because they'd found out about the time he killed a bully when he was a kid and shifted the blame onto the Master as part of a deal with Death.

Lidster can suck eggs :mad:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

Basically Name Of The Doctor has a villain who wants to retcon a bunch of previous episodes so they never happened.

And his name? Future Showrunner X.

:smug:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

No not really, I expected the thing to be fan service.

I forgave the 13 doctors appearing to seal Gallifrey away in the 50th special because it was fan service
Of all the meddling with classic Who the 50th special is the lowest on my list of things that annoy me. I wrote a bunch of :words: about it because (as I understand it) BottledBodhisvata believed the issue I had with it was their memories of the event not being present beforehand. Also because I'm a big nerd. But we don't have to discuss anything about it any further, I'm not attempting to change anyone's opinion.

I bet the new season will have some good episodes!

edit; Has anyone read players? I don't usually go for written Who but if it's a semi sequel to World Game and written by Terrance Dicks I'm interested.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 30, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m one of the people who didn’t care for Clara going through the Doctor’s timeline to nudge things back into place that the Great Intelligence made wrong.

I’m one of those people who think Kill the Moon is a bad episode where the good points are overshadowed by bad writing and lousy science.

I’m one of those people who think Danny Pink’s best moments were in Last Christmas.

But you know…I’ve come to the point with Doctor Who where it just boils down to one thing. Overall, do I like the Doctor?

Do I like Christopher Eccleston? Yes.

Do I like David Tennant? Yes.

Do I like Matt Smith? Yes.

Do I like Peter Capaldi? Yes.

Do I like Rowan Atkinson? I’ll explain later.

In the end, the show is about the Doctor and his relationship with his companions, and the burden of that relationship is on the Doctor. I loved Smith with Karen and Arthur, but he never clicked with Jenna to me. Doesn’t mean I didn’t like Eleven’s final season, even though there were some bad episodes. I love Capaldi and Jenna’s chemistry and adore seeing them on screen together. Doesn’t mean this season didn’t have a clunker or two.

I can overlook bad episodes, story arcs that don’t quite work, some actors working better together than others…hell, I actually bought a New 52 trade paperback this morning, though I blame insanity brought on by Donald Trump for that...as long as the core of the show, the Doctor, works.

Wonderful chap. All of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If some magical space deity appeared to Hartnell and Troughton and said " Hey come back to Gallifrey" I don't know if they would.

They'd talk to the other Doctors and Troughton would go,"Contact?" to Pertwee, and Pertwee would say,"Contact" back with a nod, and then everybody would be up to speed!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

They'd talk to the other Doctors and Troughton would go,"Contact?" to Pertwee, and Pertwee would say,"Contact" back with a nod, and then everybody would be up to speed!

“Oh, so you’re my replacements. A Bohemian and a cricket player.”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

“Oh, so you’re my replacements. A Bohemian and a cricket player.”

Troughton in 11's TARDIS would be pretty great. "I see you've been tidyi- oh. Goodness."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Do you think I'll need to have listened to a particular set of stories before doom coalition 2 or will it be fairly stand alone? I want to be up to speed but I'm not sure how much bf I can afford.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Little_wh0re posted:

Do you think I'll need to have listened to a particular set of stories before doom coalition 2 or will it be fairly stand alone? I want to be up to speed but I'm not sure how much bf I can afford.

Well, Doom Coalition 1 isn't even out yet, but looking at the descriptions for it, it looks like the first one is a pretty clean break. All I see is that the Doctor's got a companion he met in the last story arc.

I would imagine they're expecting a lot of new listeners for DC2, so I'd expect they make it fairly easy to jump into.

EDIT: Doom Coalition is seriously the dumbest name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Sadly the Alliance to End Doctormania was already taken by the revival.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Sadly the Alliance to End Doctormania was already taken by the revival.

Ten and Donna against the Alliance in a Triple TARDIS of Terror match!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Ten and Donna against the Alliance in a Triple TARDIS of Terror match!

Nicholas Briggs: :frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rochallor posted:

Ruination Cordiale, doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

• Locked thread