Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

What have I done...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

DraconicBlade posted:

If you want your poo poo back just make a thread in gbs asking for your refund.

I thought it was FYAD

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Inside 4-high stone building with a ceiling, passive Argent still goes missing. Do you get a death message if it dies while you are offline (when you login again) or should I search the area?

edit: Well I never found the bird, but I went up to see a guy making his house on the cliff above mine. He is naked, and the front wall of his house is entirely made out of dinosaur gates. There was a dead triceratops and carno in front of his house. When I got close he said something like "help me! help me recover my bods" (his mic was breaking up and he had an accent). He kept running between the corpses and his house so I assumed he needed help carrying meat. I had my rex eat the corpses, grabbed the meat/hides/keratin from him, then ran up to the open gate. "Here's your stuff" I began to say, only to just then see a trike set to aggressive running at me from inside the house. The trike's hit was nothing HP-wise, a flea bite. The knockback however sent me sailing 100ft horizontally off the edge of the cliff, then down another 400ft or so to my death in the riverbed below.

I respawned at my house and by the time I got back my rex had killed 3 of his dinosaurs. :shepface:

So that's my first dino pvp story, I guess.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 30, 2015

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Inside 4-high stone building with a ceiling, passive Argent still goes missing. Do you get a death message if it dies while you are offline (when you login again) or should I search the area?

edit: Well I never found the bird, but I went up to see a guy making his house on the cliff above mine. He is naked, and the front wall of his house is entirely made out of dinosaur gates. There was a dead triceratops and carno in front of his house. When I got close he said something like "help me! help me recover my bods" (his mic was breaking up and he had an accent). He kept running between the corpses and his house so I assumed he needed help carrying meat. I had my rex eat the corpses, grabbed the meat/hides/keratin from him, then ran up to the open gate. "Here's your stuff" I began to say, only to just then see a trike set to aggressive running at me from inside the house. The trike's hit was nothing HP-wise, a flea bite. The knockback however sent me sailing 100ft horizontally off the edge of the cliff, then down another 400ft or so to my death in the riverbed below.

I respawned at my house and by the time I got back my rex had killed 3 of his dinosaurs. :shepface:

So that's my first dino pvp story, I guess.

death message only on death for pets, only if people kill you do you get the message. This is why you force feed them meat or drag wild dinos to finish the job.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Saw this interesting tip I had no clue about:

If you hit E facing the right door (facing the gate) it opens outward. The left door opens it inward.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Yo ceebee mind updating gearbox when you get time.

Also what would taking over the server entail?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Giant Sloth announced. :3:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MacheteZombie posted:

Giant Sloth announced. :3:

New travel mount!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Patch 191 announced. Not even an eta listed yet.

Patch 191 Notes posted:

- New Creature: Trilobite, an excellent renewable source of Chitin and Silica
- New Scythe weapon for harvesting Fiber from seed-plants
- New Modern Polymer Canteen Item stores up to 300 water and uses 100 per sip. (and is lighter than jars)
- Improved loading speed, RAM usage, and streaming performance
- Redone painting UI to allow switching colors and re-dying brushes from directly within the painting UI
- Admin Spectator camera & spectator-controls UI
- Water Jars can now be used twice, with 100 water restored per sip
- Fixed capbility to push characters through walls in edge case

Silica eh. I wonder what uses this resource. Or what is being altered for it.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

JuffoWup posted:

Patch 191 announced. Not even an eta listed yet.

Silica eh. I wonder what uses this resource. Or what is being altered for it.

I would assume silica would be a natural-occuring paste substitute.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Silica are the pearls used for electronics. I think their full name is silica pearls.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Want to give this game another shot. I had fun with it before. The biggest problem (aside from optimizations) was respawning or logging in in the middle of the night. There just is no way to get a torch together without guessing where materials are.
God forbid a carnivore is in your vicinity. There is no way to defend when you have no tools and you're effectively blind.
BEING A HUMAN IS HARD.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
That's why you build yourself a house and keep some torches in a box there, or just do what I do and afk whenever night rolls around. :v:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

That's why you build yourself a house and keep some torches in a box there

This. Also I never log without torch repair materials on me and there are enough standing torches, fires and other light sources in my house that I can bumble around and eventually find something I can hit E on to provide light.

turtlecrunch posted:

or just do what I do and afk whenever night rolls around. :v:

Night is for beacon hunting, yo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

turtlecrunch posted:

That's why you build yourself a house and keep some torches in a box there, or just do what I do and afk whenever night rolls around. :v:

I guess I'm dumb and keep forgetting that sleeping bags act as respawn points, right?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Sleeping bags are only one-time-use, so put them down when you're taming some animal in the wild or something. Learn the simple bed engram, it is reusable.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kedo posted:

This. Also I never log without torch repair materials on me and there are enough standing torches, fires and other light sources in my house that I can bumble around and eventually find something I can hit E on to provide light.

Night is for beacon hunting, yo.

I do find that night improves both the odds of finding beacons and finding ants on said beacons

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Do wild animals just go after anything with an inventory? They seem keen on destroying all my chests.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Or do what everyone else does and turn gamma to 1.5 and you can see fine at night provided you aren't balls deep in some trees.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3f6y2l/there_seems_to_be_fertility_soil_i_went_from_0/

It looks like the area your tamed dinos live in also factors in on laying eggs. Dinos that didn't lay eggs before now do after being moved to a different location, nothing to do with the distance or "unstatis".

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
If a couple of you guys wanna mess with some people on a European server pm me. Server 204. I am planning on hunting some Humans and permentally bloodbag/enslave them. This game is so much fun hunting and being hunted.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3fak4m/obelisk_character_data_transmission_remove_it_or/

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Can you transfer items official server to official server? It just doesn't allow character transfers? Can you literally make a hut on a pve server and just transfer your goods from the pve server to your pvp character?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

JuffoWup posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3fak4m/obelisk_character_data_transmission_remove_it_or/

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Can you transfer items official server to official server? It just doesn't allow character transfers? Can you literally make a hut on a pve server and just transfer your goods from the pve server to your pvp character?

Through my experimentation I can transfer anything that does not get damaged ( stuff that had the green bar) but everything else including with timers I could. It doesn't seem perfect cause I lost a couple items during a transfer like it was deleted.

E: also I have seen servers where the obelisk is blocked with metal blocks to prevent item transfers.

darthzeta88 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 31, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

darthzeta88 posted:

Through my experimentation I can transfer anything that does not get damaged ( stuff that had the green bar) but everything else including with timers I could. It doesn't seem perfect cause I lost a couple items during a transfer like it was deleted.

E: also I have seen servers where the obelisk is blocked with metal blocks to prevent item transfers.

I assume this doesn't work for unofficial to official right? Because it would be hilarious if it worked.

Also, new piece added to the 191 patch notes that may be of interest to people:
* Compound Bow has 5x more effective durability

I wonder if that helps offset the cost of the bow now. It is only really good with metal arrows though which are its own problem (though, it seems all the arrows are recoverable other than the killshot unlike stone arrows).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you fire the metal arrows from a crossbow, or are they compound only?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

Can you fire the metal arrows from a crossbow, or are they compound only?

compound only

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JuffoWup posted:

compound only

That's too bad, I have a devil of a time aiming the bow. can't imagine the compound will be much better

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Azhais posted:

That's too bad, I have a devil of a time aiming the bow. can't imagine the compound will be much better

Compound does have a sight to help with aiming. Sadly, it also has a weird full pull issue. Unlike the wooden bow, the compound bow gives your character the shakes when fully pulled.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

JuffoWup posted:

Compound does have a sight to help with aiming. Sadly, it also has a weird full pull issue. Unlike the wooden bow, the compound bow gives your character the shakes when fully pulled.

Which is silly, because a real compound bow won't cause you to shake when it is fully drawn. There are a lot of fixes this bow needs, durability is just a tip of the ARROW HAHahaha

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
Even with the x5 durability ( which was previously the same as the wood bow apparently) and assuming you could hit things as well as a gun, I see no benefit in using that thing over a decent longneck.

I think they either need to make it the highest tier combat weapon by maybe upping the damage and allowing attachments to make it comparable to the guns. The alternative is to just lower the associated costs and make it an upgraded dino hunting weapon for people who like bows.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

ComradeBigT posted:

Even with the x5 durability ( which was previously the same as the wood bow apparently) and assuming you could hit things as well as a gun, I see no benefit in using that thing over a decent longneck.

I think they either need to make it the highest tier combat weapon by maybe upping the damage and allowing attachments to make it comparable to the g uns. The alternative is to just lower the associated costs and make it an upgraded dino hunting weapon for people who like bows.

Traqs and armor piercing makes it really useful. And silent. A laser attachment would be cool though for short range combat.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

darthzeta88 posted:

Traqs and armor piercing makes it really useful. And silent. A laser attachment would be cool though for short range combat.

It isn't really armor piercing though from what I've read. Or at least, it does carry damage to the armor as well.

ComradeBigT posted:

I think they either need to make it the highest tier combat weapon by maybe upping the damage and allowing attachments to make it comparable to the guns. The alternative is to just lower the associated costs and make it an upgraded dino hunting weapon for people who like bows.

I think the holding idea they are using is the arrows themselves. Besides the killshot arrow, all arrows are recoverable. Similar in trait to how a pike has actual durability while the spear randomly broke. Currently, stone arrows are kind of pointless because they have a habit of only have 5 or so on the corpse when you loot them.

The downside to all this though is that even the arrows need a fabricator to make. And that just gets messy. To make best use of your can of gas, you need to have the material for not only the bow, but the 50 arrows you'll want to stockpile as well.

Also, patch notes updated some more with some wording tweaks. The sickle is going to be metal. And the 5x durability compound note has added that the camera shake was reduced when pulling.

Edit: calling all farmers. Looking at wiki and other places, they all seem to suggest max yield on a small, medium, or large plot is 300. If that is the case, what exactly is the bonus of a large plot over a medium? If it is just storage space, the medium appears to have enough space for a day or so worth of ferts already. The only other difference I can tell is the amount of water it holds which is pointless when you have it irrigated anyway.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 31, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There is currently no bonus other than water for large plots

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
As I've noted before, I've been playing on a PvE server. We have a limited ability to screw each other over but it can be done. Yesterday I was taming a bronto right outside my base. I was in an out so I accidentally left the doors open. Neighbors that' I've never seen before (we must have very different time zones) seized the opportunity and ran into empty my refiner, smithy and fabricator (anything not pin locked). I closed my doors and I gave them a really angry stare. They were locked out of all my riches, but then they saw it. The mother of all rewards, my compost bins. They looked inside and stole all the contents but curiously left the bags of fertilizer... They literally just stole all my poo poo.

Am I salty about it? Yes. Did I complain about it in chat and call them greifers? No. I focused on what I could do. I was contemplating what to do for some small revenge, just something to say I won't just sit idly by. So I noticed they were building this giant dino pin. It's hard to decribe the size, but I maybe a football field or two. They spent hours building it and were about 1/4 of the way done. It was kind of impressive looking, if I'm being honest. So I took about 5 minutes, gathered up some materials, and layed thatch floors 50 meters apart all around their base and their new construction project. So they won't be able to build that pin or expand any further. When they lose dinos to the elements repeatedly, they will think about me. So I guess that's something.

They still steal my poop though. :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

This is the best animal in the entire game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

turtlecrunch posted:

This is the best animal in the entire game.

Farm the hell out of them, I can't imagine a possible universe they don't get nerfed. I casually killed 6 of them on my carno and got 96 chitin, 26 oil, and 10 pearls

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice
After the v192 patch i get fatal errors when joining my server now, anyone have experience with fixing this issue?

Edit: Re-validating files fixed it.

Marux fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 1, 2015

Figurant
Mar 16, 2005

The official Survival of the Fittest event stream just started: http://www.twitch.tv/survivetheark

Guessing the game itself won't start for a little bit though, will find out soon.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Figurant posted:

The official Survival of the Fittest event stream just started: http://www.twitch.tv/survivetheark

Guessing the game itself won't start for a little bit though, will find out soon.

This looks pretty good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

This looks pretty good so far.

Are they waiting for the other guys to go offline?