Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
My last job before joining was servicing ATMs for a small town bank. They actually trusted a 17 year old kid to drive around with $30k on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I managed to never work in fast food, thank god. Worked in a movie theater, that was pretty cool most of the time. Worked in an amusement park for a couple of summers...we stole enough poo poo/got enough free games in the arcade/hosed around in the parking lot enough to make it a good time. Loomis was ok, but christ I got fat sitting in that truck eating fast food everyday. Coke bottler was ok...employee rate for a case of 24 12oz bottles of anything they made was $4.50. Got fat there too. Probably the worst job was the one that looked the best on paper: data entry for the USPS at a Remote Encoding Center. The REC is a soul-sucking black hole of retirees and disciplinary paperwork the likes of which none of you have ever experienced. It's what I imagine working at DFAS would be like, except the employees care even less. 3/4 of us were considered "transitional employees" which means no benefits, lower pay, no regular raises, and your time there doesn't count towards your federal service time so no retirement accrual. Also every so often (6 months or a year, cant remember) you had to take a 5 day break because you're transitional. The career employees were ALL already retired and were just killing time until time killed them. There were only a handful of supervisors so no opportunity for advancement, but since your time there didn't count you didn't have any seniority anyway. The job was literally to sit at a computer...and these workstations were like old microfiche computers, with a lovely divider to keep you from seeing your neighbor...and look at a scan of mail that the automated systems couldn't read because of bad handwriting, the ink was too light, it was in the wrong order, the ZIP didn't match the city, etc. If you could read it, you entered in the info according to a code they had. You used a special keyboard where the home row was also numbers, and based on where you were in the process the computer knew if you were typing letters or numbers...this hosed up my typing for like two years after I left that job. Your breaks were like clockwork and if you left early or late you were written up. No talking except in the break room with people older than your grandparents. Don't get on your computer too early or too late, guess why. There were speed and accuracy goals. If you didn't meet them, you were called to the supervisor kiosk-thing in the loving center of the room and received your verbal or written discipline there.

gently caress that place. Oddly enough, that job really helped me get the one I've had for the last couple of years because my current boss worked there too, as a second job around the same time. Then I found out one of my coworkers did, too.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
After high school I delivered pizzas for 2 years, worked in a packaging factory for less than a year, and spent nearly 3 years mopping gas station floors on 3rd shift.

I have zero interesting stories.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I worked at a parks services job the summer I got out of the Army. poo poo like running a weed whacker, throwing mulch on trees, etc. It was pretty unremarkable.

Then I went contracting for three years, that was pretty fun.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I started working when I was 14, pumping gas and sorting bushels of crabs for like $7 an hour
I smelled like the worst whorehouse in the Philippine Islands after each shift
gently caress work

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Parks are pretty rad. I worked at one for a couple years before I enlisted. Boring work, but chill and fairly low-stress most of the time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Before the army I worked at a grocery store, local fast food joint and a gas station. Another dude who worked at the gas station told me that when he would restock the attached gas station cold room, he would put some booze in the trash then come back after close and pull it out of the dumpster. 16 year old me decided to steal some khalua mixed drinks and smirnoff ice. :gay:

Nothing much at the fast food place or gas station, just some dude getting whiny about our no checks policy because "I HAVE THIRTY THOUSAND IN THE BANK", dude thinking he's tricky enough to steal cigarettes right under my nose, and some oval office getting mad because she can't read a menu.

After the army, i had even shittier jobs trying to make ends meet between quarters. No one will hire someone that wants to just work for a couple months(my fault for being honest), so I did temp labor for a bit. Got to bust up a cast iron pipe with a sledge and watch turds roll out of it because retard landlord thought it was uphill from the current tenants and get hit on by 14 year old girls in the suburbs while being an ice cream man making fuckall. Also worked the door at some hipster bar, but the only thing that happened there was some drunk dickhead tried to steal a PBR barstool.

Being poor sucks, glad I'm not one anymore. :coal:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I worked at Busch Gardens in Tampa at the loving Sky Ride gondola thing. Goddamn what a miserable loving job. No one wanted to do it so I'd end up working like 6 days a week for 14 hours a day. Overtime pay was pretty good but catching gondolas full of fat loving tourists and hope they get out in time before you get splattered by the next one was pretty loving awful.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Worked a bunch of jobs. I actually quit my job to enlist before realized that DEP takes months sometimes. I ended up getting a job as a courier at a law firm for five or six months. Once and a while, me and this other guy were charged with serving subpoenas. THAT was interesting.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rough Lobster posted:

Worked a bunch of jobs. I actually quit my job to enlist before realized that DEP takes months sometimes. I ended up getting a job as a courier at a law firm for five or six months. Once and a while, me and this other guy were charged with serving subpoenas. THAT was interesting.

do tell

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
doing tech support for earthlink had a few interesting moments. like when a guy didn't want to tell me his username because it was something like cuteassman or some poo poo.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I worked as a lifeguard through high school and college. It owned, professional butt peeper.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
My last job before the military was at a local BOSCH plant, loading up a tempering oven with spark plug bodies or whatever you call them. 8.75 hours of standing in front of an 7 foot wide conveyor belt while staring into the flames of the burners and never dropping a sweat or taking a piss despite drinking upwards of 2 gallons of fluids/electrolytes during the shift. If you stared into the flames long enough more than halfway through the shift, you'd start tripping balls and seeing poo poo.

Every once in a while, the floor master would waltz through and "give me a break" and have me do quality control for an hour or two, which entailed hand-sorting through an actual ton of spark plugs, checking their threadings (threads?) under a microscope. The monotony was broken once per day when "the hotties" from the office in the floor above us would walk past our section for lunch and back. "The hotties" were a bunch of wrinkly 40+ year olds and apparently the hottest women on the planet, according to my co-workers.

My first job after the military, just before college, was half-and-half accounting and freight dispatcher. The former half was boring as everloving gently caress, worst thing I could do was mismatch a several million euro transaction with the wrong account and send a dozen people in three offices up the walls fixing my fuckup. Freight dispatcher was actually more interesting, since my major back in 2006 was logistical information systems, and fuckups would have more practical consequences than just lost money in the aether.
My proudest mistake was sending a 40-ton truck loaded with hazmat into the downtown area of some town because noone told me that our business partner there identified his plant on the outskirts from the office downtown with some innocuous line in the address.

Cue me getting a call from a cop attempting to translate for the furious polish driver who got stuck in the no-poo poo cobblestone pedestrian precinct he thought would be a good choice to drive into. Driver was blaming me, Cop waved it away and assured me it wasn't my responsibility, he just thought he'd let me know so we'd be aware the shipment wouldn't be going anywhere since the truck was legally not allowed to leave under its own power because ~german reasons~ and they had to shut down the main traffic artery of that town while towing it out and the shipping company would probably be trying to blame it on us.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
My only other real paying job before Navy was selling blacklights, KISS memorabilia, and lube to people at a Spencer's Gifts for about a year.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm the only one in my family and often out of whatever group of people that haven't worked food service in any way

I mean I tip well and of course respect and treat all food workers well. I feel like I understand all their frustrations and complaints just by proxy from siblings and ex-gfs bringing that poo poo home

Anyways what I'm saying is don't ever date a waitress (waiter for n4i) or chef past the age of like 22. Hostess is cool. And just lol @ you if she's a bartender

Eagerly awaiting the GIP dude that was a strip club bouncer. Always one

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I've been offered that job a few times, people think PI's are poor and have to take whatever money comes their way I guess. Even had one ask me to do it and wear a shirt that showed I used to be a Marine. Part of me was tempted to say yes just so I could show up in my old pink Air Wing shirt that the COs wife gave a bunch of us for breast cancer awareness.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I worked in a party store. I no longer like parties or people.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Also, I just impulse purchased the Death of Superman Lives Documentary, because I'm seriously curious about a movie so bad Nic Cage had to walk away

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also, I just impulse purchased the Death of Superman Lives Documentary, because I'm seriously curious about a movie so bad Nic Cage had to walk away

Let me know if that's worth the watch

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well I did work as a doorman for about a year. That was right after I got out though. I was thrilled to have quit that job.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Enjoying all this minimum wage chat. Have a butt.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Pretty legit butt

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Rad Lieutenant posted:

That is a fine butt

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That is a fine butt

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Let me know if that's worth the watch

Everyone I know that has seen it speaks pretty highly of it. They also make sure to get the $20 version, because the Kevin Smith interview they do in the special features is really funny/insightful

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That is a fine butt

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I'd crawl into that booty hole with all the spittle and ferocity of a Baltimore Ravens' pre-game motivational speech.

THIS IS WHERE WE EAT!!!!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Heh. Yo.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

It was actually dope. There was a pool of four couriers for a pretty successful law firm, the kind where one of the top partners has multiple Lambos. On certain days one of the paralegals would tell the head messenger guy she had some subpoenas. The paralegal was also a pretty sexy 33 year old grandmother if you can believe it. That's not relevant to the story at all by the way. Anyway, the head guy would grab one of use younger dudes with a couple of subpoenas and we'd take off in his clunker of a car and set the other guys to do bitchwork like delivery interoffice mail all day. He usually picked me because the other guys were a) a 40 year old burn out who got fired from his pizza delivery job and b) this kid who was always high as gently caress and kept trying to borrow money. We'd go grab breakfast and take our sweet time since we were getting paid hourly and there usually wasn't a rush. The paralegal would give us some documents on the guy, like where he lived/worked, what kinda car, sometimes where his wife worked. It was kind of like being a poo poo-tier gumshoe.

Some funny poo poo happened, like the dude was at work, and usually they knew they were gonna be served at some point. So I'd go in the business and ask for the guy, and usually his coworkers would tip him off so he'd try to sneak out the back where my boss was waiting. You'd hear a muffled, "Aw, gently caress!" from out in an alleyway or whatever.

One dude was at his house but wouldn't open the door so we kinda staked his place out, and then blocked off the only road with our car when he tried to fly the coop.

It was a pretty interesting way to earn a paycheck for a while but it stopped being fun when I had to serve divorce documents to a dude in prison who didn't know his wife was leaving him. Also I wasn't allowed to say, "You got served" or wear cool costumes like in Pineapple Express.

dat gmilf tho

gotta be fox news, right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Suck a fart out of that rear end

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

mexican news weather girl

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

Fox News is blonde and (I assume) wholesome white pancake butts.

THAT is definitely south of Texas.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A fine tradition of flat white girl butt

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePG6zUYvUZg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Booblord Zagats posted:

Kevin Smith interview they do in the special features is really funny/insightful

does not compute

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Two Finger posted:

does not compute

I've always liked Kevin Smith doing commentary much more than his movies/writing. He's got a really good practical and theoretical understanding of film and writing, even if his movies don;t normally show it, he kinda proves the whole "Those who can't, teach" proverb.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Two Finger posted:

does not compute

You really need to see his college speaking panels.

It's entertaining and funny.

Google the time he told USC students about meeting Prince.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/renaudmargry/videos/1161756000506087/

:stwoon:

• Locked thread