Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Roy Dotrice has a severe case of "old as gently caress". He is 92, so he was in his eighties for each of the previous two books. I imagine he's lost some range/discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He was going to play Pycelle on the show but had to drop out for health reasons. He took the smaller part of the Pyromancer in season 2.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Roy Dotrice has a severe case of "old as gently caress". He is 92, so he was in his eighties for each of the previous two books. I imagine he's lost some range/discipline.

It's strange how credible some of the female voices are still.

I wish they would dub Tyrion Lannister in the show with Roy Dotrice's version from the audiobooks because Peter Dinklage has the voice better suited to "the mountain" by the time this show gets an animated version.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Tyrion has a good 'battlefield voice', he isn't particularly aware of it but on a few occasions he notes that he seems to find 'his father's voice' and when he leads the sortie during the blackwater siege his impassioned speech seems to get the right results. I haven't listened to the audio books but I don't recall it ever being implied that tyrion sounds timid or anything like that.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, to me Dinklage embodies Tyrion so fully that I actually forget there are a few real differences (besides book Tyrion having less face left). Most obviously, Book Tyrion is like ten years younger than Dinklage is and probably has significantly less gravitas (most people do).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, to me Dinklage embodies Tyrion so fully that I actually forget there are a few real differences (besides book Tyrion having less face left). Most obviously, Book Tyrion is like ten years younger than Dinklage is and probably has significantly less gravitas (most people do).

I also see book T as pretty loving ugly and misshapen. The kind of person that makes attractive people wince to look at - and resent immediately for no good reason.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
So, Dinklage for the next Mad Max movie, yeah?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

rejutka posted:

So, Dinklage for the next Mad Max movie, yeah?

Anything that gives that gorgeous little halfman more work is cool and good.

I realize that includes Pixels and I'm standing by it. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Game of Thrones is apparently getting an 8th season and that prequel GRRM was wanting.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

TK-42-1 posted:

Anything that gives that gorgeous little halfman more work is cool and good.

I realize that includes Pixels and I'm standing by it. :colbert:

I realize Adam Sandler is a person/entity around here that gets nothing but poo poo but, personally, he seems to have his head screwed on and will do his level best to throw mates money and a fun time. I liked Blended, it wasn't great and it was fairly lazy but, gently caress it, I liked it. Pixels seems the same - kinda poo poo but funny enough.

I still want him to do things like Punch-Drunk Love, mind, Jesus, he is so good in that movie it is surreal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Duckbag posted:

Dinklage's accent is embarrassing as gently caress and hamstrings his performance.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Game of Thrones is apparently getting an 8th season and that prequel GRRM was wanting.

link plz

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kcroy posted:

link plz

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-might-showtime-game-thrones-potential-eight-se-223137

Basically the suits want it but it's unclear as of now.

I give it 50/50 odds of an 8th season and pretty near certain for a prequel if GRRM is the only guy that really needs to say yes.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Zephyrine posted:

I'm currently listening through the audiobooks. They were great from 1-3 but for 4-5 and the voice actor has gone complete bonkers.

He gave Daenerys a the voice normally used for small thin and feeble men.

The same voice was given to Arya

Little finger used to share a voice with Varys and that worked out well but then little finger got a generic voice instead.

Jaime Lannister and the knight of flowers literally had their voices switched which made their conversation pretty awkward. (Jaime gets his voice back later)

In the scene where Daenerys watches over a fighting pit the voice actor literally switches Strong Belwas voice to "small thin, feeble man" and then all of a sudden has the voice of Davos Seaworth before going back to "small man"

Also the pronunciations are all over the place. He pronounces Targaryen at least three different ways and sometimes Brienne is pronounced "Brian"

Surely there must be enough money involved in the making of these for a voice actor to warrant listening to the previous book to get a reminder on what sounds like what?

or at least someone listening through it and going "We're not paying for this until you redo these lines"

Maybe not a good excuse, but still. (44 seconds in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHo_BqKbkCM

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

computer parts posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-might-showtime-game-thrones-potential-eight-se-223137

I give it 50/50 odds of an 8th season and pretty near certain for a prequel if GRRM is the only guy that really needs to say yes.

That article makes it sound like the network would give them more seasons, not that more are actually happening. The show runners have been fairly open about not wanting more than seven.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
MONIES, ALL THE MONIES, THE DWARF DEMANDS HIS PENNY!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I mean the coin, not the midget chick.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

"What's that? A prequel season we can run that gives me another year to not write the next book?"

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Has the show progressed the story further than the books now? I'm nearly done with book 5 yet I still managed to get spoiled by that article. I felt so confident passing that spoiler tag yet I was burned again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zephyrine posted:

Has the show progressed the story further than the books now? I'm nearly done with book 5 yet I still managed to get spoiled by that article. I felt so confident passing that spoiler tag yet I was burned again.

Pretty much all of it is right at the point where ADWD ends. They also made up some poo poo about Sansa coming to Winterfell so they could save money on sets.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's some minor poo poo that's delayed until S6, but the major storylines are caught up.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

computer parts posted:

Pretty much all of it is right at the point where ADWD ends. They also made up some poo poo about Sansa coming to Winterfell so they could save money on sets.

They have sets? I have looked up a few scenes on youtube (Oberyn Martell fighting the mountain and the battle of the blackwater) and I could have sworn that pretty much every single set in the series looked like this

Everything that isn't a human looks like Skyrim.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

They have some nice locations that get digitally spruced up, the sets are all over the place, though.

Oh, and there's definitely places in the world that look like Skyrim and they rule:
(credit: me)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They just cast Ian McShane for season 6. They haven't disclosed what character he is playing but only that his character doesn't have much screen time but is still a pivotal figure in the events of the season. My money is on Euron. I have a feeling they'll drop Victarion and Aeron altogether and just have Euron be opposed by Asha/Yara.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's either Euron or Victarion, there really aren't any other good options unless HBO is going whole cloth.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Looking that guy up, and, okay I know him.

Should I watch deadwood? I saw the first three episodes and I had whatever the equivalent of a diabetic coma is but from hearing the word oval office too much instead of eating too much sugar.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've heard it works with The Sopranos and The Wire as this three-stage analysis of the Birth, the Peak, and the Decline of the American Empire but I never got into Deadwood for the same reason.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
he's victarion if euron is daario, and euron otherwise

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Looking that guy up, and, okay I know him.

Should I watch deadwood? I saw the first three episodes and I had whatever the equivalent of a diabetic coma is but from hearing the word oval office too much instead of eating too much sugar.

It's good but it's hurt by its very abrupt ending. Definitely worth watching.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I hope this means they can get Penelope Cruz in as his hot daughter as well.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Should I watch deadwood?

If you have lovely taste you're better off skipping it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like ASoIaF so I guess I should not watch deadwood.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Her oval office became the world.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

He would also be a very, very good Randyll Tarly. Or Maester Marwyn, since they seem to actually be doing Oldtown.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Zephyrine posted:

I could have sworn that pretty much every single set in the series looked like this

I got a tour of the in door sets here in Belfast before the latest season aired and they're ridiculously small. Like our group of 15 were cramped standing in that Hall with all the faces so I think it's fair to say the cgi works the magic. The wall is also like 15 feet tall and has the elevator thing but that's all.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mind the walrus posted:

I've heard it works with The Sopranos and The Wire as this three-stage analysis of the Birth, the Peak, and the Decline of the American Empire but I never got into Deadwood for the same reason.

I got past the oval office, forced my way through a season, and just didnt give a poo poo about any of the characters, and left it at that.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Abrupt/lovely ending and missing last season aside, Deadwood is tied with The Wire as my favorite series. Partly since I love westerns, and partly because Olyphant/McShane loving kill it every time they're on screen.

Part of me is still an adolescent manchild too so the million uses of oval office/cocksucker/gently caress are endlessly entertaining. COCKSUCKER

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deadwood is pretty good for two seasons, but the third season is like half garbage and the ending is the worst.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Abrupt/lovely ending and missing last season aside, Deadwood is tied with The Wire as my favorite series. Partly since I love westerns, and partly because Olyphant/McShane loving kill it every time they're on screen.

Part of me is still an adolescent manchild too so the million uses of oval office/cocksucker/gently caress are endlessly entertaining. COCKSUCKER

The swearing always seemed odd to me in ASoIaF

People will go "My lady. Pray tell you had a safe journey. Would that I could accompany you further" And then all of a sudden "If you don't shut your mouth I'll stake your oval office on a tent pole and then let the horses gently caress you in the rear end"

Meanwhile I get the impression that R.R Martin is giggling over his typewriter whenever he uses the word "niggardly". "You can't touch me Sharpton. It's a word, look it up"

That and I feel like he gets a certain pleasure from using the word "bitch" to describe dogs. I swear 9/10ths of all dogs in this series are female just so R.R Martin can write "bitch" a thousand times and then sell it to people.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
And then he spends the rest of the night wearing nothing but skin-tight black chaps, pushing acupuncture needles one by one into his strangely vibrating rear end as he chuckles messily into the trough of cheetohs from which he ceaselessly eats.