Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Bravo Gilganixon, well done. Keep us updated on anymore copies, that was an amazing ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
It really was a great CYOA. Hope you do more in the future once your hand heals.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Definitely one of the best CYOAs I've ever seen. Excellent work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

This was excellent! My favorite part was Pixie Town. Great work!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The high water mark of CYOAs across the internet. Bravo!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I laughed, I cried, I vomited. Thank you, Gil.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fantastic CYOA. Clever as all hell.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Been a fun ride, thanks OP :)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Alimony Squirrel
Mar 10, 2006

a bip and a bop

Alimony Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 30, 2015

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wooo

go elf

more Karol translations please

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That was a helluva job - thanks for sticking with it so diligently.

assemblyrequired
Jul 14, 2014

One hell of a thread, thank you so much op.
Keep us updated on how your hand is holding up, I'm worried about that

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

This was brilliant. You're goin' places, OP.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

dude you could literally flesh this out all the way and sell it, either via a traditional cyoa game system or some sort of steam game. nerds everywhere would line up to throw you money

edit: i mean Gilganixon, although that is a pretty nice gif, djwetmouse

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Claven666 posted:

dude you could literally flesh this out all the way and sell it, either via a traditional cyoa game system or some sort of steam game. nerds everywhere would line up to throw you money

edit: i mean Gilganixon, although that is a pretty nice gif, djwetmouse

I have the exact same sentiments, you could easily turn this into a real product. I bought a couple of CYOA books at a Canadian comic convention a few years ago so there's definitely still a market for it, especially on e-books.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Just want to say thank you for this horrible, horrible thing.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I promised myself I wouldn't cry and now look at me. Thank you for this amazing foray into the life of a fundamentally broken half-elf man child.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

:golfclap:

Rediscovering this Elf's debauchery has helped me through a dark time, OP. The world needs you doing this full time.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

fancy sauces posted:

Rediscovering this Elf's debauchery has helped me through a dark time, OP. The world needs you doing this full time.

Since he hasn't posted a reply in a bit im afraid his wound might've finally gotten the better of him:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Since he hasn't posted a reply in a bit im afraid his wound might've finally gotten the better of him:(

I'm going to pull through.

Final Update

Get your commemorative PDF here, in order and with a couple of very small extras included that probably weren't funny enough to make the thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-g-7pbvX3HJb0NPSWZBbEdpOVE/

It took a bit of doing but I crammed the whole thing into 28 MB. Turns out if you're not saving everything as a PNG they don't take up as much space. Who knew.

Thanks again all y'all for sticking with it to the bitter (for Jeff) end, and thanks for this, really made my day:

-------

Claven666 posted:

I might have a stab at it some time, although I don't know if it'll be the Bastard Elf or if I'd rather try a new setting. I'll definitely be looking for internet funnymen to help out when the time comes so I'll start a thread here if I do it.

fancy sauces posted:

That's good to hear, I'm glad the Elf could do some good for someone.

Epic High Five posted:

This was incredible and I love you forever for doing it. What a great ending and I'm glad I stumbled onto the project so early. loving elves man, loving elves

Once the pdf is put together I'd appreciate a chance to name my price and send a little something your way for all the hard work you put into this for the expense that came with trying to land enough copies of the book to make a proper CYOA out of. Also toward your mounting medical bills relating to your book-maimed finger

edit - OH, and if you get bored enough and find a new scanner (even Goodwill has them laying around now!) maybe some alternate endings?

I won't get a chance to scan in those endings any time soon, but we saw most of the good ones. There was another ending which I had scanned in for if we had gone to the dairy, but the gag that hinged on is spoiled by the main ending we got to. I deleted it because I didn't think we'd use it and now the book's gone, sorry!

As for money, you absolutely don't have to pay a thing. If you're adamant about forcing money upon my ungrateful self, send me a PM or email (gilganixon at hermitskull dot com) and I'll send you the details. I'll probably waste it all on beer.

Al Borland posted:

awesome! Keep the thread open till we get the PDF of this in the OP.

ALso it seems that Herman's website has been taken over by some dubious artist!

I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Anyway yeah, some dodgy fellow's taken over the place.

the_steve posted:

Hell yes, this was a fun game. Makes me wish I had gotten into them when I was younger.
I may have been too young though. I did like the other, more traditional CYOA books growing up, but I think I'd have had a blast with these more in-depth ones.

The Sorcery! series for Android and iOS is meant to be a fantastic port of the best of those books. I used to have them along with about thirty other of the Fighting Fantasy series when I was a kid. Spent a lot of time on my own rolling dice.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Thanks for the ride man. Really good CYOA. Couldn't help but notice that your first copy uses the author Herman S. Skull while your new one says Hermit Skull. Must be a change of pen names.

Also Mr. Skull's website looks recently updated! I really like "Food for the Moon" and "Wrath Panda"

Herman's the author, Hermit's the business. I think. The books aren't consistent about this and the 2FF forums are literally the worst place on the internet. Luckily they're sealed off behind some early '00s comedy website on a forum you have to pay to join, so no one is really exposed to them any more.
Thanks for the kind words.

Well, I guess this thread's about done. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here. Seeya next time I find one of these books lying around!

• Locked thread