Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alternate title: 3D Ghost Leg

What the hell is this?
Digimon World Re:Digitize is more or less an update and a remake of the original Digimon World. For years this game was only available in Japanese, but no longer! A full English translation patch has come out, and that’s what we will be sharing with you all. AP and I were waiting in bated breath for the final release, and it has finally arrived, so we are going to give it a full run and see what this game is all about.

But we’ve seen Digimon World already.
This is true. Orange Fluffy Sheep did an insane, game-breaking SSLP, and RunButton is doing a VLP right now. But this is different. This has new Digimon (up through Savers, I believe), some new mechanics, a new plot, and let’s not forget the ANIME CUTSCENES.

Long story short, it’s only the same game as the original at the base level.

Who are you?
Mikeycp and me, Another Person (AP for short), make up Game Kiwi, an in-joke turned into a real thing. I live in Wales, and he lives somewhere on the West Coast of the US. We’ve been streaming together for a while now and wanted to give doing non-live videos a shot. We try to talk about the game as much as we can, but we might veer off-topic if we hit a wall of training at that 3D Ghost Leg machine. We’re just out to hang out and have some fun! We hope you’ll join us in that!

When will you release?
This first week it will only be this one, but in the future we are going try to have bi-weekly releases, shooting for Tuesday/Friday. Things may come up and disrupt things, but we’ll do our best!

Anything else you have to say for yourselves?
Just a bit more.

We haven’t seen much of this game at time of recording, so we’re going in with about as little information as most of you. That said, if you do know more, let’s keep spoilers to a minimum. Little stuff is fine, but let’s not go blabbing any potential plot things in the thread.

AP will be taking the controls while Mikey takes the role of co-host, and probable expert on Digimon, having seen most of the seasons, making him more likely to recognise some of the newer guys than me, AP.

We will be having a bit audience of participation in this LP! When we get new Digimon we will take suggestions from the thread and will name it whichever we like best.

And last, but not least, here is the full opening cutscene translated into English, just in case you were wondering what was actually happening in that cutscene

Other than that, please sit back enjoy Digimon World Re:Digitize.
Together I’m sure we’ll have an excellent Digimon Adventure!

Episodes

Full playlist

Episode 1 - Black Smoke
Episode 1 Remastered - Black Smoke
Episode 2 - Bus Nerd
Episode 2 Remastered - Bus Nerd
Episode 3 - The Rematch
Episode 3 Remastered - The Rematch
Episode 3.5 - "BELIEVER"
Episode 4 - It's Poop Time
Episode 5 - Gym Rat
Episode 6 - Digi-merican Gladiator
Episode 6.5 EXTRA - Digimon World 2
Episode 7 - Dappermon
Episode 8 - Rocks in the Pond
Episode 9 - The Longest Montage
Episode 10 - 1 stone is 14 Pounds
Episode 11 - Pull Harder
Episode 12 - Bad Directions
Episode 13 - The Search for Palmon
Episode 14 - It's a Log
Episode 15 - 'Found' Tsukaimon, at Last
Episode 16 - Never Ask AP for Directions
Episode 17 - Welcome to Fetchquest Ruins
Episode 18 - Sega Bass Fishing
Episode 19 - MarineAngemon is the Worst
Episode 20 - The Greatest Japanese Dramatist
Episode 21 - Buff Patamon
Episode 21.5 - The Coliseum Episode
Episode 22 - Countdown to Disappointment
Episode 23 - The View from Disappointment Hill
Episode 23.99 - INSANITY BABY
Episode 24 - Sewer Shark
Episode 25 - File City Scholar
Episode 26 - Stylin' n Profilin'
Episode 27 - Backtrack Chapters
Episode 28 - Garbo Dad
Episode 29 - Territory Tension
Episode 29.5 - Digimon Masters Online
Episode 30 - Tag Champs
Episode 31 - Clone Wars
Episode 32 - Yamaguchi-gumi
Episode 33 - Daily Grind
Episode 34 - Revenge
Episode 35 - Finland
Episode 36 - Weakness
Episode 37 - Roids
Episode 38 - A Contender
Episode 39 - V.I.P.
Episode 39.1225 - Merry Christmas
Episode 40 - Solo AP
Episode 41 - A Trash Tier Tourney
Episode 42 - Butt Cam
Episode 42.1 - Skip This
Episode 42.2 - Still Skippable
Episode 42.3 - Final Skippable
Episode 43 - Run the Gauntlet
Episode 44 - Down to the Wire
Episode 45 - Dragonlord
Episode 46 - Roundup Pt. 1
Episode 47 - Roundup Pt. 2

I hope you find this entertaining and follow along as we play through the game!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=448313790

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

by Rose Spirit

by Daigerus

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 1, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm here too! I'll just take this one as well in case I can think of anything to do with it/need it for something!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Digimon World 1 is a Bad Game.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 16, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Another Person posted:

AP and I were waiting in bated breath for the final release, and it has finally arrived, so we are going to give it a full run and see what this game is all about.

Who are you then

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Who are you then

Mikey was originally gonna post the op because he was going to edit the video and upload it, but then I got video software and did it myself. I proof read it but not very well it seems, so I am an idiot.

e; not about to destroy the evidence tho, i am proud of my mistakes

e2; also, I didn't mention it in the video, but anyone watching, if you know how to get a cool digimon and want to show it off, tell me how to get it (but not what it is to protect the element of surprise) and I will try and get it. I don't really know what direction to train a Digimon in to get a good one.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Or alternatively send me a PM about it and I'll try to guide him toward it secretly. I've already looked up which Digimon are in the game for this exact purpose, so that wouldn't be spoiling something for me.

e: vv Actually I like doing it this way better. Having some mystery goals to work toward will be fun!

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 30, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
Give your agumon 80 def and he should meet a certain adult level digimon's requirements.

That should get you started.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That is precisely the sort of tip I mean.

Another thing we should get going - suggest some Digimon names. Mikey is gonna die sooner or later, some sweet names would rule.

Also, I figure I could start up some Digimon anime chat. I have never watched anything past Season 3. What later ones should I watch? I will sit and watch all of it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Because it is relevant: Have some pictures of the 15th anniversary Tag and Crest set

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

mateo360 posted:

Because it is relevant: Have some pictures of the 15th anniversary Tag and Crest set

I was super jealous in the Digimon thread. I still am now.

That thing is super rad.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That is preeeeetty cool. How many were made?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Another Person posted:

That is preeeeetty cool. How many were made?

Don't know but it was a Premium Bandai product which ment I had to order through a middle man to get it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ahhhh, no chance of me getting one then. The 10 year old in me is upset.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Another Person posted:

Also, I figure I could start up some Digimon anime chat. I have never watched anything past Season 3. What later ones should I watch? I will sit and watch all of it.

Tips for post- tamers digimom? I can give a bit of info.

First thing: tamers is the best written show in the series. Everything else has its strengths focuaed elsewhere.

Frontier: avoid unless you just gotta see'em all. It had a cool idea but in short the charaters are rather weak, the main villain is such a huge disappointment that his xros wars arc was largely better, and thr best guy gets the shaft.

Savers: do you like the idea of saying "gently caress EVOLUTION TIERS AND gently caress RACISM TOO"? Savers does this. With a teenager punching monsters in the face. Masaru is cool. Touma is cool. The others are semi-useless. Just come prepared for a fun, dumb action show. Watch it subbed or skip because believer is great and the dub scraps it. Thst and the dub has censorship issues and rather poor quality acting.

Xros Wars is basically what would happen if you made a digimon show entirely around jogress/DNA evolution and super robot anime. Its pretty awesome and the insert themes are cool. The third arc is pretty bad but xros wars proper is great. Subbed again, digimon dubs aren't as good as they used to be.

Edit: I mentioned insert songs so I'll provide one. This is the theme for one of the villains from xros wars.
https://youtu.be/n0vEezTGJJs

nehezir fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 30, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mateo360 posted:

I feel happy to see this, but simultaneously, very old at the 15th anniversary part.

nehezir posted:

First thing: tamers is the best written show in the series. Everything else has its strengths focuaed elsewhere.

Frontier: avoid unless you just gotta see'em all. It had a cool idea but in short the charaters are rather weak, the main villain is such a huge disappointment that his xros wars arc was largely better, and thr best guy gets the shaft.

Savers: do you like the idea of saying "gently caress EVOLUTION TIERS AND gently caress RACISM TOO"? Savers does this. With a teenager punching monsters in the face. Masaru is cool. Touma is cool. The others are semi-useless. Just come prepared for a fun, dumb action show. Watch it subbed or skip because believer is great and the dub scraps it. Thst and the dub has censorship issues and rather poor quality acting.

Xros Wars is basically what would happen if you made a digimon show entirely around jogress/DNA evolution and super robot anime. Its pretty awesome and the insert themes are cool. The third arc is pretty bad but xros wars proper is great. Subbed again, digimon dubs aren't as good as they used to be.

Edit: I mentioned insert songs so I'll provide one. This is the theme for one of the villains from xros wars.

I mostly agree with this, but Savers still rubs me the wrong way with its love of cliches and the premise of Xros Wars is still pretty weird.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 30, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I'm down with that. Savers is really cheesy and that is accomplished through a lot of cliches.

And xros wars IS weird. That's most of the fun. The series needed a new approach that mixed things up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Xros Wars is very much like Adventure. In the beginning, they're feeling out the concept of what they want to do. It's got some lame duck moments but nothing that's really bad. It gets a bit better as it goes on until we get to around the mid point? then it gets great, like they hit it out of the ballpark and made insane strides in quality. Then it gets an unneccisary sequel set 2 years later that winds up driving the series into the ground and snapping its neck with enough force to sour you on the entire thing GOD 02 sucked...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'll try and check out some Xros Wars or Savers before we record later on today then, see what I think of it and talk about it a bit in the recording. Thanks for the suggestions!

e; yeeeeep, 5 mins in and I know Savers is for me. Already rules.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Fair warning though, the group who did most of the Digimon subs is...less than optimal.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
You know what? Savers reminded me oddly like an Anime Digimon World 2.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I never got to play DW2, it never came out on these shores. I will probably have to give it a shot some day to find out what it was really like. I only got the first, and 3 (2003 in this country, since it was technically the second we saw). Well, I got Rumble Arena too, but that doesn't count.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

nehezir posted:

Hey now, don't blame the dubbing crews for the US' hosed up television standards for animation. It was either Citramon or the episode getting skipped altogether so they went for the funnier option.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Another Person posted:

I never got to play DW2, it never came out on these shores. I will probably have to give it a shot some day to find out what it was really like. I only got the first, and 3 (2003 in this country, since it was technically the second we saw). Well, I got Rumble Arena too, but that doesn't count.

Imagine 3 factions. Each one has its own shop selling recruitment bribes. Only its members can buy them.
now imagine you're a human digicop. In a tank. Traveling slowly through dungeons shooting bribes at monsters and triggering traps. Traps that damage your tank's components.

But wait...your tank runs on fuel and the levels are randomly generated. You can't really learn the map to navigate better over time. This means skill isn't really a factor.

Basically this ends with you wandering arouararound aimlessly until a trap takes away your ability to see where you're going and you run out of fuel.

You raise your critters to about 8...and suddenly they stop leveling. You have to fuse them to raise their cap...marginally. and you can't fuae just anything. So grind up 2, fuse into 1, grab another and grind that, then fuse, grind, wash, repeat until you finally unlock a decent level.

DW2 is my least favorite in the franchise. The DS games do a similar leveling system much better.

Chimera-gui posted:

Hey now, don't blame the dubbing crews for the US' hosed up television standards for animation. It was either Citramon or the episode getting skipped altogether so they went for the funnier option.
I can at least blame them for lackluster voice quality, right?

The data squad dub is so bad even crispin freeman couldn't save it.

nehezir fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 30, 2015

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I remember loving the hell out of DW 2. I haven't played it since it came out, so it may be nostalgia, but I'm probably going to do a side-video or two on it at some point.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

nehezir posted:

I can at least blame them for lackluster voice quality, right?

The data squad dub is so bad even crispin freeman couldn't save it.

I've heard worst honestly, this dub is still better than Wulin Warriors.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

If playing digisheriff and shooting bribes tickles your childhood fancy, rock on.

It's nostalgia. It doesnt have to make sense.

Chimera-gui posted:

I've heard worst honestly, this dub is still better than Wulin Warriors.

I have too. I sat through Green Green dubbed, which is like multiplying by stupid.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I will say that Ben Diskin as Shoutmon is pretty fitting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3EH0yPvIoI

Like I know he has yells a lot but you can't really expect someone named Shoutmon having an indoor voice.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

He's a legitimately good VA but I think he's done better roles.

This interview does make him seem like a cool guy though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Also Dodomon is linked to two lines: Gaomon and Dodomon's main line, Dorumon.

Additionally, Jijimon does in fact appear in Tamers alongside Babamon. It also appears in both Frontier and Xros Wars/Fusion but does not appear in Adventure.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2015

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

remember that sometimes you will need high atk stats to fulfill conditions like pulling objects or moving/breaking/clearing objects. We're talking like 500-700 to get through. .

I've played a little of this game(basically raised like 4 perfects/ultimates) so I know a bit but not a tremendous amount.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I was really interested in this so it was disappointing it never crossed the ocean. The original was so weird and there's not really been anything else like it.

The character design just screams Devil Survivor. I love how you can tell that artist from a mile away.

Also I'm going to suggest Pocket as a name.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McDragon posted:

The character design just screams Devil Survivor. I love how you can tell that artist from a mile away.

I like the guy's basic character designs... I just wish the guy knew how to draw women with clothes on...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I like the guy's basic character designs... I just wish the guy knew how to draw women with clothes on...

Noted naked woman, wearing the archaic item that no woman has ever worn known as a skirt. Look at the way she bares her elbows, neck and the upper part of her thighs

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Well, we just recorded like 4 hours of episodes, poo poo got done. Look forward to a new ep somewhere between midday and evening, UK time.

Note - disregard any episode number I say that is not the start of an episode. Turns out I am super bad at feeling out time spaces, and to make episodes watchable I will need to make them shorter than I say in the ep. Otherwise you would get 1 hour episodes, which would be a massive endurance.

Also, disregard any time I talk about framerates. Turns out the game recorded it smooth as a bell, even though the game did not feel it at times. It is super odd.

Chimera-gui posted:

Also Dodomon is linked to two lines: Gaomon and Dodomon's main line, Dorumon.

Additionally, Jijimon does in fact appear in Tamers alongside Babamon. It also appears in both Frontier and Xros Wars/Fusion but does not appear in Adventure.

I knew Jijimon was in one of them! I still think Jirya is Jijimon though. Can't convince 8 year old me otherwise.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think you mean Gennai, Jenrya was the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name Jianliang which was Henry from Tamers' original given name.

Speaking of names, I know this was likely unintentional but I find it funny that you named Agumon Mikey since Taiki Kudo's dub name is Mikey Kudo.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 31, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I think you mean Gennai, Jenrya was the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name Jianliang which was the original given name of Henry from Tamers.

Speaking of name, I know this was likely unintentional but I find it funny that you named Agumon Mikey since Taiki Kudo's dub name is Mikey Kudo.

I do not know where I got Jenrya from. I think I even said Gennai in the first ep. It has been a long day, haha. But yeah, as a kid, I always thought Gennai was Jijimon, and thought it was just some odd translation issue. He seemed to serve the same purpose, the chillass old dude who tells you what to do.

Also, absolutely unintentional. Cool fact though!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Nope. Gennai is just a weird data-man, much like myself.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Oh sweet I figured this translation patch was doomed to never see the light of day nice to finally see it done with an lp to boot.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I thought it was pretty doomed myself. Release date on the final version was pushed back so many times it started to feel like Duke Nukem Forever. It seems to be a very good translation so far though, so it seems very well worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I heard about it almost immediately but just let it fall off my radar until around last november. Been watching the blog like a hawk since. So far I'm pretty pleased with the translation.

• Locked thread