Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Kind of sucks waiting on bits for the base. I got a great forest-grass mat in the mail today, plus a bunch of scatter bits to enhance it. Painted up some rocks last night using Woodland Scenics super easy method. Got an Ikea frame frame for the base, plus some gesso'd up floral foam for the terrain. Now I'm just waiting on some trees from a Polish outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Super 3 posted:

Does anyone have a good panel scriber they can recommend? I have one of the pen tpes but I'm looking for something that is going to pull a strip of the material out of the channel I'm trying to gouge. I use the pen to score but i'm not getting the effect I want.

This one does exactly what you want for :10bux:

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Maybe this is common knowledge for tank builders, but I found this 4-part 60 minute series on youtube that I thought was very interesting. There are a lot of tips and techniques I'd never seen (then again, I mostly look at airplane related stuff).

Vallejo Acrylics Techniques (part 1 of 4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bUNxiI6Qxw

It may be kind of ambitions, but these videos are giving me some ideas for what to do with the giant gray AT-AT toy I have in my closet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kind of sucks waiting on bits for the base. I got a great forest-grass mat in the mail today, plus a bunch of scatter bits to enhance it. Painted up some rocks last night using Woodland Scenics super easy method. Got an Ikea frame frame for the base, plus some gesso'd up floral foam for the terrain. Now I'm just waiting on some trees from a Polish outfit.

Have you ever tried super trees? They're cheap and really good. Check out scenic express, they got lots of cool products.
\/ Ah those are big trees!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 30, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baronjutter posted:

Have you ever tried super trees? They're cheap and really good. Check out scenic express, they got lots of cool products.

No, but I'm not sure they'd be in scale for what I need. I'll check them out, but I need something in the the 25-30cm range. Model-Scene in Poland makes really nice stuff for decent prices. Beyond that, Canyon Creek Scenics makes really nice trees as well, but they're a lot pricier.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

For the longest time I wanted to build an AT-AT and motorize it.

E: Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6OQO0SqTc

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

lilljonas posted:

Looking good!

I'm in Hokkaido to visit in-laws, and looking for something to bring home. Right now it's looking like the alternatives are to check the normal malls that have a barebones range of gundams, bic camera which usually has the prior plus a few random kits (tanks and boats, but sometimes an odd maschinen krieger or similar, or really look into a real model shop in Sapporo. Last time I didn't find one, but hunting for a random kit to build sounds fun too.

There is a yodobashi store in sapporo. Outside sapporo station(JR), near the JR tower.

They tend to have everything up on the toy floor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Darth Brooks posted:

For the longest time I wanted to build an AT-AT and motorize it.

E: Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6OQO0SqTc

I love how it moves with stop-motion clunkiness, just like the ones in the film!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Wibbleman posted:

There is a yodobashi store in sapporo. Outside sapporo station(JR), near the JR tower.

They tend to have everything up on the toy floor.

Cool. The last time I was looking I just found the model section at Bic Camera, so it will be fun to check something else. I think I already know the yodobashi building, I'll take some photos tomorrow if I find something cool. I realize that I could just go hunting for deals on amazon.co.jp, but it's just not quite as fun as checking real shops, now is it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So if I were to suggest that we all get the same crappy Airfix 1/76 kit and do a group build sometime over the next month or so, would people be up for that? We'd need to give people time to actually track down the kit that we're going to build etc.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

So if I were to suggest that we all get the same crappy Airfix 1/76 kit and do a group build sometime over the next month or so, would people be up for that? We'd need to give people time to actually track down the kit that we're going to build etc.

Sounds interesting!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I'm totally down for that. Is that where we all buy and build the same kit at the same time and compare progress and ideas?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I'm interested in this too.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm cautiously interested, I'll decide after seeing the model and its fuckup potential :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I vote for a 74-gun ship of the line a la The Locator! :v:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I'd be in, but a month is likely a bit short. These things usually run for 3 months or so.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
What about 1:48 tank model? Tamiya do a nice looking Panther that could be popular.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well the reason I suggested 1:76 Airfix are thus:

1: they're dirt cheap.
2: they're easily available basically everywhere.
3: they're small, so space isn't so much of an issue for people.
4: they can be crappy, so we might have to get inventive.
5: they're easily done to satisfaction within a month.

List of currently available 1:76 military kits is here: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/military-vehicles/1-76-military-vehicles.html
Planes are here: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/aircraft/1-72-scale-military-aircraft.html

This guy gets it. Heck, I'd almost recommend we all get the Vickers Light Mk VI that's on sale an fancy them up for tank-racing rather than seriously build them.
VVVV

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 30, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

big_g posted:

What about 1:48 tank model? Tamiya do a nice looking Panther that could be popular.

The point isn't to have something nice, the point is to start with cheap garbage and sew what happens!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

1: they're dirt cheap.
2: they're easily available basically everywhere.
3: they're small, so space isn't so much of an issue for people.
4: they can be crappy, so we might have to get inventive.
5: they're easily done to satisfaction within a month.

List of currently available 1:76 military kits is here: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/military-vehicles/1-76-military-vehicles.html
Planes are here: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/aircraft/1-72-scale-military-aircraft.html

This guy gets it. Heck, I'd almost recommend we all get the Vickers Light Mk VI that's on sale an fancy them up for tank-racing rather than seriously build them.
VVVV

Fair enough. We are never all going to agree on a kit by consensus though as it'll be like herding cats. I think we need someone to lead on this one.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The point isn't to have something nice, the point is to start with cheap garbage and sew what happens!

Its you! Suggest a kit, I'm up for anything but 1:72 aircraft is fine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm in the snowy wasteland of Canada though, I'd prefer something available at a brick and mortar store so I don't get gouged on shipping for a :10bux: kit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I'm in the snowy wasteland of Canada though, I'd prefer something available at a brick and mortar store so I don't get gouged on shipping for a :10bux: kit.

Can you check the stock of your local stores online or do you have to actually go to one?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

big_g posted:

Can you check the stock of your local stores online or do you have to actually go to one?

hahahahahahahaha

You know the answer to that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Heck, I'd almost recommend we all get the Vickers Light Mk VI that's on sale an fancy them up for tank-racing rather than seriously build them.
That would be awesome.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

hahahahahahahaha

You know the answer to that.

I've got absolutely no bloody idea, but if for some reason shipping in Canada is extortionate I'll just buy it here in the UK and post it to you as long as it's under $60.

I spend a lot of time in this thread and think this is a mint idea so want to see it happen.

It's 19:30 GMT lets try to have a decision by same time tomorrow so everyone can have a say in case they are asleep.

I'm happy with anything. Shall we have EE choose or go with the Vickers Light Mk VI?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd like to build something I haven't built before, but I'm going to leave it up to you guys to make suggestions.

Shipping from Ireland is possibly even cheaper than from the UK so I can sort out Ensign Expendable too if needs be.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I think we should all get this:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/aircraft/1-72-scale-military-aircraft/north-american-p-51d-mustang-1-72.html

And then paint it as if it is from a post apocalyptic previous past where it's part of a band of air pirates or some poo poo so everyone can go mad on loads of different colour schemes and decals ala this:

https://www.pinterest.com/rmathes1/warbirds/

Cheap, fun and colourful? And it doesn't matter if it comes out a bit crap?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
If we're voting, I'd go with tanks over planes. That Vickers looks like a pretty unique little guy, although I wouldn't be against someone wanting a more iconic vehicle.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

If we're voting, I'd go with tanks over planes. That Vickers looks like a pretty unique little guy, although I wouldn't be against someone wanting a more iconic vehicle.

I'd actually prefer something not iconic i.e. not something everyone's assembled.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We could, if we're being insane, do a tank AND a plane, and let people pick which of the two they want to build or do both.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

We could, if we're being insane, do a tank AND a plane, and let people pick which of the two they want to build or do both.

Both, you say...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh man...

We could build AEROGAVINS!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arquinsiel posted:

This might be an interesting side-build project, depending on what all I'd need to acquire to do a plastic model. Might be funny to see how badly I gently caress up plastic.

Someone post a list of things I need to build a plastic model (i.e. what's the best glue etc.). I haven't touched a plastic model in 30 years.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I vote for a 74-gun ship of the line a la The Locator! :v:

This is a brilliant idea! What could possibly go wrong with a multi-year group build of a 4 foot long $1200 model kit? :)

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm still waiting for Model Expo to ship my paints. :colbert:

e: A lot of the 1:76 kits are available on amazon (and amazon.ca) for $10-15 (both USD and CAD). Availability shouldn't be an issue.

vvvv Yeah I ordered the case. Although I'm also worried I never got an email, and can't log into the account I created during the order. Saved the receipt page though; considering calling their support line.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 30, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I'm still waiting for Model Expo to ship my paints. :colbert:

I got the majority of mine already, I think they back ordered about 7 colors. Did you order one of the sets that they were out of stock on?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you've got your paints, then what you need in addition to ship tools is some form of polystyrene cement or go lazy like me and use superglue. Other than that you should be overstocked on what you need, unless you want to get super fancy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you ordered the actual "case" of paints, those weren't even available yet when they listed all their available Vallejo stuff. There was still a 5 to 6 week waiting period before they even received their first batch of paint sets.

For the model competition, you could go full on Kustom Kar/Weird-O's and create weird mechanized abominations. Goofy planes with chrome exhausts and a giant 8-ball stick shift, and a big-head freak piloting the thing.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 30, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

This is a brilliant idea! What could possibly go wrong with a multi-year group build of a 4 foot long $1200 model kit? :)

Well there's always this.

Affordable, available, and most importantly likely entirely possible.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

big_g posted:

part of a band of air pirates or some poo poo so everyone can go mad on loads of different colour schemes and decals ala this:

https://www.pinterest.com/rmathes1/warbirds/

Cheap, fun and colourful? And it doesn't matter if it comes out a bit crap?

I already did!

(It's a tad old + battered though. I kind of want to do a 1/48th version.)

And yeah, I'd be up for some of that. I've been following the instructions a lot recently, it'll be good to break out of that a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Well there's always this.

Affordable, available, and most importantly likely entirely possible.

Except that most people probably don't have the small'ish wood working tools and glues, whereas for plastic, I'm the only one that will need to go shopping.

I'm not opposed to this mind you, but I don't think it would have near the participation as a cheap plastic kit. And 'affordable' depends on who you are asking, that Viking is a $70 kit. While that's reasonably cheap for a wooden boat kit, it's pretty expensive compared to 'cheap' plastic kits. If there were enough people interested in doing the cheap wooden boat thing, I think one of the midwest kits for $20~$30 would be a better route.